I hate phones with a "notch" => Oppo Find X & Vivo Nex S?

Found 29th Jul
I'm in the market for a new phone but everywhere I look I see notch's (? ) and glass back phones/curved screens/IP68 waterproofing. Some of it's gimmicks, but I'm interested in what people think of these new Chinese and Indian phones with no notch and >90% screen to body ratio?

Some handy YouTube links to MKBHD:

Oppo Find X
Vivo Nex S

2999277-gMOE6.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
10 Comments
deleted912245
Oppo Find X seems a good phone! They aren't gimmicks they are what to expect on a premium phone, waterproof feature is great and im sure saved alot of people! Samsung S8 and S9 are great looking phones without the notch! I have the S8 cant fault it, brilliant phone!
The Vivo Nex S is the better buy, if you look at JerryRigEverything's durability test on the Oppo Find X, it breaks too easily and the camera isn't secure enough, whereas the Vivo Nex S is fine. Both are part of the same company as OnePlus.

Oppo is coming to the UK soon, might be worth waiting until then for warranty if you can.
The problem with Chinese owned phones is that unless it's for sale by a UK retailer, getting it repaired under warranty is a nightmare. Same with any sort of support. Honestly the best thing you can do is wait until next year. This is the year of the notch, next year will be the year of under-display tech like fingerprint readers. I'm not saying the tech isn't here now but it's not mainstream. If you are bothered by the notch, what are you looking for in a phone? Camera? Storage? Security?
Edited by: "aveaorganics" 29th Jul
noone wants a notch, but people put up with them and it seems you can often turn them off anyway
deleted91224529th Jul

They aren't gimmicks they are what to expect on a premium phone, …They aren't gimmicks they are what to expect on a premium phone, waterproof feature is great and im sure saved alot of people!

I couldn't agree more about the waterproofing! But glass backs really get to me I don't see the need for them, especially when a lot of phones don't have wireless charging.

jamie01529th Jul

JerryRigEverything's durability test on the Oppo Find X, it breaks too …JerryRigEverything's durability test on the Oppo Find X, it breaks too easily and the camera isn't secure enough, whereas the Vivo Nex S is fine. Both are part of the same company as OnePlus.Oppo is coming to the UK soon, might be worth waiting until then for warranty if you can.

Saw this test, and although it worried me a little I'm pretty careful with my phone. I'm a bit torn as to whether to wait for it to come to the UK tbh. Gearbest are selling the Oppo Find X for £666 for the red, whilst it looks like they may be entering UK market at RRP of $1000. But then that warranty ...

aveaorganics29th Jul

If you are bothered by the notch, what are you looking for in a phone? …If you are bothered by the notch, what are you looking for in a phone? Camera? Storage? Security?

I'm not really sure, right now I need a replacement for my OP3 as it's really not holding its charge as well as it used to. I'm really not a fan of Samsung phones, and although the OP6 is very nice, it has that notch which just bothers me a lot. Camera/Security/Storage aren't huge deals to me. Just looking for a very sleek device with a great screen that's easy in the hand and can handle some gaming.
0BS1D1AN36 m ago

I couldn't agree more about the waterproofing! But glass backs really get …I couldn't agree more about the waterproofing! But glass backs really get to me I don't see the need for them, especially when a lot of phones don't have wireless charging.Saw this test, and although it worried me a little I'm pretty careful with my phone. I'm a bit torn as to whether to wait for it to come to the UK tbh. Gearbest are selling the Oppo Find X for £666 for the red, whilst it looks like they may be entering UK market at RRP of $1000. But then that warranty ...I'm not really sure, right now I need a replacement for my OP3 as it's really not holding its charge as well as it used to. I'm really not a fan of Samsung phones, and although the OP6 is very nice, it has that notch which just bothers me a lot. Camera/Security/Storage aren't huge deals to me. Just looking for a very sleek device with a great screen that's easy in the hand and can handle some gaming.

I love the look of these two phones, they look really futuristic and I can't wait for them to arrive in the UK!
Be interesting to see what the Galaxy S10 and X bring with rumours of folding displays.

Personlly I do not mind the notch, I find it gives space to status icons without taking screen space.
brilly13 h, 30 m ago

noone wants a notch, but people put up with them and it seems you can …noone wants a notch, but people put up with them and it seems you can often turn them off anyway

How can you turn them off? It's a cut out of the screen for selfie camera?
mrty5 m ago

How can you turn them off? It's a cut out of the screen for selfie camera?

well what really happens is they black out the screen either side of the notch so you 'swap' notch for bezel (which is generally the current decision)
sure i saw one where the notifications still appeared on the black so it was still using that area it even though you didn't see the notch any more
My perfect phone combo would have to be oneplus 6 with Pixel 2 Camera, but then shrunk in size to a 5.2 inch form factor, not really fond of big phones. not much choice anymore
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants