I am hoping to sound you good people out about an idea...

Found 18th Aug 2017
I have just had to cancel an operation at a hospital because there is no one to take me home. I would have to take sedatory drugs, which will make me 'woozy'.

It makes me think that I can't be on my own here. (The irony does not escape me.)

What about some sort of network that would offer a lift home for someone like me? An app/link or whatever where you offer a lift to someone.

I would happily volunteer some time to collect a person and make sure they got home ok.

Yes, it's called a Taxi, but I was told 'we wouldn't let you get in a Taxi.'

Maybe, it would be possible to have a network that you could pre book a safe lift home, from trusted people. Just for people on their own.

Is this a simplistic and daft idea?
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Sounds like a good idea, I've seen signs at my local hospital for something similar although aimed at older people. I do wonder though, what the difference would be between a taxi and someone running you home. I presume the taxi idea wasn't allowed as the taxi would probably just drop you at the kerb, and they want to make sure you get inside and settled down (like friends/family would), so your idea may involve a little more than just driving people home.
i was told when i took my dad to hospital that someone had come in for an operation but he had no family or friends to come and collect him so he had to ask on facebook and some kind soul offered to do so. it brings home the fact that there are a lot of people living alone in this country without friends and family close by.

hospitals should organise volunteer service for people to volunteer to take people to and back from hospital. the patient would pay for transport but they offer their time for free. i would certainly volunteer to do this and i am sure there will be others who will also do so, especially if they are on their own and will use the volunteer service themselves. it is also a good way for them to make friends.
In cornwall there are 3 or more hospital car charity services. You pay a nominal fee.
I had to have a tooth out at the dental hospital once and they wouldn't let me go home alone. I had to call my husband who took about 30 minutes to arrive and then took me home via his office storeroom to look for a torch, then to the student common room to collect his students then half way across campus to set up a practical. I would've been quicker walking. I'm all for your new service
While my son was on dialysis at our local hospital, i found out that many old people that were dialysing there had to rely on transportation. It could be an ambulance or a taxi. Sometimes they had to wait up to an hour after their session, bearing in mind that a session is around 4hrs +, and after a session believe me that the last thing you want to do is wait, you just want to get home. Anyway, I offered to take someone once in a while, but was told that it was not possible for insurance reason, and I guess health and safety. That is something you will have to look into in my opinion
There are many "community transport" services around the country. Search online for your area.
Alternatively, try your local Red Cross.
Hope this helps...
Original Poster
jeannot1818th Aug

While my son was on dialysis at our local hospital, i found out that many …While my son was on dialysis at our local hospital, i found out that many old people that were dialysing there had to rely on transportation. It could be an ambulance or a taxi. Sometimes they had to wait up to an hour after their session, bearing in mind that a session is around 4hrs +, and after a session believe me that the last thing you want to do is wait, you just want to get home. Anyway, I offered to take someone once in a while, but was told that it was not possible for insurance reason, and I guess health and safety. That is something you will have to look into in my opinion

Thank you for the reply and please accept my apologies for not replying sooner. It is primarily because I have been spending some time investigating various options. It turns out I was being rather simplistic, as the insurance, h+s red tape makes it far beyond my means. It's such a shame as many people, see above for instance, have offered their time if I found a way.
Original Poster
pooool19th Aug

There are many "community transport" services around the country. Search …There are many "community transport" services around the country. Search online for your area.Alternatively, try your local Red Cross.Hope this helps...

Thanks Pooool. Much appreciated.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants