Groups

HUKD BOOK CLUB

If anyone wants to swap or talk about any books in here please feel free to contribute...

links or a quick synopsis would be appreciated when talking about your fav books, or recomended titles,thanks

41 Comments

Original Poster

I will start things off :

My all time favorite book is American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/47/AmericanPsychoBook.jpg/200px-AmericanPsychoBook.jpg

American Psycho (1991) is a psychological thriller and satirical novel by Bret Easton Ellis. The story is told in the first person by fictitious serial killer and Manhattan businessman Patrick Bateman. The graphic violence and sexual content generated much controversy before and since publication.

I am looking to swap The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini for The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice if anyone is interested please advise

*hope this is ok in misc mods,please move if need be,thanks*

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card my all time favourite book....

en.wikipedia.org/wik…ders_Game[/url]

Ive just finished reading Mr.Happy by roger hargreaves ,
    i think it was brilliant :thumbsup:

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is easily my favourite set of books I have ever read.

Original Poster

mikebike;7108443

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card my all time favourite … Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card my all time favourite book....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enders_Game[/url]

thanks for the link mikebike, why is it your fav?

Charlie Scene;7108482

thanks for the link mikebike, why is it your fav?

Well I am 44 and read well over a thousand books I think and this one just grabbed me and I still remember it now about 20 years later.
    Superbly written crafted and executed and a great story in general.

Can someone read the great gatsby and tell me your views please

thanks

Original Poster

mikebike;7108551

Well I am 44 and read well over a thousand books I think and this one … Well I am 44 and read well over a thousand books I think and this one just grabbed me and I still remember it now about 20 years later.Superbly written crafted and executed and a great story in general.

wow,thats a lot of books! you know its a good book when it stays with you for so long and you could happily read it again:thumbsup:

Iv just started on The Bookseller of Kabul.

Original Poster

transit;7108456

Ive just finished reading Mr.Happy by roger hargreaves ,i think it was … Ive just finished reading Mr.Happy by roger hargreaves ,i think it was brilliant :thumbsup:

any other thoughts you would like to share on this?

Bora Horza;7108475

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is easily my favourite set of books … The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is easily my favourite set of books I have ever read.

how many books are involved in the set?

strike;7108568

Can someone read the great gatsby and tell me your views pleasethanks

no:thumbsup: who is it by mate?

Original Poster

muckyangel;7108588

i have heard of that one, who is it by?

Charlie Scene;7108618

i have heard of that one, who is it by?

Asne Seierstad. Its a true story. I it interseted me that they banned books in kabul

Charlie Scene;7108603

any other thoughts you would like to share on this?

Yes ok,I like the way Mr.Happy lives in Happyland and whenever anyone feels down he makes them happy again

Sometimes the storylines are quite tearful:thumbsup:

Charlie Scene;7108603

any other thoughts you would like to share on this?how many books are … any other thoughts you would like to share on this?how many books are involved in the set?no:thumbsup: who is it by mate?

F Scott Fitzgerald

Charlie Scene;7108579

wow,thats a lot of books! you know its a good book when it stays with you … wow,thats a lot of books! you know its a good book when it stays with you for so long and you could happily read it again:thumbsup:

I read two books a week on average. I read before I get up and before I go to sleep at night it seems to settle my mind. I escape into the world of the book I am reading and absorb every detail.

Original Poster

mikebike;7108702

I read two books a week on average. I read before I get up and before I … I read two books a week on average. I read before I get up and before I go to sleep at night it seems to settle my mind. I escape into the world of the book I am reading and absorb every detail.

its great that a book can do that for you, they are always so much better than any film adaptations usually too

Original Poster

muckyangel;7108641

Asne Seierstad. Its a true story. I it interseted me that they banned … Asne Seierstad. Its a true story. I it interseted me that they banned books in kabul

i know how oppresive is that? worth a read then?

strike;7108688

F Scott Fitzgerald

thanks,may check it out ;-)

this one sticks in my mind, read it donkeys years ago

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dT9CVa9LL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

A Priest sent to investigate a bleeding statue of Christ enlists his brother's help in testing the blood. His brother betrays his trust and uses the sample in an illegal experiment known as The Genesis Experiment...or Human cloning. The result: an infant Christ child is born that represents the second coming. Unaware of his pre-ordained mission in life to partake in the final battle, the young Messiah grows up to be a Musician becoming famous overnight when he releases his first CD and prompting Satan to find him and kill him before he realizes who he is.

Still enjoy Enid Blyton, reading The Wishing Chair and The faraway Tree with my daughter, beautiful, timeless fantasy.

Really liked The Last Don by Mario Puzo and theres another that I cannot remember at the mo, will update when it comes back to me

mikebike;7108702

I read two books a week on average. I read before I get up and before I … I read two books a week on average. I read before I get up and before I go to sleep at night it seems to settle my mind. I escape into the world of the book I am reading and absorb every detail.

I am the same mike - two books every week and its my escape also.

Just now i am reading my very first autobiography - Its Patrick Swayze's and very good but not normally an autobiography reader, prefer fiction

Great idea for a thread Charlie - I would rather swap a book than sell it.

Original Poster

excellant work,michellemoo thanks for taking the time to post the cover art and a synopsis for us. :thumbsup:

i used to love the enid blyton books :oops:

Original Poster

bossyboots;7109177

I am the same mike - two books every week and its my escape also.Just now … I am the same mike - two books every week and its my escape also.Just now i am reading my very first autobiography - Its Patrick Swayze's and very good but not normally an autobiography reader, prefer fictionGreat idea for a thread Charlie - I would rather swap a book than sell it.

thanks BB i never really like autobiographies tbh, i have read Cantona;my story and a few others ;-)

Charlie Scene;7109181

excellant work,michellemoo thanks for taking the time to post the cover … excellant work,michellemoo thanks for taking the time to post the cover art and a synopsis for us. :thumbsup:i used to love the enid blyton books :oops:

aaah, what a softie

this is the other one, although Im sure the cover was green, pretty hard work as its quite historically descriptive but I persevered and it was worth it in the end

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CKPE53Y6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Bursting with drama, heartbreak and horror, this extraordinary family portrait mirrors China's century of turbulence. Chang's grandmother, Yu-fang, had her feet bound at age two and in 1924 was sold as a concubine to Beijing's police chief. Yu-fang escaped slavery in a brothel by fleeing her "husband" with her infant daughter, Bao Qin, Chang's mother-to-be. Growing up during Japan's brutal occupation, free-spirited Bao Qin chose the man she would marry, a Communist Party official slavishly devoted to the revolution. In 1949, while he drove 1000 miles in a jeep to the southwestern province where they would do Mao's spadework, Bao Qin walked alongside the vehicle, sick and pregnant (she lost the child). Chang, born in 1952, saw her mother put into a detention camp in the Cultural Revolution and later "rehabilitated." Her father was denounced and publicly humiliated; his mind snapped, and he died a broken man in 1975. Working as a "barefoot doctor" with no training, Chang saw the oppressive, inhuman side of communism. She left China in 1978 and is now director of Chinese studies at London University. Her meticulous, transparent prose radiates an inner strength. Photos. BOMC alternate.
    Copyright 1991 Reed Business Information, Inc.

currently reading Empress Orchid - Ainchee Min and going to start Beslan: The Tragedy of School No. 1 afterwards :thumbsup:

Original Poster

some good book reading going on guys :-D

Charlie Scene;7109050

i know how oppresive is that? worth a read then?thanks,may check it out … i know how oppresive is that? worth a read then?thanks,may check it out ;-)

What an awesome book it is.!!! Doing it for A Level :whistling: and also read The Wasp Factory :whistling: Could do with views for work :thumbsup:

just finished reading "the girl with the dragon tattoo" by Larsson Stieg brilliant read can't wait to read the second and third in the series :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Keri;7109969

just finished reading "the girl with the dragon tattoo" by Larsson Stieg … just finished reading "the girl with the dragon tattoo" by Larsson Stieg brilliant read can't wait to read the second and third in the series :thumbsup:

yes didnt his son finish off the last book or something because the auther died :?

good,big books though :thumbsup:

Charlie Scene;7109181

i used to love the enid blyton books :oops:

me too :-D just got my kid into reading the famous five - he's loveing them

james herbert - the dark is great

still after nobody true tho

Banned

Just read the bible.
    Surely people don't belive this !

....I joke, I joke, I didn't read it i'm not a fiction man myself :-D

Favourite book probably shadowmancer

Charlie Scene;7109997

yes didnt his son finish off the last book or something because the … yes didnt his son finish off the last book or something because the auther died :?:

the way i read it the author wrote and delivered the 3 books then died some time after not sure though - have you read all 3?

what do you lot do with your books when you're finished with them?

i'm not the type to sell them, would rather just give them to a worthy cause or a charity shop or library or something.

i've got the enders game quartet i've just finished if anyone wants them - would have to be local to me, i.e. sunderland-ish, cos i ain't posting them

scrumpypaul;7110109

what do you lot do with your books when you're finished with them?i'm not … what do you lot do with your books when you're finished with them?i'm not the type to sell them, would rather just give them to a worthy cause or a charity shop or library or something.i've got the enders game quartet i've just finished if anyone wants them - would have to be local to me, i.e. sunderland-ish, cos i ain't posting them

mine go to friends then on to the charity shop, I have been known to buy some back too :oops:

has anybody read "her fearful symmetry" by audrey niffenegger - I've got that one on order can't wait to get stuck into it

Original Poster

Keri;7110028

the way i read it the author wrote and delivered the 3 books then died … the way i read it the author wrote and delivered the 3 books then died some time after not sure though - have you read all 3?

i havent read any! yet

scrumpypaul;7110109

what do you lot do with your books when you're finished with them?i'm not … what do you lot do with your books when you're finished with them?i'm not the type to sell them, would rather just give them to a worthy cause or a charity shop or library or something.i've got the enders game quartet i've just finished if anyone wants them - would have to be local to me, i.e. sunderland-ish, cos i ain't posting them

hiya, thats a generous offer mate,im sure if anyone local to you fancies them then it would be great - individual books will be easier to swap i think :thinking:

michelleleemoo;7110141

mine go to friends then on to the charity shop, I have been known to buy … mine go to friends then on to the charity shop, I have been known to buy some back too :oops:

i normally lend them out or borrow them from friends, i also give a lot to various charities and buy as many books from there as i can.

i do keep a few of my favs and some classics though :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Keri;7110189

has anybody read "her fearful symmetry" by audrey niffenegger - I've got … has anybody read "her fearful symmetry" by audrey niffenegger - I've got that one on order can't wait to get stuck into it

no, i have heard of the author though.

Charlie Scene;7110207

no, i have heard of the author though.

its the author of "the time travellers wife" which is also a brilliant read

Original Poster

Keri;7110224

its the author of "the time travellers wife" which is also a brilliant … its the author of "the time travellers wife" which is also a brilliant read

aah yes it is,thats still on my shelf unread :oops:

Charlie Scene;7110258

aah yes it is,thats still on my shelf unread :oops:

what are you messing about at - get it off the shelf and read it!:-D

Original Poster

strike;7108568

Can someone read the great gatsby and tell me your views pleasethanks

bought this today 50p from charity shop :thumbsup:

muckyangel;7108588

bought this book off fleabay last week when i saw this title here. Im half way trough... quite interestingly written...

have u finished?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller66
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382
      3. word association Game74044544
      4. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2468
      5. Spotify Family Premium share721

See more discussions