Hundreds of jobs set to go at Tesco

Editor 116
Found 22nd Jan
If Mondays weren't miserable enough, Tesco have announced plans to cut 1700 shop floor jobs as part of their cost cutting drive.

2881581.jpg(via Metro)

The supermarket said the changes will see the roles of people manager, customer experience manager and compliance manager removed from large stores in an effort to ‘simplify’ its operational structure.

Tesco said the shake up will give line managers more ‘direct accountability’ for customer service, as well as ‘improve efficiency’. The changes will affect 1,700 staff, for who Tesco said it will attempt to find alternative roles within the business ‘wherever possible’. Matt Davies, who heads up Tesco UK and Ireland, said: ‘These changes remove complexity and will deliver a simpler, more helpful experience for colleagues and customers. We recognise these are difficult changes to make but they are necessary to ensure our business remains competitive and set up for the future.

‘Our priority now is to support affected colleagues through these changes in any way we can. We hope to retain as many colleagues as possible in the new roles we have created and in the vacancies we currently have available.’ Tesco added that 900 new roles with broader remits will be created under the titles of people partners, learning partners and colleague relations partners.

Tesco has axed thousands of jobs in recent years as it ploughs on with a turnaround plan under chief executive Dave Lewis. Last year it culled 1,200 jobs at its head office and said 1,100 jobs would be axed after confirming plans to shut its call centre in Cardiff. During his time as chief executive, Mr Lewis has ordered more than 10,000 job cuts spanning head office, supermarkets and overseas operations.

Will these cuts affect you or anyone you know that work for Tesco? Let us know in the comments.
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments
everyone who uses self checkout and scan as you shop, this is your fault

if everyone tommorow just qued up at tills they will pannick and employ loads of staff, your food will go up a few pence, not £ like they make it out to be
whelan1892 h, 34 m ago

everyone who uses self checkout and scan as you shop, this is your faultif …everyone who uses self checkout and scan as you shop, this is your faultif everyone tommorow just qued up at tills they will pannick and employ loads of staff, your food will go up a few pence, not £ like they make it out to be

What a rubbish statement.
There are thousands of jobs that go into the making, design and development of these machines. Higher skilled jobs in IT, Design and Software Development, not to mention the contractors that install them and maintain them.

Not many people want to spend 50 years of their lives sitting in a chair swiping barcodes for £8 an hour, so if they get off their arse, reskill in software, or design, they can have much better lives.
It's called progress and takes some mundane jobs out of the system.
whelan1891 h, 20 m ago

everyone who uses self checkout and scan as you shop, this is your faultif …everyone who uses self checkout and scan as you shop, this is your faultif everyone tommorow just qued up at tills they will pannick and employ loads of staff, your food will go up a few pence, not £ like they make it out to be

Why would I want to queue up at a till if I have a small amount of shopping say?
I welcome automation, efficiency and streamlining.
Employing people just for the sake of statistics is silly.
116 Comments
Times are changing...

if everyone tommorow just qued up at tills they will pannick and employ loads of staff, your food will go up a few pence, not £ like they make it out to be
First carillion goes bankrupt now Tesco cutting jobs and people say the economy's fine?😭🤔
"...Tesco added that 900 new roles with broader remits will be created under the titles of people partners, learning partners and colleague relations partners..."

Next stop... local Government.
Splice11 m ago

First carillion goes bankrupt now Tesco cutting jobs and people say the …First carillion goes bankrupt now Tesco cutting jobs and people say the economy's fine?😭🤔

That is like saying climate change doesn't exist because the weather was cold last week.
whelan18916 m ago

"Pannick"... Something Antony Worrall Thompson started.

33113947-QXILJ.jpg

This is his fault.
It’s all those Xbox deals!
Splice21 m ago

First carillion goes bankrupt now Tesco cutting jobs and people say the …First carillion goes bankrupt now Tesco cutting jobs and people say the economy's fine?😭🤔

33114028-b1I77.jpg
whelan18932 m ago

But the story says...
33114076-M72h7.jpg

33114076-Xuf3K.jpg
fanpages14 m ago

...and PlayStation Pro discounts...[ …...and PlayStation Pro discounts...[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ps4-pro-white-1tb-gt-sport-hidden-agenda-extra-dualshock-controller-20501-tesco-direct-2861764 ]OK... Antony Worrall Thompson & @Chanchi32 - it's their fault.

Lol
whelan18945 m ago

Its not their fault in the slightest, Tesco snr mgt staff are tasked with two things.

Keep costs as low as possible and make as much money as possible.

& what do the customers want, ever cheaper food and deals galore, they don't want to pay for a better service or if they do they go to waitrose.

So something doesn't add up but I doubt it will be the only re-structure this year, I worked for one company where it was an annual event.
whelan18954 m ago

Tbh the people working at the tills got the same free education as the rest of us, if they can be replaced by a handheld scanner they only have themselves to blame.
They're just getting rid of some managers , which I'm not surprised about. I've been in my local a few times and there have been more managers standing around doing nothing than checkout staff.
whelan1891 h, 20 m ago

Why would I want to queue up at a till if I have a small amount of shopping say?
I welcome automation, efficiency and streamlining.
Employing people just for the sake of statistics is silly.
shadey121 h, 2 m ago

[Image]

But Comrade Corbyn and Invalid Abbot said everyone's poor and unemployed.
Splice1 h, 33 m ago

Tesco shot themselves in the foot by selling horsemeat and then cooking their books by lying about expected profits.
If they had managed themselves better, they wouldn't be in this mess.
Bestard16 m ago

Why would I want to queue up at a till if I have a small amount of …Why would I want to queue up at a till if I have a small amount of shopping say?I welcome automation, efficiency and streamlining.Employing people just for the sake of statistics is silly.

It's got nothing to do with statistics and everything to do with a whole range of low skilled jobs being destroyed.

That turns these employees from consumers able to drive demand in other areas, to a drain on their welfare state.

This is the fundamental issue facing developed economies over the next two decades.

Although in this particular instance it's streamlining of some supervisor roles as a result of supermarkets having a race to the bottom when it comes to prices.
zworld5 m ago

Tesco shot themselves in the foot by selling horsemeat and then cooking …Tesco shot themselves in the foot by selling horsemeat and then cooking their books by lying about expected profits.If they had managed themselves better, they wouldn't be in this mess.

Tesco aren't in a mess ...this step will help to compete with the German discount own branders, who employ very few staff - Tesco has the largest share of Supermarket shopping - about 28% (about 0.3% less than 3 years ago)
Edited by: "davewave" 22nd Jan
deleted458338
Great news ! ... It can only mean less ignorant staff to deal with .
Darzen50 m ago

They're just getting rid of some managers , which I'm not surprised about. …They're just getting rid of some managers , which I'm not surprised about. I've been in my local a few times and there have been more managers standing around doing nothing than checkout staff.

There seem to be 2/3 Ladies setup by the Tills everytime I go in mine, just standing and chatting at the off chance a checkout operator has a problem.
Where our old tesco used to be , a Wilko opened in its place. our Wilko is closing this week
whelan1892 h, 21 m ago

But if we do that the hundreds of people who make sef-service tills will lose their better paying factory jobs!
whelan1892 h, 23 m ago

Brexit strikes again......
whelan1892 h, 34 m ago

What a rubbish statement.
There are thousands of jobs that go into the making, design and development of these machines. Higher skilled jobs in IT, Design and Software Development, not to mention the contractors that install them and maintain them.

Not many people want to spend 50 years of their lives sitting in a chair swiping barcodes for £8 an hour, so if they get off their arse, reskill in software, or design, they can have much better lives.
It's called progress and takes some mundane jobs out of the system.
whelan1892 h, 39 m ago

Try queuing at a till, you have less than 10 items the staff try an usher you onto a self serve, to be honest though I prefer it, I nipped in to buy milk and bread not discuss why Doreen thinks my contactless phone is a wonder and "too easy" to spend money, where I have to feign interest in her wonderment when I really know she has said the same thing to very previous customer.
Edited by: "Ninjesus" 22nd Jan
@msmyth what are these job roles , "Tesco added that 900 new roles with broader remits will be created under the titles of people partners, learning partners and colleague relations partners."
Splice2 h, 55 m ago

Are you asking about the national economy or the finances of two specifc commercial compaies ? The former is managed by economic policies, the latter is managed by profit and loss.
zworld1 h, 32 m ago

Tesco shot themselves in the foot by selling horsemeat and then cooking …Tesco shot themselves in the foot by selling horsemeat and then cooking their books by lying about expected profits.If they had managed themselves better, they wouldn't be in this mess.

The company executives are not in a mess, the Tesco as a company alter ego did not shoot itself in the foot but is in a mess. Note the difference between the people and the Tesco company. The Tesco accounts is with Tesco as a company, the people have their own personal accounts. These latter are not in a mess.

(In contrast to Aldi , which is a family business, Waitrose is a partnership. )
Edited by: "splender" 22nd Jan
Great news I feel.

Sure, some people will have to find new jobs but the future is always arriving and we need to move forwards. My local Argos has halved its staff in favour for machines and tablets. This is a good thing, I do not need to speak to anyone when I go shopping. I go in, order my item, pay and go.

This is the future.
Buckle up.
Sad to say but that’s what happens when this company chase profit, lowering food quality and upping prices. I like many stopped shopping there and went elsewhere (cheaper prices and nicer food).
Chiptivo48 m ago

What a rubbish statement. There are thousands of jobs that go into the …What a rubbish statement. There are thousands of jobs that go into the making, design and development of these machines. Higher skilled jobs in IT, Design and Software Development, not to mention the contractors that install them and maintain them. Not many people want to spend 50 years of their lives sitting in a chair swiping barcodes for £8 an hour, so if they get off their arse, reskill in software, or design, they can have much better lives. It's called progress and takes some mundane jobs out of the system.

Until you get ill from using a computer too much. Great. Software is pretty mundane anyway, the majority of it.
Edited by: "MSK." 22nd Jan
Bestard1 h, 53 m ago

Why would I want to queue up at a till if I have a small amount of …Why would I want to queue up at a till if I have a small amount of shopping say?I welcome automation, efficiency and streamlining.Employing people just for the sake of statistics is silly.

Couldn’t agree with you more
whelan1893 h, 18 m ago

MSK.6 m ago

Unless you get ill from using a computer too much. Great. Software is …Unless you get ill from using a computer too much. Great. Software is pretty mundane anyway, the majority of it.

Is it? The self scan checkout is much more efficient than the staff i see at my local - particularly the checkout manager who seems to like giving staff abuse on the shop floor - hope she gets the boot personally for her awful manner
Edited by: "jase.2" 22nd Jan
jase.24 m ago

Is it? The self scan checkout is much more efficient than the staff i see …Is it? The self scan checkout is much more efficient than the staff i see at my local - particularly the checkout manager who seems to like giving staff abuse on the shop floor - hope she gets the boot personally for her awful manner

Why are you quoting me? I didn't say anything about self service checkouts. I like them.
haritori58 m ago

Try queuing at a till, you have less than 10 items the staff try an usher …Try queuing at a till, you have less than 10 items the staff try an usher you onto a self serve, to be honest though I prefer it, I nipped in to buy milk and bread not discuss why Doreen thinks my contactless phone is a wonder and "too easy" to spend money, where I have to feign interest in her wonderment when I really know she has said the same thing to very previous customer.

I don't mind that. I think Doreen's hot and is by all accounts up for it.
DKLS3 h, 16 m ago

Its not their fault in the slightest, Tesco snr mgt staff are tasked with …Its not their fault in the slightest, Tesco snr mgt staff are tasked with two things.Keep costs as low as possible and make as much money as possible.& what do the customers want, ever cheaper food and deals galore, they don't want to pay for a better service or if they do they go to waitrose. So something doesn't add up but I doubt it will be the only re-structure this year, I worked for one company where it was an annual event.

DKLS3 h, 16 m ago

Its not their fault in the slightest, Tesco snr mgt staff are tasked with …Its not their fault in the slightest, Tesco snr mgt staff are tasked with two things.Keep costs as low as possible and make as much money as possible.& what do the customers want, ever cheaper food and deals galore, they don't want to pay for a better service or if they do they go to waitrose. So something doesn't add up but I doubt it will be the only re-structure this year, I worked for one company where it was an annual event.

This is where that is wrong,

They source and make lets say 100 machines a day, them 100 machines took total 500 employees across sourcing and making and installinf, however it has now replaced 10 jobs for the next 10 years till there replaced,

like another member said trying to use an excuse of its removing mundane jobs, well so is majority of the jobs working in IT, just excuses we all have to eat and its a great way of creating jobs but were making machines do it instead, people only think of tommorow
cmdr_elito1 h, 1 m ago

Sad to say but that’s what happens when this company chase profit, l …Sad to say but that’s what happens when this company chase profit, lowering food quality and upping prices. I like many stopped shopping there and went elsewhere (cheaper prices and nicer food).

You've been replaced by people who like shopping in Tesco.
CoeK3 h, 17 m ago

Tbh the people working at the tills got the same free education as the …Tbh the people working at the tills got the same free education as the rest of us, if they can be replaced by a handheld scanner they only have themselves to blame.

What is it you do For A Living?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants