Groups

HUKD's most common cliches, stereotypes & formulaic phrases...

Can you think of any cliches, stereotypes or other formulaic phrases that you come across on HUKD? The type of things that show the speaker has put little thought into what s/he says; instead just grabbed a well-worn collection of words from the shelf of popular sayings. You know the kind of thing: "At the end of the day they are all a bunch of crooks" or "It's what puts the GREAT in GB!"

Help put the sword to thoughtless language by highlighting its worst abuses!

105 Comments

Original Poster

I'll start:

"...from the shelf of popular sayings" is a pretty pathetic one.

'cold'

or the one I always use... "It's all relative" (in relation to temperatures)

im not a racist/homophobe/xenophobe, i have plenty of black/gay/foreign friends but........

Original Poster

guerilla;2669130

im not a racist/homophobe/xenophobe, i have plenty of black/gay/foreign … im not a racist/homophobe/xenophobe, i have plenty of black/gay/foreign freinds but........

Yep, I nearly used that one as an example myself. Glad it didn't take too long to be arrive by other means! (Btw, nice to see you again - argggghhhh, a cliche! - guerilla) :thumbsup:

I wrote that one especially for you, when i read the title i was surprised you hadnt written it yourself.

yeah liddle i was suprised you hadnt used that one..i used the homophoic one recently

and i missed the parade on sat...still no more enlighten to pride haha

Original Poster

Hey look at this thread, a carbon copy of what guerilla was pointing to: hotukdeals.com/ite…ss/

"I have absolutely no problem with this and support them fully. However, [...]"

If it was up to you, no one would be posting here apart from you. No cliches, no stereotypes, no opinions, no opposite thoughts to you, no fun...

Or would you like us all to forward our posts to you first so you can see if they're to your standards? Then may we converse with our friends and others on a public forum?

Original Poster

guerilla;2669212

I wrote that one especially for you, when i read the title i was … I wrote that one especially for you, when i read the title i was surprised you hadnt written it yourself.

allstar2;2669234

yeah liddle i was suprised you hadnt used that one..i used the homophoic … yeah liddle i was suprised you hadnt used that one..i used the homophoic one recently :)and i missed the parade on sat...still no more enlighten to pride haha

@ guerilla: hehe - I know you did; I remember our earlier conversation well. (I hope you read that paper!). You are one of the few who stand out in my mind as being genuinely interested to think and learn :thumbsup:

@ allstar2 - yeah, I was surprised at you, but you redeemed yourself as you carried on

Original Poster

angelfairee;2669293

If it was up to you, no one would be posting here apart from you. No … If it was up to you, no one would be posting here apart from you. No cliches, no stereotypes, no opinions, no opposite thoughts to you, no fun...Or would you like us all to forward our posts to you first so you can see if they're to your standards? Then may we converse with our friends and others on a public forum?

:whistling:

parody threads

liddle i think someone doesnt like you!

yes after re-reading my op in that thread i was suprised at myself too..but the point was i didnt want people turning round and being offended by my thread by perceiving me to be homophobic

anyhows on the topic of pride i have agreed to embrace it next year and go see the parade lol

formulaic phrases

liddle whats this? i could google but that would deprive me of your wonderful explaination

Liddle ol' me;2669294

@ guerilla: hehe - I know you did; I remember our earlier conversation … @ guerilla: hehe - I know you did; I remember our earlier conversation well. (I hope you read that paper!). You are one of the few who stand out in my mind as being genuinely interested to think and learn :thumbsup:

Soemtimes I think its being genuinely interested in avoiding work. Alas, I have not yet read that paper, I will though promise.

Original Poster

allstar2;2669336

liddle whats this? i could google but that would deprive me of your … liddle whats this? i could google but that would deprive me of your wonderful explaination

nah, go on - use google and then you can explain it to me!

they are phrases which are fixed or change very little

fixed : by the way
    flexible: on the way (mabe changed slightly eg on my way)

ps this thread was number 3 when i googled formulatic phrases

Original Poster

haha - only two other hits above me! Now that proves conclusively that you can't accuse me of using cliched, stereotyped language!

Banned

angelfairee;2669293

If it was up to you, no one would be posting here apart from you. No … If it was up to you, no one would be posting here apart from you. No cliches, no stereotypes, no opinions, no opposite thoughts to you, no fun...Or would you like us all to forward our posts to you first so you can see if they're to your standards? Then may we converse with our friends and others on a public forum?

Maybe they should get a job here:-

hotukdeals.com/ite…ng/

Original Poster

Maybe we should add the most obvious put-downs to this thread?

Original Poster

From the other thread that has been pulled. Since I took the time to type my response, I'll paste it here:

Mclovin;2670012

"A witty saying proves nothing," -Voltaire. see i can quote too.

It says a lot actually. I'll explain it in language you might understand more easily.

"...a sometimes all-too-easy appropriation of politically correct discourse is bandied about in the public sphere, thereby placing the speaker beyond reproach and his/her ideologies beyond interrogation. This split discourse becomes quite absurd in many instances." (Harris 2003)

It means that the 'anti-pc' person attempts to appropriate (i.e. to take or employ) the pc language for their own uses. But the irony is that they use the language of so-called political correctness to attack those who display politically correct attitudes! In other words, they use it to make themselves look good, while slating it at the same time. Now I'm sure you can see the irony in that, even if you want to play at being thick. If you want to understand the absurdity of this, take a look at the two quotes from the OP I used above. His language use aptly shows this quote in action. He not only attempts to 'turn the tables' on pc also tries to neutralise the intended effects of the well-intentioned ideas it contains.

Original Poster

jonnyq;2670082

suffice (it) to say cliches are used for a reasonstereotypes have an … suffice (it) to say cliches are used for a reasonstereotypes have an element of truth pot calling kettle black i am entitled to my opinion if they don't like it they should go back to their countrywhat about my human rights?i'm sick and tired of these...but still .... you are like Hitler / Nazis - (and variations thereof)what about freedom of speech?the law protects criminals for our own security / protect our freedoms at the end of the daylet's agree to disagreeit's clear that you are / support ....your posts are not cromulent and you fail to embiggen us all

Yes, good list jonnyq. The last one is certainly the most overused of the lot :whistling: :gift:

Its their, not there (usually used when they have no comeback for what you said, so result for spelling mistakes)

Original Poster

black gerbil1;2670453

Its their, not there (usually used when they have no comeback for what … Its their, not there (usually used when they have no comeback for what you said, so result for spelling mistakes):p

yes, I remember the days when a few people on here used to claim this was the kind of thing I did. I didn't of course, they just tranferred their own ideas concerning what someone who makes complaints about language use does. Surface errors don't bother me - it's the intended message that counts.

Ah, but I digress! (that's another complaint angelfairee can add to her list. So far these last two days I've been "boring" (at least three times), "intolerable", "despicable", and quite a few other big words )

EDIT: I think "reprehensible" was another, but I may be wrong about that one...

Liddle ol' me;2670512

Ah, but I digress! (that's another complaint angelfairee can add to her … Ah, but I digress! (that's another complaint angelfairee can add to her list. So far these last two days I've been "boring" (at least three times), "intolerable", "despicable", and quite a few other big words ).

your certainly not boring or despicable, far from it if you ask me.:-D

Banned

Commonly used terms (by some!)

oh dear.
    spammed.
    oh, XXXXX has been suspended.:)

Original Poster

black gerbil1;2670569

your certainly not boring or despicable, far from it if you ask me.:-D

Thanks for that - and I can say the same for you :thumbsup: Anyway, I'm not too worried. It's the quiet enemies that we need to be wary of, eh? The occasional person following me around looking for an opportunity to pounce doesn't really bother me. If the kind of people who prefer to trade insults rather than ideas are mad at me, then maybe that's not a bad thing when you think about it.

Original Poster

guv;2670743

Commonly used terms (by some!)oh dear.spammed.oh, XXXXX has been … Commonly used terms (by some!)oh dear.spammed.oh, XXXXX has been suspended.:)

Oh dear, I use 'oh dear' quite a lot now that you mention it! And it's usually 'why has x been suspended?', isn't it? A kind of HUKD gossip (of which I am also guilty of on occasions)

BRB playing GTA

congratulations....1000posts, 2000 etc

though now they have been banned/combined into one thread

Banned

Liddle ol' me;2670861

Oh dear, I use 'oh dear' quite a lot now that you mention it! And it's … Oh dear, I use 'oh dear' quite a lot now that you mention it! And it's usually 'why has x been suspended?', isn't it? A kind of HUKD gossip (of which I am also guilty of on occasions)

If you are "guilty" of using them, it's not something I have noticed!

Suppose you can also add;

reported
    serious thread
    that is off topic, go and make your own
    its my US spell checker

Original Poster

Titchimp;2670867

BRB playing GTA

That was more a signature though - and it was only commonly used for a relatively short period. And it was funny imo, so doesn't count as cliche.

allstar2;2670871

congratulations....1000posts, 2000 etcthough now they have been … congratulations....1000posts, 2000 etcthough now they have been banned/combined into one thread

Yes, they got a bit repetitive didn't they? I'm glad the mods banned them as separate threads. Although I did understand their purpose (keeping a 'community' feel etc.), they bacame something of an exercise in banality after a while. :?

Original Poster

guv;2670897

Suppose you can also add;reportedserious threadthat is off topic, go and … Suppose you can also add;reportedserious threadthat is off topic, go and make your ownits my US spell checker

But some of these things are just words that serve a purpose. It would be nearly impossible to convey the meaning of 'reported' in endless varieties of novel and interesting ways.

