[Hybrid] Bike Advice!

Found 30th Jul
Hi all, hoping for some advice for purchasing a bike hopefully this week.

I’m looking to buy a bike in the next few days. Had a few before in the cheap range budget (£100-£200) but want to spend a little more for somewhat decent quality that’ll last longer and preferably nice aesthetic. £300 - £400?

I’m fairly settled that I’m going to want a hybrid bike. I won’t be using it for commuting as I live a five minute walk from work. I’m looking to use it more for daily/every other day exercise as I hate the gym and can’t run to save my life - but I should think I’ll be mainly on road/bike path than grass. I’m right in thinking I want a hybrid bike then yeah?

I don’t want a single speed because Yorkshire and I kinda want it to look nice. Either a front or back basket or rack to carry things would be good but the only bikes that actually look nice and have them seem to be like £600+.

Browsing the web I’m attracted to these two (both mobile links)

Option 1

<strong>Option 2</strong>

First question - decent bikes?

Second question - I’ve heard of Cycle Republic before but I’ve not heard of chain reaction, are they well known? Good to order from? Etc

Third question - are the bikes I’m drawn to good models and is either one of them better than the other or is the cheaper one just as good as the more expensive one?

Other than that any input will be appreciated!

TLDR: I want a hybrid bike, help me out.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
What is the purpose of the bike? Commuting or just around town?
Carrera parva from Halfords, only £200 but a well built reliable bike, had mine since march 2015, easily done several thousand miles if not more and no problems apart from about 2 punctures caused by thorns. The only negative is the seat is very hard but I changed it for a gel seat that was £10 in Aldi at the time.

34538967-mzeaL.jpg
Just checking now and it looks like at some point they were selling the 2016 version for £100, would have purchased one as a spare at this price

34538967-ozH6n.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 30th Jul
Creatishh30th Jul

What is the purpose of the bike? Commuting or just around town?

Purely so I can get some exercise that ill actually be motivated to do. An hour or two a day or every other. More than a few hours on my days off. Will mainly be on roads I’d think.
Yes ,hybrid would be best for you (recreational cycling) as it gives you the option of cycling across grass , dirt roads etc whilst still being good on surfaced roads (you would struggle on a road bike ) .

Don't worry about it having a rear rack , you can buy one for £15 - £30 and they are adjustable and normally have 4 point fitting such as halfords.com/cyc…cks . are very easy to fit and you can carry a fair sized bag on them . (Halfords will fit for free if you buy a bike from them )

CRC (chain reaction cycles) are good and have been going for many years - Cycle republic are owned by Halfords so no problems there . Halfords always have a good selection on display to try and always seem to be running a 20% -30% off promotions .

Don't forget Topcashback when you buy ,there's normally 5% -10% cashback available from cycle retailers .
rogparki4 m ago

Yes ,hybrid would be best for you (recreational cycling) as it gives you …Yes ,hybrid would be best for you (recreational cycling) as it gives you the option of cycling across grass , dirt roads etc whilst still being good on surfaced roads (you would struggle on a road bike ) .Don't worry about it having a rear rack , you can buy one for £15 - £30 and they are adjustable and normally have 4 point fitting such as https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-pannier-racks . are very easy to fit and you can carry a fair sized bag on them . (Halfords will fit for free if you buy a bike from them )CRC (chain reaction cycles) are good and have been going for many years - Cycle republic are owned by Halfords so no problems there . Halfords always have a good selection on display to try and always seem to be running a 20% -30% off promotions .Don't forget Topcashback when you buy ,there's normally 5% -10% cashback available from cycle retailers .

Thanks! Between the two I’ve posted is either “better” than the other? There’s pretty much a £100 but am I getting anything more from spending the extra £100?
Would second the Gel saddle , I changed both my bikes to one - doesn't look as flash as the narrow saddles the bikes come with but much, much easier on your bum .
gaycard18 m ago

Thanks! Between the two I’ve posted is either “better” than the other? Ther …Thanks! Between the two I’ve posted is either “better” than the other? There’s pretty much a £100 but am I getting anything more from spending the extra £100?

Not an expert on the bike technicalities but I have had a Carrera Crossfire from Halfords for 4 years now with no problems . Maybe worth the extra over the Parva as it has front suspension and disc brakes . I had "slime " put in the tyres (to guard against punctures ) and fitted mudguards , a rear rack and lights (and the saddle) .
I got a boardman a good few years ago now it’s been pretty decent. My brother also got a Carrera which was as some said above really good too. Just a note about Halfords bike building though, the sell good bikes but make sure if you are getting them to build it you buy from a branch that has a good reputation in building them up. They made a complete mess of my gearing system and were not knowledgeable enough to put it right. Sometimes it’s worth getting a real shop to give them a onceover
Dannyrobbo26 m ago

I got a boardman a good few years ago now it’s been pretty decent. My b …I got a boardman a good few years ago now it’s been pretty decent. My brother also got a Carrera which was as some said above really good too. Just a note about Halfords bike building though, the sell good bikes but make sure if you are getting them to build it you buy from a branch that has a good reputation in building them up. They made a complete mess of my gearing system and were not knowledgeable enough to put it right. Sometimes it’s worth getting a real shop to give them a onceover

Thanks for the heads up!
Chain reaction appears to be in Belfast, which is rather a way from Yorkshire? Do you regularly travel to Northern Ireland?

The ones you've linked appear to be UK-style road bikes with dutch-style colours and trim. Is that the sort of look you're after or would you lean more towards full dutch? The dutch do spend a lot of money on their bikes, so if that's what you're looking at I'm not surprised they're £500-600.
Dropped your gay card
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions