I am a jeans & t-shirt man, and also being a man i have let it to the last minute to sort something to wear for a wedding on Saturday, please help me ?

Kinda left it and left it thinking its ok its not till mid August and now August is here! What is acceptable to wear to a wedding except a suit. I have a suit that i dig out once every few years that i wear for funerals and wedding but i look like something out of talking heads.

Obviously Trousers & shoes are a must! Now is just a SS shirt or long sleeved shirt expectable and is a tie a must?

Im getting a panic on now if i am honest, i hate shopping for smart clothes i really do!

Where can i buy a nice shirt from on the high street?

14 Comments

Are you attending the actual wedding or the reception,or both?

I don't suit suits and they make me feel uncomfortable. I usually go to weddings in smart jacket, trousers and shirt. I think you can get away with smart clothes, but definetly not a t'shirt and jeans.

Original Poster

both ! If i had my way i would turn up in a pair of Havaianas , shorts and a t-****!

was at a wedding just two weeks ago and not everyone was wearing suits-as long as you are smart thats all that matters. I would only ever wear a suit to a funeral-I just dont like them.

depending whose wedding it is, if its a family wedding, I would make the effort of the suit, unless they have stated a dress code. But if friend or an aquaintance, I cant see why you can wear a smart pair of jeans/trousers, t shirt/shirt and a plain jacket. by jacket, I mean smart but casual. Not anorak, bomber or any style like this. If its a jacket you are not used to, you can always take it off sometime during the reception anyway. Have a good time!

Original Poster

Im warming to scraping the suit! I thought it was just me who hated them and felt a t*t!

Banned

What have men become when they don't even know what to wear for a formal occasion?

No you can't wear jeans, no you don't wear a short sleeve shirt and when you have a poo you don't scoop it with your hand and fling it like a monkey in the zoo.

Go to a tailors, apologise for your lack of manners, hope they take pity on you and help you dress like a grown-up.

FilthAndFurry

What have men become when they don't even know what to wear for a formal … What have men become when they don't even know what to wear for a formal occasion?No you can't wear jeans, no you don't wear a short sleeve shirt and when you have a poo you don't scoop it with your hand and fling it like a monkey in the zoo.If only rep was still going....brillinat but so true.Go to a tailors, apologise for your lack of manners, hope they take pity on you and help you dress like a grown-up.

If only rep was still going.....brilliant, but so true.
Edited by: "greg_68" 12th Aug 2010

Original Poster

[quote=FilthAndFurry]What have men become when they don't even know what to wear for a formal occasion?

No you can't wear jeans, no you don't wear a short sleeve shirt and when you have a poo you don't scoop it with your hand and fling it like a monkey in the zoo.

Go to a tailors, apologise for your lack of manners, hope they take pity on you and help you dress like a grown-up.[/quote

If you can afford to go to tailors for a suit you would wear once a year like i would then you obviously have far more of a disposable income than me! Cheers for comment tho as helpful as it is. Just because a man likes to dress in a pair of jeans and t-shirt or a pair or flipflops and shorts doesn't making him Darwin's "missing link". So as much as i am sure i would look incredibly handsome in a Savile row bespoke suit it isnt going to happen anytime soon!

Bargaintastic30

Just because a man likes to dress in a pair of jeans and t-shirt or a … Just because a man likes to dress in a pair of jeans and t-shirt or a pair or flipflops and shorts doesn't making him Darwin's "missing link".

Lol

Why not try Next or Topman for a relatively smart suit but inexpensive - then you will always have "the suit" to wear to any other function (weddings or funerals etc). You can mix and match the length of trousers and jacket fit as well there and it won't cost a fortune. It would be an investment as you're probably going to get invited to a lot more weddings now you're maturing and you'll be in teh same boat again!

You can always take the jacket off as soon as you arrive at the reception as I'm sure a few others will too.

If you're not a shirt wearer naturally, you'll be uncomfortable, and it'll be obvious. You sound the same as my husband. I'd suggest you wear a nice, new short sleeved shirt (next/topman/m&s), with a nice but not bold tie. Try pink (seriously). Black trousers are sometimes severe, especially if you never wear them, and aren't used to them. Try a nice, new pair of black camo type trousers, or a particularly nice pair of jeans. Unless you're a member of the bridal party no one will give a monkeys what you're wearing. Will you be appearing in any of the proper photos? If you are, then go with the black trousers, if not, just be posh casual (expensive shirt and jeans, not smartprice). And for heavens sake be comfortable. My husband looks a freak in a posh suit or tie, so I'd rather he was with me comfy and as clean and tidy as I can make him, than him be wanting to escap because he feels overdresssed.

Whilst i don't think a suit is necessary, I do think a smart jacket and tie is. You have been invited to a wedding and in my view you need to make the effort. I am sure somewhere like Topman would do a decent Jacket. If the wedding is in a church I really think a tie would be appropriate as well. you could always take that off afterwards.
At least once they're bought you will have them for the future as you may need something for a last minute work thing etc.
Have a good time.

Banned

http://a0.vox.com/6a00bf76c6db6b954a00fa969dbfc00003-500pi
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17366130
    2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4661374
    3. Walnut snip: Nestlé cuts nut out of chocolate after prices surge - The Guar…1011
    4. Baby boxes to be sent to new parents in Scotland from Tuesday!1420

See more discussions