Serious thread - Maybe - but how about 'Have you swallowed a dictionary?' That one always makes me laugh (but not because it is funny, because it is SO unoriginal) :-D

Banned

Liddle ol' me;2670956

But some of these things are just words that serve a purpose. It would be … But some of these things are just words that serve a purpose. It would be nearly impossible to convey the meaning of 'reported' in endless varieties of novel and interesting ways.

I don't think when used, they are meant to sound interesting, just how clever someone thinks they are.

Serious thread - Maybe - but how about 'Have you swallowed a … Serious thread - Maybe - but how about 'Have you swallowed a dictionary?' That one always makes me laugh (but not because it is funny, because it is SO unoriginal) :-D

Not come across that one. I doubt the average user here would justifiably be capable of slinging that one without looking a little foolish!

Original Poster

guv;2670996

I don't think when used, they are meant to sound interesting, just how … I don't think when used, they are meant to sound interesting, just how clever someone thinks they are.

Maybe. But again I have used reported on a few occasions when I felt strongly enough that a thread should be reported. Each occasion has been driven by a sense of ... dare i say it ... outrage. Def not trying to look smart. But I can understand how some people might use it without that sense of purpose; bit like a child trying to use a 'grown-up' word...

guv;2670996

Not come across that one. I doubt the average user here would justifiably … Not come across that one. I doubt the average user here would justifiably be capable of slinging that one without looking a little foolish!

You'd be surprised - I have seen that used here on at least half a dozen occasions. :w00t: The reason I know is that they have all been aimed at me. Once or twice might have been used with a sense of irony, but at least a few of them were used as a put-down by people I was disagreeing with about some issue or other

Original Poster

jonnyq;2671162

take your head out of the sand / cloudsget the bigger picture it could be … take your head out of the sand / cloudsget the bigger picture it could be worse i'm gonna leave before i say something i regretthere is no reasoning with youit's one rule for some and another for others the mods are power mad / drunk with poweryou are up yourself you are so cold / heartless / insensitive from my personal experience / i know many people who ....the list is endless / etc. my opinion, for what it's worth / being pragmatic I believe...look at the current situation / what about recent events a straw man argument (and other list of fallacies)what i was really trying to say...kthnxbai

I love the comprehensiveness of your replies! And also that you maintain a consistent line of humour with the final item each time :thumbsup:

And another one from your list that always makes me laugh is the "it's one rule for some and another for others" one. Not quite sure what it is I find so amusing about it, but it's as if people are reaching for a 'deep' one-stop answer to their problems. A kind of "I know the ways of the world, let me tell you!". I can't quite put my finger on it (that's a good cliche!), but it It always sounds so naive or something...

Original Poster

jonnyq;2671234

i made a few edits - you might want to quote me again :pin regards to the … i made a few edits - you might want to quote me again :pin regards to the term which you find amusing - i think it is that some people are seen to get special treatment or are allowed to act with - a perceived - impunity

Yes, that's very well put. In fact put in such eloquent terms that you'll probably be accused of "being up yourself" by someone before too long

But the naivety bit comes from the fact that they see (or perceive) this but can't seemingly do anything about it. And of course you can probably guess where I'm going here.... I'm talking about them looking at the situation carefully and trying to work out the reasons. Because there are always reasons, but those who rely on cliches are unable to reflect on the situation to understand those reasons precisely because they rely on cliches! It's a catch 22 - and they are trapped by their own false confidence and bravado! hey, I'm on fire, keep em' comin'! :w00t:

Liddle ol' me;2670512

yes, I remember the days when a few people on here used to claim this was … yes, I remember the days when a few people on here used to claim this was the kind of thing I did. I didn't of course, they just tranferred their own ideas concerning what someone who makes complaints about language use does. Surface errors don't bother me - it's the intended message that counts. Ah, but I digress! (that's another complaint angelfairee can add to her list. So far these last two days I've been "boring" (at least three times), "intolerable", "despicable", and quite a few other big words )EDIT: I think "reprehensible" was another, but I may be wrong about that one...

Just boring and intolerable actually. I don't claim those to be 'big words' either.

Original Poster

Where are you jonnyq when I need ya? :whistling:

Original Poster

jonnyq;2671353

please do not traduce - kthnxbaihttp://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF246-Bee.gif

Definitions of traduce on the Web:

* verb - 1. to say untrue or malicious things about; defame; slander; vilify 2. to make a mockery of; betray
    gdiproductions.net/srd…md/

* badmouth: speak unfavorably about; "She badmouths her husband everywhere"
    wordnet.princeton.edu/per…bwn

* To malign a person or entity by making malicious and false or defamatory statements
    en.wiktionary.org/wik…uce

I like the comic strips at first glance. What's the site all about, and why link me too it?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 41% of 40-60 year olds do not go for a brisk walk of >10 minutes A MONTH!810
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4952437
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764716
      4. GCSE Results day78

See more discussions