I bought a car with major fault from private seller, what to do

Found 25th Jul
I bought a car with major fault from private seller 2 weeks ago, what to do ?

Clutch is very hard, I didn't knew it was a big problem till I went to garage and they said £700 for clutch + fly wheel (more money).

I bought car for £2500, I also did service on it for £150 + it also need cambelt change which is another £400

Now this private seller gave me invoice with 3 months warranty with T&C. How should I proceed with this ?
Community Updates
AskHome & Living
Top comments
murtgurge48 m ago

£400 for cambelt change? that's what 75£ a minute for labour?

I doubt you even know what a tool is, without a mirror, to advise on changing a timing belt in under 6 minutes.
“Now this private seller gave me invoice with 3 months warranty with T&C”

Who is that with? A garage or something.

I don’t understand how the private seller could offer warranty.

Sadly with used cars they are sold as seen and you don’t have any comeback for the seller
35 Comments
Talk to the seller, but you really don’t have a leg to stand on if it’s a private sale.
“Now this private seller gave me invoice with 3 months warranty with T&C”

Who is that with? A garage or something.

I don’t understand how the private seller could offer warranty.

Sadly with used cars they are sold as seen and you don’t have any comeback for the seller
‘Private Seller’ my bum.
More like trader shifting on a car that was hard to shift.
Both Clutch and Cambelt are service items so won’t be covered by anything.

You should speak to them anyway, see what they say. If they do turn out to be a business, Trading Standards could well have some fun with them.

How did you pay? all cash I presume.
A Passat?
Did you test drive this car before you bought it?
It might sound daft but try your local vw dealers for a price in the cam belt doing they often do it for a fixed price that can complete with local garages.

‘You should have looked into the cars history before buying it and realising what was due.

You didn’t have to service it you chose to. Also you choose to change the cam belt. You could gamble and not do it. It might last a mile or a million.
Edited by: "Wadda" 25th Jul
murtgurge2 m ago

£350-400 is about normal for a vw tdi engine cam belt.
murtgurge25 m ago

Can you explain how you come up with that figure :/...
I’d imagine a clutch is more wear and tear than a fault and the cambelt doesn’t have to be changed by anyone within a specific time, that’s a choice if they want to change it before 100,000 miles. The cambelt isn’t faulty if it just needs replacing. It’s also not up to the seller to say what has and hasn’t been done on the car, although we would like them to. You should’ve had questions like this ready to ask the seller. Morally the seller should’ve told you if he was aware of any of this but it’s very rare a private seller would tell you that you might need to spend another £1100 when you buy the car for £2500. I doubt the warranty will cover wear and tear and the cambelt isn’t faulty.
Edited by: "jayonline85" 25th Jul
Did you mention to the seller at the time about the stiffness of the clutch?
Hindsight being that wonderful thing but maybe you should have walked away then.

As someone else has said if they are a trader (albeit small time) but passing themselves off as a private seller then a call to trading standards might be in order.
Edited by: "u664541" 25th Jul
Don’t sell like faults just wear and tear £2,500 doesn’t get you a lot really !
murtgurge48 m ago

I doubt you even know what a tool is, without a mirror, to advise on changing a timing belt in under 6 minutes.
WhiteNoiseMaker1 h, 33 m ago

Talk to the seller, but you really don’t have a leg to stand on if it’s a p …Talk to the seller, but you really don’t have a leg to stand on if it’s a private sale.

it was a private sale..
So they gave me written 3 months warranty means nothing ?
Hunt_Deal_Hunt2 m ago

You will have to read the smallprint but most warrantys don't cover wear and tear which a worn clutch is. It will not cover serice costs for certain.
Hunt_Deal_Hunt5 m ago

it was a private sale..

Yes but was it really a private sale is what we are trying to say. Private sellers do not give warranties.
Let’s say they did, what T&Cs did they give you for the warranty?
Where was it listed? Does that person have anything else advertised right now?
Oneday772 m ago

Yes but was it really a private sale is what we are trying to say. Private …Yes but was it really a private sale is what we are trying to say. Private sellers do not give warranties. Let’s say they did, what T&Cs did they give you for the warranty?Where was it listed? Does that person have anything else advertised right now?

It was definitely a private sale, they didn't wanted to but in our deal they offered us warranty...
Oneday772 m ago

Yes but was it really a private sale is what we are trying to say. Private …Yes but was it really a private sale is what we are trying to say. Private sellers do not give warranties. Let’s say they did, what T&Cs did they give you for the warranty?Where was it listed? Does that person have anything else advertised right now?

it was on gumtree
murtgurge1 h, 11 m ago

Clueless!
Hunt_Deal_Hunt17 m ago

It was definitely a private sale, they didn't wanted to but in our deal …It was definitely a private sale, they didn't wanted to but in our deal they offered us warranty...

So what does the warranty say?
sorry if I upset anyone with my cambelt comment, I will go give myself 20 lashes with an old cambelt
murtgurge13 m ago

sorry if I upset anyone with my cambelt comment, I will go give myself 20 …sorry if I upset anyone with my cambelt comment, I will go give myself 20 lashes with an old cambelt

I bet it'll take you longer than six minutes to remove it from the car!
Theres a lay-by near me often has a car in with for sale sign in (often 2-3k, I reckon that's a dodgy trader selling his crap trade ins, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, on the other hand a local older guy often has cheap run around's, he is apparently spot on to buy from he's a retired mechanic who likes to keep his hand in and will rectify any genuine issue.

Pro-tip if buying from a private seller google their phone number, if its dodgy they will likely show up on other for sale adverts past and present, not fool proof but can be a good indicator.
So drive the car for 3 months. Apparently its under warranty. Then if nothing goes wrong it's up to you if you want to service something.

A hard clutch just sounds like it's heavy to me. If it moves and changes gear = clutch works.

What is a hard clutch to OP?
Similar thing happened to me, dishonest people, Sucks

Don't worry people who this type of thing will hopefully face bad luck.
Sell the car for the same price or more money to some poor git

It's a dog eat dog world
MrMan20116 h, 16 m ago

Similar thing happened to me, dishonest people, Sucks Don't worry people …Similar thing happened to me, dishonest people, Sucks Don't worry people who this type of thing will hopefully face bad luck.

Seller has done nothing dishonest

Cam belt change is clear enough on the service schedule. Buyer should have checked.

Heavy clutch is wear & tear beyond sellers control as obviously appeared after purchase
Hunt_Deal_Hunt9 h, 52 m ago

Why ask us? You have access to the terms and conditions, we do not.
Dyslexic_Dog10 h, 26 m ago

I bet it'll take you longer than six minutes to remove it from the car!

Well, a Stanley knife would say otherwise in a pinch. Pretty sure it wouldn’t be common operating practice.
With regards to the service, that's your choice. With regards to the cam belt, also your choice. Both of these are good decisions if you are looking at running the car for a while. Clutch? If it was like that she you bought it, then that is what you paid for. If it developed that fault after you bought it then maybe the vendor should replace but I would think that was fair wear and tear. You can't expect a £2500 car to be in showroom condition .
I would still contact the seller and see if he'll honour or perhaps take pity on you and offer a solution but legally they don't have to. You could take him to a small claims court but they're serviceable items and the warranty isn't worth anything so you would almost certainly be wasting your time and even more money.
Have you googled the mobile number of the seller? This often exposes a trader in the number of results and inclusion of the number sometimes

Have you googled the address,gone to Maps and zoomed right in? This frequently shows a business name

Look up the individuals name and address at companies house. That may show a trader

Head over to Honestjohn.co.uk for good advice (but dont expect anything good unless you can come up with it being tradre. Caveat Emptor applies to private sales unless there has been a blatant attempt to hide/mislead)
Warranty ain't worth paper there wrote on from your used garage never mind private

I bought a 307 and a day later head gasket was cracked ...took car back to the guys house and he give me all you cash back ...he was a nice guy though
chocci26th Jul

Why ask us? You have access to the terms and conditions, we do not.

Kick him while he’s down! Kick him!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants