Hukd Social Responsibility

Posted 19th Mar
Here's a thought, perhaps HUKD needs to show a little more social responsibility what with the current extraordinary situation we're in.

We shouldn't be ordering non-essential physical goods with the current situation.

We shouldn't be visiting pubs, restaurants, and cafés.

Perhaps deals like these should be suspended?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
dead4red6919/03/2020 19:42

But should we be promoting and encouraging such reckless behaviour?

Reckless behaviour?.
Look back in history its be proven that trying to carry on as normal as possible has more health benifits then hiding away.

Plus I have a family to support financially.
Why shouldn’t we be ordering non essential physical goods? The market will still continue for those that can afford it and we should want them to to keep people in work
dead4red6919/03/2020 19:57

Yes, the Internet is a crucial, essential resource. Buying some lego at a …Yes, the Internet is a crucial, essential resource. Buying some lego at a 5% discount isn't.

People might be looking for Lego to entertain their kids now they are off school
Absolutly not, I for one want to carry on and go to work.

I have ordered a few things on from here in the last few days.
52 Comments
Why shouldn’t we be ordering non essential physical goods? The market will still continue for those that can afford it and we should want them to to keep people in work
Absolutly not, I for one want to carry on and go to work.

I have ordered a few things on from here in the last few days.
paloni_boowers19/03/2020 19:39

Why shouldn’t we be ordering non essential physical goods? The market will …Why shouldn’t we be ordering non essential physical goods? The market will still continue for those that can afford it and we should want them to to keep people in work

Because we should be limiting non essential contact and ensuring that we can move essential goods around the country.
markvirgo19/03/2020 19:41

Absolutly not, I for one want to carry on and go to work.I have ordered a …Absolutly not, I for one want to carry on and go to work.I have ordered a few things on from here in the last few days.

Going to work for most people is still essential unless their management has decided to shut. They won’t have jobs if people don’t carry on shopping as normal online.
Well if hotukdeals stops being about hotukdeals then I’ll stop using it.
dead4red6919/03/2020 19:42

Reckless behaviour?.
Look back in history its be proven that trying to carry on as normal as possible has more health benifits then hiding away.

Plus I have a family to support financially.
paloni_boowers19/03/2020 19:44

Going to work for most people is still essential unless their management …Going to work for most people is still essential unless their management has decided to shut. They won’t have jobs if people don’t carry on shopping as normal online.

Employers have a duty to help support their employees, gov should be supporting businesses.

Whats more important, people's health and safety or buying some non essential item you can live without?
markvirgo19/03/2020 19:48

Reckless behaviour?. Look back in history its be proven that trying to …Reckless behaviour?. Look back in history its be proven that trying to carry on as normal as possible has more health benifits then hiding away.Plus I have a family to support financially.

Are you sure you're aware of what's going on?

Carrying on as normal would cripple the NHS and cost hundreds of thousands of lives. There are absolutely no health benefits to carrying on as normal!
Hi @dead4red69 We are monitoring all activity on site and making decisions which we believe are the right ones to take.

You are right that these are extraordinary circumstances. We are having to make decisions we've never had to make before and we're reacting to things changing all the time.

You can already see from this thread that some members disagree with restricting certain things. Retailers are changing their processes to allow things like contactless delivery etc.

We've tried to stay on top of breaking news to stop things like click & collect (or updating if a store is closing), travel deals for the immediate future or stopping inflated prices (our rules forbid this anyway).

If you think we can do more and you can provide more specific examples then please let us know.
dead4red6919/03/2020 19:50

Are you sure you're aware of what's going on?Carrying on as normal would …Are you sure you're aware of what's going on?Carrying on as normal would cripple the NHS and cost hundreds of thousands of lives. There are absolutely no health benefits to carrying on as normal!

You do understand that you are using the internet to post this and some people have to work to keep it running.
You are not any different are you?
Jason19/03/2020 19:51

Hi @dead4red69 We are monitoring all activity on site and making decisions …Hi @dead4red69 We are monitoring all activity on site and making decisions which we believe are the right ones to take. You are right that these are extraordinary circumstances. We are having to make decisions we've never had to make before and we're reacting to things changing all the time. You can already see from this thread that some members disagree with restricting certain things. Retailers are changing their processes to allow things like contactless delivery etc. We've tried to stay on top of breaking news to stop things like click & collect (or updating if a store is closing), travel deals for the immediate future or stopping inflated prices (our rules forbid this anyway). If you think we can do more and you can provide more specific examples then please let us know.

I'd suggest the best place to start is suspending deals from pubs, cafes, and restaurants.
markvirgo19/03/2020 19:53

You do understand that you are using the internet to post this and some …You do understand that you are using the internet to post this and some people have to work to keep it running.You are not any different are you?

Yes, the Internet is a crucial, essential resource.

Buying some lego at a 5% discount isn't.

Yes, the Internet is a crucial, essential resource. Buying some lego at a …Yes, the Internet is a crucial, essential resource. Buying some lego at a 5% discount isn't.

People might be looking for Lego to entertain their kids now they are off school
No. I've got stuff to sell on the bay.
dead4red6919/03/2020 19:41

Because we should be limiting non essential contact and ensuring that we …Because we should be limiting non essential contact and ensuring that we can move essential goods around the country.

You realise this is going to be with us for years, not months?
@dead4red69

I understand what you are saying.

However

Everyones situation is different people needs are different.

People will still require items been posted as deals and helping members save money could well be beneficial in my opinion.
dead4red6919/03/2020 19:56

I'd suggest the best place to start is suspending deals from pubs, cafes, …I'd suggest the best place to start is suspending deals from pubs, cafes, and restaurants.

The government has powers to stop people doing it (by ordering their closure) but they've not exercised it. There is no easy answer here.

As I said above, we're trying to do everything we can.

Why is it?. We have the radio and TV to report the news and keep us entertained.
What about people who would like to buy a new phone, tv, radio or pc to replace a broken one to use the internet?.

Would you prefer there to be a list of deal items only?

Something like
Toilet rolls
Toothpaste
Vegan food
Internet deals
Milk
Bread
This attitude shows what hukd and so called up standing members are like - help neighbours, family,colleagues etc
Help others to live
@dead4red69

Here are a few recent discussions

Free delivery service for vulnerable

hotukdeals.com/dis…794

Vacancies with immediate start

hotukdeals.com/dis…763

access to ebook and audio books

hotukdeals.com/dis…702

eariler today

Free offers to help keep yours family entertained
hotukdeals.com/dis…533

The site and its members are trying to be responsible

Seen so many kind offers to help others in the discussions section recently over the last few day and helpful advice been given
dufflecoat_moon_turkey19/03/2020 20:01

Comment deleted

I have been, and I ordered something I saw on here a couple of days ago.
Then I thought to myself earlier that that was irresponsible given the situation and perhaps I shouldn't have
chocci19/03/2020 20:02

18 months perhaps, in total. The social distancing measures won't last that long though (hopefully!)
myusernamehasgone23419/03/2020 20:07

@dead4red69 I understand what you are saying. However Everyones situation …@dead4red69 I understand what you are saying. However Everyones situation is different people needs are different. People will still require items been posted as deals and helping members save money could well be beneficial in my opinion.

It's a fair point about postage.

There's no excuse for the pub/cafe/restaurant deals however
Jason19/03/2020 20:08

The government has powers to stop people doing it (by ordering their …The government has powers to stop people doing it (by ordering their closure) but they've not exercised it. There is no easy answer here. As I said above, we're trying to do everything we can.

Don't you think that you have a moral and ethical obligation to support the health and safety of everyone?

By promoting activities that we have all been explicitly asked to stop, you're putting people's lives in danger.
myusernamehasgone23419/03/2020 20:35

@dead4red69 Here are a few recent discussions Free delivery service for …@dead4red69 Here are a few recent discussions Free delivery service for vulnerable https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/budget-taxis-launch-free-delivery-service-to-help-vulnerable-during-coronavirus-crisis-3424794Vacancies with immediate starthttps://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/vacancies-with-immediate-start-at-iceland-3424763access to ebook and audio bookshttps://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/world-book-online-free-access-to-over-300-ebook-and-audiobooks-3424702eariler today Free offers to help keep yours family entertained https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/free-offers-to-keep-you-and-the-family-entertained-at-home-3424533The site and its members are trying to be responsible Seen so many kind offers to help others in the discussions section recently over the last few day and helpful advice been given

Yep, hukd is a fantastic place, it's why I'm an active member here. However I think this is a worthwhile discussion.

I stand by my position on deals relating to pubs/cafes/restaurants however, that is dangerous.
Jason19/03/2020 19:51

Retailers are changing their processes to allow things like contactless …Retailers are changing their processes to allow things like contactless delivery etc.

I hope they don't throw my delivery of tins of baked beans at me
chocci19/03/2020 20:02

Nope, I don't even think the PM knows that...12 weeks and we'll all be as right as rain again chocci
maccy1i19/03/2020 20:55

I hope they don't throw my delivery of tins of baked beans at me

I think you’ll just find them on the doorstop.
maccy1i19/03/2020 20:57

Thanks, I was getting awfully worried

Could be awkward juggling tins of beans been thrown at you.

I bet some people would happily take beans been launched at them as opposed to them not been able to get a delivery slot at all
myusernamehasgone23419/03/2020 21:01

Could be awkward juggling tins of beans been thrown at you.I bet some …Could be awkward juggling tins of beans been thrown at you.I bet some people would happily take beans been launched at them as opposed to them not been able to get a delivery slot at all

I'm going to take up juggling, we can keep the deliveries fun that way
dead4red6919/03/2020 20:43

Yep, hukd is a fantastic place, it's why I'm an active member here. …Yep, hukd is a fantastic place, it's why I'm an active member here. However I think this is a worthwhile discussion. I stand by my position on deals relating to pubs/cafes/restaurants however, that is dangerous.

Yep always good to open up discussions and I do think HUKD’s does listen to feedback.

I just thought in general the site and its members were really trying to be be responsible and help one another.
myusernamehasgone23419/03/2020 21:01

Could be awkward juggling tins of beans been thrown at you.I bet some …Could be awkward juggling tins of beans been thrown at you.I bet some people would happily take beans been launched at them as opposed to them not been able to get a delivery slot at all

Let me know when it starts. I could do a job like that. I'd start by looking for orders of UHT milk and biscuits.
dead4red6919/03/2020 20:41

Don't you think that you have a moral and ethical obligation to support …Don't you think that you have a moral and ethical obligation to support the health and safety of everyone?By promoting activities that we have all been explicitly asked to stop, you're putting people's lives in danger.

We haven't been told to explicitly stop, we have been advised not to.

But the worst thing about this Coronavirus outbreak is it brings out your bossy little busybodies nagging at people telling them they are reckless and putting people's lives at risk just for going to work or buying things online.
Positive distraction from what’s going on in the world comes to mind.
xenophon19/03/2020 21:27

We haven't been told to explicitly stop, we have been advised not to.But …We haven't been told to explicitly stop, we have been advised not to.But the worst thing about this Coronavirus outbreak is it brings out your bossy little busybodies nagging at people telling them they are reckless and putting people's lives at risk just for going to work or buying things online.

We haven't been advised not to, the advice from public health England is explicit

"Avoid large gatherings, and gatherings in smaller public spaces such as pubs, cinemas, restaurants, theatres, bars, clubs".

Yep, the worst thing about a global pandemic, the worst pandemic in 100 years, is people wanting society to act responsibly.

Not the idiots endangering their lives, the lives of their friends, families, neighbours by wilfully ignoring expert advice.
maccy1i19/03/2020 20:56

Nope, I don't even think the PM knows that...12 weeks and we'll all be as …Nope, I don't even think the PM knows that...12 weeks and we'll all be as right as rain again chocci

No ditch this time
dead4red6919/03/2020 22:07

We haven't been advised not to, the advice from public health England is …We haven't been advised not to, the advice from public health England is explicit"Avoid large gatherings, and gatherings in smaller public spaces such as pubs, cinemas, restaurants, theatres, bars, clubs". Yep, the worst thing about a global pandemic, the worst pandemic in 100 years, is people wanting society to act responsibly.Not the idiots endangering their lives, the lives of their friends, families, neighbours by wilfully ignoring expert advice.

You have contradicted yourself, you have just said "advice" from public health England, and that is what it is, strong advice, but it isn't the law so you aren't in any position to come on here laying it down, calling people reckless and now idiots. If someone wishes to wilfully ignore advice that is up to them and their conscience, but dictate to your friends, family, neighbours what you think they must "responsibly" do, shame and abuse them into not working, buying online, going to the pub, whatever, but to come on to a forum and do it really takes some arrogance.
xenophon19/03/2020 23:35

You have contradicted yourself, you have just said "advice" from public …You have contradicted yourself, you have just said "advice" from public health England, and that is what it is, strong advice, but it isn't the law so you aren't in any position to come on here laying it down, calling people reckless and now idiots. If someone wishes to wilfully ignore advice that is up to them and their conscience, but dictate to your friends, family, neighbours what you think they must "responsibly" do, shame and abuse them into not working, buying online, going to the pub, whatever, but to come on to a forum and do it really takes some arrogance.

The language from public health England is clear "avoid pubs, cinemas, restaurants, theatres, bars, clubs".

If you want to flaunt that, then you're putting people in danger, not just those in your family/social group but strangers too.

Have you seen the latest news in Italy? They have limited numbers of icu beds (but still more than us) however they've now run out. They've had to make the decision that anyone over 60 will not have an icu bed, even if they need one. Effectively they're leaving sick people 60+ to die.

Promoting dangerous behaviour that will prolong the pandemic is morally and ethnically reprehensible.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants