Groups

I am buying an Xbox for my son but dont know what to look for?

My son has asked for either a PS3 or an Xbox 360 for Christmas, after great debate, I think I want to go for the Xbox, but there are so many different types, that I am confused. So can anyone steer me in the right direction or give me a beginners guide to buying the 360? Please!

55 Comments

Will he be playing it online? i would get the xbox 360 60gb Premium at £169.99. or look for a deal with a couple of games.

He'll be fine with a Xbox 360 Arcade

Banned

Robotochan;3039690

He'll be fine with a Xbox 360 Arcade

agreed...IF you dont intend to go online with it..

Cheapest yet:
    hotukdeals.com/for…605
    £102.95 or with Quidco £96.78!

i think you should steer away from the xbox and move in the direction of the ps3!

Banned

nkje02;3039725

i think you should steer away from the xbox and move in the direction of … i think you should steer away from the xbox and move in the direction of the ps3!

depends what OP's son wants....

if its just for games then 360 wins hands down

ODB_69;3039732

depends what OP's son wants....if its just for games then 360 wins hands … depends what OP's son wants....if its just for games then 360 wins hands down

Spot on. Need to know what the OP's son plans to do with it

I would say that you should be looking at a 360 with a HDD. If you have an internet connection at home it means even without paying for the yearly LIVE internet gaming service he can still download demos, updates, videos and arcade games and also any expansion packs available for his games

ODB_69;3039732

depends what OP's son wants....if its just for games then 360 wins hands … depends what OP's son wants....if its just for games then 360 wins hands down

im hoping more will be available for the ps3 in the future tho.. cos surely there will be. and hopefully by then it will be cheaper too.. not that i want one or anything. :whistling:

i would go with the 360, but as the OP already states, the 360 is the chosen console already.

i dont know everything about it, so i cant help too much.. but good luck getting your bargain kidcat :thumbsup:

ODB_69;3039732

ive got both and ps3 wins hand down for me, xbox has had that many problems since weve had it and the ps3 has not a single problem with it, all games on 360 you can get on ps3, for the extra bit of money i think its worth getting a ps3 rather than a 360!

I have an Xbox360 and would reccomend it. Again it depends on the OP's son what he wants to play. It would be a shame to have the console and not be able to play online. Thats were the fun is.

Banned

nkje02;3039762

ive got both and ps3 wins hand down for me, xbox has had that many … ive got both and ps3 wins hand down for me, xbox has had that many problems since weve had it and the ps3 has not a single problem with it, all games on 360 you can get on ps3, for the extra bit of money i think its worth getting a ps3 rather than a 360!

wrong...not all games can be got on PS3 just like not all games can be got on 360 ...the exclusive games are far better on the 360and everyone I know who has a console agree that 360 is the better games console

PS3 is an entertainment unit more than a games console and needs a better amount of games esp good exclusives

I have had zero probs with my 360 whilst my mate has had to replace the PS3 twice now...

dont get me wrong I'm not a fan boy as I actually want a PS3, but I see no point when there is no benefit other than blu-ray to pay much more money for games that in some cases dont actually look as good as they do on 360...when the price drops a little and the games get better I will get one and probs run both but at the time being there is no point and I cant see this happening for at least 18 months....

If its purely for games then the OP is better with the 360, if OP wants an entertainment unit for their son then 360 is better but what is the likelihood OP's son will be able to afford to buy Blu-rays out of their pocket money?

Also...XBL is better than 360, everyone who has taken it online agrees with that....

You'll never get a proper opinion here, everyone has their own personal favourites. Personally I own both and would go for the 360. Games are better, online service is much better, new dashboard is about to launch which will transform it. I would get a hardrive though because the new dashboard lets you copy the games to the hardrive so you can play them straight from the drive.

SunTzu;3039833

You'll never get a proper opinion here, everyone has their own personal … You'll never get a proper opinion here, everyone has their own personal favourites. Personally I own both and would go for the 360. Games are better, online service is much better, new dashboard is about to launch which will transform it.

thats cos it is each to their own.

dont suppose you know when the new dashboard is being implemented?.. cos ive not heard anything.

Banned

MissRoo;3039865

thats cos it is each to their own.dont suppose you know when the new … thats cos it is each to their own.dont suppose you know when the new dashboard is being implemented?.. cos ive not heard anything.

if you look at 'whats new' its on 1 of the pages there...about 2 weeks I think..cant remember

ODB_69;3039879

if you look at 'whats new' its on 1 of the pages there...about 2 weeks I … if you look at 'whats new' its on 1 of the pages there...about 2 weeks I think..cant remember

was on xbox.com cant see anything.. just remember finding it all out a while back now.. but soon you say.. interesting, not sure i will love it tho. we'll see i guess. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Wow, I went to make lunch and came back to find all these posts. I expect he will use it online (maybe not straight away hes only 10) its only really for gaming,

m18gfc;3039950

Can you play this one … Can you play this one online;http://www.marshallward.co.uk/rf/mar/navigation/product.do?Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&SNtt=xbox+360+arcade&groupId=501237983&Nu=this_product&SNtk=littlewoods_search&Np=1&SN=85+102&Ntt=501237983&D=501237983&Ntk=group_search&Dx=mode%2bmatchall&thisprod=5would love it for Halo 3!

I'm sure you can play any 360 online, yo'll just need to buy the wireless adapter?
    I started with a core (just the 360 and a controller) and only bought the hd after about 3-4months of playing(online and off).

Banned

m18gfc;3039950

Can you play this one … Can you play this one online;http://www.marshallward.co.uk/rf/mar/navigation/product.do?Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&SNtt=xbox+360+arcade&groupId=501237983&Nu=this_product&SNtk=littlewoods_search&Np=1&SN=85+102&Ntt=501237983&D=501237983&Ntk=group_search&Dx=mode%2bmatchall&thisprod=5would love it for Halo 3!

You would nee HDD for online so you may be able to pick up a 20gb HDD cheap seperately and save yourself a few quid rather than get the new 60gb :thumbsup:

I would get the Xbox elite, It's a bit more expensive but comes with a build in memory.
    If you buy the arcade you'll have to buy memory cards and I found that the original Xbox had a lot of glitches in it.

Banned

stratomaster;3039987

I'm sure you can play any 360 online, yo'll just need to buy the wireless … I'm sure you can play any 360 online, yo'll just need to buy the wireless adapter?

Optional, comes supplied wth Ethernet cable which you can use in back of router, or even back of PC rather than spend £50 on the wireless adapter

Original Poster

play.com/Gam…tml

play.com/Gam…tml

The top one is an elite which has a 120gb HDD and the other is a premium with 60gb, apart from the HDD size I cant see any real differance, am I right?
    Can I buy a bigger HDD later on? Would it have to be specifically an XBox HDD or will any do?

Banned

kidcat;3040098

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/3356849/Xbox-360-Elite-Console/Product.htmlhttp://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/6279139/Xbox-360-Premium-Console-with-60GB-HDD/Product.htmlThe top one is an elite which has a 120gb HDD and the other is a premium with 60gb, apart from the HDD size I cant see any real differance, am I right?Can I buy a bigger HDD later on? Would it have to be specifically an XBox HDD or will any do?

Diff between the 2 is that Elite is black, comes with a HD cable and has 120gb hard drive...thats it!

HDD can be changed later but you would need a data transfer kit to import all the data to new HDD...

60gb is the newest model...it replaces the standard premium model of 20gb, 60gb came out about 2 weeks ago, so its the latest out of the lot so would probs be the safest kit to go with...

Cheapest would be to get the one I linked and buy a 20GB HDD for around £30, so your basically getting an original premium for the same price as an arcade!

I have the 20gb and to be honest I dont see the need for anything higher, I probs wont download games to the hard drive as i dont see the point really and unless your son intends to download movies, add ons, games etc (which all cost!) from XBL then there is no point in a bigger hard drive...also dont forget XBL is not free unlike the PS3 and cheapest you can get it is about £25 for 13 months....

If you have a wireless router OP then you son can stream any downloads from PC to 360 and watch them that way too

Original Poster

Brilliant thanks, one last thing, can anyone recommend any games for it? He is only 10.

Banned

kidcat;3040285

Brilliant thanks, one last thing, can anyone recommend any games for … Brilliant thanks, one last thing, can anyone recommend any games for it? He is only 10.

if hes allowed to play games with guns then its all about Call of Duty 4, ESPECIALLY if hes online with it...

plenty of racing games out there too

best to have a look on here and lok at reviews etc:
    play.com/Gam…tml

ODB_69;3040188

Diff between the 2 is that Elite is black, comes with a HD cable and has … Diff between the 2 is that Elite is black, comes with a HD cable and has 120gb hard drive...thats it!HDD can be changed later but you would need a data transfer kit to import all the data to new HDD...60gb is the newest model...it replaces the standard premium model of 20gb, 60gb came out about 2 weeks ago, so its the latest out of the lot so would probs be the safest kit to go with...Cheapest would be to get the one I linked and buy a 20GB HDD for around £30, so your basically getting an original premium for the same price as an arcade!I have the 20gb and to be honest I dont see the need for anything higher, I probs wont download games to the hard drive as i dont see the point really and unless your son intends to download movies, add ons, games etc (which all cost!) from XBL then there is no point in a bigger hard drive...also dont forget XBL is not free unlike the PS3 and cheapest you can get it is about £25 for 13 months....If you have a wireless router OP then you son can stream any downloads from PC to 360 and watch them that way too

Quicker Load times
    noise reduction
    No chance of games becoming unplayable due to scratches
    My favourite (you don't have to get of your a**e to change games)

I'm with you mate on all the rest of the points. I have a 20g and I think that this is ample for my needs :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Thanks guys, you have made my life much easier when I have to explain wht I have bought to my husband. I stand a chance of looking like I know what I am talking about.
    Thanks kemo for the remark about the games getting scratched, with two little uns around games do get damaged so it may be worth me getting the bigger HDD to keep the games safe.

kidcat;3040369

Thanks guys, you have made my life much easier when I have to explain wht … Thanks guys, you have made my life much easier when I have to explain wht I have bought to my husband. I stand a chance of looking like I know what I am talking about. :)Thanks kemo for the remark about the games getting scratched, with two little uns around games do get damaged so it may be worth me getting the bigger HDD to keep the games safe.

I've had to duplicate that many games this year Kidcat as my little 2y/o loves to polish the floor with disks :w00t:

Original Poster

kemo;3040395

I've had to duplicate that many games this year Kidcat as my little 2y/o … I've had to duplicate that many games this year Kidcat as my little 2y/o loves to pollish the floor with disks :w00t:

Just the floor? :whistling: My four year old thinks that they sit in the toaster, one has been microwaved, (replacement cost £90 - £30 game £60 microwave) the two year old thinks they need nail varnish and sparkly glitter adding ( possibly my fault- it was a craft activity with old CDs at Playgroup, it seemed a good idea at the time! :oops:) and my favourite is the cleaning the toilet with them, (boy did the plumber like that one!) Kids are possibly the most dangerous thing you can do! :-D

kidcat;3040439

Just the floor? :whistling: My four year old thinks that they sit in … Just the floor? :whistling: My four year old thinks that they sit in the toaster, one has been microwaved, (replacement cost £90 - £30 game £60 microwave) the two year old thinks they need nail varnish and sparkly glitter adding ( possibly my fault- it was a craft activity with old CDs at Playgroup, it seemed a good idea at the time! :oops:) and my favourite is the cleaning the toilet with them, (boy did the plumber like that one!) Kids are possibly the most dangerous thing you can do! :-D

And I thought I got it hard :w00t:

what sort of games would they usually go for/are allowed to play...some of the top games released so far (in no particular order):
    1. Gears of war
    2. Halo 3
    3. Call of duty 4
    5. The orange box
    6. Grand theft auto 4
    7. Mass effect
    8. Oblivion
    9. Bioshock

However a lot of these might be for more mature teens to play, i suppose it's up to you really.
    If the are deemed to old then theres still all of the Viva pinata's, lego star wars/indianna jones, guitar hero's as well.

Banned

kemo;3040326

Quicker Load timesnoise reductionNo chance of games becoming unplayable … Quicker Load timesnoise reductionNo chance of games becoming unplayable due to scratchesMy favourite (you don't have to get of your a**e to change games)I'm with you mate on all the rest of the points. I have a 20g and I think that this is ample for my needs :thumbsup:

Yh spose but loading times will be minimal and I look after all my optical media obsessively so wont matter to me...

changing the games....

never thought of that...

might have to upgrade :whistling:

Banned

the dandy p;3040550

what sort of games would they usually go for/are allowed to play...some … what sort of games would they usually go for/are allowed to play...some of the top games released so far (in no particular order):1. Gears of war2. Halo 33. Call of duty 45. The orange box6. Grand theft auto 47. Mass effect8. Oblivion9. BioshockHowever a lot of these might be for more mature teens to play, i suppose it's up to you really.If the are deemed to old then theres still all of the Viva pinata's, lego star wars/indianna jones, guitar hero's as well.

Bold ones DEFO unsuitable for young kids...but good point about Lego games PLUS Lego Batman out soon!

My 6y/o is mad about the Lego adventures. He has had the star wars and the indiana jones saga's, now he is waiting for the Batman saga.

Original Poster

Lego Batman will be one he def wants, had forgotten about Guitar hero, hes going mad for a guitar so that may be a good compromise! Indiana Jones should be a hit too! At this rate his Christmas shopping will be sorted before Oct.:santa: One down three to go! :-D

Banned

kidcat;3040648

Lego Batman will be one he def wants, had forgotten about Guitar hero, … Lego Batman will be one he def wants, had forgotten about Guitar hero, hes going mad for a guitar so that may be a good compromise! Indiana Jones should be a hit too! At this rate his Christmas shopping will be sorted before Oct.:santa: One down three to go! :-D

Keep your eye out for best price, poss go down now Wrold Tour version released...

best at mo:
    find-dvd.co.uk/vid…ZS6
    but poss cheaper instore at supermarkets :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Wish I had looked at the games in the Morrissons deal a couple of weeks ago. Never mind I can keep looking round and snap up the bargains as I see them.

Games wise. for a 10yr old I'd say the Lego games, Scene it, Guitar Hero, Naruto: Rise of a Ninja (although even that's really recommended for 12+).....and to be honest that's pretty much it, 360 is very much a teen+ machine. I wouldn't personally let a 10yr old anywhere near the likes of Grand Theft Auto, Gears of War, Bioshock etc.

Original Poster

megalomaniac;3040719

Games wise. for a 10yr old I'd say the Lego games, Scene it, Guitar Hero, … Games wise. for a 10yr old I'd say the Lego games, Scene it, Guitar Hero, Naruto: Rise of a Ninja (although even that's really recommended for 12+).....and to be honest that's pretty much it, 360 is very much a teen+ machine. I wouldn't personally let a 10yr old anywhere near the likes of Grand Theft Auto, Gears of War, Bioshock etc.

I plan on getting him two/three games for Xmas max. Then he can use any gift money and his birthday to buy a few more. Have learnt that if you give kids too many games at once, none of them really get played. But I usually stick pretty well to the age limits on games, (which doesnt make me popular) so will be avoiding the violent stuff. Thanks,

kidcat;3040749

I plan on getting him two/three games for Xmas max. Then he can use any … I plan on getting him two/three games for Xmas max. Then he can use any gift money and his birthday to buy a few more. Have learnt that if you give kids too many games at once, none of them really get played. But I usually stick pretty well to the age limits on games, (which doesnt make me popular) so will be avoiding the violent stuff. Thanks,

Football always goes down well with boys too, so there's always the old safe bets like Pro Evolution Soccer and FIFA.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.22
      2. One for the mathmeticians1931
      3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1891352
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767425

See more discussions