Expired

Hypothetical: One small roundabout, 4 cars arrive at the same time - all turning right - who goes first?

Found 15th Jun 2014
As above. Asked this of the missus and she said there must be a correct answer. I'm of the understanding that the first to start would break the gridlock and normal give way to the right would apply or if all 4 cars went at the same time then there won't be an accident.
Community Updates
AskCar
13 Comments
Ladies first!
Original Poster
IamMT

Ladies first!

Of course

But let's say they are all male drivers (actually quadruplets) with the exact same cars.
The one with the biggest car
you have a misses!!!!
This happens a fair bit, not so much the arriving at the same time, but maybe a driver who isn't confide or doesn't understand the give way to cars from the right rule.

I find it usually requires a quick look around the cars waiting, and often someone just to make the move to restore normality.
Original Poster
Generally there is no give way to the right rule where I live.. it's just whoever gets in first and even then if you can zoom fast enough in front without getting sideswiped then that's fair play as well.. oh and indicators are definitely optional, especially in Audis and BMWs.
TheGimp

Generally there is no give way to the right rule where I live.. it's just … Generally there is no give way to the right rule where I live.. it's just whoever gets in first and even then if you can zoom fast enough in front without getting sideswiped then that's fair play as well.. oh and indicators are definitely optional, especially in Audis and BMWs.

WHAT??? BMW's have indicators??????
On mini roundabouts one of the lanes should have a double white line. This is the lane that gives way to the right first in such situations
gr8t1

On mini roundabouts one of the lanes should have a double white line. … On mini roundabouts one of the lanes should have a double white line. This is the lane that gives way to the right first in such situations

Unless you have a car at each exit - and you are all giving way to each other.... stalemate
Roundabout rules though! The first point is of course, you must give way to any traffic on the round about.

After that, you can only enter the roundabout if your exit is clear. One of there exit may not be clear, there might be pedestrians crossing and you would need to give way to them as you turn.

Only after that do you even consider going and giving way to traffic coming from the right.

But logically, anyone could go b/c no one would be on the roundabout once someone went in turn they would need to yield and one exit would not be clear leaving the next car a clear route?
whatsThePoint

the competent driver goes first

This.
I stop and give way. If they go, they go. If they hesitate, I go.
Me.
If you snooze, you lose!
Love it. This happens to me so much and it's like a Mexican stand off with cars....
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants