Hundreds of jobs at risk as Toys 'R' Us UK stores face closure *Update list of stores closing*

Found 1st Dec 2017
Top Toy Retailer Toys R Us is set to close around 1/3 of it's UK stores (approx 25 of the 84 permanent stores that they have) with a loss of around 500 - 800 jobs.

It is understood to be working on a company voluntary agreement (CVA) in order to renegotiate debts owed by the company to its landlords which will require the approval of 75 per cent of its creditors and lead to the closure of the worst performing stores.

The toy giant, which has around 3,000 workers, recorded a loss of £500,000 in the year to January. It is understood to have made a loss in seven of the past eight years

Update 05/12 - stores earmarked for closure

Aberdeen Basingstoke Belfast, Newtownabbey Birmingham, St Andrews Bolton Bradford Brislington Cambridge Cardiff Derry City Doncaster East Kilbride Exeter Hayes Kirkcaldy Leicester Livingston Manchester, Central Retail Park Old Kent Road Plymouth Scunthorpe Shrewsbury Tamworth Tunbridge Wells Watford York

Read more: metro.co.uk/201…are

Twitter: twitter.com/Met…oUK | Facebook: facebook.com/Met…UK/

news.sky.com/sto…760

bbc.co.uk/new…182

theguardian.com/bus…res
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Saw this on the BBC.

If you have gift vouchers, may be a good idea to redeem them asap.
Edited by: "Speculator" 1st Dec 2017
groenleader1 m ago

I remember when they came and robbed us all of our local toy …I remember when they came and robbed us all of our local toy shops.Deciding what toys we would be able to buy by stocking what they thought was profitable for them. Time to send Geoffrey to the zoo and let this company rot in the ground!

You think it's only toys r us that have done this?
Banned
Saw Geoffrey leaving a store today with a box with his belongings in, very sad!
Maybe if they'd fixed that wonky R they wouldn't be in this mess.
38 Comments
Saw this on the BBC.

Edited by: "Speculator" 1st Dec 2017
Speculator2 m ago

Upgrade that to tomorrow
Original Poster
yep get them spent if you have any
I remember when they came and robbed us all of our local toy shops.

Deciding what toys we would be able to buy by stocking what they thought was profitable for them.

Time to send Geoffrey to the zoo and let this company rot in the ground!
Misleading title. Closing 25 of the 105 store that run at a loss.

The one near me is pretty empty most of the year. Only busy a few weeks before Xmas and when Next has a sale as its next door.
groenleader1 m ago

I remember when they came and robbed us all of our local toy …I remember when they came and robbed us all of our local toy shops.Deciding what toys we would be able to buy by stocking what they thought was profitable for them. Time to send Geoffrey to the zoo and let this company rot in the ground!

Bure1119 m ago

Are you thinking Smyths as well?
Banned
Saw Geoffrey leaving a store today with a box with his belongings in, very sad!
Shengis36 m ago

Are you thinking Smyths as well?

Not in particular but they apply too. I meant in general, any big retailer from any market does this.
It's a relic of the 90's anyway,the one here is even in a tramp urine soaked crass 90's parking complex.
I'd be surprised if Cardiff doesn't go. Used to be in the city centre and very busy, until the St David's 2 got the go ahead. They moved down the bay and was doomed from then, very quiet now.
bryanhaines3993 h, 26 m ago

Do their wonky Rs look big in this?
I've been in the brent cross one twice and wasn't impressed.

The first time i hated them and sweared I'd never go again, reserved a game online in an offer from here, spent ages on the bus getting there, got told i had to pay first then go to the kiosk to collect it, spent ages at both and they could not find the thing so then had to go and queue up again to get my money back from customer services.

Second time we had vouchers but they didn't have half the stuff they got on the website and it was all over priced imho.

Toy galaxy in Ealing Broadway is a nice toy shop give them your support if in the area, its the only little toy shop i know
Darzen8 h, 16 m ago

I'd be surprised if Cardiff doesn't go. Used to be in the city centre and …I'd be surprised if Cardiff doesn't go. Used to be in the city centre and very busy, until the St David's 2 got the go ahead. They moved down the bay and was doomed from then, very quiet now.

There is one in the centre, at the top of queen street. Its been there a few months
Original Poster
not sure if they changed it but you wasnt allowed bags in you had to leave it behind the desk, treated everyone as they were sholifters
Sadly (or not, depends on your shopping choices!) this is the future of high street retail. With Amazon being able to get things to your door, cheaper, in 24 hours (or less if you're in an area with Prime Now) there's just not compelling reason to put your faith in either pot luck or an ailing stock system that rarely seems to reflect the actual contents of the store!

The only thing I will miss is mooching around the stores with my kids ... to then go home and order it online!
catbeans10 h, 24 m ago

It's a relic of the 90's anyway,the one here is even in a tramp urine …It's a relic of the 90's anyway,the one here is even in a tramp urine soaked crass 90's parking complex.

Sounds like Plymouth! After a while you can tell which brand of cheap cider the local shop sells by the odour.
marteee1 h, 29 m ago

Sadly (or not, depends on your shopping choices!) this is the future of …Sadly (or not, depends on your shopping choices!) this is the future of high street retail. With Amazon being able to get things to your door, cheaper, in 24 hours (or less if you're in an area with Prime Now) there's just not compelling reason to put your faith in either pot luck or an ailing stock system that rarely seems to reflect the actual contents of the store!The only thing I will miss is mooching around the stores with my kids ... to then go home and order it online!

^ Exactly this.
Our local one only opened for 4 months before it closed
This is what happens when you don't compete with online deals.
Never stocking any of the most wanted toys.
Day of the snes release I went in store to get one to be told they didn't get any instore, same with LOL dolls.
I also wanted a knex feris wheel as this was reduced but no stock.
I've managed to get everything I wanted at argos.
catbeans13 h, 49 m ago

It's a relic of the 90's anyway,the one here is even in a tramp urine …It's a relic of the 90's anyway,the one here is even in a tramp urine soaked crass 90's parking complex.

Plymouth by any chance?
svetts3 h, 57 m ago

Sounds like Plymouth! After a while you can tell which brand of cheap …Sounds like Plymouth! After a while you can tell which brand of cheap cider the local shop sells by the odour.

cmdr_elito32 m ago

Plymouth by any chance?

catbeans15 h, 38 m ago

Wouldn't happen to be Birmingham, would it?
GAVINLEWISHUKD18 h, 8 m ago

Misleading title. Closing 25 of the 105 store that run at a loss.The one …Misleading title. Closing 25 of the 105 store that run at a loss.The one near me is pretty empty most of the year. Only busy a few weeks before Xmas and when Next has a sale as its next door.

And what the employees.
Toys R Us came in because they saw a market, if smaller toy shops are not willing to embrace new technology and marketing thats up to them.
Not surprised at all with this news , was at deepdale branch last week and stuff on the floor what a mess empty shelves and no staff to find for help but go through to check outs and all were open and staffed but it was dead , they were just sat there where they could of been asked to clear the floors, smyths next time for sure
Toptrumpet1st Dec

Upgrade that to tomorrow

Might be best to upgrade that to yesterday!
Original Poster
Lincoln is not on list but will be closing as its being knocked down when they redevelop st marks
Yet they're merrily offering gift cards with certain purchases!
They’re are only closing the non profitable ones before the important Boxing Day Date.

No need to scare people. It’s always better to spend GV sooner rather than later, anyway.
Edited by: "TheAppleGeezer" 5th Dec 2017
I stopped going to my local Toys R Us after they decided to give charity muggers space to harass people as they leave. I don't mean outside the shop, I mean inside the store, after you've paid for your shopping, a group of bods from some random charity (presumably who've paid for the floor space) would try and guilt you into setting up a standing order.

If I've just been shopping, carrying unwieldy boxes/bags and minding three excitable kids who desperately want to get home, the last thing I need is to be stopped for a "chat" by some college kids wanting my bank details. And since it's easier, and often cheaper, to order from Amazon I don't need Toys R Us any more. Good riddance!
ballencrieff1 h, 51 m ago

I stopped going to my local Toys R Us after they decided to give charity …I stopped going to my local Toys R Us after they decided to give charity muggers space to harass people as they leave. I don't mean outside the shop, I mean inside the store, after you've paid for your shopping, a group of bods from some random charity (presumably who've paid for the floor space) would try and guilt you into setting up a standing order.If I've just been shopping, carrying unwieldy boxes/bags and minding three excitable kids who desperately want to get home, the last thing I need is to be stopped for a "chat" by some college kids wanting my bank details. And since it's easier, and often cheaper, to order from Amazon I don't need Toys R Us any more. Good riddance!

Wow, you never thought those charity workers have a family feed too. Is it not good enough just to say "No thank you" and if they insist "No thank you".
jinkssick10 h, 21 m ago

Wow, you never thought those charity workers have a family feed too. Is it …Wow, you never thought those charity workers have a family feed too. Is it not good enough just to say "No thank you" and if they insist "No thank you".

It's bad enough I have to constantly bat away charity muggers on the high street every day. Force me to tolerate them in your shop and that's a shop I won't be visiting again. Them having a family to feed is not my responsibility and not at all something I'm thinking about, or want to think about, when I'm going about my shopping and trying to look after my kids.
ballencrieff1 h, 10 m ago

It's bad enough I have to constantly bat away charity muggers on the high …It's bad enough I have to constantly bat away charity muggers on the high street every day. Force me to tolerate them in your shop and that's a shop I won't be visiting again. Them having a family to feed is not my responsibility and not at all something I'm thinking about, or want to think about, when I'm going about my shopping and trying to look after my kids.

But what I an saying is your threshold is very low. A simple 'No thank you' is all that is needed, with increased repetition if they are persistent. No need to act like they are covered in gangrene even if they are in the middle of an aisle at Tesco or outside your favourite restaurant. I would hate to wonder if you ever needed help and the person administering it, has a reception as warm as yours. All the best.
Maplins could be next
Original Poster
gosh, not looking good
Just spent the vouchers i had from the children's birthdays and have opened their cards from family members (that i know are money cards) and found 2 in there for Toy r us. Went down today and spent it.

No wonder they are in trouble. Big ish queue of 7 people. 1 checkout open and 4 people at customer service yapping away.

And my boys love Cars and Toy story. They had only 4 cars 3 cars there, and hardly anything Toy Story. Popped into Smyths on way home and they have 1/2 aisle dedicated to Cars and about a hundred cars 3 toys there.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions