I had a rat in my ceiling last week....and...

Posted 5th Nov
I heard scratching about in my loft last week, i set traps, put bait and even called a pest controller round who put down some lethal stuff. A couple traps have been sprung, and the rat (i think it was one, ive never seen it just the dropping of which there isnt much). It has eaten ALL the bait however I can no longer hear scratching thank god! There doesn't seem to be any new droppings and its been 4 days since i heard anything and last night i went in the loft to see whats been going on.

So do you think its gone off to die somewhere outside my loft, i cant smell anything..Where is it , i was a bit disappointed not to see a dead body up there...
im getting wary that Ill start hearing noises again , i hope i dont!!!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I am having a similiar experience
There's a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna do?
Edited by: "fearona" 5th Nov
It's got a bad case of the trots.
It's already planning its next move.
38906672-TEJOv.jpg
23 Comments
The rat poison slowly infects them. There are usually more than one. Once they become really ill they go and sleep and die in Thier home/nest.
The others than eat the dead one and likewise die.
That's the theory anyway.
but where do they die. would i have seen it in the loft. its empty up there...and theres no where really for it to go.. i cant work it out
I am having a similiar experience
There's a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna do?
Edited by: "fearona" 5th Nov
fearona05/11/2019 10:18

I am having a similiar experience There's a rat in me kitchen what am I …I am having a similiar experience There's a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna do?

get hold of some romax!
fearona05/11/2019 10:18

I am having a similiar experience There's a rat in me kitchen what am I …I am having a similiar experience There's a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna do?

Don’t worry.. I’m gonna fix that rat is what I’m gonna do!!
i thought this was going to be a ghost story
sleepingwonder05/11/2019 10:15

but where do they die. would i have seen it in the loft. its empty up …but where do they die. would i have seen it in the loft. its empty up there...and theres no where really for it to go.. i cant work it out

It,most likely, went in search of water. I doubt that it strayed far from wherever it could sate its thirst.
Poor ratty is going to die a horrible death from haemorrhaging.
You should have kept it as a pet and made him a little car.

bbc.co.uk/new…812
Make.Amazon.Great.Again05/11/2019 10:31

It,most likely, went in search of water. I doubt that it strayed far from …It,most likely, went in search of water. I doubt that it strayed far from wherever it could sate its thirst.

so u think it left the loft to die outside?
chimp14uk05/11/2019 10:40

Poor ratty is going to die a horrible death from haemorrhaging.You should …Poor ratty is going to die a horrible death from haemorrhaging.You should have kept it as a pet and made him a little car.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50167812

i hope it got hit by a car
It's got a bad case of the trots.
It's already planning its next move.
38906672-TEJOv.jpg
Give the popular beat combo group UB40 a call.
They wrote a song dealing with their rodent infestation problem once.
I believe it gives detailed instructions on neutralising the target, which you might find useful.
Live and let live.
if you can't hear anything, it may have gone and died somewhere else. this is much better than it dying in your loft as then you have to dispose of its remains. it may have gone back to its nest and died there. as it has only been 4 days, the rat may have only died within the last couple of days so it may not yet give the rotten smell. you may smell this shortly if it has died hidden in the loft or somewhere else in the house.

if it got into the loft through an entrance then it may have gone back out through that entrance. once they eat the poison it makes them very thirsty so they would scarper to a source of water and hopefully that may be outside of your property.
mutley105/11/2019 11:43

if you can't hear anything, it may have gone and died somewhere else. …if you can't hear anything, it may have gone and died somewhere else. this is much better than it dying in your loft as then you have to dispose of its remains. it may have gone back to its nest and died there. as it has only been 4 days, the rat may have only died within the last couple of days so it may not yet give the rotten smell. you may smell this shortly if it has died hidden in the loft or somewhere else in the house.if it got into the loft through an entrance then it may have gone back out through that entrance. once they eat the poison it makes them very thirsty so they would scarper to a source of water and hopefully that may be outside of your property.

This is why you shouldn't use bait indoors, they can get in some really tight spots and your never find them, just smell them
sleepingwonder05/11/2019 10:15

but where do they die. would i have seen it in the loft. its empty up …but where do they die. would i have seen it in the loft. its empty up there...and theres no where really for it to go.. i cant work it out

If it could get in, it got out. The process of squeezing out of a tiny hole probably helped kill it too. Your best course of action is to locate the access point and block it, otherwise you may end up with regular "little visitors".
Ferris05/11/2019 13:01

If it could get in, it got out. The process of squeezing out of a tiny …If it could get in, it got out. The process of squeezing out of a tiny hole probably helped kill it too. Your best course of action is to locate the access point and block it, otherwise you may end up with regular "little visitors".

Are you saying you need to block his passage?

38908081-YdAp4.jpg
How can you be sure it was a rat if you haven't actually seen it. I had what I thought was a rat in the attic and it turned out to be a squirrel, blocked up the air vents with wire netting and it eventually chewed its way out through the fascia board. Wouldn't dream of using a rat trap anywhere indoors.
OP when this crud is put down you are mean to walk the perimiter of your property (outside) in case it came out to die, (they often do) for retrieval & disposal so it doesn't poison further along the wildlife chain! ..please do that!

Rats & mice climb walls, rats clime gutters (back to gutter,claws into brickwork).
you need to look at access points & block them with the likes of copper meshing scrunched into balls in gaps & under tiles (for instance).
jaketheplumber05/11/2019 13:24

How can you be sure it was a rat if you haven't actually seen it. I had …How can you be sure it was a rat if you haven't actually seen it. I had what I thought was a rat in the attic and it turned out to be a squirrel, blocked up the air vents with wire netting and it eventually chewed its way out through the fascia board. Wouldn't dream of using a rat trap anywhere indoors.

i dont know if it was a rat - i was hoping for a squirrel as theyre less gross.. but if it was a squirrel would it explain it not getting caught in at least 4 traps! my roof is right next to a tree...
Whatever it was, killing it is only a temporary solution. However it /they got in, is still open...

Just hope they weren't very popular or from a large family, or several hundred could turn up for the funeral.

You need to find the access and block it, especially as the worst weather is coming.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 5th Nov
sleepingwonder05/11/2019 14:19

i dont know if it was a rat - i was hoping for a squirrel as theyre less …i dont know if it was a rat - i was hoping for a squirrel as theyre less gross.. but if it was a squirrel would it explain it not getting caught in at least 4 traps! my roof is right next to a tree...

Squirrels tend to sit there and look at you I'm not joking either, unfortunately for them that's why they end up getting shot.
Edited by: "4Real2016" 5th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants