I feel awful for days after excercise

Posted 18th Dec 2019
I am young and not overweight, I don't do much physical excercise, I usually get in the reccomended 8000+ Steps a day.

I first have a hamstring issues where if I do any fast jogging/sprinting, ie playing football or going for a quick jog, or jog my hamstring will be sore for 4-5 days, I have tryed going to the Physio but months of taking work of early eating my holiday time it was not working so stopped.

but overall not sure if it's just the cold weather but after excercise I just feel dreadful, my whole body feels tired, normally okayish next day but then the following it sets in, it really is making me feel like I can't excercise atall as its just not worth it.

I don't know what to do next other then never play football or excercise again
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

33 Comments
Hows your nutrition? Most of recovery is nutrition and sleep. Protein is a bit of a cliche word used as an answer to anything related to exercise but you'll need a reasonable amount. A good multivitamin is an amazing boost, esp if you don't eat a solid diet.
Could be DOMS if you don't play regularly, your muscles may not be conditioned for exercise.
Buy a foam roller and target your hamstrings, before/after and daily after exercise.

Maybe up your intensity? If done right exercise almost always gives a euphoric high dopamine release that helps with the soreness/fatigue.
Edited by: "TBProdigy" 18th Dec 2019
Need to start off slowly and build up as your muscles need time too repair after you exercise. If you are doing 1 hour exercise maybe reduce too 15mins then build up.
MynameisM18/12/2019 08:54

Need to start off slowly and build up as your muscles need time too repair …Need to start off slowly and build up as your muscles need time too repair after you exercise. If you are doing 1 hour exercise maybe reduce too 15mins then build up.

What sort of problem do I have then?

IE a friend who will play football with me will be similar ecxercise and nutrition and build but won't ache, why do I have an issue?
Gumbon18/12/2019 09:01

What sort of problem do I have then?IE a friend who will play football …What sort of problem do I have then?IE a friend who will play football with me will be similar ecxercise and nutrition and build but won't ache, why do I have an issue?

see your GP in the new year
TBProdigy18/12/2019 08:47

Hows your nutrition? Most of recovery is nutrition and sleep. Protein is a …Hows your nutrition? Most of recovery is nutrition and sleep. Protein is a bit of a cliche word used as an answer to anything related to exercise but you'll need a reasonable amount. A good multivitamin is an amazing boost, esp if you don't eat a solid diet.Could be DOMS if you don't play regularly, your muscles may not be conditioned for exercise.Buy a foam roller and target your hamstrings, before/after and daily after exercise.Maybe up your intensity? If done right exercise almost always gives a euphoric high dopamine release that helps with the soreness/fatigue.

During summer I'd typically have a little bit of cereal and milk, typically fruit n fibre at 11am, then lunch was normally a chicken salad at 1.30 and then a yogurt at 3, then normal dinner at 7.

I would say my nutrition is pretty good, don't drink, smoke or eat too badly most of the time.

Good point with protein definitely not something I've thought about till now, I know its typically known to take this if you do lifting so never thought about it just for playing football but it might help.

regarding my body not being used to it, I don't seem to be able to get out of that trap, I excercise I'm sure for 4 days, I can't get regular excercise in when im ''injured'' even if I wanted to. But your right I should try Protein shakes ect.
tardytortoise18/12/2019 09:04

see your GP in the new year

I did, they reffered me to physio, they gave me excercises to do to build the muscle up, but did not work, weeks of excercises, soon as I excercise bang injured for 4 days, sometimes makes no diffrence if 15 seconds sprint or a hour playing football. same occurs
Possibly ME or Fibromyalgia, get on the good ‘ol Google, loads of people seem to treat that like a Doctor nowadays don’t they?
wallzone18/12/2019 09:07

Possibly ME or Fibromyalgia, get on the good ‘ol Google, loads of people s …Possibly ME or Fibromyalgia, get on the good ‘ol Google, loads of people seem to treat that like a Doctor nowadays don’t they?

Hmm doubtful with both of those, when I don't excercise I feel 100%, only when excercise.
Gumbon18/12/2019 09:06

I did, they reffered me to physio, they gave me excercises to do to build …I did, they reffered me to physio, they gave me excercises to do to build the muscle up, but did not work, weeks of excercises, soon as I excercise bang injured for 4 days, sometimes makes no diffrence if 15 seconds sprint or a hour playing football. same occurs

I did, they reffered me to physio, they gave me excercises to do to build …I did, they reffered me to physio, they gave me excercises to do to build the muscle up, but did not work, weeks of excercises, soon as I excercise bang injured for 4 days, sometimes makes no diffrence if 15 seconds sprint or a hour playing football. same occurs

go back to GP and tell them
Gumbon18/12/2019 09:10

Hmm doubtful with both of those, when I don't excercise I feel 100%, only …Hmm doubtful with both of those, when I don't excercise I feel 100%, only when excercise.

Got back to your GP, tell them the issues is still ongoing and hasn’t got any better.

I don’t think you can really expect strangers on the internet to diagnose what’s wrong with you.
Well as I said good ‘ol Google and scare your self silly before going to see the Doctor to find out that it’s probably something and nothing, that is the other way people do things, so I’ve heard.
myusernamehasgone23418/12/2019 09:15

Got back to your GP, tell them the issues is still ongoing and hasn’t got a …Got back to your GP, tell them the issues is still ongoing and hasn’t got any better.I don’t think you can really expect strangers on the internet to diagnose what’s wrong with you.

At this point of giving up anything is better then the latter

I feel the gp don't find the issue serious and won't actually try and diagnose this as a impacting as it is

Posting here brought up the idea of protein before and after not something I thought about aswell so is worth asking
Edited by: "Gumbon" 18th Dec 2019
What do you eat during the spring, autumn and winter?
If your hamstrings are consistently sore then they need to build stronger. Try doing some stretches and consider going gym or getting some home weights

This exercise won’t fail to make them stronger along with eating more and keeping protein high

bodybuilding.com/exe…ift
Gumbon18/12/2019 09:18

At this point of giving up anything is better then the latterI feel the gp …At this point of giving up anything is better then the latterI feel the gp don't find the issue serious and won't actually try and diagnose this as a impacting as it isPosting here brought up the idea of protein before and after not something I thought about aswell so is worth asking

You can always change your GP
I cant actually help - sorry, but I guess a lot of people feel like you for 4 or 5 days before exercise
I went to the gym in 1992 and still feel rubbish nowXD
It could just be that you are trying to perform above your exercise level by pushing your body just a little bit too far at that stage and not properly giving it what it needs to recover from the exercise, namely lots of sleep, the right amount of carbohydrates and protein for the body to repair itself, and vitamins and minerals found in a balanced diet. You would also want to make sure that you are fuelling your body adequately in order to do the workouts. You may also be experiencing DOMS or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness from your exercise whereby your body will ache a couple of days after strenuous exercise if aren't allowing yourself to recover properly from your workouts. Try lowering the intensity and/or frequency of your workouts for a little while and build yourself up to them, use some protein powder to help your muscles repair, build, and grow, look at your macronutrients, and above all, get plenty of sleep.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 18th Dec 2019
Do you warm up properly and cool down/stretch afterwards? Sounds like you might need to up the calories too. Maybe try pre workouts/protein shakes.
Could be a number of things. It will take some time for you to understand what it is, you need to listen to your body. Like others have said, it may well be DOMS, nutrition, not enough sleep, lack of protein. If you’re not already i’d start eating more fresh produce especially of the dark variety. Things like spinach, broccli, red grapes, pomegranets etc. You also need to look at muscle imbalances, theres loadsa great PTs on youtube and insta who you could follow. Tight hamstrings dont necessarily mean the issue is in that area, i would most definitely look at strengthening the glutes, releasing tightness in hips and lower back, work on strengthening hips and lower back and look at your posture and core.
Dear internet. I read on Facebook that doctors aren't real, so I'm prepared to take advice from random anonymous strangers.
Yours gullibly, Brit.

Ps, thanks for telling me not to vaccinate against measles.
Edited by: "Erudite" 18th Dec 2019
Are you warming up/down properly? that would help with the hamstring. If you're going straight into actibve football without any warm upo then you're asking for trouble
not sure if this helps

nhs.uk/liv…se/
Join a gym and let them set your work out, if you still feel bad speak to them they will have the knowledge...
Water.

30 minutes execsise a day. (Gentle to medium) I use a roger black exercise bike.
water.
1 litre morning 1litre afternoon.

i have chrones and rheumatoid arthritis. It works for me.

no booze.
Recovery time is most important for your body after exercise rest intill you feel good again otherwise exercise on a muscle thats not recovered fully will just result in pain aches and feeling more tired
Sounds like Lupus to me. But then you could make a case for alot of things.
Haircut_10018/12/2019 10:06

It could just be that you are trying to perform above your exercise level …It could just be that you are trying to perform above your exercise level by pushing your body just a little bit too far at that stage and not properly giving it what it needs to recover from the exercise, namely lots of sleep, the right amount of carbohydrates and protein for the body to repair itself, and vitamins and minerals found in a balanced diet. You would also want to make sure that you are fuelling your body adequately in order to do the workouts. You may also be experiencing DOMS or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness from your exercise whereby your body will ache a couple of days after strenuous exercise if aren't allowing yourself to recover properly from your workouts. Try lowering the intensity and/or frequency of your workouts for a little while and build yourself up to them, use some protein powder to help your muscles repair, build, and grow, look at your macronutrients, and above all, get plenty of sleep.

I just feel as a healthy 23 year old I should be able to spontaneously do a 10 second Sprint or go for a kick about for an hour with my other 23 mates and not feel like I've been beaten for days
mas9918/12/2019 12:29

Are you warming up/down properly? that would help with the hamstring. …Are you warming up/down properly? that would help with the hamstring. If you're going straight into actibve football without any warm upo then you're asking for trouble

Always do above all the peers around me before we play
Go back to the doctor. Alternative, lots and lots of stretches, during the day and before, during and after running. Also, try not to run too fast and build a tolerance.
Protein shakes? Foam rollers? Nah .. gimmicks .. fruit n fibre? Personal fitness/ muscle imbalance/ nutrition.. It’s such a personal question that it simply can’t be answered properly somewhere like this
I refer you to Jeff Cavaliere
Edited by: "JumpMan1980" 19th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions