I have a cocker spaniel who is 8 month old and is chewing everything she gets her mouth on, any suggestions on what I could use to stop her

DOG CHEWING

20 Comments

A foot up its ar$£ oO

Edited by: "ding" 7th Mar

Original Poster

Haha I think I'd get in trouble for that

boil some water and add ground black pepper. Once it has cooled, brush onto her usual bite spots. She will associated the taste with chewing and it might help to stop her.

boil some water and add ground black pepper. Once it has cooled, brush onto her usual bite spots. She will associated the taste with chewing and it might help to stop her.

Walk her more, give frozen carrots if still teething. Destructive chewing is more stress/boredom unfortunately, just the cons of having a working dog.

you can buy stop chewing spray - it sometimes works. You need to concentrate on offering alternatives to chew as well though, filled kong toys are good, deer antlers etc

Please don't take offence to the following..

I've got two Springer spaniels and have come across this when they were younger.

Most of the time, they do it out of boredom or being left alone for long periods, spaniels in particular need lots of attention and exercise, are you walking your dog enough?

My dogs did it for lack of excersise, my own fault (broke my foot). so arranged someone else to walk then whilst I got better.

just a suggestion..

The thing to remember is dogs can't remember what you tell them off for, so you have to break the cycle by rewards and positive action rather than correction and punishment. Something like this is good. It gives the dog it's own 'possession' and rewards chewing it's own possession. The dog will soon realise the benefits of chewing its own toy , not your shoes.
petplanet.co.uk/pro…PwQ

My vet told me to buy 30 toys and, whenever my dog was chewing something of mine, to distract him with a toy. The best toys for strong chewers are kong branded, different sizes and shapes are available, mine adores his kong classic, I can be primed with a teaspoon of peanut butter and he will play vigorously with that for 15 minutes then have a snooze! Buy a good quality dry "small bite" dog food and, instead of putting it in a bowl for easy access, put it in a food dispenser ball. Best of luck.

Edited by: "lynmcf" 7th Mar

lynmcf

My vet told me to buy 30 toys and, whenever my dog was chewing something … My vet told me to buy 30 toys and, whenever my dog was chewing something of mine, to distract him with a toy. The best toys for strong chewers are kong branded, different sizes and shapes are available, mine adores his kong classic, I can be primed with a teaspoon of peanut butter and he will play vigorously with that for 15 minutes then have a snooze! Buy a good quality dry "small bite" dog food and, instead of putting it in a bowl for easy access, put it in a food dispenser ball. Best of luck.

​ why 30 toys lol that seems excessive

Yes lots of toys, a decent size chew bone and the kind of attention that takes their mind of chewing. It's a good idea to make it chew bones in only one place like where their bed area. Almost all dogs chew till well over a year old. Our is not so bad now but the was a time when he would sneak books form the bookcase one by one and rip out the pages over night. As he slowed down he became more sneaky, one time casually walking past me and picking up my sdcard I had placed on the coffee table while working. He now only really rips up tissues for some reason.

As a long time dog owner the usual things that cause a dog to chew are, boredom, doesn't like being left alone, teeth trouble, the latter is probably the least likely but you should check it out, the first two are normally the ones that need addressing, they take time and patience, there is no quick easy fix, there are various old school remedies and new ideas like sprays etc but they either don't work or have limited success, as I have already said time and patience are the only things I have found that work eventually.

I used vicks vaporub on furniture or anything I didn't want my Cocker Spaniel to chew. The smell use to stop her going anywhere near it and made her sneeze. But if your Cocker tries to lick it, don't use it. Hope this helps.

Not getting enough mental stimulation, antlers and marrow bones.
Move to cage right away if you have one, of not get one.
Think you're just going to have get tougher with her to be honest. she's old enough now to know better, still try all the suggestions further up re mental stimulation but really get on at her, if you catch him really growl at her until he knows you mean it.
She at an age finding her feet and trying her luck.
Have you thought of clicker? also pippa mattinson book called the happy puppy get that

Try buying it a deer antler or buffalo horn from Amazon. Lasts for months and helps with teething

Could be teething, the molars come through at 8 to 10 months, give her hard chew toys and frozen carrots and ice cubes, or wet a flannel and freeze it for her to chew on

A few ideas to help keep your four-legged friend amused:
Kongs are great & my lab is nearly 2 and still has a Kong every night - I soak some of her dry food in hot water for about an hour, mash it up and stuff it in the Kong then that goes in the freezer every morning. Give it to her in the evening and although it only takes her about 10 minutes to get through now, it did last longer when she was younger!
Another cheap option I used to keep her amused with was insides of used loo rolls/small rolls of cardboard - just put a treat/piece of her food in, folded the ends down and let her have fun ripping the cardboard to get the 'prize'!
The last cheap one we still use is a treat ball (The Range sell them for less then £2!). Chop up a carrot (a nice 'heathy' treat!!) into small cubes, put them in the ball and let your dog roll the ball around to get the treats.
A slightly more expensive past time for my lab is de-stuffing soft toys - if they have a squeaker in then the game for her seems to be to try & get the squeaker out. I buy cheap soft toys from charity shops & stock up on dog toys with squeakers whenever supermarkets etc have a clearance. BUT while your dog is so young you will need to monitor this game so that he/she DOESN'T swallow the button eyes/ears/squeakers from the toys - hopefully your little one will be like my loopy lab and just enjoy the destuffing process!!
Hope this helps and good luck - I am sure you will find something to keep your Spaniel's teeth occupied!

Original Poster

Thank you very much everyone, my dogs get lots of time outside as I'm surrounded by fields she we are constantly out in them, by the sounds of it I'll have to get one of these kings and give it a try, thanks again

I bought this and only had to use it on one piece of furniture, she soon stopped chewing!

amazon.co.uk/Gra…ray

Get some Nina Ottosson toys, they're great at keeping the dog's mind going for a while.

Kong toys are amazing.

Deer antlers are just superb - even my older dog who isn't a chewer loves a good gnaw on one every day! They're totally natural and although seemingly expensive, they last forever (2 years on despite daily chomping the ones I got my dogs are not too far off the size when I got them!).

And the weirdest thing which my dog ADORES but I hide away when guests come amazon.co.uk/Nyl…toy Even now my dog is nearly 2, she goes and finds this toy every day and plays with it. She won't stop searching until she's found it and then she chucks it in the air, rolls on it, chews it and parades around with it like it's very very special to her.
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 9th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Iptv810
    2. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy33
    3. Random messages from a Mod called CUZZY33
    4. Where has the Freebies section gone ?23

See more discussions