I can't get shopping

Posted 16th Mar
Hi,

I have agoraphobia and for the most part I'm housebound. I usually receive some assistance from mental health, but they have not visited me in over 2 weeks now. I usually have no problem ordering groceries online, but because of corona and people panic buying I can't get a delivery slot. The closest one is a week away with Tesco where Sainsbury's isn't till 5th April.

Is there a time delivery slots 'free up' where I might be able to snag one? I'm pretty concerned because I don't have much family to help me other than my mum who's currently in hospital.

Maybe not appropriate for here, but I don't know where else to ask...
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Hey, good news.

Turns out there IS an Asda. One opened a couple of years ago and I wasn't even aware...

I've got a slot for Wednesday!
Where do you live Michael? If around Berkshire I can come around in evening and help you with grocery.
Michael_TI916/03/2020 09:55

Just the two, yeah. I never thought of Iceland. I'll go have a look.I'm …Just the two, yeah. I never thought of Iceland. I'll go have a look.I'm just outside Glasgow. That's a great idea, but I'm hoping it won't come to that.I really should have prepared.Really nice offer unfortunately I'm up near Glasgow.I'm not so short on food I'll starve. I do have a few days worth.Yeah hopefully some slots will free up.I'll let you all know how I get on.

I'm in Glasgow if you need anything. Don't mind travelling if you're low on supplies etc.. give me a shout
Glad you managed to get something sorted for now. Please do look into the local groups on social media if you find yourself in a similar predicament again, there will be loads of people able to help. I’m in the East Dunbartonshire/North Glasgow area, if you find yourself really struggling to get essentials again down the line and would rather not ask on the groups then please send me a message and I’ll see if I can help. Don’t be left struggling. All the best.
23 Comments
I would advise to keep checking, when I was ordering mine, there were delivery slots that kept re-appearing. You get 2 hours or so to complete your order and some people don't do it in time and delivery slots are then freed. I feel a lot of them are being held up because of that. Is it only Tesco and Sainsbury's near you? I have the choice of 3. Plus there is also an Iceland.
Edited by: "Frankie77" 16th Mar
Where about are you based?

@Michael_TI9

If you are really struggling to get a slot could you reach out in a local Facebook page as someone may know of an organisation or individuals willing to help you and collect the shopping for you.

With people been asked to pull together you might find someone willing to help
Where do you live Michael? If around Berkshire I can come around in evening and help you with grocery.
Just keep checking. I was able to get a delivery from Asda for the 18th and I placed the order yesterday (15th).
Frankie7716/03/2020 09:38

I would advise to keep checking, when I was ordering mine, there were …I would advise to keep checking, when I was ordering mine, there were delivery slots that kept re-appearing. You get 2 hours or so to complete your order and some people don't do it in time and delivery slots are then freed. I feel a lot of them are being held up because of that. Is it only Tesco and Sainsbury's near you? I have the choice of 3. Plus there is also an Iceland.

Just the two, yeah. I never thought of Iceland. I'll go have a look.

myusernamehasgone23416/03/2020 09:42

Where about are you based?@Michael_TI9 If you are really struggling to get …Where about are you based?@Michael_TI9 If you are really struggling to get a slot could you reach out in a local Facebook page as someone may know of an organisation or individuals willing to help you and collect the shopping for you.With people been asked to pull together you might find someone willing to help

I'm just outside Glasgow. That's a great idea, but I'm hoping it won't come to that.

I really should have prepared.

RealOldMonk16/03/2020 09:42

Where do you live Michael? If around Berkshire I can come around in …Where do you live Michael? If around Berkshire I can come around in evening and help you with grocery.

Really nice offer unfortunately I'm up near Glasgow.

I'm not so short on food I'll starve. I do have a few days worth.

Woozie6416/03/2020 09:43

Just keep checking. I was able to get a delivery from Asda for the 18th …Just keep checking. I was able to get a delivery from Asda for the 18th and I placed the order yesterday (15th).

Yeah hopefully some slots will free up.

I'll let you all know how I get on.
I just checked Iceland and they could deliver to me on Friday - I know they don't have everything you might need but it may help. Take care. x
Hey, good news.

Turns out there IS an Asda. One opened a couple of years ago and I wasn't even aware...

I've got a slot for Wednesday!
Try Amazon Pantry too. It’s probably not going to be what you’d normally buy, but it’s better than having no food at all. amazon.co.uk/Ama…031

Michael_TI916/03/2020 10:19

Hey, good news.Turns out there IS an Asda. One opened a couple of years …Hey, good news.Turns out there IS an Asda. One opened a couple of years ago and I wasn't even aware...I've got a slot for Wednesday!

Cracking. Pleased for you.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 16th Mar
Look on Facebook for local groups and new local coronavirus groups.
I must have about 20 or 30 people near to me offering to collect groceries, prescriptions etc for free.
Quite a few local butchers, greengrocers etc have started deliveries this week too.
Michael_TI916/03/2020 09:55

Just the two, yeah. I never thought of Iceland. I'll go have a look.I'm …Just the two, yeah. I never thought of Iceland. I'll go have a look.I'm just outside Glasgow. That's a great idea, but I'm hoping it won't come to that.I really should have prepared.Really nice offer unfortunately I'm up near Glasgow.I'm not so short on food I'll starve. I do have a few days worth.Yeah hopefully some slots will free up.I'll let you all know how I get on.

I'm in Glasgow if you need anything. Don't mind travelling if you're low on supplies etc.. give me a shout
Glad you managed to get something sorted for now. Please do look into the local groups on social media if you find yourself in a similar predicament again, there will be loads of people able to help. I’m in the East Dunbartonshire/North Glasgow area, if you find yourself really struggling to get essentials again down the line and would rather not ask on the groups then please send me a message and I’ll see if I can help. Don’t be left struggling. All the best.
I also had trouble booking a slot with Sainsbury's.. booked it from last week but now all other slots taken for the next few weeks..at least Tesco seem to have more slots/drivers available...at least you have one booked now but plan in advance and book for the weeks coming just in case.
One of the best is Amazon prime now.. if you order in the morning and spend over 40 quid they can often come that afternoon or evening for free even on sunday...

I have a delivery coming by 2 pm today... they are really good if you despstately need shopping quick like the same day
Edited by: "Gabby_Brown" 16th Mar
Faiza16/03/2020 11:00

I'm in Glasgow if you need anything. Don't mind travelling if you're low …I'm in Glasgow if you need anything. Don't mind travelling if you're low on supplies etc.. give me a shout

That is so kind of you to offer to help
Pandamansays16/03/2020 10:39

Look on Facebook for local groups and new local coronavirus groups.I must …Look on Facebook for local groups and new local coronavirus groups.I must have about 20 or 30 people near to me offering to collect groceries, prescriptions etc for free.Quite a few local butchers, greengrocers etc have started deliveries this week too.

Yes i’ve seen a few people offer help on my local group which is lovely to see.
Iceland and Morrisons seem to have the earliest slots for us.

If i were you i'd register an account with anyone that delivers to you so its easier for next time.

Also look at supermarkets that allow you to book 3 weeks in advance and just fill your basket with anything and checkout. You can always amend your order later but it at least gets you a slot.
Glad the OP managed to find a delivery slot.
Also, the comments on this thread are lovely. Restores the faith in this site/humanity.
Michael_TI916/03/2020 10:19

Hey, good news.Turns out there IS an Asda. One opened a couple of years …Hey, good news.Turns out there IS an Asda. One opened a couple of years ago and I wasn't even aware...I've got a slot for Wednesday!

Glad you got sorted, I suppose it's situations like yours that people don't really think about maybe we all need to think more and help more during these unprecedented times
Glad you are sorted Michael and to all you who offered help I salute you, well done hukd ppl.
I'm out and about between North Ayrshire, Paisley and Glasgow for work if you need anything dropped in let me know, I know you got a delivery slot but just in case there's anything out of stock you really need
Edited by: "sparky64" 16th Mar
Nice to see people are helping each other..
If you're near Bishopbriggs I could help out, it's looking like I'll be moving in with my mum soon!
Thanks to everyone for all the support. Fantastic community here and it means the world to me.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants