HUKD INVETIGATES: Does this eBay listing for hair clippers look suspicious to you?

Posted 12th AprEdited by:"jiveturkey1234"
like many right now, i'm looking for some hair clippers, hopefully with the result of making me look like a human being instead of some sort of feral beast. as expected, most eBay sellers have jacked up the prices, with many sets priced at £70-80, around 2x RRP.

imagine my delight when i found this new listing yesterday - good price, reputable seller.. I promptly ordered. i thought i'd probably gotten one of the last ones, given the low price and the name brand.

fast forward to this morning and i wake up to find this guy has sold 765 of these since last night. i started to get a little suspicious. the cogs started turning. was this too good to be true?

where did this low-level eBay seller, with less than 200 feedback, get 700+ hair clippers from all of a sudden, an item currently in huge demand and little supply? why is he selling at such a low price, not just far below what he could fetch, but also even below RRP?

things will get interesting as the bank holiday ends and these will supposedly be put in the post. but i am pretty sure i will not be receiving these. either way this guy has had £14,500 into his PayPal and counting in <24 hours.

the funny thing is, this guy is clearly a legit seller since last year, with good feedback for all sorts of items. but it all still seems a bit fishy to me..

perhaps more blatantly, he's also selling one of these Xiaomi Mi Box S for £18.59 every 5 minutes, with his rivals all priced at £59.99..

not worried about my £ as i'm sure i'll get it back if it doesn't arrive.. just found it quite interesting..

thoughts?

sincerely
SHERLOCK STAY-AT-HOLMES
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Invetigation in process!
47 Comments
Invetigation in process!
Reputable seller might have been hacked
deleted2412750
Sells a load of tat usually. Either gone rogue and decided to scam the world but far more likely it's a hijacked account. You'll get a refund but you won't get the clippers so the hunt goes on.
deleted241275012/04/2020 20:23

Sells a load of tat usually. Either gone rogue and decided to scam the …Sells a load of tat usually. Either gone rogue and decided to scam the world but far more likely it's a hijacked account. You'll get a refund but you won't get the clippers so the hunt goes on.

i should have known it was too good to be true......

my heart aches... a setback of almost 24 hours against the other overgrown men of the nation, all racing for the same prize.. this is my darkest hour, but we've all seen this movie, after depression comes the flash of inspiration, the wise words from a trusted mentor, the training montage, the final challenge..

short sides will be mine, a tapered back will be mine, victory will be mine, AT ANY PRICE....

.....BELOW £30
Ioa12/04/2020 20:07

Invetigation in process!

...whilst mosts peeps stay at home vegetating.
SHERLOCK STAY-AT-HOLMES

Love it
jiveturkey123412/04/2020 20:32

i should have known it was too good to be true...... my heart aches... a …i should have known it was too good to be true...... my heart aches... a setback of almost 24 hours against the other overgrown men of the nation, all racing for the same prize.. this is my darkest hour, but we've all seen this movie, after depression comes the flash of inspiration, the wise words from a trusted mentor, the training montage, the final challenge..short sides will be mine, a tapered back will be mine, victory will be mine, AT ANY PRICE.........BELOW £30

I'd guess your purchase is a clone of the somewhat more credible £84 listing at ebay.co.uk/itm…383
Coupled with "WATSON-the-other-side-of-the-window" no doubt
You’ll have to keep us updated with your investigation
In the meantime you could put your hair in plaits. You never know you may start a new trend and look rather fetching.
I got my wahl trimmers from tk max for about 18 quid, there is nothing in them , just a bit of wire and some sharp sersted edges, less than 20 quid seems about right
can you add sideload apps to the xiaomi box? kodi for example
Mendoza12/04/2020 21:03

can you add sideload apps to the xiaomi box? kodi for example

Planet earth calling!
Been hacked that's all
Think I've probably had the same experience..seller wascho9..just reported non delivery to ebay as looks very suspicious, anyone else bought from the seller ?
Seller EMM4888 Is fake on EBay in my opinion. Bought WAHL hair clippers at £15.99, the then changed delivery date by adding an extra week and should have already arrived. Numerous messages on eBay to seller and nothing. Apparently they sold 780 of these not a bad days work! Paid via PayPal, name of recipient shows as LIANGLIANG JING
Another potential one is MATTHU11_6 , they are the seller seller the WAHL super taper clippers....be safe all
charles.baldwin17/05/2020 02:14

Another potential one is MATTHU11_6 , they are the seller seller the WAHL …Another potential one is MATTHU11_6 , they are the seller seller the WAHL super taper clippers....be safe all

is seller MATTHU11_6 legit as i was going to purchase an item from him
charles.baldwin17/05/2020 02:14

Another potential one is MATTHU11_6 , they are the seller seller the WAHL …Another potential one is MATTHU11_6 , they are the seller seller the WAHL super taper clippers....be safe all

I wouldn’t chance it. I’ve been trying to contact eBay but it is impossible to get through to anyone
Prices are too good to be true
Buyer45666017/05/2020 17:58

No

It is a fraud account. It is not a case of chancing it. You buy buying it are promoting in it. People have posted his deals as CURRYS/Ebay a few times now & many buy without checking the sellers actual ID which takes one second.
Many people cannot wait 2 months to get their money back, as you will be doing.

A private seller selling XBox One Wireless controllers for £15.99? Get real. AND if so how can they sell 2000 of them within 24 hrs?

They have more stock than Currys themselves!
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 17th May
I’ve raised this with eBay for both of these sellers. They are going to perform a detailed investigation
Edited by: "charles.baldwin" 17th May
Wow, just received a refund from eBay, that took 10mns!!!
Buyer45666017/05/2020 17:58

after you’ve purchased from them, you’ll get an email confirmation of dispatch from the seller 3-4 days later advising an estimated delivery date of 2-3 weeks. Because they’ve sent a dIspatch email you cannot cancel the purchase or ask for a refund. eBay policy dictates that you have to wait for the estimated delivery date to pass before you can raise a ‘I haven’t received my goods’ claim.
In those 2-3 weeks the seller is paid by PayPal, withdraws the money and then disappears.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 18th May
have ebay taken any action towards him as his items keep selling out and he immediately puts them back up
WilsonJilson17/05/2020 23:05

have ebay taken any action towards him as his items keep selling out and …have ebay taken any action towards him as his items keep selling out and he immediately puts them back up

No, I think because he gets friends and family to leave positive feedback on the items, it helps in making the listings look genuine. The trouble is, if you raise a refund claim etc, you can’t leave negative feedback for others to see (I believe).
Ebay should really have something in place to flag up member’s accounts that have hundreds of transactions going through them every day. Until then, all we can do is keep reporting them in the hope they’ll get shut down and all buyers should think twice if a price is too good to be true.
And now there’s yet another Fraudster
huanglihua97
charles.baldwin17/05/2020 19:58

Wow, just received a refund from eBay, that took 10mns!!!

Need to get a refund myself as bought from MATTHU11_6. Did you go through live chat to get such a quick refund?
np8518/05/2020 12:40

Need to get a refund myself as bought from MATTHU11_6. Did you go through …Need to get a refund myself as bought from MATTHU11_6. Did you go through live chat to get such a quick refund?

What did you buy? As 4 of the listings have been taken down overnight.
Toptrumpet18/05/2020 12:52

What did you buy? As 4 of the listings have been taken down overnight.

40789645-RrhOb.jpg

This one. Four days ago.

Feel like such an idiot (not much of an eBayer) but have learned my lesson!
np8518/05/2020 12:40

Need to get a refund myself as bought from MATTHU11_6. Did you go through …Need to get a refund myself as bought from MATTHU11_6. Did you go through live chat to get such a quick refund?

Go through live chat or call back

They will more than likely refund you on the spot
Online chat, you need to do this via web browser, contact us.....
np8518/05/2020 13:00

[Image] This one. Four days ago.Feel like such an idiot (not much of an …[Image] This one. Four days ago.Feel like such an idiot (not much of an eBayer) but have learned my lesson!

Don’t feel like an idiot. We’ve all been there, seen that and done it - Me included, and that’s why I keep reporting the scumbag. The listing is still live, alternatively Sign into ebay, click on Help & Contact at the very top of the header bar and type in report a seller and then choose

40789688-eqiNW.jpg
Thank you everyone for your help.

Contacted eBay but no refund straight away. Just flannelled me with "we're investigating".

Looks like I will have to wait till after the delivery date and get the money back then, given the goods won't have arrived!
Edited by: "np85" 18th May
np8518/05/2020 14:16

Thank you everyone for your help.Contacted eBay but no refund straight …Thank you everyone for your help.Contacted eBay but no refund straight away. Just flannelled me with "we're investigating".Looks like I will have to wait till after the delivery date and get the money back then, given the goods won't have arrived!

Did you tell them about their history etc and any of our ‘findings/beliefs’ or just ask for a refund? - if you don’t mind me asking....did they confirm they’ve had fraudulent listing reports on the items already?
Toptrumpet18/05/2020 14:23

Did you tell them about their history etc and any of our …Did you tell them about their history etc and any of our ‘findings/beliefs’ or just ask for a refund? - if you don’t mind me asking....did they confirm they’ve had fraudulent listing reports on the items already?

Yes, explained all about the history/findings but it was like talking to a wall. They just said they would investigate, even when I pointed out that surely they had done already!

They didn't confirm anything about fraudulent listing reports.
np8518/05/2020 14:16

Thank you everyone for your help.Contacted eBay but no refund straight …Thank you everyone for your help.Contacted eBay but no refund straight away. Just flannelled me with "we're investigating".Looks like I will have to wait till after the delivery date and get the money back then, given the goods won't have arrived!

did you text chat, or use your voice?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions