I bought an SDS drill from screwfix but can't get it to work

Found 2nd JunEdited by:"xPabloz"
I need to remove old plaster/render so thought instead of spending like ~£200 for something i only need to use once i should get something cheaper so ended up getting this:

screwfix.com/p/t…533

This particular drill has been posted here few times with positive reviews. The problem is despite folllowing the instructions, the "hammer only / chiselling" function does nothing. I got it exchanged the following day but the still having the same issue with the replacement. I plan on returning it tomorrow and getting makita sds drill but just wanted to ask if maybe i'm doing something wrong.
Community Updates
Top comments
Sounds daft but have you applied enough pressure for the hammer action to switch in. Mine doesn't hammer until it hits something solid.
17 Comments
Sounds daft but have you applied enough pressure for the hammer action to switch in. Mine doesn't hammer until it hits something solid.
kester761 h, 29 m ago

Sounds daft but have you applied enough pressure for the hammer action to …Sounds daft but have you applied enough pressure for the hammer action to switch in. Mine doesn't hammer until it hits something solid.

Agree with kester.
mas998 m ago

Agree with kester.

​I did apply pressure ranging from abit to alot. Didnt even make a scratch. Even tried different surfaces.
Have you switched the 2 switches to hammer ?

Does the hammer drill work ?

Does the drill work ?
Edited by: "Darzen" 2nd Jun
Darzen56 m ago

Have you switched the 2 switches to hammer ?Does the hammer drill work …Have you switched the 2 switches to hammer ?Does the hammer drill work ?Does the drill work ?

yes to all 3.
So what happens when u select the hammer only function and press it against the wall and the button
I'm sure u must be missing out on something if this is Ur second drill maybe ask at the Screwfix store if u cant get it too work ask them say Ur struggling to get it on hammer only mode maybe the selector switch isn't correctly labeled try turnings it to all positions and see if it starts just the hammer function
MynameisM1 h, 13 m ago

So what happens when u select the hammer only function and press it …So what happens when u select the hammer only function and press it against the wall and the button

you could abviously tell that the drill is turned on because sound but when pressing it against the wall, it literally stays at that position, the chisel does not move at all.
MynameisM1 h, 10 m ago

I'm sure u must be missing out on something if this is Ur second drill …I'm sure u must be missing out on something if this is Ur second drill maybe ask at the Screwfix store if u cant get it too work ask them say Ur struggling to get it on hammer only mode maybe the selector switch isn't correctly labeled try turnings it to all positions and see if it starts just the hammer function

i've tried all different combination because it is possible that it may be labelled wrong but other functions actually work as intended i.e drill only and drill with hammer. aside from the mode selection, the only thing that i could think of is the chuck bit but that wouldn't really make sense. i guess my best bet is to get screwfix staff to show me how it works and if still doesn;t work then just return it.
Have you got the yellow button on the right selection. In fact all buttons on Drill should be on the right selection or drill will not function.
33904908-ZLLM6.jpg

if you look at the image above, the current settings is in hammer drill mode. turning side selector is for hammer mode only according to manual and the symbols on the drill itself.
How u getting on its quite late at night or should I say early in morning know just wondering if the above comment has made it work if u have tried it.
LostRolo1 h, 44 m ago

You need to set both the yellow dial on the side and the yellow lever at …You need to set both the yellow dial on the side and the yellow lever at the back of the body.The chisel only position on the dial will stop rotation of the bit.The lever selector needs to be on the "Hammer + Drill" setting.

MynameisM28 m ago

How u getting on its quite late at night or should I say early in morning …How u getting on its quite late at night or should I say early in morning know just wondering if the above comment has made it work if u have tried it.

thats what i set it on since its also in the manual, doesn't do anything when pressing again wall (or anything for that matter). only option is to wait till screwfix opens up now
Is this you ?

Another posibly stupid q - have you actually fitted the bit correctly?
So what's the Ending we want to know
MynameisM10 h, 30 m ago

So what's the Ending we want to know

Returned it and got full refund. (it was faulty)
Edited by: "xPabloz" 4th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions