Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

HUKD Transparency

Posted 11th Nov
So I put a post up in Misc saying that the site was being flooded by obviously paid for posts by the likes of Screwfix, Robert Dyas and the now banned Eurocarparts.
It was taken down by admin because I hadn't responded to replies within 90 minutes.
I have work to do, so can't reply immediately..
The new one one is AliExpress, who are getting a ridiculous amount of posts.
Does anyone think that HUKD should put a 'promoted' sticker type thing on EVERY deal that they are getting direct promotional income from?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
adam_holcombe11/11/2019 17:24

I'm a net-give to this site; a ban hurts them more than me. Unlike the …I'm a net-give to this site; a ban hurts them more than me. Unlike the mods/admins/experts/editors/whatver-you-want-to-call-them,, we don't get paid. We do this because we value the community. Once all the givers are gone, this will be just promoted deals site - basically just a rehash of Groupon.Anyways, there's always avforums and stack.

this is a problem I have tried to explain to Jay before but he never understands my point.

I used to spend a fortune on here... the mix of deals was amazing and people posted wild Goose chases and many of them actual bore fruit and gaming deals were added by 100s and now it’s a handful and I can find these deals by checking 6 major sites as 90% of gaming deals are from these.

add in the RIDICULOUS moderation of comments.... and the community here has been killed and the quality of deals have sufferedthe same.

it’s now just a group of companies adverts in one place with the odd good deal.

this “curation” nonsense is the number 1 issue. Deals are subjective. They shouldn’t be for everyone... it feels like in chasing “good deals” clear and defined they’ve lost those magic deals.

either way the changes in last 18 months have failed and I feel like this whole site is a now a advert that’s flaunting the law.

Fix it and go back to community led deals stop dictating what’s a good deal as the community did a better job.
Edited by: "joanddan7" 11th Nov
@magicjay1986

Was the OP's thread really removed on the basis that he 'hadn't responded to replies within 90 minutes'?
magicjay198611/11/2019 14:05

This site is funded by by the use of affiliate links. That is no secret. …This site is funded by by the use of affiliate links. That is no secret. It is on our FAQs page and also our About page. We are working on improving transparency and in particular how this site is funded will become more prominent. So something is being done in this area and it shouldn't be too much longer before we introduce it.

there is a remarked difference between affiliate links and sponsored posts by staff members which i'm sure the ASA will be happy to explain
And now I've just received an anonymous mod mail stating I'm "attempting to derail threads".

At least @magicjay1986 has the decency to engage with us and discuss our issues.

This place is getting too much, honestly.
90 Comments
Crackin' cashback on Aliexpress at the moment via Quidco hotukdeals.com/dis…925
This site is funded by by the use of affiliate links. That is no secret. It is on our FAQs page and also our About page.

We are working on improving transparency and in particular how this site is funded will become more prominent. So something is being done in this area and it shouldn't be too much longer before we introduce it.

This site is funded by by the use of affiliate links. That is no secret. …This site is funded by by the use of affiliate links. That is no secret. It is on our FAQs page and also our About page. We are working on improving transparency and in particular how this site is funded will become more prominent. So something is being done in this area and it shouldn't be too much longer before we introduce it.

I sent you a pm yesterday please reply when you can.

there is a remarked difference between affiliate links and sponsored posts by staff members which i'm sure the ASA will be happy to explain
adamspencer9511/11/2019 14:08

there is a remarked difference between affiliate links and sponsored posts …there is a remarked difference between affiliate links and sponsored posts by staff members which i'm sure the ASA will be happy to explain

Site has been through the ASA before and they were happy with the explanation but the site is making changes according to Jay.

op won’t be happy the new pepper bonus site just went live with an ultra quick hot deal
eslick11/11/2019 14:12

Site has been through the ASA before and they were happy with the …Site has been through the ASA before and they were happy with the explanation but the site is making changes according to Jay. op won’t be happy the new pepper bonus site just went live with an ultra quick hot deal

it did go hot insanely quick and is currently now up and down.
This site is free to use. Does it really matter if certain posts are being promoted? It doesn’t bother me
@chimp14uk

"...It was taken down by admin because I hadn't responded to replies within 90 minutes...."

I don't remember seeing that clause within the "Rules & Regulations" (Code of Conduct) &/or "Publication Rules"!
Ioa11/11/2019 14:28

This site is free to use. Does it really matter if certain posts are being …This site is free to use. Does it really matter if certain posts are being promoted? It doesn’t bother me

Yes it does because there are strict rules around advertising and other sites have to comply so why shouldn’t HUKD’s
ADMIN.....
I have posted again within 90 minutes, so please don't take this down.
BTW, can we have another 100 Ankar posts please?
I bet you that they're paying you too.
Edited by: "chimp14uk" 11th Nov
chimp14uk11/11/2019 14:30

ADMIN.....I have posted again within 90 minutes, so please don't take this …ADMIN.....I have posted again within 90 minutes, so please don't take this post down.BTW, can we have another 100 Ankar posts please? I bet you that they're paying you too.

Deals that other members are also posting, right? I fail to see why on Singles Day there is such a surprise from you that deals are being shared for participating merchants?
magicjay198611/11/2019 14:32

Deals that other members are also posting, right? I fail to see why on …Deals that other members are also posting, right? I fail to see why on Singles Day there is such a surprise from you that deals are being shared for participating merchants?

Wtf has it got to Singles Day?
IT'S EVERY DAY.
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
chimp14uk11/11/2019 14:34

Wtf has it got to Singles Day?IT'S EVERY DAY.

You've seen an increase in posts today for specific merchants. Merchants that are participating in Singles Day.

It is the Editors job to post deals which they think the community will want to see. They're simply doing their job.

We've already said we're working on transparency objectives to cover some of the things members have raised about how the site is funded. I just fail to understand where there is such an issue with deal sharing on a deal community.
fanpages11/11/2019 14:29

...I don't remember seeing that clause within the "Rules & Regulations" …...I don't remember seeing that clause within the "Rules & Regulations" (Code of Conduct) &/or "Publication Rules"!

Of course it's included. You missed the obvious cover-all statement as lifted from the bottom of the appropriately-titled R&R CoC:
"...Admin will have the final say in any disputed decision and on all aspects of the forum..."
magicjay198611/11/2019 14:37

..I just fail to understand where there is such an issue with deal sharing …..I just fail to understand where there is such an issue with deal sharing on a deal community.

From the not-too-distant past...

38958201-ikfZD.jpg
chimp14uk11/11/2019 14:30

ADMIN.....I have posted again within 90 minutes, so please don't take this …ADMIN.....I have posted again within 90 minutes, so please don't take this down.BTW, can we have another 100 Ankar posts please? I bet you that they're paying you too.

Somebody needs to post a deal for an 89-minute bump-posting tool.
The highlights section is looking mighty purdy at the minute.

When will you be replying to the ASA?

The one about hiding paid for promotions as deals.
Edited by: "adam_holcombe" 11th Nov
adam_holcombe11/11/2019 15:05

When will you be replying to ASA complaint ref: A19-1021850?The one about …When will you be replying to ASA complaint ref: A19-1021850?The one about hiding paid for promotions as deals.

You don't need to be concerned about our deadlines. If you want an update, get in touch with the ASA.
Ioa11/11/2019 14:28

This site is free to use. Does it really matter if certain posts are being …This site is free to use. Does it really matter if certain posts are being promoted? It doesn’t bother me

Yes, because it's against the law not to show it.
magicjay198611/11/2019 15:06

You don't need to be concerned about our deadlines. If you want an update, …You don't need to be concerned about our deadlines. If you want an update, get in touch with the ASA.

Good to see you treat your customers with such respect.

Can't say I'm surprised to be honest.
magicjay198611/11/2019 14:37

You've seen an increase in posts today for specific merchants. Merchants …You've seen an increase in posts today for specific merchants. Merchants that are participating in Singles Day. It is the Editors job to post deals which they think the community will want to see. They're simply doing their job.We've already said we're working on transparency objectives to cover some of the things members have raised about how the site is funded. I just fail to understand where there is such an issue with deal sharing on a deal community.

It's because you're being paid to share the deals.

You have the ability to (and do) remove other deals that don't earn as much/anything for your bosses.

This used to be a community, now it's just your (bosses') cash cow.
adam_holcombe11/11/2019 15:11

You have the ability to (and do) remove other deals that don't earn as …You have the ability to (and do) remove other deals that don't earn as much/anything for your bosses

Where is your proof that this happens?

Good to hear, but the tone of comment suggests that there may be a priority here!

I don't really care I've been coming here 7 or more years so it works for me
Zoea11/11/2019 15:16

Good to hear, but the tone of comment suggests that there may be a …Good to hear, but the tone of comment suggests that there may be a priority here!I don't really care I've been coming here 7 or more years so it works for me

It absolutely is a priority. It wasn't an overnight fix but it is almost ready
Edited by: "magicjay1986" 11th Nov
magicjay198611/11/2019 15:17

It absolutely is a priority. It wasn't an overnight fix but it is almost …It absolutely is a priority. It wasn't an overnight fix but it is almost ready

It should be an overnight thing to stop posting adverts that break the law though.
magicjay198611/11/2019 15:13

Where is your proof that this happens?

This thread is about transparency.

I'd suggest the onus is on you to prove to us (and the ASA) that this isn't the case.
adam_holcombe11/11/2019 15:19

This thread is about transparency. I'd suggest the onus is on you to prove …This thread is about transparency. I'd suggest the onus is on you to prove to us (and the ASA) that this isn't the case.

Ok. So you don't have any proof to back up your claim that threads get removed which don't make the site any money.

The only staff removing threads on site will be the site moderators. Moderators do not know who pays affiliate fees on hotukdeals. So their decision to remove a thread is never made because of money.
magicjay198611/11/2019 15:24

Ok. So you don't have any proof to back up your claim that threads get …Ok. So you don't have any proof to back up your claim that threads get removed which don't make the site any money. The only staff removing threads on site will be the site moderators. Moderators do not know who pays affiliate fees on hotukdeals. So their decision to remove a thread is never made because of money.

Again. This thread is about proving you're being as transparent as you say you are.

Which we know isn't true considering how you guys hide paid promotions as deals,(contrary to section 2 of the ASA's CAP code).

And yes they do know which links earn money I bet I can guess 5 retailers who pay hukd.

Top of my head:

Robert dyas
Packed direct
AliExpress
Travelup
Screwfix
fanpages11/11/2019 14:40

From the not-too-distant past...[Image]

"Hukd is not a promotional tool"

Think I just snort-laughed on the train!
adam_holcombe11/11/2019 15:30

Again. This thread is about proving you're being as transparent as you say …Again. This thread is about proving you're being as transparent as you say you are. Which we know isn't true considering how you guys hide paid promotions as deals,(contrary to section 2 of the ASA's CAP code). And yes they do know which links earn money I bet I can guess 5 retailers who pay hukd. Top of my head:Robert dyasPacked directAliExpressTravelupScrewfix

It is about transparency but you said something which was completely untrue. I asked you for proof and you had none which wasn't a surprise to me because you can't prove something which is not true.

I've already said it but i'll say it again - moderators do not know which merchants on site are monetised. Nor do they need to in order to do their job.
magicjay198611/11/2019 15:48

It is about transparency but you said something which was completely …It is about transparency but you said something which was completely untrue. I asked you for proof and you had none which wasn't a surprise to me because you can't prove something which is not true. I've already said it but i'll say it again - moderators do not know which merchants on site are monetised. Nor do they need to in order to do their job.

Does an expert have the ability to delete a deal?

If an expert's paid promotion deal goes fold, for some reason them seem to all get deleted.

Funny that.

Look at the highlights and notice just how many come from hukd staff, from paid advertisers (gearbest, AliExpress, et al.)

I think this forum can still be saved, however you all need to stop treating us, your money earners, with such contempt.

Edit; how many of my 5 were correct?
Edited by: "adam_holcombe" 11th Nov
adam_holcombe11/11/2019 15:51

Does an expert have the ability to delete a deal?If an expert's paid …Does an expert have the ability to delete a deal?If an expert's paid promotion deal goes fold, for some reason them seem to all get deleted. Funny that. Look at the highlights and notice just how many come from hukd staff, from paid advertisers (gearbest, AliExpress, et al.)I think this forum can still be saved, however you all need to stop treating us, your money earners, with such contempt.Edit; how many of my 5 were correct?

You can delete deals up to around 10 mins after posting.

But if you do HUKD’s often put them back again anyway so no point.
@magicjay1986

Was the OP's thread really removed on the basis that he 'hadn't responded to replies within 90 minutes'?
magicjay198611/11/2019 15:17

It absolutely is a priority. It wasn't an overnight fix but it is almost …It absolutely is a priority. It wasn't an overnight fix but it is almost ready

we can see its not an overnight fix (though in reality it was) but its now OVER A MONTH since you told us you were attempting to be transparent about issues that have been happening for many many months
conveniently you were wanting to be transparent at just the moment the ASA got involved

am glad to see that this is a 'priority', obviously you are ignoring feedback forum to rush this through?
else the fact the forum is kinda broken atm would have been acknowledged
Edited by: "brilly" 11th Nov
fanpages11/11/2019 14:40

From the not-too-distant past...[Image]

38958827-qxZ5l.jpg

But it's fine if somebody does it on your behalf
deeky11/11/2019 16:08

[Image] But it's fine if somebody does it on your behalf

Give them a chance to make some people some wages! How long was that deputy editor job posted???
deeky11/11/2019 16:08

[Image] But it's fine if somebody does it on your behalf

But that’s ok because it will be a good deal your getting, is the justification over and over again.
adam_holcombe11/11/2019 15:08

Good to see you treat your customers with such respect. Can't say I'm …Good to see you treat your customers with such respect. Can't say I'm surprised to be honest.

Be lucky they didn't just deleted your post using a BS excuse! lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants