Expired

HUKD Gaming - The Next Level

Found 17th Mar 2017
Hello, Hot UK Deals!

My name is Carl, and some of you may remember my work for HUKD’s gaming blog Dealspwn. As we all know, it closed its doors at the start of 2016, and while I’ve been wandering the industry wilds since then I’ve recently been invited to return to the network. No, Dealspwn isn’t coming back (which is a good thing because nobody could ever spell / pronounce the bloody name correctly) but together with the ever-dependable BuzzDuraband we have concocted plans to reinvigorate the Gaming section here on HUKD.

“How?” you ask? Well, stay a while and listen.

We already have a strong community that loves gaming on HUKD. Our plan is to bring the best elements from the old website – honest and informative reviews, previews, editorials, and daily news round-ups – over to the forums. We’ll also be launching new ideas that inform and involve you, our audience. We’ve already kicked things off with Buzz’s Release Date Calendar, which provides a helpful look at upcoming games with links to the cheapest prices. Another idea currently being investigated is a HUKD Gaming livestream channel. That’s right – the man who once played Titanfall with a Joystick (the evidence in on YouTube) and made a huge mistake with a helicopter (again, on YouTube, and am constantly reminded of it ) is aiming to host weekly streams in which he will wow you with his maverick ways.

Or fail in an utterly inexplicable manner. Either or.

The hope is we can build up HUKD Gaming with the community to create something special, and with E3 already on the horizon we think it’s the perfect time to get started. With that in mind, we want to hear what you have to say. What do you want to see on HUKD Gaming? Would you prefer us to focus on certain ideas over others? Let us know in this thread, as we begin this exciting new chapter for our glorious gaming community!

- Carl / Malkaurai
Community Updates
Misc
71 Comments
Awesome!!!! Will you collaborate with companies to bring prizes and benefits for the guys putting in work... I.e you and buzz at the moment
Major thumbs up from me
I think it would be a great idea not so much for my family though as i would spend too much time here
deleted265520
Focus on the Nintendo Switch to get the other console fan boys foaming
ItsFrazer

Awesome!!!! Will you collaborate with companies to bring prizes and … Awesome!!!! Will you collaborate with companies to bring prizes and benefits for the guys putting in work... I.e you and buzz at the moment

Much like we did back on the old site we aim to do giveaways, absolutely, but we're hoping to reward the community in other ways as well. We're still organising the logistics, but we want to have the community at the heart of everything we do here!

geebeegooner

Major thumbs up from me

And right back at you, my good man!

Snakeyes646

I think it would be a great idea not so much for my family though as i … I think it would be a great idea not so much for my family though as i would spend too much time here

You knew the risks going in. THERE'S NO GOING BACK NOW.

dtovey89

Focus on the Nintendo Switch to get the other console fan boys foaming

Change the name to HUKD Switch-ing and only write articles about 1-2 Switch. Gotcha.
Edited by: "Malkaurai" 17th Mar 2017
I like the sound of this
I am intrigued, will keep an eye out.
http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/ecM/kBz/ecMkBzLBi.gif

Hey guys

I am seriously, super excited about this. I have said many times, to many people that I strongly believe that HUKD has the best gaming community I have ever experienced. We're fortunate to be around many, many people who just love gaming and talking about it.

The passion for gaming is always quite striking on HUKD (you won't see an arguement done quite as well as you would on a gaming thread), and myself and Carl just want to build on that. We want to allow the community we have in the deals section to have someplace they can voice their opinions with the reviews, previews, editorials, and daily news round-ups we soon hope to be bringing to the boards.

As Carl has already mentioned and as a great example, E3 will soon be upon us and will be an excellent time for us all to use the various ideas we are working on and be able to gel together, allowing us to express our thoughts as a community on the conference as they happen.

We want to build the greatest gaming community for you guys. If anybody has any concerns / things they wish to request to see, please don't hesitate to let us know.
Dealspwn was awesome. Cant wait for the new venture.
Excellent news. I hope to win some more stuff.:3

I'd like to see any articles about upcoming games linking to a gameplay video wherever possible. Too often I see trailers and stuff with some cool FMV (which is fine), but it never really shows me what we can expect, and I usually have to go straight off to search for a gameplay video.

Oh, and we could always do with some more Deckard Cain quotes, I guess.X)
I'm behind the idea, sounds awesome!
Sounds good, would like some honest reviews on games.

Love the idea of the livestream channel!
Best idea for HUKD in a long time
Hi Carl,

Hope you're well.

Your new initiative will annoy some members if the site's "Deals" Forum sees a further domination of computer/video game submissions (with the influx of visitors arriving due to finding content from web searches, & social media channel posts).

For example:
[ hotukdeals.com/fee…305 ]
[ hotukdeals.com/fee…951 ]

If this has not been considered already, perhaps you could chat with the General Manager/Admin staff about creating better search/viewing/alert criteria so that "Gaming" Topics can be excluded for those that are not interested.
Have a section to track big title prices, as often there are multiple deals especially around a launch day.

Often there are posts at "Retail" price for some titles that are hard to come by, often ignored over a regular "deal". Would be a useful place to collect these ones.
Just need to keep the bashing of each gaming format to a minimum and keep it friendly
Love the idea. I pretty much only come here for video game deals but the stunning personalities keep me here

That or I am insane, either way lots of gamers here whose opinion I respect and they game on multi platform and are doing it for fun - both those things are good things if swaying me to buy things haha
Honestly, just use Reddit and the various subreddits available if you want to talk about games and find out info.

No one in misc will be bothered after a few weeks, if you were talking about religion they'd love it however.

Seems a waste of time to be honest. I would rather a for sale section....

but that's none of my business.
This sounds great. Something that interests me is trophy hunting on the ps4 so I would be keen to hear or even get involved in a section related to that.
I think this a fantastic idea! There really is a whole world of opinions here in the HUKD community. If you guys ever need any additional contributors I'd be more than happy to help.
benjammin316

Honestly, just use Reddit and the various subreddits available if you … Honestly, just use Reddit and the various subreddits available if you want to talk about games and find out info.No one in misc will be bothered after a few weeks, if you were talking about religion they'd love it however.Seems a waste of time to be honest. I would rather a for sale section....but that's none of my business.

Thing is, fam. We're trying to build a gaming community here, on HUKD, not Reddit. So that's not really going to work.

I appreciate you're upset about FS/FT, but that has absolutely no relevance here, so it's nothing we can solve.
deleted57959

Isnt there already a gaming community? What exactly are you guys trying … Isnt there already a gaming community? What exactly are you guys trying to do? because we have threads dedicated to XBOX, Playstation, Nintendo etc, and we usually get tens of threads every week which cover everything else too.The threads we have work pretty well already, isn't this a case of fixing something that isn't broke, by shoehorning the terrible Dealspwn into misc?If Dealspwn didnt work, why would it work being shoved into the ver so cynical misc?

It depends how you look at it, haritori. Different people care for different things. Some care about religion, some about politics. Most, if not all in misc care about the BBC and the Daily Mail. Myself and Carl are trying to appeal to gamers. I already know you're a gamer, and you've made it quite evident you have no interest. It's for those that are.
A dedicated gaming community here is only gonna be a positive thing in my eyes, bring the gamers from the Xbox/PS & Nintendo threads into one and share gaming news/thoughts/stories.
deleted57959

Also not very professional throwing comments about Politics, Religion and … Also not very professional throwing comments about Politics, Religion and Daily Mail at me Buzz.. link me one thread where I've started one?What because you are on the staff we are somehow supposed to respect your threads more? I find your comments disrespectful and pretty ignorant.

I'm sorry, haritori. It wasn't about you. I apologise if that wasn't the answer you wanted.

It's been made quite clear the intention is to bring honest and informative reviews, previews, editorials, and daily news round-ups. If you can link me to any of them, I'll back down. If not, please refrain from your usual argumentative self, it's embarrassing.
Edited by: "BuzzDuraband" 17th Mar 2017
Catfight.
Snakeyes646

A dedicated gaming community here is only gonna be a positive thing in my … A dedicated gaming community here is only gonna be a positive thing in my eyes, bring the gamers from the Xbox/PS & Nintendo threads into one and share gaming news/thoughts/stories.

This long-running thread used to be a dumping ground for that kind of discussion:
[ hotukdeals.com/mis…991 ]

(Then most of the regulars left the thread/site due to the attitude of some of the site's representatives. Funny how times [don't] change, isn't it?)
fanpages

This long-running thread used to be a dumping ground for that kind of … This long-running thread used to be a dumping ground for that kind of discussion:[ http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/battlefield-bad-company-2-killzone-624991 ](Then most of the regulars left the thread/site due to the attitude of some of the site's representatives. Funny how times [don't] change, isn't it?)

It's also funny how some don't though, isn't it?
Hello Carl,

I miss Dealspwn

Certainly is a good bunch of gamers on HUKD but as Fanpages has mentioned perhaps a seperate section or category would be a good idea, not that I don't like upsetting non-gamers.
But yeah it sounds great.
Haha its crazy how something positive for HUKD as a whole (a separate section or category) could be seen as a bad or unnecessary thing, doubt its gonna harm anyone.
I don't really understand the hate. Misc is misc and is welcoming to this sort of thing. If it doesn't work out and isn't popular then it will cease to exist.

It's certainly better than a lot of the threads which pop up.
Edited by: "RossD89" 18th Mar 2017
I'm all for some good structured gaming news and info. I think it's a great idea, like anything on the Internet, people that aren't interested can just avoid clicking onto the page!

Can there be some kind of crowd funding game round up too?

I've been waiting for mordhau such a long time I didn't even notice when it arrived on Kickstarter... (20 days remaining for anyone interested)
Edited by: "delusion" 18th Mar 2017
Hi all. I've tidied the thread.

For discussion on the level of gaming threads on HotUKDeals you can use this thread - hotukdeals.com/fee…951

Carl is reaching out to see what the existing community would like to see. Aside from issue above (which is a general site request) i've not removed any suggestions or recommendation but i've tidied because I don't want to see something so focused on the community being dragged down.

I'd ask please that this is the end of that but if you've any concerns please get in touch here - hotukdeals.com/con…act
Before I go into full response mode, I want to say thank you to everyone for all the feedback so far. I'm happy to see there's excitement towards the new venture, and seeing a few familiar faces pop up has been great as well

I think the main concern here is that we'll flood Misc with all the gaming talk instead of religion. While I could attempt to merge the two by asking if you've heard the good word about the Enkindlers, instead I will address FanPages' question (good to see you're still alive and kicking!) Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to filter out gaming content with the current systems in place, but I can tell you that the folks further up the chain of command are aware of the issue. A solution is being looked into but I don't have a timeline on when we'll see it implemented. As soon as I hear anything (and I'll be pestering them often) I'll let you know.

As for haritori's concerns (props for the Totoro avatar, btw) I think it's important to state that we don't want to replace any of the existing threads on the site. The current giveaway thread is a brilliant thing that I hope continues, as are the other discussion platform threads. Our aim is to enhance what's already there and build up the existing community with a bit more structure. For instance, the daily news round-up will be contained to a single thread with the first post constantly updated with the latest happenings. This way it keeps everything tidy, provides those working in the day an easy way to catch up, and allows the discussion to flow underneath.

I guess the main addition this venture will bring is original content right here on the boards. I'm looking to get back on the interview waggon with various developers, and getting hands-on with upcoming games will be important too. We are a consumer network after all, and we want you to be as informed as possible before spending that hard earned cash. Some things might not work, and if that's the case we'll drop it and try something new. Whatever happens, we're going to give this a damn good go and we hope you all give it a fair chance by coming along for the ride.

Please keep the feedback coming, folks!
deleted57959

Well thank you for your civil reply, but I will refrain from continuing … Well thank you for your civil reply, but I will refrain from continuing to post in this thread any further for fear of the retaliation and abuse I received last night, I think its clear that its not community feedback that was being looked for but more ego boosting high fives and thumbs up to the proposals that you have already decided to do.

Actually, community feedback is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm honestly grateful for your initial post, because as someone returning to HUKD it's important for me to gauge the community as a whole. Positivity and excitement is certainly welcome, but this initiative is about the the whole community, not ourselves. As I previously said, certain plans may not work, or the community may not enjoy them, at which point we'll go back to the drawing board and deliver something better. If ideas take off, then we'll run with them as far as we possibly can.

We want to make the HUKD Gaming the best thing possible, and while I understand if you do not wish to continue commenting here (I missed out on the majority of the ruckus, I'm told oO ) I do hope you'll continue to provide critique and suggestions going forward.
Malkaurai

Actually, community feedback is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm … Actually, community feedback is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm honestly grateful for your initial post, because as someone returning to HUKD it's important for me to gauge the community as a whole. Positivity and excitement is certainly welcome, but this initiative is about the the whole community, not ourselves. As I previously said, certain plans may not work, or the community may not enjoy them, at which point we'll go back to the drawing board and deliver something better. If ideas take off, then we'll run with them as far as we possibly can.We want to make the HUKD Gaming the best thing possible, and while I understand if you do not wish to continue commenting here (I missed out on the majority of the ruckus, I'm told oO ) I do hope you'll continue to provide critique and suggestions going forward.

I think haritori made a valid point regarding other misc threads. Buzz's replies may not only have alienated Haritori but others as well. Its important to answer critical observations the correct way rather than rudely dismissing someone because they don't have the same views as you have.
Aside from that I'm looking forward to what you may bring, but if all you want are back slapping comments then I too would say goodbye.
redcantona

I think haritori made a valid point regarding other misc threads. Buzz's … I think haritori made a valid point regarding other misc threads. Buzz's replies may not only have alienated Haritori but others as well. Its important to answer critical observations the correct way rather than rudely dismissing someone because they don't have the same views as you have.Aside from that I'm looking forward to what you may bring, but if all you want are back slapping comments then I too would say goodbye.

Have you even seen what was said before the "clean up"?
Snakeyes646

Have you even seen what was said before the "clean up"?

Yes, read it all, it was me that left the childish 'catfight' comment. Didn't see haritori name calling and I'm not taking any sides. I just thought Buzz could have phrased his replies more tactfully.
Surely before the start of a new venture the last thing you need to do is alienate potential subscribers.
Edited by: "redcantona" 18th Mar 2017
I hope a few precious members don't derail this project, constructive criticism should be defacto in every new project but negativity is all is see lately here on hukd. After FS/FT going i need something to keep me coming here as a member.
All i can see was pointed out is there are gaming threads and a strong gaming community.
This quote below from the descriptions shows they know that already and want to create something from that which will be nothing like several strewn together gaming threads.

"The hope is we can build up HUKD Gaming with the community to create something special"

redcantona

Yes, read it all, it was me that left the childish 'catfight' comment. … Yes, read it all, it was me that left the childish 'catfight' comment. Didn't see haritori name calling and I'm not taking any sides. I just thought Buzz could have phrased his replies more tactfully.Surely before the start of a new venture the last thing you need to do is alienate potential subscribers.

Oh yeah my apology's i remember your comment it got kinda silly last night tbh just hope its all done and dusted now and we can let them crack on with the plans.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions