Groups

Hundreds of Marine A's supporters flock to court to learn today if he will be freed for Christmas.EDIT: Trial to be held february 7-9.

Banned
    'Marine A' Sergeant Alexander Blackman will be home for Christmas if a decision goes his way today. Blackman will find out later if he will be allowed home on bail while he waits for an appeal into his case.
    bbc.co.uk/new…951
    http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/162D6/production/_85483809_alexanderblackman.jpg
    Lets all get behind him! no negativity please!

138 Comments

Lets all get behind him! no negativity please!

so what is the point of this thread if opposing opinions arent allowed?

reminds me of first time deal posters asking for people to go easy on them
    Edited by: "chocci" 16th Dec 2016

OK, safer than in front I guess..

IMHO he shouldn't even be locked up

It was something that went off in battle conditions - where is the convictions for those who commit atrocities against our forces & civilians? There won't be any because they are targetted and taken out when possible. If the Taliban man who was killed didn't want to die he shouldn't be fighting for the Taliban plain and simple.

And yes I support the Geneva Convention but only when the enemy abide by the same convention plain and simple

philphil61

IMHO he shouldn't even be locked upIt was something that went off in … IMHO he shouldn't even be locked upIt was something that went off in battle conditions - where is the convictions for those who commit atrocities against our forces & civilians? There won't be any because they are targetted and taken out when possible. If the Taliban man who was killed didn't want to die he shouldn't be fighting for the Taliban plain and simple.And yes I support the Geneva Convention but only when the enemy abide by the same convention plain and simple

​one rule for them and one for us then, in your opinion?

I wish him all the best today, he fought for this country, a country that has become a bit of a joke unfortunately

Only those with real combat experience should be allowed to render judgement.

philhib1964

​one rule for them and one for us then, in your opinion?

What are you reading?
    Yes they (the Taliban and other similar terrorist groups) play by different rules which made the risk to our military a greater threat. Suggest you read up on the Geneva Convention and ask how are our soldiers are meant to "challenge" the enemy under that convention and then question putting yourself in those circumstances when the "fight" is not fair.

This was straight up murder. Shot an injured and unarmed person, who was no immediate threat. However it was a war so **** happens. But this guy knew he was wrong, specified which rules he was breaking (Geneva convention) and did it anyway, whilst recording the incident. He deserves jail for being a dumb ****.

he can rot in jail, the murdering scumbag.

I guess the OP would behind releasing the murderer if his wife / girlfriend / loved one was murdered by this scumbag.

if not, the OP is a complete hypocrite.

airfix

Only those with real combat experience should be allowed to render … Only those with real combat experience should be allowed to render judgement.

nope, that's up to a court to judge, but the general public have the right to their opinion.

philphil61

IMHO he shouldn't even be locked upIt was something that went off in … IMHO he shouldn't even be locked upIt was something that went off in battle conditions - where is the convictions for those who commit atrocities against our forces & civilians? There won't be any because they are targetted and taken out when possible. If the Taliban man who was killed didn't want to die he shouldn't be fighting for the Taliban plain and simple.And yes I support the Geneva Convention but only when the enemy abide by the same convention plain and simple

so if we were invaded, or say we had massive multiple terrorist attacks and the army was brought in to sort it out, you'd be happy for the terrorists to murder your family and to be spared jail, after all it would have happened under battle conditions, that's essentially what you're saying, either side are fee to murder at will and to not face any consequences.

airfix

Only those with real combat experience should be allowed to render … Only those with real combat experience should be allowed to render judgement.

I agree with this based on personal experience of working in conditions wherein only those who worked in these conditions could have a more informed and insightful understanding.

I'm not making judgement on him - I'm saying persons who have lived and worked in that situation will know things the rest of us cannot possibly know, and that their input should not be disregarded.

I'll be honest and say I don't know how I might have reacted in the Marines situation, I may or may not have pulled the trigger. If he was suffering with post traumatic stress then that too would have played its part. War is horrible.

shauneco

I'll be honest and say I don't know how I might have reacted in the … I'll be honest and say I don't know how I might have reacted in the Marines situation, I may or may not have pulled the trigger. If he was suffering with post traumatic stress then that too would have played its part. War is horrible.

War is hell, and it's usually peeps who have never been to war who make the decision to send others to war.
    Thus, they clearly show they have no real understanding of war, and for those same ignoramus' to then pass judgement on the actions of the people they sent into that hell - only adds insult to injury.

Edited by: "tryn2help" 16th Dec 2016

celticninja

This was straight up murder. Shot an injured and unarmed person, who was … This was straight up murder. Shot an injured and unarmed person, who was no immediate threat. However it was a war so **** happens. But this guy knew he was wrong, specified which rules he was breaking (Geneva convention) and did it anyway, whilst recording the incident. He deserves jail for being a dumb ****.

I'm guessing 99.9% of people in this thread haven't served in an active war zone. War is, horrid, nasty, dirty, disgusting, organised murder. But sometimes it is necessary. This bloke saw his mates killed in front of him, imagine for one minute how this might impact your state of mind. He openly made a mistake, in service of this once great country.
    Until you've been there, you've no idea what this bloke has been through.

Original Poster Banned

I'm watching the live stream closely lots of support outside awaiting a statement!

https://s30.postimg.org/lnxe9x7jl/IMG_1086.png

Paddy_o_furniture

I'm guessing 99.9% of people in this thread haven't served in an active … I'm guessing 99.9% of people in this thread haven't served in an active war zone. War is, horrid, nasty, dirty, disgusting, organised murder. But sometimes it is necessary. This bloke saw his mates killed in front of him, imagine for one minute how this might impact your state of mind. He openly made a mistake, in service of this once great country. Until you've been there, you've no idea what this bloke has been through.

Of course most of us haven't been in a war zone, but these guys signed up to be in the army, they were trained by the army for these very situations and the fact he said he knew he was breaking the Geneva convention means we know the army trained him on his responsibilities in a war zone. Soldiers in these situations all get the rules of engagement that say when they can engage the enemy. This soldier is now trying to rely on a PTSD claim to exhonerate him when the recording clearly shows that he made an informed and knowledgeable decision at the time and it was not a reaction to an immediate threat.

The guy is an idiot, do it and don't record it, do it and destroy the recording, don't do it and let him bleed out. All of these end up with a dead taliban soldier and no court martial. He chose the only way in which he could have ended up facing charges for the death and because he knew what he was doing he committed murder.

celticninja

Of course most of us haven't been in a war zone, but these guys signed up … Of course most of us haven't been in a war zone, but these guys signed up to be in the army, they were trained by the army for these very situations and the fact he said he knew he was breaking the Geneva convention means we know the army trained him on his responsibilities in a war zone. Soldiers in these situations all get the rules of engagement that say when they can engage the enemy. This soldier is now trying to rely on a PTSD claim to exhonerate him when the recording clearly shows that he made an informed and knowledgeable decision at the time and it was not a reaction to an immediate threat. The guy is an idiot, do it and don't record it, do it and destroy the recording, don't do it and let him bleed out. All of these end up with a dead taliban soldier and no court martial. He chose the only way in which he could have ended up facing charges for the death and because he knew what he was doing he committed murder.

He's a Royal Marines Commando, the fighting arm of the Royal Navy.

How do you know he wasn't suffering from combat stress or PTSD?

UK rules of engagement are a joke.

Paddy_o_furniture

He's a Royal Marines Commando, the fighting arm of the Royal Navy. How do … He's a Royal Marines Commando, the fighting arm of the Royal Navy. How do you know he wasn't suffering from combat stress or PTSD? UK rules of engagement are a joke.

Regardless of which part of the armed forces he served he was a trained and experienced soldier. He knew what he was doing was wrong. He did it anyway. Ignorance of the law is never an excuse but blatant disregard for the law needs to be punished.

celticninja

Regardless of which part of the armed forces he served he was a trained … Regardless of which part of the armed forces he served he was a trained and experienced soldier. He knew what he was doing was wrong. He did it anyway. Ignorance of the law is never an excuse but blatant disregard for the law needs to be punished.

I don't think he should go unpunished. But I think the lesser charge of manslaughter is more than adequate. What he done was wrong, no disguising that.

Original Poster Banned

Awaiting the verdict should be any time now.

Paddy_o_furniture

I don't think he should go unpunished. But I think the lesser charge of … I don't think he should go unpunished. But I think the lesser charge of manslaughter is more than adequate. What he done was wrong, no disguising that.

From what I have read we can agree on that. It should have been an option at the original trial, would have avoided dragging all of this up again.

Original Poster Banned

Not looking good

Original Poster Banned

Nope not good Calls of judge is a disgrace outside court.

Original Poster Banned

Got to wait another 7 days.

MrScotchBonnet

Nope not good Calls of judge is a disgrace outside court.

Seems par for the course these days when the mob doesn't like the decision that's made. Fortunately for us the judiciary is independent and can make these decisions without worrying about what the uneducated and uninformed think (or are told to think by the Daily Mail).

Original Poster Banned

celticninja

Seems par for the course these days when the mob doesn't like the … Seems par for the course these days when the mob doesn't like the decision that's made. Fortunately for us the judiciary is independent and can make these decisions without worrying about what the uneducated and uninformed think (or are told to think by the Daily Mail).

Well it was mainly coming from from senior marines who had spent over 3 decades with the force so he probably isn't uninformed about it.

Edited by: "MrScotchBonnet" 16th Dec 2016

MrScotchBonnet

Well it was mainly coming from from senior marines who had spent over 3 … Well it was mainly coming from from senior marines who had spent over 3 decades with the force so he probably isn't uninformed about it.

Spending 3 decades in the armed services gives you insight and knowledge of the armed forces, it certainly doesn't give you a more informed opinion on the law than a senior judge.

Paddy_o_furniture

UK rules of engagement are a joke.

^^this^^
    as with the Geneva Convention

Some people need to educate themselves before voicing their opinion

And yes I'm against the war in Iraq but you can't blame the soldiers you need to blame those in charge of the UK and US together with those business people who had and underlying reason to support the war (profit)

celticninja

Seems par for the course these days when the mob doesn't like the … Seems par for the course these days when the mob doesn't like the decision that's made. Fortunately for us the judiciary is independent and can make these decisions without worrying about what the uneducated and uninformed think (or are told to think by the Daily Mail).

​As a Leave voter I agree completely with this statement .

What did the soldier say in relation to the Geneva convention? Did he say something like I know this is against the Geneva convention and did what he did anyway?

EN1GMA

What did the soldier say in relation to the Geneva convention? Did he say … What did the soldier say in relation to the Geneva convention? Did he say something like I know this is against the Geneva convention and did what he did anyway?

He shot him in the chest, saying "shuffle off this mortal coil you ****".
    Then he said "Obviously this doesn't go anywhere fellas, I've just broke the Geneva convention."

Rom

He shot him in the chest, saying "shuffle off this mortal coil you ****". … He shot him in the chest, saying "shuffle off this mortal coil you ****". Then he said "Obviously this doesn't go anywhere fellas, I've just broke the Geneva convention."

​So wasn't in the heat of battle as he clearly knew what he was doing was against the Geneva convention

Get ready for the usual supporters of Amnesty,Cage and other sympathisers.

EN1GMA

​So wasn't in the heat of battle as he clearly knew what he was doing was … ​So wasn't in the heat of battle as he clearly knew what he was doing was against the Geneva convention

They'd just called in air support, so they must have been under it. The insurgent was mortally wounded as it was.

Iraq and more specifically Afghan, if you're out and about on foot you're at risk, whether it be small arms fire or an IED. Until you've lived it you'll never know anything like it.
    Yes he signed up and took the Queen's shilling, but Afghanistan is a horrid inhospitable place where the enemy does not need to play by the same ridiculous rules you do.

The bloke made a mistake, he took a life that was at its end as it was.

Edited by: "Paddy_o_furniture" 16th Dec 2016

airfix

Lefties

I do not care for people that see us as infidels.
    This guy is protecting me and my family.
    The only problem I see is who kept the footage and did not delete it because he needs a slap.

Original Poster Banned

richardthompson79

I do not care for people that see us as infidels. This guy is protecting … I do not care for people that see us as infidels. This guy is protecting me and my family.The only problem I see is who kept the footage and did not delete it because he needs a slap.

X)

airfix

right, so we sign up to the geneva convention, one of our soldiers deliberately goes against it, and if people say something its called being a leftie?

so this geneva convention is just lip service right? so we sign up to these conventions to make us 'seem' more ;civilised' in the battlefiled, but in reality, all these things we sign up to dont really matter.

is that the gist of it? so signing up to these things makes us think we are morally superior because we supposedly abide by these rules but in reality, its just a charade.

Paddy_o_furniture

They'd just called in air support, so they must have been under it. The … They'd just called in air support, so they must have been under it. The insurgent was mortally wounded as it was. Iraq and more specifically Afghan, if you're out and about on foot you're at risk, whether it be small arms fire or an IED. Until you've lived it you'll never know anything like it.Yes he signed up and took the Queen's shilling, but Afghanistan is a horrid inhospitable place where the enemy does not need to play by the same ridiculous rules you do. The bloke made a mistake, he took a life that was at its end as it was.

can we apply that to everything then, only those who have been through something can render judgement on it?

airfix

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31145
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17406143
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846180
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764241

See more discussions