Groups

I have a dual core 1.6ghz desktop (used as a 2nd computer) but i want to install a graphics and sound card

I have opened up the computer there seem to be lots of free ports but i dont know which one is for which, please help
    ps I am just after some cheap cards from ebay etc, so costs will not be a lot

19 Comments

can u post a pic of the pc with the side off, i'll try and help

Well the large black connector is a PCI-e x16 slot, the small black port is a PCI-e x1 slot (not used) and the 2 white ones are PCI slots.

What do you want the graphics card and sound cards for?

garbage456;5236327

well i know they sell on ebay for just a few quid, i was going to sell … well i know they sell on ebay for just a few quid, i was going to sell this and buy a slightly better one, but looking on ebay i thought i would give it a trysound card needed as there is nothing on the computer at the moment for sound.G card needed to hopefully speed up computer and to enable stand by mode.

Well any PCI sound card will do an old sound blaster one will be fine.

Well any PCI-e x16 GPU will help, may be look out for one that has onboard video decoding like Ati 2400, 2600 or 3450 series cards. If you want it for gaming and cheap look for a 7900GT.

garbage456;5236329

what do you mean by not used?

PCI-e x1 slot will be active just nothing of any great importance was ever made to use it.

just got my lazy ass up and you are all sorted lol

garbage456;5236329

what do you mean by not used?

PCI Express x1 is used by sound cards, TV tuners, wifi adapters and other devices. Your PCI x1 slot is most certainly not redundant and if you upgrade your sound card, a PCI x1 version rather than a PCI version because it allows the communications of the devices in your computer to operate more efficiently. With PCI, a device has to wait before another PCI device has given it the signal that it is free. PCI Express devices uses a network of lanes for simultaneous data transfer.

i have a sound card for sale and other computer stuff that might interest you:

hotukdeals.com/ite…u-s

garbage456;5236327

G card needed to hopefully speed up computer and to enable stand by mode.

If you're running XP then a new graphics card is unlikely to do much except for things which explicitly use it (i.e. games and other 3d programs), if you're running vista and have the transparent effects turned on then it might help there (at most by as much as turning them off).

Does the computer have an older hard drive? That can cause it to feel slow.

garbage456;5279391

the graphics card doesnt workthe computer wont boot with it insound card … the graphics card doesnt workthe computer wont boot with it insound card works fine, although it is 3 cm higher than the desktop height , doh

You may need to turn off the onboard graphics on you bios. Will be an 'F' key or 'Delete' on boot up.

garbage456;5279637

looks like its f2, any idea of what menu item i need etc?

Not sure as don't know what motherboard you have. Just go through the menus and look for something like internal graphics or GPU on/off or enable/disable you should be able to find it. If there is no option then it should auto switch, but if its not its another problem.

GAVINLEWISHUKD;5279725

Not sure as don't know what motherboard you have. Just go through the … Not sure as don't know what motherboard you have. Just go through the menus and look for something like internal graphics or GPU on/off or enable/disable you should be able to find it. If there is no option then it should auto switch, but if its not its another problem.

If the graphics card isn't working then you won't see the bios.

If it does have onboard graphics and you've currently got a graphics card in it then pulling out the card should switch it automatically - likewise putting it a compatible card if you don't have one should turn the integrated graphics off automatically.

EndlessWaves;5279812

If the graphics card isn't working then you won't see the bios.If it does … If the graphics card isn't working then you won't see the bios.If it does have onboard graphics and you've currently got a graphics card in it then pulling out the card should switch it automatically - likewise putting it a compatible card if you don't have one should turn the integrated graphics off automatically.

No I think he is saying the onboard graphics is working but when he puts the graphics card in it fails to boot. Yes most auto switch but some older boards you had to manually switch like I did on an old MSI board.

Just checking you are moving the monitor cable from the motherboard socket to the video card socket when you plug it in?

Hook up the monitor to the integrated video port. The go into the Bios and change the video from onboard to PEG (PCI-Express). Save the Bios and exit. The screen will turn black. Turn the computer off. Connect the monitor to the PCI-Express card and turn back on.

So you have done this? If yes I'm guessing its one of 3 issues.

1) There are some jumpers that need setting on the motherboard (look in the manual if you have it)
    2) It's a power issue (try unhooking anything thats not used in boot up, eg DVD, second hard disk.)
    3) The graphics card is broken.

garbage456;5280895

still no luckwill the conflicts have anything to do with it?

Well try unplugging anything else thats in any pci slots?

what graphics card did you get?, some require an extra power connector directly to the card check for that.
    As for the conflict before installing new gfx card go into bios and disable your com2 will be under peripherals.
    might wanna post mainboard model up

garbage456;5280561

i got a conflict on my PCI devices similar to picture above stored under … i got a conflict on my PCI devices similar to picture above stored under otherethernetpcipci serialpci simpleSMVideo controller

Are you sure they're actual conflicts? Usually stuff is highlighted in the device manager simply because you haven't got the driver installed for it yet.

how many ports are on the new gfx card?. and what type vga+dvi or dvi+dvi and what cable are u using to connect with?
    EW ,an exclamation mark against a serial port will certainly be a conflict, windows needs no additional drivers for those

You need to disable onboard graphics to allow the new graphics card to work because both will share the PCI Express interface (although you say it is PCI earlier but I suspect it is actually PCI Express).

If you can download CPU-Z and run it to give a motherboard model number you can then download the relevant manual to give you details of how to disable onboard graphics within the BIOS (or you may have the printed manual which you can refer to). Alternatively, a few people here appear to be adept at using the BIOS (despite their verisimilitude on the actual diagnosis of the problem) so once you supply the motherboard model number they will help you as I don't have the time at the moment nor tomorrow.

maddogb;5284169

EW ,an exclamation mark against a serial port will certainly be a … EW ,an exclamation mark against a serial port will certainly be a conflict, windows needs no additional drivers for those

Given that appears to be a shot from windows 95(?) and this is a dual-core system I assume it's an example shot he grabbed off a search engine rather than an actual screenshot.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Speccing a gaming pc37
      2. help: windows 10 wifi issue55
      3. Best IPTV Paid service?1721
      4. advice needed on dumbell weight training please46

See more discussions