Groups

I have 50GB mobile broadband with Vodafone (due to poor home broadband speeds) - does anyone know higher mobile broadband allowance and where from please?

Help! I run out of data every month! I've got a 20GB BT phone contract too but a combined 70GB is nothing when I game (updates) and netflix etc with it...

18 Comments

does bt not have any additional add on. extra data etc. maybe you should play less online.

I have very poor broadband speed and I was using my phone for a long time. I actually found it cheaper to get satellite broadband. Don't know if that would be something you could look at?

who are you with for home broadband? and what upto speeds are you paying for ? if you are not sure then maybe tell us your package details and hopefully someone can find out what speeds you should be getting and if you have a data cap. (not unlimited broadband) . based on that I'd complain to your broaband provider and/or look to switch. shouldnt be using your mobile data for gaming and it's uses a lot of data very quickly. maybe be you might be good to get a mobile wifi device and plan . You can get 50GB from Vodafone not checked other providers . but again this wouldn't last long . I would seriously consider getting better broadband . although I know a few people who are not in fibre and can game perfectly . usually its the router that comes from the isp which is poor for speeds and connection.
    Edited by: "HammadKhalil" 14th Jun

You might be better having a slow broadband also and scheduling updates overnight

Original Poster

Mick2692

I have very poor broadband speed and I was using my phone for a long … I have very poor broadband speed and I was using my phone for a long time. I actually found it cheaper to get satellite broadband. Don't know if that would be something you could look at?

This is interesting, thank you, i had not heard of satellite broadband, will look into that.

Original Poster

jb66

You might be better having a slow broadband also and scheduling updates … You might be better having a slow broadband also and scheduling updates overnight

We do have broadband too (also with BT) but due to our location (all nearby houses/ streets are in same boat) we get less than 1mbps. We are awaiting upgraded BT exchange tech but the years are rolling by.

Original Poster

HammadKhalil

who are you with for home broadband? and what upto speeds are you paying … who are you with for home broadband? and what upto speeds are you paying for ? if you are not sure then maybe tell us your package details and hopefully someone can find out what speeds you should be getting and if you have a data cap. (not unlimited broadband) . based on that I'd complain to your broaband provider and/or look to switch. shouldnt be using your mobile data for gaming and it's uses a lot of data very quickly. maybe be you might be good to get a mobile wifi device and plan . You can get 50GB from Vodafone not checked other providers . but again this wouldn't last long . I would seriously consider getting better broadband . although I know a few people who are not in fibre and can game perfectly . usually its the router that comes from the isp which is poor for speeds and connection.

The problem here is the local BT exchange/ hub - we get less than 1mbps - awaiting upgraded local exchange but works are still outstanding..

JumpMan1980

This is interesting, thank you, i had not heard of satellite broadband, … This is interesting, thank you, i had not heard of satellite broadband, will look into that.

​It's definitely more expensive (I pay around £60 a month) I was getting 0.6mbps and now I get 34mbps. The joys of living at the back of King's Lynn!

Original Poster

Mick2692

It's definitely more expensive (I pay around £60 a month) I was getting … It's definitely more expensive (I pay around £60 a month) I was getting 0.6mbps and now I get 34mbps. The joys of living at the back of King's Lynn!

Which company do you use please? Any advice you can offer, problems encountered, anything at all really!?

Mick2692

It's definitely more expensive (I pay around £60 a month) I was getting … It's definitely more expensive (I pay around £60 a month) I was getting 0.6mbps and now I get 34mbps. The joys of living at the back of King's Lynn!

We have 100GB Radio (Dish) - not satellite - broadband. Depends on what is available in your area. Ours is with CallFlow Solutions. For this, they have to installed something in almost line of sight of your house, so it is very area specific.
    Edited by: "Firefly1" 14th Jun

Original Poster

Firefly1

We have 100GB Radio (Dish) - not satellite - broadband. Depends on what … We have 100GB Radio (Dish) - not satellite - broadband. Depends on what is available in your area. Ours is with CallFlow Solutions. For this, they have to installed something in almost line of sight of your house, so it is very area specific.

Thanks to you also, very grateful, will look into this as well as satellite!

JumpMan1980

Which company do you use please? Any advice you can offer, problems … Which company do you use please? Any advice you can offer, problems encountered, anything at all really!?

avonlinebroadband.com

This is the company I use.

For advice, I guess I'd make sure the area the dish is installed I'd clear, don't want any obstruction or you'll get a weaker signal. And when there is a storm the internet is not great, other than that it's just the price that puts people off

Mick2692

​http://avonlinebroadband.com This is the company I use. For advice, I g … ​http://avonlinebroadband.com This is the company I use. For advice, I guess I'd make sure the area the dish is installed I'd clear, don't want any obstruction or you'll get a weaker signal. And when there is a storm the internet is not great, other than that it's just the price that puts people off

​Also forgot to mention, between 1am-7am uploads/downloads don't count towards your data limit so it's perfect for downloading games.

Original Poster

Mick2692

Also forgot to mention, between 1am-7am uploads/downloads don't count … Also forgot to mention, between 1am-7am uploads/downloads don't count towards your data limit so it's perfect for downloading games.

I am looking into this right now. Sincere thanks for your time and all info - you have told me something I did not know after years of putting up with slow speeds. Thank you!

JumpMan1980

I am looking into this right now. Sincere thanks for your time and all … I am looking into this right now. Sincere thanks for your time and all info - you have told me something I did not know after years of putting up with slow speeds. Thank you!

​No worries. I understand the pain of ultra slow internet!

Are there any BT wi-fi hotspots near you ? as a BT mobile customer you get free wi-fi and you can tether.

I'm in same boat. EE do a 100gb package for £75 but £67.50 for existing customers. The problem with satellite is latency. If you game online, the time it takes to download the data you requested is significantly longer, i.e. a delay. Vodafone do 50gb for £30 but £21 if you have access to vodafone advantage. You can also get a dual or multi wan router that can run traditional adsl alongside 4g. They have a USB port for the USB dongle and you access the Internet via traditional means, I.e. WiFi in the home.

Home satellite broadband is not suitable for most online gaming because they use geostationary satellites 36,000km above the equator. As you can imagine the ping is rather higher than the few hundred miles to Europe or the couple of thousand to North America.

It's fine for downloading patches, but it would have to be an additional connection rather than a direct replacement.

What sort of speeds do you get over landline? Is it not viable to download overnight?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions