Hyperoptic Broadband Alternative in London

Posted 19th Nov
Hi. I've been with Hyperoptic for nearly 2 years, and have so far been extremely impressed with their customer services and the speed of the internet etc. However, as they (Hyperoptic) are refusing to provide existing customers with the same deals as new customers (which I think is unfair), are there any other broadband companies that matches Hyperoptic? When I first joined, I was paying £22 (£19 plus £3 Anytime Calls). I'm currently paying £29 plus £3 anytime calls (£32.00) on 150mb, and was told I could get 500mb £38 (not including Anytime Calls) - or if I wanted to 150mb, it will be £41 (not including Anytime Calls) it doesn't make any sense to me why the 150mb would cost more than the 500mb I'm looking to spend no more than £25-30 per month for fast speed. Any advice would be great
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

34 Comments
The new customer thing has been covered multiple times and is the sad reality of businesses these days.

You could try and threaten to leave, and see what they say then? Or set up a new account under a partner's name instead. There are some people who would be very happy with the price you are paying.

For me though, to save £5, I'd rather not switch if everything has been working fine and have a stable connection for the last few years.
Boardman19/11/2019 10:56

The new customer thing has been covered multiple times and is the sad …The new customer thing has been covered multiple times and is the sad reality of businesses these days.You could try and threaten to leave, and see what they say then? Or set up a new account under a partner's name instead. There are some people who would be very happy with the price you are paying. For me though, to save £5, I'd rather not switch if everything has been working fine and have a stable connection for the last few years.

Yeah you're right. I am very happy with them, but I am worried about the price increase after the contract ends. Not sure if the £38 includes the £3 Anytime Calls, but I will check and find out on their Twitter page
Boardman19/11/2019 10:56

The new customer thing has been covered multiple times and is the sad …The new customer thing has been covered multiple times and is the sad reality of businesses these days.

Because that's the way to get customers. All the deal and comparison sites that influence customer choice focus on those initial discounts and the ongoing cost is often in small print or not shown at all. You only have to glance at the broadband deals here on HUKD to see that's the case.

Make the out of contract price prominent and important and ISPs will compete there, rather than focusing on new contract deals.

@sazzopardi1971 Which FTTP networks are available outside your house? I don't think Hyperoptic has anyone else using their network so unless you have an FTTP alternative or a hybrid network (Openreach G.Fast or Virgin) then nobody else can offer the same service.
Why did I read this as Homoerotic Broadband Alternative in London?
Community Fibre?
Apologies, if I may have got this wrong (brain tired)

Very confusing:

39030298-5bCQa.jpg
Conversation with CS yesterday, which was based on my current plan of broadband and phone with anytime calls:

39030298-HlpAD.jpg39030298-hnnuH.jpg
Then last response from Hyperoptic:

39030298-jWBMS.jpg
Just seen this:

https://www.g.network

VERY similar
sazzopardi197119/11/2019 14:37

Just seen this:https://www.g.networkVERY similar

150Mbps and 1Gbps do tend to be the standard packages.

There are a couple of dozen FTTP infrastructure builders operating nationally but they're all pretty small, coveraging 5% or less of the population, so it's really a case of finding out who's built in your area.

ISPReview maintain a fairly good list of ISPs offering packages at that speed:
ispreview.co.uk/isp…php:
EndlessWaves19/11/2019 16:54

150Mbps and 1Gbps do tend to be the standard packages. There are a couple …150Mbps and 1Gbps do tend to be the standard packages. There are a couple of dozen FTTP infrastructure builders operating nationally but they're all pretty small, coveraging 5% or less of the population, so it's really a case of finding out who's built in your area.ISPReview maintain a fairly good list of ISPs offering packages at that speed:https://www.ispreview.co.uk/isp_list/ISP_List_Ultrafast_Broadband.php:

Saw this one:
ispreview.co.uk/isp…345

For £25 per month. But doesn't include phone calls?

39034300-lbCZD.jpg
I'm very angry with Hyperoptic too, I already complained with several departments there and even included 2 bad (1 star) reviews on Trustpilot (which used to work)...

I recommend you to put at least one bad review on Trustpilot, check the prices that new customers are having:
hyperoptic.com/off…16/

£38 for 1 Gbps, £33 for 500mb and £23 for 150mb!!!

They refuse to give the same deals for loyal customers.

Last year I decided to leave and they gave me some discount on my bills every month, I was paying only £30 for 150mb with landline and IPV4 included...

This year I spoke with more than 5 people there, no luck, they will not offer the same deals and said I can just leave!
My experience has been similar, and personally I find their customer service rude.
I have offered to pay more money to move to their 'faster' services, but they will not put me on the rate of a new customer even though I am out of contract and would be moving to a new contract.

I actively discourage any residents in my block from moving to them.
Edited by: "tight" 20th Nov
Felipe.Lopes20/11/2019 10:11

I'm very angry with Hyperoptic too, I already complained with several …I'm very angry with Hyperoptic too, I already complained with several departments there and even included 2 bad (1 star) reviews on Trustpilot (which used to work)...I recommend you to put at least one bad review on Trustpilot, check the prices that new customers are having:hyperoptic.com/off…16/£38 for 1 Gbps, £33 for 500mb and £23 for 150mb!!!They refuse to give the same deals for loyal customers.Last year I decided to leave and they gave me some discount on my bills every month, I was paying only £30 for 150mb with landline and IPV4 included...This year I spoke with more than 5 people there, no luck, they will not offer the same deals and said I can just leave!

I am annoyed that loyal customers don't get the same deal as new customers or better. I simply cannot afford any more and my fear is that I'll end up paying over £50 on 150mb next year or the year after. It's ridiculous.
Edited by: "sazzopardi1971" 20th Nov
tight20/11/2019 10:28

My experience has been similar, and personally I find their customer …My experience has been similar, and personally I find their customer service rude.I have offered to pay more money to move to their 'faster' services, but they will not put me on the rate of a new customer even though I am out of contract and would be moving to a new contract.I actively discourage any residents in my block from moving to them.

I'm a resident in a block of flats in a housing association and was told about this nearly two years ago. I was previously with EE and their Internet speed was absolutely rubbish. Most of the time I had no internet connection! So as a last resort, ended up with Hyperoptic, because at least 70% of the residents were with Hyperoptic, so I thought I had nothing to lose. I paid £19.00 plus £3 Anytime Calls on 150mb, and the following year the price increased to £32 (which I'm currently paying now)
Hyperoptic is still the best (or top 3 in UK) and they know it... That's the problem heheheh
Felipe.Lopes20/11/2019 10:53

Hyperoptic is still the best (or top 3 in UK) and they know it... That's …Hyperoptic is still the best (or top 3 in UK) and they know it... That's the problem heheheh

I don't know whether I should take their Black Friday deal of an upgrade package to 500mb at £38 per month (plus £3 Anytime Calls)
sazzopardi197120/11/2019 11:03

I don't know whether I should take their Black Friday deal of an upgrade …I don't know whether I should take their Black Friday deal of an upgrade package to 500mb at £38 per month (plus £3 Anytime Calls)

I just contacted them, they don’t have a Black Friday deal yet, that price is the normal one. You should wait IMHO.
Felipe.Lopes20/11/2019 11:04

I just contacted them, they don’t have a Black Friday deal yet, that price …I just contacted them, they don’t have a Black Friday deal yet, that price is the normal one. You should wait IMHO.

Thanks for the heads up. How long shall I wait?
sazzopardi197120/11/2019 11:10

Thanks for the heads up. How long shall I wait?

I would wait one week at least Let's see, if I find something out will let you know here.
Felipe.Lopes20/11/2019 11:11

I would wait one week at least Let's see, if I find something out will …I would wait one week at least Let's see, if I find something out will let you know here.

Thanks!
Felipe.Lopes20/11/2019 11:11

I would wait one week at least Let's see, if I find something out will …I would wait one week at least Let's see, if I find something out will let you know here.

From Hyperoptic via Twitter

39045485-Blc4f.jpg
39045690-7rWFO.jpg
39084615-pIUK7.jpg
39084630-Li36B.jpg
Hmm.... Looks like I'll have to check every day

39086096-ZKuy6.jpg
Heheheeh
The deal is there and they just did what I would never imagine, there’s no deal at all...
sazzopardi197123/11/2019 14:40

Hmm.... Looks like I'll have to check every day [Image]

It’s there and it’s not good.
So, I was on live chat to an agent (Katarina), and asked about getting a good deal. The only deal they could offer me was a discount on the 500 Mb/s package, with the Anytime UK add on, total price would be £43.00 per month on a new 12 month agreement. I went on to say that their offer is MORE money for me to pay per month, and I simply CANNOT afford any more than what I am currently paying (£32.00). Their response: "But as far as I can see you already have a discount applied and valid on the current package until April next year."

I asked why there were no Black Friday deals for existing loyal customers, and their response was: "Because the existing customers already had a promotion assigned, and all of the new offers come with promo codes or on our website and are not applicable on existing accounts only new order set up."

So I said I may decide to leave in April 2020 when my contract is up. Their response: "If you do, just bear in mind to provide us with the 30 days notice and we will see if we have any deals for you then as well. Feel free to contact us in February and we will see if we can do anything." So I said I would like a better deal than new customers by February 2020, otherwise I will have to look elsewhere
sazzopardi197125/11/2019 11:05

So, I was on live chat to an agent (Katarina), and asked about getting a …So, I was on live chat to an agent (Katarina), and asked about getting a good deal. The only deal they could offer me was a discount on the 500 Mb/s package, with the Anytime UK add on, total price would be £43.00 per month on a new 12 month agreement. I went on to say that their offer is MORE money for me to pay per month, and I simply CANNOT afford any more than what I am currently paying (£32.00). Their response: "But as far as I can see you already have a discount applied and valid on the current package until April next year." I asked why there were no Black Friday deals for existing loyal customers, and their response was: "Because the existing customers already had a promotion assigned, and all of the new offers come with promo codes or on our website and are not applicable on existing accounts only new order set up." So I said I may decide to leave in April 2020 when my contract is up. Their response: "If you do, just bear in mind to provide us with the 30 days notice and we will see if we have any deals for you then as well. Feel free to contact us in February and we will see if we can do anything." So I said I would like a better deal than new customers by February 2020, otherwise I will have to look elsewhere

Let’s all flood their Trustpilot page with bad reviews! 1 star ones! Let’s do it!
Felipe.Lopes25/11/2019 11:07

Let’s all flood their Trustpilot page with bad reviews! 1 star ones! Let’s …Let’s all flood their Trustpilot page with bad reviews! 1 star ones! Let’s do it!

I've just seen your comment on their Trustpilot page
sazzopardi197125/11/2019 11:51

I've just seen your comment on their Trustpilot page

Did they offer you anything better?
Felipe.Lopes:

Did they offer you anything better?

Nope. I left a review on their Trustpilot page and got the same response as you. I'm not holding much hope. I'm thinking of leaving when the contract ends.

I have used ismybillfair.com to see if I could get it cheaper somewhere else, but they only cover 95% of the broadband market as they do not challenge some of the smaller providers. They recommend checking back in 2020 when they have updated their list of providers that they challenge. They said that if you are looking to switch providers they can help you with that by calling their broadband experts on 0203 925 3991. I will also be using IMBF to switch energy supplier for cheaper monthly payments.
Decided to ditch IPV4 and my landline and get the 500Mb for £39 a month on a MONTHLY rolling contract... If Three starts offering a good 5G to my area I will switch to them and pay as a business expense :)...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions