I am after some electrical advice

Found 28th Nov 2017
I am a complete novice when it comes to electrics which is why I do not touch them when doing any kind of DIY work but I am trying to install some LED light strips at home and don't have the means of linking them up to the main wiring in the home so I have to plug them in.

They will be running under the my kitchen units which means that all cabling will be hidden under the units but it is how I connect them up in that is the problem as there is only one socket and I have 3 LED strips to plug in so this is my plan.

The one socket behind the units is where the hob is connected. It is a gas hob with the only electric being required for the spark (I assume) so I am assuming that draws down very little and only when actually being used.

So my plan was this - to add a this to the main socket - amazon.co.uk/pro…G19

Then I will plug the hob into one of the sockets.

Into one of the remaining sockets I wanted to add a smart wifi plug and then into that an extension cable where I would then plug in the remaining three LED strips - they have an input voltage of 12v DC and a Power of 2A 24w each.

My plan is to put the LED lighting (via the extension cable) on a timer so it is in only on when we are in the house which means that the hob and the LED lighting will be off for the majority of the day.

Is there anyone on here who can provide me with some assistance regarding whether I would overload the main socket?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
No problem with what you are proposing.

Socket will be on the ring main or a spur and is rated for 13A - so P=VI = 230x13 = 2990W

Cooker demand for perhaps a clock and igniter will be neglible, but as will be rated as 3A assume, P=230x3 = 690W

So you have a remaining capacity of 2300W to power your LEDs......

LED lighting - assume you fit the full 5m on each length, (2x24) =72W

So in summary no problem at all - very little power demand on the socket.

Have a think about getting one of these - banggood.com/SON…=CN - you can use it as a timer but also control it via a phone app to switch on/off whenever you want. Can also control it with Amazon Echo/Dot devices - saying "Alexa, lights on/off". Lot more flexible than a standard plug in timer.
Edited by: "Van1973" 28th Nov 2017
Hi,

That is magic, exactly what I was looking for! I have an Amazon Echo and have ordered a wifi adaptor to use as way of timing it and having greater control over it.
I am assuming that from what you say about using the full strip that if you use less of the strip the usage is less. I will be trimming all three strips down so it will be less but even then, as you say there is very little power demand.

Thanks!
Edited by: "brettytopbanana" 28th Nov 2017
Yep - as you shorten the strip the actual power pulled from the power supply will decline. 24W is the rating of the power supply but the actual usage will be lower.

Did mine last year - still working. Were on remote controlled sockets at first - now controlled by Alexa. Got them under the wall units and on top of them - gives the room a nice effect.

Good luck!
ah great stuff. I look forward to installing them tonight. Thanks for you help!
Those on bang good look decent, I'll check those out, thanks
ChrisUK2 h, 21 m ago

Those on bang good look decent, I'll check those out, thanks

Have a look at the whole range of Sonoff kit - all controllable by the same app (as well as Alexa/Google Home). For the rest of the kit you generally need to wire them in-line, just the S20 and the bulb adapter which are plug-ins.

banggood.com/sea…tml

I should be on commission the number of times I've recommended this stuff!
bloody hell that looks like some awesome stuff! I particularly like the glass panel!
brettytopbanana9 h, 8 m ago

Hi,That is magic, exactly what I was looking for! I have an Amazon Echo …Hi,That is magic, exactly what I was looking for! I have an Amazon Echo and have ordered a wife adaptor to use as way of timing it and having greater control over it.

wife adaptor?

That's not your hand is it? or maybe one of those special toys and you've connected it to Amazon Echo.... so Alexa is talking dirty?

Vid or you are lying

ps I wouldn't post the video here...just pm me
Edited by: "philphil61" 28th Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants