I have a computer question!

We have a new Dell laptop and the microsoft works and office trial has run out. So we have tried to activate it with the product key given with the lappie but still not working.

Any ideas please as i'm a bit clueless

Thanks x

25 Comments

where did you find the product key?

Is it the same version? you might have a home and student key but trying to use it for a standard version.

check your pm's

Do you actually have a key for MS Office & not just a key for the OS?

Are you sure you have a product key for the full thing? Its probably a 'trial' as it is just that - a 3 month trial version...

There's always ]open office (for free!)...

Are you sure that Microsoft Works is only a trial? Most computer companies put it on for free and you only have to activate it. If not, then buy a copy off Ebay (few quid usually), cheaper than buying a key.

Original Poster

Product key ive tried to use is with the disc it came with -
microsoft works 9.0
microsoft office home and student 2007 trial

most times the software that comes on a lappy is that trial so the key will be for a trial to activate it you will either need to buy a key or try ringing microsoft and ask them to check the keys you got

The product key on the laptop will be for the operating system, most likely. Works was probably supplied only as a trial copy (check your Dell quote to be sure), and you'll have to pay if you want to keep using it in that case.

So the key should work with Works but Office is just a trial version...

theres your answer microsoft office home and student 2007 trial they put a trial version not the full version

Original Poster

Predikuesi;5438035

Are you sure that Microsoft Works is only a trial? Most computer … Are you sure that Microsoft Works is only a trial? Most computer companies put it on for free and you only have to activate it. If not, then buy a copy off Ebay (few quid usually), cheaper than buying a key.

Yeah just a trial which i didnt even know about! I would have thought they put the proper thing on :?

the key i sent you is for office 2007, works with all versions

wickedteen;5438077

the key i sent you is for office 2007, works with all versions

This isn't really the place to be giving out illegal product keys...

Original Poster

dxx;5438051

The product key on the laptop will be for the operating system, most … The product key on the laptop will be for the operating system, most likely. Works was probably supplied only as a trial copy (check your Dell quote to be sure), and you'll have to pay if you want to keep using it in that case.

Key was on the trial disc - thats a bit pants then! Dont want to have to pay :thumbsup:

its not a illegal serial number, its of my one that i no longer use and have no wish of selling, so he can use it with my consent.

Original Poster

wickedteen;5438113

its not a illegal serial number, its of my one that i no longer use and … its not a illegal serial number, its of my one that i no longer use and have no wish of selling, so he can use it with my consent.

She :thumbsup:

Thanks xx

sorry, SHE, lol, i take it works now.

Original Poster

Nope says invalid key

wickedteen;5438113

its not a illegal serial number, its of my one that i no longer use and … its not a illegal serial number, its of my one that i no longer use and have no wish of selling, so he can use it with my consent.

If you say so - can't imagine many situations where that might arise - or where it would pass Microsofts EULA - but its your risk...

Download ]openoffice if you don't want to pay for Office 2007 or install an illegal copy. It's free and is similar to MS Office 2003

dont matter it didnt work anyhow

Banned

ring dell! support is there for a reason.

you'll have to pay for ms office (about £150-£300 unless you are a student).

use openoffice instead. MS works will then be irrelevant

Works is pants anyway, and office trial is also fairly carp.

Go out and buy the suite, or borrow an office 2000 install disc off someone :P Can't go wrong with office 2k

Failing that, as mentioned OpenOffice is a free office suite which will do pretty much what MS Office does, and is compatible with MS Office.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice guys - i will do the rep thing later xxx

Banned

You can download the correct version trial from the internet, then use your product key to validate it.

Check on the microsoft website, make sure you have removed the version you have first though
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. GOT Leaks again715
    2. How much would you pay for this chair?1517
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764096
    4. How dangerous is Donald trump?68

See more discussions