Groups

Huge tower block fully alight in London... :(

bbc.co.uk/new…625

A huge fire has engulfed a tower block in Latimer Road, west London, with images suggesting the flames have spread to all 24 storeys.
    The fire at Grenfell Tower on the Lancaster West Estate was reported at 01:16 BST and about 200 firefighters are tackling the blaze.
    The Metropolitan Police said "an evacuation process is under way".
    The BBC's Andy Moore said the whole tower block was alight and there are fears the building might collapse.
    The London Fire Brigade say 40 fire engines have been sent to the tower.

Top comments

Original Poster

OllieSt

Yep, these guys run towards what normal people run away from.

I'll be dropping a box of chocs off at my local station this weekend I think. It's not much, but as said before, they get a lot of undeserved flack, so just a small token of appreciation.

123thisisme

Maybe not the time but, the twin towers where demolished (allegedly).

Accidental like. You're right, it's not the time for ridiculous conspiracy theories about an unrelated event.

Error440

heads need to roll

I would advise anyone to watch Newsnight on BBC IPlayer from last night. I'm disgusted with this country. Accidents do and will happen, but this negligence at the highest level. Poor people have died because they are poor, it's as simple as that. I'm not one to be at a loss for words too often but this is clear cut abuse. Residents have been bullied into accepting dangerous living conditions and have not be able to financially afford any legal representation over blatant shoddy work (and i'm being generous here). I know it's early days, but it's obvious whats happened. This cladding is great on new builds. You end up with a 'spectacular fire' and everyone walks out. Water sprinter systems are part and parcel of the install. I apologise to Error 440 (ignoring asbestos debacle), she's spot on. Slap on a pretty facade so the rich haven't got such a big eyesore to see out of the corner of their eyes, save a few quid a year on fuel bills. But hey ho let's put 600 lives in a deathtrap. Bradford, King Cross were tragic accidents, this is manslaughter/murder. I guess defence lawyers will spend whatever it takes to work around that, but that's will be just as disgusting as the actions taken upon the residents in the first place. Watch Newsnight from last night. It makes me sick and angry.

Firefighters turning up in 6 mins is meaningless when they get to a scene they can't possibly contain. New school builds do not require sprinkler systems, what are we think of.

Edited by: "OllieSt" 15th Jun

ssc1

all this good work talk on the news from the emergency services.. it's … all this good work talk on the news from the emergency services.. it's their job ffs people have died.

Sometimes I am astounded​ by the idiocy of things I read on the internet, well done you have surpassed most.
    206 Comments

Original Poster

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/10110/production/_96480856_de27-1.jpg

Thoughts are with those still in the building. Seen some tweets from people stuck inside... harrowing stuff.

As if that picture isn't bad enough, the videos are absolutely shocking.

Original Poster

Bo0td

As if that picture isn't bad enough, the videos are absolutely shocking.

I don't even know how you'd begin to evacuate a building like this.

Firefighters get a bad rep, quite frequently, but situations like this certainly make you appreciate what they do.

I really hope everyone has evacuated safely from this building, it's shocking seeing almost the whole building ablaze. It could all collapse down

miikeyblue

I don't even know how you'd begin to evacuate a building like … I don't even know how you'd begin to evacuate a building like this.Firefighters get a bad rep, quite frequently, but situations like this certainly make you appreciate what they do.

I never hear firefighters get a bad rep, only praise. Unless you mean employers wanting to rid of them or put austerity on them.

Hope there are no fatalities

Original Poster

splender

I never hear firefighters get a bad rep, only praise. Unless you mean … I never hear firefighters get a bad rep, only praise. Unless you mean employers wanting to rid of them or put austerity on them.

Perhaps it's just a local thing, I'm not sure. I've a few friends who work for other emergency services, and there are frequent digs at firefighters for just sitting around drinking tea. Seems really unfair in my opinion, they're ready to risk their lives to save others at a moments notice.

God save them

its council owned and had a refit a few years ago

its strange it is all alight, no sprinklers?

Just watched a video of a guy waving from a window for help harrowing stuff... hope everyone gets saved

Sad news - just watched a live feed a few mins ago showing someone still in the building and waving something out the window with helpers shouting "stick your head out the window"
    Hoping the loss of life is minimal as I cannot see how many could of survived such heat and smoke
    Edited by: "philphil61" 14th Jun

hoodr40

Just watched a video of a guy waving from a window for help harrowing … Just watched a video of a guy waving from a window for help harrowing stuff... hope everyone gets saved

You saw what I saw

Original Poster

Just listening to a guy on the BBC who was on the 2nd floor. He says he struggled to get out - and that anyone past the 4th floor would have found it immensely more difficult. He saw a woman holding a toddler at the window.

So, so sad.

philphil616 m ago

You saw what I saw

Just saw another video of him he's still alive but I think he's roughly on the 7th floor so I can't see how he's going to get out

youtube.com/wat…43E

^^a news channel showing various live streams of the fire^^

looked like the outer layer was not fire proof

OMG
    120 flats

Original Poster

A witness reporting it was started by a refrigerator exploding... to be confirmed, of course.

bbc.co.uk/new…008

Top video (posted @ 5.38am) explains the cause

If true
    Edited by: "philphil61" 14th Jun

Original Poster

Wongy110

OMG :(120 flats

Yep. So many families

“Several hundred would have been in there. It’s a question of est … “Several hundred would have been in there. It’s a question of establishing how many were in there at the time of the fire.”He said emergency centres had been set up nearby to accommodate people who had been evacuated from their homes. “We’re providing as much support as we can ... it’s quite hard to get accurate and up-to-date information but the council will be doing all that it can to work with residents who have been evacuated.”

He said the tower block was inspected at the time of its renovation last … He said the tower block was inspected at the time of its renovation last year. “We will have to await the studies as to what the source of this has been.

Nick Paget-Brown, the leader of the Kensington and Chelsea council

miles136

its strange it is all alight, no sprinklers?

​In my early 20s I lived in a highrise like that, it was a 60s build and no sprinklers. Basically if the fire alarm went off the lifts stopped working and 17 floors of people have to make it down 1 narrow staircase that the fire fighters have to come up!

my gym is right opposite this building, i know some of the regular gym heads live there. I hope they and everyone else is ok.....

Lets hope that all the residents were quick to get out.

Its simply awful news.

Saying there are fatalities, looks like the cladding went up in flames all over the building within 15 minutes after the original fire started.

You all believe the answer to your children's housing problems is a flat in a sky scrapper in Canning Town....

Although these terrible disasters are rare, with more and more towers going up and those that exist now aging I cant help but feel these incidents will be on the rise.
    Edited by: "groenleader" 14th Jun

So sad to see this :-(

so sad. People blaming the cladding, but with a communal heating system don't be so far to blame the cladding.

Grenfell Tower underwent a two-year £10m refurbishment as part of a wider transformation of the estate, that was completed last year.

Work included new exterior cladding and a communal heating system.

WheresMeNuts

So sad to see this :-(

I know right, it's so nuts

50 taken to hospital

Apparently 450 people live in these dwellings. I think only 100 officially have been accounted for. Hopefully all the confusion always associated with horrors of this nature will mean many residents have just not been head counted. Awful news.

This is utterly heartbreaking.

Original Poster

RuudBullit

This is utterly heartbreaking.

Isn't it just. Watched it unfold overnight, knowing so many wouldn't make it.

OMG, Terrible news to wake up too :(.

High rise building need to be made safer with better fire escapes, Perhaps emergency rope ladders that can be thrown out the windows, External fire exits on every floor.

Such sad sad news, so many will have been killed or injured. RIP those poor people.

shauneco

High rise building need to be made safer with better fire escapes, … High rise building need to be made safer with better fire escapes, Perhaps emergency rope ladders that can be thrown out the windows, External fire exits on every floor.

Shall we all pay up to get hundreds of these big properties done up to prevent, since any sentence that begins with , "should be...." costs money, effort and time when all these existing building risks are present with no money to remove hazard or re-house.

Questions will be asked. This was apparently a fridge that exploded in Number 16 on the 4th floor. Witness said the fire started shortly before 1am. However the fire alarm didn't appear to work until after 1.30am by that time the fire had already taken hold.

My thoughts are with all those affected by this tragedy.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764487
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …55102
      3. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2440
      4. Can i return jewellery to Argos? + quick rep98

See more discussions