Groups

I AM SO MAD!!!!

I purchased a 17inch Dell Inspirion laptop CPW last year (Oct 2009). I have had numerous problems with it. The laptop was sent off for repair soon after I purchased it. I received the laptop back however it has now developed another fault - it wont charge and also it keeps crashing three or 4 times a day. I took it into a CPW branch on 16.07.2010. I had a call today from CPW repairs warehouse saying my laptop has been lost by Dell and I have the option of a new laptop (15 inch) or a voucher for CPW. I do not want either of these options. I want my 17" laptop back repaired OR a refund.

I am soooooooooooo mad! Have sent an email to their CEO office - so hopefully they will sort it out.

20 Comments

Banned

i think they have to offer you the same spec, so demand a 17in laptop with same spec or better

You wont get a refund, however you are entitled to a voucher or another laptop equivelant to the spec of the original model if the original model isnt available anymore new.

And compensation for your irreplaceable data !

I know, but if you make a fuss you are more likley to get better compinsation, i.e. a better laptop

karenhornby

You wont get a refund, however you are entitled to a voucher or another … You wont get a refund, however you are entitled to a voucher or another laptop equivelant to the spec of the original model if the original model isnt available anymore new.

+1

far too long has elapsed for you to get a refund

Original Poster

I want a 17" - not gona accept a voucher for £329 (what I paid) as they dont sell any laptops same size and even a 15" one costs more. I have lost my programmes such as Microsoft Office 2007

A 15" is not the same spec as a 17" and I will only accept a 17"

Banned

isnt its dells repsonsibility to replace as it is them that has lost it, errm prob giving cpw a wad more than they are offering you

Original Poster

Its CPW who I have a contract with so they are the ones who need to replace it - will never buy from CPW again

Banned

yes i know your contract is with cpw, but it will be dell who is giving to cpw as it is their responsibilty if they have lost it, or maybe cpw have lost it rather than dell

Original Poster

Yeh maybe, CPW are useless....Ahhhhhh!!! I miss my laptop - it was a bargain when I got it, so would not get the same elsewhere

Banned

i would contact trading standards its only a phone call, and find out exactly where you stand, then you can go to them armed with knowing what you can push for
    Edited by: "sassie" 12th Aug 2010

who is cpw

Original Poster

car phone warehouse - Thanks Sassie I will contact them

be careful not to push them too hard, they could offer and possibly get away with a lot less.

Original Poster

I knew Dell were rubbish....would NEVER buy from them again

Banned

bargainhunter2009

I want a 17" - not gona accept a voucher for £329 (what I paid) as they … I want a 17" - not gona accept a voucher for £329 (what I paid) as they dont sell any laptops same size and even a 15" one costs more. I have lost my programmes such as Microsoft Office 2007A 15" is not the same spec as a 17" and I will only accept a 17"

Not really sure how you have lost office, just reinstal it on a new laptop from the original disks?

You need to push for the same spec. Remember this isn't a warranty repair anymore its a replacement they lost. I would claim for lost data too.

Keep at them for similar or higher spec...

Just out of interest, how would you have lost Office 2007? You should have the installation discs if this is something you purchased . If it's something that was bundled with the Laptop, then that is part of the specification which you should be aiming for.

I sympathise completely, i had a similar problem with an Asus netbook recently from Staples.
    Couldnt repair, offered me lesser spec machine, then another, which i wasnt interested in. Opted for a refund which Asus put in process and am still waiting on Staples getting back to me, but heard nothing as yet.
    Same as you, i got a bargain at the time and wont get another for the same price - it sucks !

Really hope you get it sorted.

If the problems arose soon after purchase, you could argue that it was faulty straight from the box and as such you've never had the opportunity to use the item to its full extent therefore breaching the sale of goods act as the item wasnt fit for purpose at the point of sale.

State as nicely as possible that you have been very accomodating up until now and that although you appreciate the offer, you are not willing to accept a model with lesser specification than the one you purchased and that credit isnt suitable as they dont stock a similar model.

If paid for via credit card you may also be able to reclaim the transaction amount from your card provider by sending a letter stating the problems.

some info i got from trading standards when dealing with my own case...

Where goods or services have been paid for using a form of credit, i.e. a credit card or a credit agreement arranged by the trader, you may have an equal liability claim against the credit firm under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 provided the purchase amount is over £100.
    This means you are able to seek the same redress from the credit card company as the retailer.
    In addition to writing to the trader you should send the credit company a letter recorded delivery outlining the problems you have experienced and giving a deadline for the same resolution as requested from the trader within a set period of time (i.e. 14 days).

bargainhunter2009

I knew Dell were rubbish....would NEVER buy from them again

This will not be dell's fault as you purchased from CPW and they have lost it when they sent it to Dell. They would blame Dell as they are trying to pass the buck. I have purchased from dell on various occasions without any problems. CPW are carp.
    Sale of Goods Act you are entitled to like for like irrespective of cost.

Edited by: "markvirgo" 13th Aug 2010

Original Poster

Thanks Mark
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?2291
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764159
      3. Sad news about Barcelona2395
      4. Any Xbox One news today?2356125

See more discussions