HUKD help: Hotukdeals Google Search

88 replies
Found 18th Oct 2008
Cant find what you are looking for one this site?...

As it would seem the search on this site never seems to give me the results that i was after i have decided to set up a little custom google search engine...

See post #2 for link.

...fell free to use it should you wish.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
88 Comments

I often resort to this too! "search term" site:]hotukdeals.com typed into google works a treat (without the quotes)

But yours looks handier!!

Advanced search here has never let me down. I always find what I need.

thanks gary

Original Poster

emasu;3233898

Advanced search here has never let me down. I always find what I need.

it doesnt for me... and there are way too many options...

i was looking for Mod Messenger today and if i type that in i would expect it to show it but the hukd search doesnt.

gary_rip;3233847

]HUKD - Custom Google Search

Wicked search much better than the advanced search on here, i actually found a thread i struggled to find using the advanced search in 1 attempt.

Tim

Banned

not bad - your messenger is handy too :thumbsup:

supermod

gary_rip;3234021

it doesnt for me... and there are way too many options...i was looking … it doesnt for me... and there are way too many options...i was looking for Mod Messenger today and if i type that in i would expect it to show it but the hukd search doesnt.

You haven't got Mod messenger in tags or in title on your (very useful) thread, which is why it probably didn't come up in search. I've just ]added it to tags on that thread :thumbsup:

EDIT : okay, take it back. Even with added tags the search for Mod messenger actually produces this thread with the google search tool but not the mod messenger one - very weird. Maybe add Mod Messenger to title of other thread ? You're a glitch gary_rip ;-)

Original Poster

timothyw9;3234060

Wicked search much better than the advanced search on here, i actually … Wicked search much better than the advanced search on here, i actually found a thread i struggled to find using the advanced search in 1 attempt.Tim

Thanks for the feedback!

As was said earlier its not much more than using what harlzter said, but its a little more user friendly and it has a bit of a guide written under it... not forgetting the HUKD colour scheme!

Works fine for me when i put the details in.

mod* messenger

Search entire posts.

6 Months & Older

In Feedback.

Original Poster

salder21;3234072

not bad - your messenger is handy too :thumbsup:

Thanks! - I thought i would stick in a bit of advertising to that! :-D

sigma;3234074

You haven't got Mod messenger in tags or in title on your (very useful) … You haven't got Mod messenger in tags or in title on your (very useful) thread, which is why it probably didn't come up in search. I've just ]added it to tags on that thread :thumbsup:

Even with those added it still doesnt show for me... would prob be better of u edited those tags to make them into one tho... "mod messenger" not "mod, messenger"

Original Poster

emasu;3234089

Works fine for me when i put the details in.mod* messengerSearch entire … Works fine for me when i put the details in.mod* messengerSearch entire posts.6 Months & OlderIn Feedback.

...or just type mod messenger in this seach... as i said this for me (and i would think most others) would be a LOT easier.

EDIT: Im just using this as an example... i have trouble finding a lot of things and so do others with the amout of dupes and people saying they did do a search.

supermod

gary_rip;3234091

... would prob be better of u edited those tags to make them into one … ... would prob be better of u edited those tags to make them into one tho... "mod messenger" not "mod, messenger"

Amendment done, yet still can't find it on search. I'll try the wildcard search as emasu suggested - haven't used that for ages.

EDIT : still can't find it with . But if I search for in quicksearch in feedback it comes straight up in results. My brain must be asleep

If we're using this as an example, it's probably easier to do this :- google.co.uk/sea…ta=

And how would we find your search once it has gone down in the misc? Use HUKD's advanced search :?

Original Poster

emasu... if u dont want to use this then dont. I had set it up for my use only but thought i would share it with others.

I will be using it, and im sure others will, next time someone says they tried to search for something and they couldnt find it i hope one of the people that do use this will be able to post a link to this thread to help them out.

supermod

It's nice to have 2 options to find something, so if one search fails you have a second opportunity to find it. Another member suggested I use google to search HUKD, & your link makes it much easier & tidier. I'll refer / link to it if I see a thread where people are having problems with searching :thumbsup:

gary_rip;3234076

Thanks for the feedback!As was said earlier its not much more than using … Thanks for the feedback!As was said earlier its not much more than using what harlzter said, but its a little more user friendly and it has a bit of a guide written under it... not forgetting the HUKD colour scheme!

It may be based on what I said but a hell of a lot more effective, i've tried it to find a few obscure threads that I know advanced search couldnt find and with the google way took a bit of effort, but your way put at the top of the search:thumbsup:

You sir are a bloody genius!

Alt + F4 usually works for me.

your so good at these things they should put a link to them at the top of the page and employ you!

bellabonkers;3234362

your so good at these things they should put a link to them at the top of … your so good at these things they should put a link to them at the top of the page and employ you!

Hey Bella i'm liking the Devilled Duck:-D:-D

harlzter;3234410

Hey Bella i'm liking the Devilled Duck:-D:-D

Lovely Sadie did it for me

Banned

harlzter;3234410

Hey Bella i'm liking the Devilled Duck

Yummy. Thats made me fell quite peckish! :w00t:

guv;3234468

Yummy. Thats made me fell quite peckish! :w00t:

lol you made me read it like it's food now

Thanks Gary .. big help xx :thumbsup:

Highly effective and extremely easy to use. :thumbsup:

Can filters be applied to this search for future releases or is that asking too much ?

Whatever the case 10/10 for a very useful function.

Bookmarked, repped and thanks. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Nothing is asking too much... am always after new ideas for the things i post on here for existing projects or new projects!

But when you say filters... could you give me an example?

Banned

gary_rip;3234091

Thanks! - I thought i would stick in a bit of advertising to that! :-D

theres a new mod that isnt on it just yet though :thumbsup:

Original Poster

salder21;3236065

theres a new mod that isnt on it just yet though :thumbsup:

who?

Banned

gary_rip;3236129

who?

2secs let me find the name again.....

Filter by forum ( deals/vouchers/fs.ft/ etc)
Filter by date posted ascending/descending

Two examples

Original Poster

salder21;3236146

Bingsy:http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/member.php?u=7928

They are on it now, you may need to update your bookmark.

Original Poster

hottoshop;3236167

Filter by forum ( deals/vouchers/fs.ft/ etc)Filter by date posted … Filter by forum ( deals/vouchers/fs.ft/ etc)Filter by date posted ascending/descendingTwo examples

Umm... as far as i know that is not possible using the google search engine... but il take a look to make sure.

Original Poster

Nope this is not possible currently using the google engine.

Banned

gary_rip;3236183

They are on it now, you may need to update your bookmark.

how do i do that :oops: lol

salder21;3260682

I'm a tecnophobe, but I would go to the new mod messenger and bookmark it, and delete the old one.

Banned

thesaint;3260809

I'm a tecnophobe, but I would go to the new mod messenger and bookmark … I'm a tecnophobe, but I would go to the new mod messenger and bookmark it, and delete the old one.

aah found the new one now :thumbsup:

supermod

salder21;3260682

The new mod id has been added so it's changed the URL slightly - just bookmark this version instead > ]http//hu…706 :thumbsup:

(if you were joking ignore me :oops:)

EDIT : sorry I was still typing when you posted ;-)

"if " admin was to give some details to the site, i could do a search engine to search individual boards

probably wouldnt let me tho but all i would need is the database names for each board and then use a php function to search the relevant db's and tables :-D

just an idea if admin decides to get a better search :giggle:

Banned

sigma;3260834

The new mod id has been added so it's changed the URL slightly - just … The new mod id has been added so it's changed the URL slightly - just bookmark this version instead > ]http://hukd.garyrip.com/pm/mod_live.php?admin=1&mod=18839,7928,4280,4577,5628,28153,5311,3977,3045&smod=20706 :thumbsup:(if you were joking ignore me :oops:)EDIT : sorry I was still typing when you posted ;-)

cheers :thumbsup:

no i wasnt, i kept managing to find the old one lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland1742
    2. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…2552
    3. So Flubit is still terrible. What happened?!1112
    4. Any PS4 News Here29313889

See more discussions