I am looking for a suggestion on purchasing MacBook Air 2017

Found 26th Jun
MACBOOK AIR (13-INCH, 2017) entry level model 8GB and 120SSD
is available for £500.

May I ask, Is this a good investment that can last for at the very least 5 years?

We were hoping to amortise the cost over 7 years but worried about the longivity of the technology within.
Not fussy about the display but battery, keyboard and overall iPhone integration is important though!

Usage: Home use. Web browsing, heavy Microsoft excel usage, occasional
YouTube and other video streaming services either on the laptop itself
or to an external HD monitor.
Community Updates
AskComputersLaptop
7 Comments
You need a bigger ssd straight away
kester761 h, 22 m ago

You need a bigger ssd straight away

Not really... to stream stuff and browse the web you don't need lots of onboard storage.

I have the same storage on my MacBook Pro, have a similar usage pattern and I have a 1TB external hard drive to game on the Windows partition on the same 120SSD. I can also save pictures, videos etc. on it.

I don't save much stuff on it and the amount of storage suits me fine.

Have had it for a year and I have 30GB left on the SSD. If I got rid of the Windows partition I'd have 40GB more free.
Edited by: "hearts22" 26th Jun
hearts221 h, 2 m ago

Not really... to stream stuff and browse the web you don't need lots of …Not really... to stream stuff and browse the web you don't need lots of onboard storage. I have the same storage on my MacBook Pro, have a similar usage pattern and I have a 1TB external hard drive to game on the Windows partition on the same 120SSD. I can also save pictures, videos etc. on it. I don't save much stuff on it and the amount of storage suits me fine.Have had it for a year and I have 30GB left on the SSD. If I got rid of the Windows partition I'd have 40GB more free.

A bit hokey buying an ultraslim and plugging an external into it but I guess if you don't lug it around that often then it isn't an inconvenience.
Thank you both of yous!
i have a 2013 MBA with 128gb and 4gb of ram, it works great and frankly the only issue is small amount of ram (now every MBA has 8gb(.
I have upgraded my SSD to 512 and it works great but ram would be my main concern
If you have to have that level of portability then go for it. If your budget allows, then it might be worth seeing if you can track down a MacBook Pro of the same age as you get a bit more for your money and a much better screen. That said, for £500 you won't get much better than that price.

My wife had a MacBook Air bought in 2009 and we only got rid of it this year. It had started to slow down a bit and the battery had been replaced once, but it still all worked, we only upgraded as there was a good deal on a MacBook Pro.
Cakeboy799 h, 7 m ago

If you have to have that level of portability then go for it. If your …If you have to have that level of portability then go for it. If your budget allows, then it might be worth seeing if you can track down a MacBook Pro of the same age as you get a bit more for your money and a much better screen. That said, for £500 you won't get much better than that price.My wife had a MacBook Air bought in 2009 and we only got rid of it this year. It had started to slow down a bit and the battery had been replaced once, but it still all worked, we only upgraded as there was a good deal on a MacBook Pro.

Thank you for the insight.

In the end, went for a MacBook Air 2015 (8GB) for £300 with 250 battery cycles which is using same generation processor as 2017 one!
Mind you they haven’t shipped yet and I am starting to doubt they will. Lovely sweet talks were exchanged though.
Edited by: "xtreemneo" 27th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants