Humming sound indoors is doing my head in

10 replies
Found 7th Nov 2016
Neighbour in my flats had a smart meter fitted on Thursday last week, ever since I have been able to hear a constant low thrumming noise that is very annoying. I believe the sound is being caused by the new electric meter in the electric cupboard. His energy supplier are refusing to send an engineer out. My brother used to be a meter fitter and says that all that needs to happen is the screws fixing it to the board need loosening a quarter turn. Has anyone else ever encountered this or know of ways to solve it? I can't get into the meter as it has a fascia that needs removing. It is a landis gyr rectangular meter.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

let me think..

... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

have you tried pouring water on it?

Ring them back and say it's faulty, say no matter how much electricity I'm using the meter isn't registering it. I.e not charging you for it when someone comes out say you been called out for a humming noise.

Are you positive that the low frequency noise is coming from the electric meter? Is it's on your adjoining wall, otherwise unless the cupboard acts as an amplifier, the noise would have difficulty to travel through to your location. (Unless you have inadequate noise isolation). Rather the possibility is that the cause is either a new white appliance, central heating - water and heating especially as it's Winter or pumps for power showers or CH.

Have a polite word with your neighbours to see if the problem can be tracked down. Otherwise the other route is the Landlord (private, council, housing association), property manager or Environmental Health..................

Edited by: "nemesiz" 8th Nov 2016

Original Poster

nemesiz

Are you positive that the low frequency noise is coming from the electric … Are you positive that the low frequency noise is coming from the electric meter? Is it's on your adjoining wall, otherwise unless the cupboard acts as an amplifier, the noise would have difficulty to travel through to your location. (Unless you have inadequate noise isolation). Rather the possibility is that the cause is either a new white appliance, central heating - water and heating especially as it's Winter or pumps for power showers or CH. Have a polite word with your neighbours to see if the problem can be tracked down. Otherwise the other route is the Landlord (private, council, housing association), property manager or Environmental Health..................

The sound insulation in this property is non existent. I'm in a converted Victorian house that was converted in the 80s. I can hear everything from the surrounding flats.

Is it definitely the new meter? Presumably they haven't coincidentally had anything else that could cause the issue?

You have my sympathy.

I am very sensitive to low and high pitched background noise.

I have recently solved two problems in my house, namely thrumming Tivo box and a fan.

I used a Draper 30743 Vibration Absorber Mat.

Took me ages to work out the Tivo box as I could hear it when I was in bed... It is in the room downstairs in a TV cabinet.

Good luck sorting your issue.

Original Poster

hottoast

Is it definitely the new meter? Presumably they haven't coincidentally … Is it definitely the new meter? Presumably they haven't coincidentally had anything else that could cause the issue?You have my sympathy. I am very sensitive to low and high pitched background noise. I have recently solved two problems in my house, namely thrumming Tivo box and a fan. I used a Draper 30743 Vibration Absorber Mat. Took me ages to work out the Tivo box as I could hear it when I was in bed... It is in the room downstairs in a TV cabinet. Good luck sorting your issue.

Thanks! I need all the luck I can get. I'm off into the neighbours flat tomorrow to see if I can hear the sound in there. It's weird as I can also hear it bouncing back of the Windows. Nothing has changed in my property and it can be heard in every room on two floors except one which is made purely of stud wall and not solid brick.

If they have a Tivo box or equivalent, I recommend you check it.

They are noisy even in standby, and mine was resonating inside the TV cabinet which amplified the noise.

hottoast

If they have a Tivo box or equivalent, I recommend you check it. They … If they have a Tivo box or equivalent, I recommend you check it. They are noisy even in standby, and mine was resonating inside the TV cabinet which amplified the noise.

You think the OP can hear next doors neighbours tivo box?

It is a converted victorian house with no sound insulation.... who knows.

Just offered as a possibility to check for.

Low resonating noise can come from anything with a motor.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75856
    2. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    4. Win free gin for a year99

See more discussions