Groups

I beat CPW in a lawsuit

A little story.

Basically, I signed up to my CPW O2 contract for 12 months and was told that I'd be getting 08 numbers free as the T&C changed after my contract began. That was clearly a lie.

When I realised this, I wanted to cancel, couldn't. I tried to chase up CPW, they kept fobbing me off.

I sued via MCOL for my entire contract line rental, 1500 minutes at 20p per minute for 12 months (bit unreasonable) which came to like £4,000. Clearly I didn't want £4k.

Anyway, CPW have agreed to settle, at this:

- refund of 4 months line rental I have already paid
    - court fees of £100

Also, two months ago I accidentally made a phone call for £70. CPW gave me wrong info about it and I was charged. It was their fault but really, I was powerless to do anything about this. Anyway, they refunded me that and all call charges. So it was:

- refund of 4 months paid invoices, line rental and call costs
    - terminating my contract

This came to about £306 (note I only really expected line rental, not that extra £90 or so of call charges).

Also, when I took my contract out, CPW told me that the rental would be £25 per month. It was actually £30, so they gave me a cheque then for £60. Plus, I kept the mobile phone.

And finally, they offered me £100 compensation for my troubles which meant a total of £406. I said make it £450 and they agreed straight away. Bit disappointing, I should've said £500!

So in summary:

- £450 cash which included line rental and calls made
    - contract terminated
    - £60 previous cheque
    - brand new mobile phone (was an SE K550i, lovely phone, excellent)

Not a bad day's work. I only really expected £220, which was 4 month's line rental and my court fees, so that's not bad! Just thought I'd tell you all this so that if CPW tries to scam anyone else with their lies, you can fight back. They treated me like rubbish, it took me over three months before anyone got in touch with me and that was only because I took legal action, else they'd have kept on ignoring my phone calls.

I hope that story is a little inspirational to anyone!

20 Comments

Didn't you have to sign a confidentiality clause or something similar?
    Well done BTW.:)

Original Poster

Erm, no, didn't have to sign anything. In fact I told them that I would exercise my right to tell people how poor they were if they didn't cancel my other two (one on my mum's name) contracts too.

But thanks, just thought this might give others a boost when they're wrongly done by a company.

I'd be interested to hear how you used MCOL to achieve this btw

Original Poster

schizoboy

I'd be interested to hear how you used MCOL to achieve this btw

Just filed the complaint via MCOL with my figures, it didn't take long for CPW (I say long, they used the month!) to contact me for settlement to avoid court.

The Money Claim OnLine Forms are very easy to fill in.

What I was looking for:
    ]https//ww…uk/

I wonder how effective that is against broadband isps/cashback mobile retailers etc.

Your title suggests that you beat them in a lawsuit, can you confirm that you went to court and received a judgement in your favour.

Original Poster

I think MCOL is filing a lawsuit, is it not? It just settled out of court.

I'm not gonna argue, sharing this story wasn't a benefit to me, just a help to others struggling with mobile companies, it's been effective for me with cashback previously with mobileshop as well.

AV1985

I think MCOL is filing a lawsuit, is it not? It just settled out of … I think MCOL is filing a lawsuit, is it not? It just settled out of court.I'm not gonna argue, sharing this story wasn't a benefit to me, just a help to others struggling with mobile companies, it's been effective for me with cashback previously with mobileshop as well.

I only wanted you to clear it up for all reading.

Filing a lawsuit is not beating someone in a lawsuit. :thumbsup:

Well done!

How much is it to use that service? and you do you pay 1st or pay when the company pays you ?

Original Poster

I paid £100 as I sued for a lot but for a small amount, it's only £30.

thesaint

I only wanted you to clear it up for all reading. Filing a lawsuit … I only wanted you to clear it up for all reading. Filing a lawsuit is not beating someone in a lawsuit. :thumbsup:

I agree with you for once!!!

Bit risky taking on this case, did you have any proof or just your word against theirs? I got something similar a while ago but didn't risk taking them to court, just dealt with Charles Dunstone's office.

qazim

Well done!How much is it to use that service? and you do you pay 1st or … Well done!How much is it to use that service? and you do you pay 1st or pay when the company pays you ?

The amount you pay is dependant on how much you are sueing for.
    You add the amount of the fee to your claim, it is paid in advance because you do not know if you would win, and the court will not invoice you after the case and hope they are paid.

There is no £100 fee, so I would be wary of taking advice from the OP.

thesaint

The amount you pay is dependant on how much you are sueing for.You add … The amount you pay is dependant on how much you are sueing for.You add the amount of the fee to your claim, it is paid in advance because you do not know if you would win, and the court will not invoice you after the case and hope they are paid.There is no £100 fee, so I would be wary of taking advice from the OP.

Agreed. Too many things seem a bit stretched here.

Also, companies like CPW won't admit liability, pay out and not expect you to sign a confidentiality agreement. It's standard procedure for these companies when settling out of court to prevent bad publicity and multiple claims.

Syzable

Agreed. Too many things seem a bit stretched here. Also, companies like … Agreed. Too many things seem a bit stretched here. Also, companies like CPW won't admit liability, pay out and not expect you to sign a confidentiality agreement. It's standard procedure for these companies when settling out of court to prevent bad publicity and multiple claims.

I don't doubt the OP got a good deal, but there are a few things that don't add up. I don't know about confidentiality clauses, so won't comment on that.

If he paid around £100 court fee, he was sueing for around £3000, but was happy to receive £610 + a cheap mobile phone. :whistling:

Original Poster

Oh wow, you don't have to believe me, didn't see this coming. No skin off of my nose though I am proud of this outcome. I have documentation to prove it such as correspondence with CPW though I obviously won't post that.

The court fee was £100 as I was suing for £3960. Basically, that covered me for the minutes that they owed me. A ludicrous sum to be honest but I saw nothing that enabled me to sue for them cancelling my contract so I took this path. Clearly I was misguided with the figure and am happy they settled as they did.

So far they haven't asked me to sign anything, who knows, maybe they will.

The proof I had was calls that CPW recorded which proved that they had lied to me.

If you don't want to believe me I am happy with that. I get my financial boost and get what was owed to me, lock this thread if you so wish, it doesn't affect me at all!!

Syzable

Agreed. Too many things seem a bit stretched here. Also, companies like … Agreed. Too many things seem a bit stretched here. Also, companies like CPW won't admit liability, pay out and not expect you to sign a confidentiality agreement. It's standard procedure for these companies when settling out of court to prevent bad publicity and multiple claims.

Well done. I am getting mucked about by CPW, may use them.

Original Poster

I've also managed to get two additional contracts cancelled as the same legal rep investigated it. One came with the Samsung G600 on an 18 month contract, sweet! That said, will lose any cashback (a few month's worth) but I'll take it to avoid the hassle!

hmmm more info on this MCOL thing? wud it be suitable for tryng to get my 120 quid of paypal?

Mclovin

hmmm more info on this MCOL thing? wud it be suitable for tryng to get my … hmmm more info on this MCOL thing? wud it be suitable for tryng to get my 120 quid of paypal?

What's the matter with you, :roll: :roll: Google is your friend:-
    ]http//ww…htm

You ain't gonna be able to use it for Paypal.:roll:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.812
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would11
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047137
      4. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2547

See more discussions