I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!

Found 17th Aug 2017
As the title says. I love this site and have been a member for a long time, however I needed to clear some debt and when I was reviewing my last 3months bank statements to see where I could save some cash I noticed I was buying a lot of stuff I might not need.

Well after a few hours of spreadsheets and cross references to this site...

Over the 3 months I spent on average per month:
£180 @ Amazon
£80 @ eBay
£80 @ other retailers

So I signed out, removed myself from the WhatsApp group, spammed the daily email and deleted the app from my phone.

I've now cleared my debt but was wondering has anyone else ever totaled their average monthly spend because of this site?

TLDR; Didn't use HUKD for 3months saved about £1k
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
you are pretty stupid if you buy stuff just for the sake of it being cheaper than usual
Hard to disagree with that
try some self control ?
Well done.

Why are you back?
I have a different saving method. Every time I think about buying some crap I don't need from HUKD, I put that amount of money into my savings instead. A bit like a swear jar, but a crap buying jar.

Paid for my PS4 Pro and didn't have to quit HUKD either (more's the pity).
Edited by: "MSK." 17th Aug 2017
57 Comments
you are pretty stupid if you buy stuff just for the sake of it being cheaper than usual
Hard to disagree with that
try some self control ?
never had that problem if i see a deal on something i need or use then i go for it
never purchased anything i did not plan on purchasing i dont have a monthly spend linked to hukd
Well done.

Why are you back?
I have a different saving method. Every time I think about buying some crap I don't need from HUKD, I put that amount of money into my savings instead. A bit like a swear jar, but a crap buying jar.

Paid for my PS4 Pro and didn't have to quit HUKD either (more's the pity).
Edited by: "MSK." 17th Aug 2017
I banned myself for couple of months from HUKD..made no difference. Hardly went for deals before.

You have cleared your debts but you are back and so will enter the same cycle if you cannot control yourself.
Good luck
OP, I have a laptop for sale RRP £9,999 Yours for £1,000ono?
You must have enough to make a 2nd hand shop spending that much. I've bought stuff that I don't use but it's small and the money I saved from finding cheap mobile contracts, broadband, deals, miss prices and the rest of it easily out weighs the stuff I never use, and there's not much junk.
*Sloman*29 m ago

Also the site didn't used to have knobs like you. It was a helpful and …Also the site didn't used to have knobs like you. It was a helpful and pleasant community.

While they could have worded it better, they're right. As essentially you've spent out money you can't afford on stuff you don't need just because it was a few quid cheaper.

Now you're back on HKUD does this mean you're going to put yourself in debt again?
Edited by: "Splashmo" 17th Aug 2017
Wongy11034 m ago

Hard to disagree with that try some self control ?

isn't self control precisely what OP has exercised?
*Sloman*35 m ago

Also the site didn't used to have knobs like you. It was a helpful and …Also the site didn't used to have knobs like you. It was a helpful and pleasant community.

Is that actually true though?
Whenever I go through threads in this Misc section, I find myself adding to my ever growing ignore list.
davewave5 m ago

Not really they have just ignored the problem
they are back anyway so doesn't really sound like it is 'fixed
A whole 3 minutes?

Some banned members already have multi accounts lined-up & can beat that record.
Check out "Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things" on Netflix
Cool fam, now grab a new oled tv
*Sloman*1 h, 23 m ago

You're back just in time for the Bank Holiday offers next week

31717513-RWgkU.jpg
Edited by: "summerof76" 17th Aug 2017
deleted265520
Same here OP but I banned myself because of the awful skin update forced on us.
Man the deals you've missed!!

I'm currently sporting a brand spanking new pair of 501's the don't fit. But hey dude they were £27 reduced from £90

Hot!!
In the last 3 months I've spent

About £6 on eBay for some usb connectors and battery cells and a universal plug nothing to do with HUKD.
£69.99 pre order at Amazon, SNES mini again nothing to do with HUKD i was alerted to it via FB group.
£133 on aliexpress due to HUKD, for a phone which was needed as I smashed my THL T6C.

The OP needs to learn some self control and not blame websites for his\her weakness.
davewave1 h, 14 m ago

Self control is being able to walk past the bookies without running inside to place a bet, not staying in your house all day out of fear of seeing a bookies and being unable to resist.
dtovey8917th Aug 2017

Same here OP but I banned myself because of the awful skin update forced …Same here OP but I banned myself because of the awful skin update forced on us.

You seem to be here
The people commenting with sarcastic remarks clearly don't understand. What you have is an addiction, I'd recommend staying off the site completely. A spending addiction is similar to a gambling addiction, stay clean and don't listen to the ignorant.
What Error said
I saved loads can't remember what ?
blame the rum

31717959-zCYY4.jpg
Edited by: "Wongy110" 17th Aug 2017
dtovey8917th Aug 2017

Same here OP but I banned myself because of the awful skin update forced …Same here OP but I banned myself because of the awful skin update forced on us.

Is it just me or is it really slow? Takes about five minutes to upload a comment of more than two sentences
psychobitchfromhell4 m ago

Is it just me or is it really slow? Takes about five minutes to upload a …Is it just me or is it really slow? Takes about five minutes to upload a comment of more than two sentences

No, it's not just you. That's the main feautre of the new site!
I reckon there are three types of people on this site:
1. Those who can't resist a bargain even if they don't actually need it
2. Those who buy a few things cos they are cheap and they need them and are glad for the post because they needed to stock up on that particular item.
3. Those who prowl around in misc.
MSK.3 m ago

No, it's not just you. That's the main feautre of the new site!

I'm glad it isn't just me. Driving me mad.
psychobitchfromhell6 m ago

I reckon there are three types of people on this site:1. Those who can't …I reckon there are three types of people on this site:1. Those who can't resist a bargain even if they don't actually need it2. Those who buy a few things cos they are cheap and they need them and are glad for the post because they needed to stock up on that particular item.3. Those who prowl around in misc.

I think I'm a combination of 2 and 3. Though some may just say a 3, while thinking I am a number 2.
deleted265520
psychobitchfromhell35 m ago

Is it just me or is it really slow? Takes about five minutes to upload a …Is it just me or is it really slow? Takes about five minutes to upload a comment of more than two sentences

No idea I won't give it the time of day.

Always thought I'd go out riding into the sunset all guns blazing. Oh well
MSK.27 m ago

I think I'm a combination of 2 and 3. Though some may just say a 3, while …I think I'm a combination of 2 and 3. Though some may just say a 3, while thinking I am a number 2.

I'm between two and three too but that means I am breaking my own rules so maybe I should just shut up. As for being number two, you have cats. How can you be? By the way, would you like to adopt Rupert? He is doing my head in right now
dtovey8917th Aug 2017

No idea I won't give it the time of day. Always thought I'd go out riding …No idea I won't give it the time of day. Always thought I'd go out riding into the sunset all guns blazing. Oh well

Now I'm having a moment
psychobitchfromhell25 m ago

I'm between two and three too but that means I am breaking my own rules so …I'm between two and three too but that means I am breaking my own rules so maybe I should just shut up. As for being number two, you have cats. How can you be? By the way, would you like to adopt Rupert? He is doing my head in right now

You have a cat called Rupert? How could anyone resist a cat called Rupert? 😻 What's he doing?
Typical excuse and why the next financial crisis is upon us. I didn't need it so I bought it anyway and ended up in debt.

On the way to work I wee an awful lot of very new cars, personal debt is spiraling out of control but again these people wont take responsibility for their actions.
Graham197913 m ago

...On the way to work I wee an awful lot of very new cars...

Are you taking the prius?
I don't have to stop myself because 99% off deals are crap anyway these days
I have tried so many times to stay away from this site just for a few hours and i can't even do that! 3 months would drive me mad
Girl you got issues
dtovey8917th Aug 2017

No idea I won't give it the time of day. Always thought I'd go out riding …No idea I won't give it the time of day. Always thought I'd go out riding into the sunset all guns blazing. Oh well

You could try but i don't think anyone will notice at the moment
mutley133 m ago

I have tried so many times to stay away from this site just for a few …I have tried so many times to stay away from this site just for a few hours and i can't even do that! 3 months would drive me mad*

*er
no way have you saved money, I have saved 1,000s over the years, I have a spare room full of stuff to prove it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants