Groups

I hate my laptop,is it possible

to change to XP,had it since october and it has vista and because i dont like vista i tend not to use the laptop much, i prefer good old xp,can it be changed easily and how?

26 Comments

Should be afairly easy but you will need to backup your important files as everything will be lost.

You would need to purchase XP.. or get it by other means :pirate:

Original Poster

Titchimp;2917079

Should be afairly easy but you will need to backup your important files … Should be afairly easy but you will need to backup your important files as everything will be lost. You would need to purchase XP.. or get it by other means :pirate:

should it all still work properly with xp or will i be hunting the net for drivers to work?

Drivers should all be on the laptop manufacturers website.

Download them prior to a re-install and burn them to a CD/DVD or an external USB device.

Banned

it not that easy i been doing my mate for 2 days finaly got it sorted

make sure you back up your drivers

i didnt do that that where my problems started

Banned

PhearFactor;2917102

Drivers should all be on the laptop manufacturers website.Download them … Drivers should all be on the laptop manufacturers website.Download them prior to a re-install and burn them to a CD/DVD or an external USB device.

good thinking batman that wat i didnt do

Original Poster

danby jason;2917109

it not that easy i been doing my mate for 2 days finaly got it sorted … it not that easy i been doing my mate for 2 days finaly got it sorted make sure you back up your drivers i didnt do that that where my problems started

thats the bit that worries me lol

Might void the warranty, but seen as though you had it since October must be running out?

Original Poster

Naeem786;2917125

Might void the warranty, but seen as though you had it since October must … Might void the warranty, but seen as though you had it since October must be running out?

yes it had a year on it and in that time i must of used it for a whole 3 hours :oops: i just cant get on with vista!

its easy if you know what your doing. people can do it for you, at a cost obviously tho. but yes, can be done.

like people have said back up stuff... it caused me problems too.

Original Poster

if i sent it into a pc shop to be done how much would i be looking at?

give ubuntu a go - costs nowt.

danby jason;2917109

i been doing my mate for 2 days

ooo-err missus:whistling:

I would install XP for a free.... providing you bought xp and a 2.5inch to 3.5inch ide adapter and paid for postage both ways. (It'd be cheaper to send the HDD then to send the whole laptop

Original Poster

scrumpypaul;2917205

give ubuntu a go - costs nowt.

whats that?:?

Naeem786;2917125

Might void the warranty, but seen as though you had it since October must … Might void the warranty, but seen as though you had it since October must be running out?

Installing XP wouldn't void the warranty, the main problem in downgrading Vista to XP is driver support - more often laptop companies do not provide XP drivers which can be a real problem.

John

Original Poster

timothyw9;2917270

I would install XP for a free.... providing you bought xp and a 2.5inch … I would install XP for a free.... providing you bought xp and a 2.5inch to 3.5inch ide adapter and paid for postage both ways. (It'd be cheaper to send the HDD then to send the whole laptop

oh might have to have a think about your kind offer,the laptops nothing special,I bought it for days when my illness means im stuck in bed but just cant get on with it

Another option using VMWare vmware.com/pro…er/

It lets you "virtually" run XP, Linux etc on your Vista PC without losing anything, plus its free!

ubuntu is an open-source operating system.

free.

i put it on my laptop a few weeks ago after downloading it and putting it on a cd.

it's different but not impossible and if you're just wanting to surf, sen emails, do word processing or other simple stuff it is dead easy to use.

you can even just try it off the cd before installing it to see if you are happy with it.

worth a try. won't cost you anything and everything is reversible.

mardyass

if you want, pm me with your address, i'll run off an ubuntu cd for you with some brief instructions and pop it in the post for you in the next few days.

Which model laptop do you have?

As stated, the difficult thing about downgrading laptops are the availibility of XP drivers. Many manufacturers only post Vista drivers (as the laptop came pre-installed) on their websites. People went out of their ways to find / hack drivers for this very reason for my 12.1" Packard Bell, which I downgraded to XP as it was coming out of the DHL van. Being able to downgrade with the availibility of these drivers = major selling point for me at the time.

Original Poster

TGB;2917534

Which model laptop do you have?As stated, the difficult thing about … Which model laptop do you have?As stated, the difficult thing about downgrading laptops are the availibility of XP drivers. Many manufacturers only post Vista drivers (as the laptop came pre-installed) on their websites. People went out of their ways to find / hack drivers for this very reason for my 12.1" Packard Bell, which I downgraded to XP as it was coming out of the DHL van. Being able to downgrade with the availibility of these drivers = major selling point for me at the time.

its just a cheapy Hi Grade (catalogue job)

Original Poster

scrumpypaul;2917406

mardyassif you want, pm me with your address, i'll run off an ubuntu cd … mardyassif you want, pm me with your address, i'll run off an ubuntu cd for you with some brief instructions and pop it in the post for you in the next few days.

thankyou very very much pm sent:)

What exactly is it you don't like about vista?, reason I ask is because you can set vista up to look/act like xp as far as gui goes anyway.
    Try turning on classic windows theme in desktop/folder options/taskbar etc.
    I did it on a m8's machine when he had to change for dx10, don't think he's noticed he's on vista yet lol

Original Poster

maddogb;2917824

What exactly is it you don't like about vista?, reason I ask is because … What exactly is it you don't like about vista?, reason I ask is because you can set vista up to look/act like xp as far as gui goes anyway.Try turning on classic windows theme in desktop/folder options/taskbar etc. I did it on a m8's machine when he had to change for dx10, don't think he's noticed he's on vista yet lol

its the grouping windows(i always manage to shut the lot!)
    it takes ages to load up,i hate the big bubbly look,hate the way it always asks if i will confirm the action,it just drives me mad lol

Mardyass;2918702

its the grouping windows(i always manage to shut the lot!)it takes ages … its the grouping windows(i always manage to shut the lot!)it takes ages to load up,i hate the big bubbly look,hate the way it always asks if i will confirm the action,it just drives me mad lol

never found the load up time to be that much diff from xp tbh and UAC(the action confirming) can be turned off, look under control panel users.

Banned

Mardyass;2917162

if i sent it into a pc shop to be done how much would i be looking at?

Ill do it Where are you based?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game72844178
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?30114
      3. Show us your Photos 2017. August's Theme - Animals30400
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846282

See more discussions