HUKD deals not as good as they used to be?

Posted 5th May
Does anyone have the feeling that the deals on HUKD are not as good as they used to be> The last really good deal I bought was many years ago. This isn't a criticism of HUKD or the community but I think genuine deals are much less common and harder to find.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
It’s changed for the worst in the time I’ve been a member, lots of non-deals and left wing political point scoring and one sided removal of comments from a number of threads by admin. Took a lot of the fun out of finding deals. I think quite a few deals are more advertising than genuine deals as well, but no surprise as the money is generated by all those referrals.
Ive stopped posting deals. I just comment or have a nosey on here now.

I used to post alot of poundland deals being a single mum. Then they banned me from posting deals from them. Apparantly “self promotion”

all my deals now go into moderation so i dont post anymore.

ive had mods delete my deal then post it themself.
Edited by: "Caroline_1993" 6th May
SaltyExpert06/05/2019 17:59

I, for one, do not understand the "expert programme"Does them finding …I, for one, do not understand the "expert programme"Does them finding multiple deals for the same category make them experts? Not in my eyes certainly. For me an expert would be an industry expert in said field. OK they might know more than the average Joe Bloggs about what they are posting, but the general public are very trusting when they see the word expert and may just go along with any advice given.I do appreciate the efforts of all those in the programme, they give away their time to do this for us all, wether they get an affiliation reward or not, I do not know. And for me this is my go to website whenever I am looking for something to purchase, or I am just browsing and commenting.

Honestly most of the time they're just spammers.
They post everything and anything, it's just a numbers game.
I wouldn't say they're experts, just people with more time on their hands.

Be friendly to people here and mediocre deals get hotter because they vote on the person rather than the deal.
Edited by: "teh.arn" 6th May
awiew56 m ago

Ever since they removed the FS/FT section we've lost some good members …Ever since they removed the FS/FT section we've lost some good members along with it. Now all we're getting is 400-600 degrees for average priced items and just because it's a new/favourable product.

And every iPhone deal no matter how good is massively downvoted purely because it’s an iPhone and every free vegan recipe non-deal goes red hot.
45 Comments
I thought the same. Not bought anything for ages, but would regularly buy stuff before.
I think most of the real bargains many of us managed to get were when Amazon had previous taken 20% (maybe 25%) off their prices at the Warehouse site. People were getting graphics cards, consoles, TVs etc at prices which were really amazing. I think with the more recent ones they've bumped up the prices before doing a % off deal.
I do agree that less of my purchases on here are impulse because it's just such a good deal even though I didn't massively need it and more things I buy I generally find myself and use this site as an indication of a price to beat.
I wasn't specifically thinking of Amazon but I agree in general deals on Amazon are harder to come by.
It’s quiet again and was the same as last year when they needed to dust off the flamedeer in middle of the year its a wonder we didn’t see them at Easter. Certainly not the site it used to be and we can’t tell now they removed the number of people online from the bottom of the page.
eslick1 h, 52 m ago

It’s quiet again and was the same as last year when they needed to dust o …It’s quiet again and was the same as last year when they needed to dust off the flamedeer in middle of the year its a wonder we didn’t see them at Easter. Certainly not the site it used to be and we can’t tell now they removed the number of people online from the bottom of the page.

To be honest I don't think it's recent from my experience. It's been the last few years. I don't actually see it getting any better.
It’s changed for the worst in the time I’ve been a member, lots of non-deals and left wing political point scoring and one sided removal of comments from a number of threads by admin. Took a lot of the fun out of finding deals. I think quite a few deals are more advertising than genuine deals as well, but no surprise as the money is generated by all those referrals.
Dan_Monkfield3 m ago

It’s changed for the worst in the time I’ve been a member, lots of non …It’s changed for the worst in the time I’ve been a member, lots of non-deals and left wing political point scoring and one sided removal of comments from a number of threads by admin. Took a lot of the fun out of finding deals. I think quite a few deals are more advertising than genuine deals as well, but no surprise as the money is generated by all those referrals.

Spot on.
Ever since they removed the FS/FT section we've lost some good members along with it. Now all we're getting is 400-600 degrees for average priced items and just because it's a new/favourable product.
awiew56 m ago

Ever since they removed the FS/FT section we've lost some good members …Ever since they removed the FS/FT section we've lost some good members along with it. Now all we're getting is 400-600 degrees for average priced items and just because it's a new/favourable product.

And every iPhone deal no matter how good is massively downvoted purely because it’s an iPhone and every free vegan recipe non-deal goes red hot.
I believe it is also because prices have gone up in general and companies have clamped down on promotions. As a small example, Tyrrell crisps used to be routinely available for £1 but now, the "sale" price is £1.25 in the big grocery stores.
I disagree I managed to get 2 white flamedeer this year and I've got loads of badges!
I think there’s a few things going in

I think prices have increased generally and promotions are no longer has good. Long time members are used to seeing better deals.

3rd party Amazon sellers are banned so lots of good deals are no longer allowed to be posted.

Companies are likely to have learn from previous glitches and so they will be less frequent now.

The expert programme I think has changed things firstly it has put some members off posting as they feel everyone should be rewarded, then on the flip side people wanting to be part of programme are churning out deal after deal wanting to get selected even if the deals aren’t that great.

Another point voting now seems to be about wether or not people like a product or not ( with fashion that is subjective) and big discount deals go cold.

It does seem quite at the moment too.
deleted216501
It's boring and too corporate these days. It used to feel like a platform for everybody and anybody to post and find bargains, but now it feels more like a platform for targetting us for profit making.
Less bargains and glitches due to companies being wiser and closing loopholes quickly.
Not the fault of this site.

On a positive note, the removal of racist comments and right wing hate speech has been a welcome change.
Everybody’s skint. Hard times
Uranus1 h, 39 m ago

Less bargains and glitches due to companies being wiser and closing …Less bargains and glitches due to companies being wiser and closing loopholes quickly.Not the fault of this site. On a positive note, the removal of racist comments and right wing hate speech has been a welcome change.

Says Uranus
It started going downhill from 14th December 2011 tbh
Too profit based, too many inconsistent MOD decisions and too much PC bs-iterty. Take the recent Ramadan “free meal from Mosques” post. It’s not a deal, it’s a religious precedent that followers do, and it’s not something that you’re open to abuse at will. I have no issue with the subject, but it’s 100% a misc item and even then, as politics and religion are banned, it should be thread locked. I pointed this out and the mods deleted MY comment?? Ridiculous
Uranus06/05/2019 14:07

Less bargains and glitches due to companies being wiser and closing …Less bargains and glitches due to companies being wiser and closing loopholes quickly.Not the fault of this site. On a positive note, the removal of racist comments and right wing hate speech has been a welcome change.

Replaced with left wing censorship.
.MUFC.1 h, 15 m ago

It started going downhill from 14th December 2011 tbh

Like your club!
BernieSlam06/05/2019 17:03

Replaced with left wing censorship.

Feel free to report any politics.

Also, as someone who just joined a couple of weeks ago, how would you know anything about what was/wasn't allowed on here in the past?
Surely you aren't a banned user posting under a new name by any chance are you?
Edited by: "Uranus" 6th May
Uranus3 h, 6 m ago

"Anything that contradicts my opinion is fascist right wing hate speech!!!"
Uranus5 m ago

Feel free to report any politics.Also, as someone who just joined a couple …Feel free to report any politics.Also, as someone who just joined a couple of weeks ago, how would you know anything about what was/wasn't allowed on here in the past?Surely you aren't a banned user posting under a new name by any chance are you?

May come as a surprise to you, but you don't need an account to view this website, thus, people often browse without one!
Uranus06/05/2019 17:09

..... Surely you aren't a banned user posting under a new name by any …..... Surely you aren't a banned user posting under a new name by any chance are you?

That really is just a bit too rich coming from you of all people. Anyway, enough of your faux outrage - best of luck in the play-offs, Villa.
Saturn06/05/2019 17:24

That really is just a bit too rich coming from you of all people. Anyway, …That really is just a bit too rich coming from you of all people. Anyway, enough of your faux outrage - best of luck in the play-offs, Villa.

Uranus has a history on here?
I, for one, do not understand the "expert programme"

Does them finding multiple deals for the same category make them experts?
Not in my eyes certainly. For me an expert would be an industry expert in said field. OK they might know more than the average Joe Bloggs about what they are posting, but the general public are very trusting when they see the word expert and may just go along with any advice given.

I do appreciate the efforts of all those in the programme, they give away their time to do this for us all, wether they get an affiliation reward or not, I do not know.
And for me this is my go to website whenever I am looking for something to purchase, or I am just browsing and commenting.

I, for one, do not understand the "expert programme"Does them finding …I, for one, do not understand the "expert programme"Does them finding multiple deals for the same category make them experts? Not in my eyes certainly. For me an expert would be an industry expert in said field. OK they might know more than the average Joe Bloggs about what they are posting, but the general public are very trusting when they see the word expert and may just go along with any advice given.I do appreciate the efforts of all those in the programme, they give away their time to do this for us all, wether they get an affiliation reward or not, I do not know. And for me this is my go to website whenever I am looking for something to purchase, or I am just browsing and commenting.

"Knows a bit more than the average Joe Bloggs programme" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Lol
BernieSlam2 m ago

"Knows a bit more than the average Joe Bloggs programme" doesn't have …"Knows a bit more than the average Joe Bloggs programme" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Lol

I kind of like that

Honestly most of the time they're just spammers.
They post everything and anything, it's just a numbers game.

Be friendly to people here and mediocre deals get hotter because they vote on the person rather than the deal.
teh.arn06/05/2019 18:57

My point exactly. Yet they are described and strongly advertised as experts.
It's all a bit misleading. I have also seen their deals go cold though, so it's not all 'heres a post from an expert and watch it get hot'
Edited by: "SaltyExpert" 6th May
BernieSlam1 h, 57 m ago

Uranus has a history on here?

Yes, They're a troll, Even changed there username to mock another member on here!

It’s for those post hundreds maybe thousands a year not everyone has the time to give to that.

Problem comes when people vote by name only and we saw that before the program started and we all know who they are but you do see experts deals going cold.

The other problem is with advertising deals they don’t admit it though.
eslick06/05/2019 19:40

It’s for those post hundreds maybe thousands a year not everyone has the t …It’s for those post hundreds maybe thousands a year not everyone has the time to give to that. Problem comes when people vote by name only and we saw that before the program started and we all know who they are but you do see experts deals going cold. The other problem is with advertising deals they don’t admit it though.

So why they experts? I could spam the site with bicycle deals at great prices. Doesn't make me an expert as I know naff all about them.
Expert is misleading
Ive stopped posting deals. I just comment or have a nosey on here now.

I used to post alot of poundland deals being a single mum. Then they banned me from posting deals from them. Apparantly “self promotion”

all my deals now go into moderation so i dont post anymore.

ive had mods delete my deal then post it themself.
Edited by: "Caroline_1993" 6th May
SaltyExpert06/05/2019 19:52

So why they experts? I could spam the site with bicycle deals at great …So why they experts? I could spam the site with bicycle deals at great prices. Doesn't make me an expert as I know naff all about them.

It’s probably a bad term to use they were chosen as a trial about how the site could reward users but it seems to have been a long trial.
teh.arn06/05/2019 18:57

Be friendly to people here and mediocre deals get hotter because they vote …Be friendly to people here and mediocre deals get hotter because they vote on the person rather than the deal.

Especially mod posted ones. The heat they get is sometimes way out of proportion to the actual deal - and they seem to have a group of cheerleaders who always comment/vote on all their posts. Look at any Chanchi post and I guarantee you'll see some fawning comment from maccy1 near the top.
eslick39 m ago

It’s probably a bad term to use they were chosen as a trial about how the s …It’s probably a bad term to use they were chosen as a trial about how the site could reward users but it seems to have been a long trial.

100% a bad term*

*unless they are an expert.

It's just all odd and unnecessary in my humble opinion, the website used to function perfectly well without this programme. I still maintain I appreciate the effort and time the top posters put in thoughtcrimes, that is defiantly not a negative.
thinwhiteduke36 m ago

Especially mod posted ones. The heat they get is sometimes way out of …Especially mod posted ones. The heat they get is sometimes way out of proportion to the actual deal - and they seem to have a group of cheerleaders who always comment/vote on all their posts. Look at any Chanchi post and I guarantee you'll see some fawning comment from maccy1 near the top.

Here's the example I usually use. (Loads of other examples)
It's an older one but there's something fishy about it.
If it's not a literal paid advert by Boots, there's definitely some boosting going on.
Whole place has gone downhill. Still get decent gaming deals pop up but not at the rate you did and misc is nothing like it used to be.

Shame. Community replaced by corporate.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions