I can't decide between Plusnet Fibre and BT Infinity 1

Found 1st JanEdited by:"xPabloz"
I've never had any experience with Plusnet whereas with BT I had bad experience back in like 2010 but of course things change over time.

Anyway with current offers and deals, here is approx costs of both providers.

Plusnet - 12months contract

12 x 24.99 + £10 activation fee = 309.88 or £25.83/month
Possible £70 quidco cashbak
Total cost after cashback = £239.88 or £19.99/month

BT Infinity 1 - 18months contract

18 x 29.99 + 9.99 delivery = 549.81 or £30.56/month
£125 reward card = £424.81 or £23.60/month
possible £70 TCB
Total cost after cashback = £354.81or £19.71/month

As you can see in both cases (with & without cashback) BT works out to be cheaper but it does mean 18months commitment. On the other hand, I'm not sure how good plusnet is and I heard they do traffic management.
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
Bt is faster than Plusnet, so BT wins for me
They are all reasonable till you have a problem, then things can go wrong especially if you been an engineer visit, I have been with them all over the years and once you have an issue with your internet they all spear as bad as each other, Talk Talk being the worst but all the others not much better, I am with BT infinity 1 at the moment and they let me down with installation a few times at first, then when I did get an engineer visit my fibre router would not connect, he had to return the next day, in the end they had to shut down the whole fibre network for midwales so my router would boot onto there system, then had spend weeks chasing up my voucher offer. Since then no other issues and it has worked well for the last 16 months...
jb6618 m ago

Bt is faster than Plusnet, so BT wins for me

I can't get anything above 38mb. both guarantee a minimum speed of 22mb for me.
Plusnet is a BT company.
Most services in the UK are delivered over the openreach network. Whenever you choose it's likely to be fiber to the PCP (green box) and copper from there to your master socket.
Some companies may limit your maximum download and upload speeds, cap what you can use a month, have peak times where certain activities are slowed down.
Most are ok, until something goes wrong.
I was going to swap to plusnet only because of the price , they took the money for the connection straight away , I gave my notice to BT , 2 days before BT cut me off I just happened to check my plusnet account and it said there was a problem so I rang them and they said I couldn't have fibre with them as there wasn't a spare port in the cabinet (whatever that means) so I then had to get back onto BT and try to haggle a deal with them (which I did)
Edited by: "moschops1" 1st Jan
SOUTHWALES11 m ago

They are all reasonable till you have a problem, then things can go wrong …They are all reasonable till you have a problem, then things can go wrong especially if you been an engineer visit, I have been with them all over the years and once you have an issue with your internet they all spear as bad as each other, Talk Talk being the worst but all the others not much better, I am with BT infinity 1 at the moment and they let me down with installation a few times at first, then when I did get an engineer visit my fibre router would not connect, he had to return the next day, in the end they had to shut down the whole fibre network for midwales so my router would boot onto there system, then had spend weeks chasing up my voucher offer. Since then no other issues and it has worked well for the last 16 months...

this is why we have stayed with sky broadband for so long. they are cheap for us but also when there are issues, they send out openreach engineers to look into problems pretty pronto without any charge. we even got a free wall bt phone socket that has the adsl filter without any fee to replace our old phone socket. we were well happy
Paddy_o_furniture21 m ago

Plusnet is a BT company.Most services in the UK are delivered over the …Plusnet is a BT company.Most services in the UK are delivered over the openreach network. Whenever you choose it's likely to be fiber to the PCP (green box) and copper from there to your master socket. Some companies may limit your maximum download and upload speeds, cap what you can use a month, have peak times where certain activities are slowed down. Most are ok, until something goes wrong.

Mine is fibre to the home, I now have 2 lines coming into my home, with the free speed upgrade the other I am now getting 76mb for £29 a month with weekend calls. Quite impressive considering I live in one of the most rural towns in Wales.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 1st Jan
Paddy_o_furniture23 m ago

Plusnet is a BT company.Most services in the UK are delivered over the …Plusnet is a BT company.Most services in the UK are delivered over the openreach network. Whenever you choose it's likely to be fiber to the PCP (green box) and copper from there to your master socket. Some companies may limit your maximum download and upload speeds, cap what you can use a month, have peak times where certain activities are slowed down. Most are ok, until something goes wrong.

Plusnet is not actually a BT company, it was set up by BT as a separate company under instructions from the OFT or Monopolies commission I'm not sure which. Either way they use the BT infrastructure but their customer service, sakes etc are independent.
I'm with Plusnet and have been for many years.
The clincher for me is the customer service - when I did have problems they started south me until it was all resolved, they phoned me back several times YES THEY PHONED ME! And the customer service is in England...I nearly said they speak English, but they're from Yorkshire, So you may still need Google translate or subtitles, lol.
mrty9 m ago

Plusnet is not actually a BT company, it was set up by BT as a separate …Plusnet is not actually a BT company, it was set up by BT as a separate company under instructions from the OFT or Monopolies commission I'm not sure which. Either way they use the BT infrastructure but their customer service, sakes etc are independent. I'm with Plusnet and have been for many years. The clincher for me is the customer service - when I did have problems they started south me until it was all resolved, they phoned me back several times YES THEY PHONED ME! And the customer service is in England...I nearly said they speak English, but they're from Yorkshire, So you may still need Google translate or subtitles, lol.

BT is the parent company of plusnet, I assure you.
I can assure you that they are two totally independent companies, in as much as they operate independently, they have separate management and they compete as rivals. They were financed by BT, under direction, in response to complaints of BT having the monopoly.
The customer service is independent, the only way a customer has to deal with BT, if they are Plusnet customer, is when the engineer comes to install our rectify any issues.
Historically they are a subsidiary of BT but realistically they are two separate companies.
mrty24 m ago

I can assure you that they are two totally independent companies, in as …I can assure you that they are two totally independent companies, in as much as they operate independently, they have separate management and they compete as rivals. They were financed by BT, under direction, in response to complaints of BT having the monopoly. The customer service is independent, the only way a customer has to deal with BT, if they are Plusnet customer, is when the engineer comes to install our rectify any issues. Historically they are a subsidiary of BT but realistically they are two separate companies.

Who is the parent company of plusnet?
I'm well of aware of regulation, competition etc. I work for openreach as a Customer Service Engineer.
It's a BT company in the same way openreach is (at least for now).

You showed how little you know by saying that you'd deal with BT if you ever have a fault. BT haven't had engineers on the network for 10 or so years now. You'd call your sp and they'd raise a fault with openreach (a bt company) who would then send an openreach engineer to fix the fault.
Edited by: "Paddy_o_furniture" 1st Jan
So which of the two are more reliable in terms of speeds and when it comes to solving issues? and finally which one tends to have more problems overall?

also can someone confirm whether plusnet does traffic management? if so then i think it would be better to just go with BT
Plusnet have UK support and I've heard it's very good. People do claim about the supplier router quite frequently to me.
I'm not sure on traffic management by either.
Paddy_o_furniture17 m ago

Plusnet have UK support and I've heard it's very good. People do claim …Plusnet have UK support and I've heard it's very good. People do claim about the supplier router quite frequently to me. I'm not sure on traffic management by either.

i know bt doesnt do traffic management but from what i read plusnet did before not sure about now
If Plusnet traffic manage then somehow I'm escaping it. I stream TV content daily for hours at a time, heavy usage monthly and never notice any speed issues.
Edited by: "bynouk" 1st Jan
Iv been with both. Horrendous company (bt). Randomly disconnect router all the time. And slow connection away down. Plusnet is same as they are run by bt

Sky is hard to beat!
chrismc200503 m ago

Iv been with both. Horrendous company (bt). Randomly disconnect router all …Iv been with both. Horrendous company (bt). Randomly disconnect router all the time. And slow connection away down. Plusnet is same as they are run by bt Sky is hard to beat!

been with sky since 2010 and left them last year to rejoin to get better deal. right now as customer they're offering me like £38/m for fibre optic and thats with discount. just like every other company out there, they just love to suck every bit of our soul out.
ended up going with BT because I wasn't sure if Plusnet does traffic management and also because of the lower cost with weekend calls included
Edited by: "xPabloz" 4th Jan
xPabloz1 h, 12 m ago

ended up going with BT because I wasn't sure if Plusnet does traffic …ended up going with BT because I wasn't sure if Plusnet does traffic management and also because of the lower cost with weekend calls

BT and plusnet are the same company just different names. Plusnet is cheaper alternative. BT version is different. They use traffic management. I'm with plusnet and my speed randomly slows to kB instead of mb lol. Good luck. Iv been with them both. It was the same
chrismc200504 m ago

BT and plusnet are the same company just different names. Plusnet is …BT and plusnet are the same company just different names. Plusnet is cheaper alternative. BT version is different. They use traffic management. I'm with plusnet and my speed randomly slows to kB instead of mb lol. Good luck. Iv been with them both. It was the same

gave me a mini heart attack when you said they do traffic management (thought you were referring to BT)
Edited by: "xPabloz" 4th Jan
I am having issues with BT currently. Had Infinity 2 for 7 months with a lousy speed, about 9 mbs they checked and did nothing. Been complaining for 6 months, they sent an Open Reach guy round and he made more than the cursory glimpse in the junction box and found that a lot of the equipment needed replacing , now getting over 70mmbs, very good speeds but not interested in offering compensation for the months limping by at 9mbs. Their attitude is, be grateful that it's fixed and shut up. Combined with an overseas customer service team to make a useless company.
xPabloz3 h, 10 m ago

gave me a mini heart attack when you said they do traffic management …gave me a mini heart attack when you said they do traffic management (thought you were referring to BT)

They doo. Same as plusnet lol. Its run from same connections just different names. They one worst. Gd luck. Soon see speed randomly crimpled
BT do not have any traffic management, no peak time restrictions and no hidden limits.
diabeticguy5 h, 9 m ago

I am having issues with BT currently. Had Infinity 2 for 7 months with a …I am having issues with BT currently. Had Infinity 2 for 7 months with a lousy speed, about 9 mbs they checked and did nothing. Been complaining for 6 months, they sent an Open Reach guy round and he made more than the cursory glimpse in the junction box and found that a lot of the equipment needed replacing , now getting over 70mmbs, very good speeds but not interested in offering compensation for the months limping by at 9mbs. Their attitude is, be grateful that it's fixed and shut up. Combined with an overseas customer service team to make a useless company.

This an update really about my experience with BT today.

Placed and order and sometime later decided that I want to get simply only deal too which works out to be around £6.66/m (£15/m without reward card) for 20gb data + Unlimited mins/text. I had to place separate order but the cost was coming up as £20/m instead of £15 but I only found out after placing the order.

I contacted their online chat about this and the guy was like they probably didnt update the prices correctly and that i SHOULD use different link that he provided, which was for £20/m. I told him that it shows a cheaper prices for me if I order broadband + mobile sim together so why should i pay extra £5. He simply ignored everything and kept referring back to the link and not the fact it was more expensive. So told him to cancel everything and all of sudden "complaints department" was closed and to contact tommorrow (5th jan).

Then I logged into my account to see if I can do it from there since I wont be getting the services till end of month anyways. broadband was already cancelled and sim is being delivered within next 2days. Now I need to wait till their customer service is open to sort this out since they already took out one-off fee which i believe is non-refundedable but then again nothing has been activated so there is still a hope.

what makes it worse is that I ended up ordering broadband and sim together to be on safe side since their offer was about to end in less than 30mins but this time round i opted for the fee to be taken after everything is activated. This is so that if the previous order was actually cancelled then I have this otherwise i can simply can this without paying the fee. Will see what happens when i contact them.
BT Infinity for sure, no issues here on multiple lines since the start of Infinity and had no issues with bt broadband before then either.

Just avoid sky and talktalk like the plague.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants