Expired

I have a sky contract but new Landlord wont allow a dish ?

Found 15th Aug 2013
Hi.

I am 6 month in a contract and have sky in my flat.
But I am moving to a new build house and the owner does not want any dishes on the house.

Do I still have to pay sky or will they let me out of the contract ?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskMobile PhoneSky
25 Comments
Stick it on a pole in the garden.
A contract may be discharged by frustration. A contract may be frustrated where there exists a change in circumstances, after the contract was made, which is not the fault of either of the parties, which renders the contract either impossible to perform or deprives the contract of its commercial purpose. Where a contract is found to be frustrated, each party is discharged from future obligations under the contract and neither party may sue for breach. The allocation of loss is decided by the Law Reform (Frustrated Contracts) Act 1943.

Remember to say that you were forced to move out of the flat and you didn't voluntarily do it.

**Disclaimer** I'm not a lawyer do your own research on this its my opinion not legal advice.
I doubt they will be interested but you never know...08442 414141

Landlords suck....
I can sort of understand it is brand new, so I cant blame him for not allowing a dish.

I am sure he will have to allow a future tenant, but as I am the first, its just unfortunate.

if they could do a pole that would be great, but cant see them doing that.

Thanks guys and gals
canada16

if they could do a pole that would be great, but cant see them doing … if they could do a pole that would be great, but cant see them doing that.

Poles are used a fair bit, ask I am sure they will accommodate for a price.
Is there not a communal dish or similar - or is it that all tenants are expected to run off fibre into the house?
I am now renting a Semi, so moving up in the world.. LOL

I dont mind not having sky TV as have so much to watch on my nas and netflix.

But my sky is only 35.00 per month, all shows except movies and sports, max bb and telephone and HD.
A dish on a pole does not have to much above ground level, as long as there is a clear line of sight to the satellite, no trees etc.
tell him its against your human rights to be refused seems to work for others when they cant get their own way...:D
Edited by: "longbowassassin" 15th Aug 2013
I can understand the landlord saying no it's there house and up to them.... people should ask these questions before signing contracts... or other option buy your own place and do what you want
sumo999

I can understand the landlord saying no it's there house and up to … I can understand the landlord saying no it's there house and up to them.... people should ask these questions before signing contracts... or other option buy your own place and do what you want

You still have restrictions when a owner.
some property deeds prohibits any changes to the appearance of the property and satellite dishes would do this if it had to be installed at the front of the building.

some councils don't allow satellite dishes on buildings either. you could call sky and ask.
My sister got hers on a pole when they fitted it as the council wouldn't allow one on top of the new cladding. Just ask them.
You can sit a dish on the ground as long as it has a clear view of the satellite. I have but I'm in the country.
I would cancel that contract with him, That just sums up what type of landlord he is. You should go elsewhere. I bet you dont get a deposit back when you move out either guaranteed! Funny thing is i bet he has a dish at his personal property! I would tell my landlord to go f*uck if he only allowed me to watch freeview while paying so much money.

Edited by: "S33PLE" 15th Aug 2013
S33PLE

I would cancel that contract with him, That just sums up what type of … I would cancel that contract with him, That just sums up what type of landlord he is. You should go elsewhere. I bet you dont get a deposit back when you move out either guaranteed! Funny thing is i bet he has a dish at his personal property! I would tell my landlord to go f*uck if he only allowed me to watch freeview while paying so much money.

As mentioned if its a new build its probably got it written in the deeds, most new builds do for a certain number of years
deanos

As mentioned if its a new build its probably got it written in the deeds, … As mentioned if its a new build its probably got it written in the deeds, most new builds do for a certain number of years

Fact is, there are lots of things in deeds that prohibit x, y or z - but who exactly enforces them?

For instance, mine said you can't cut down the trees, they're gone...
But if its a newbuild and houses are being built they will probably do something as it puts buyers off apparently , if builders have gone then they probably wont do anything
deanos

As mentioned if its a new build its probably got it written in the deeds, … As mentioned if its a new build its probably got it written in the deeds, most new builds do for a certain number of years

Really? I would be amazed if they put this in deeds for new builds, Murdoch would have a hissy fit.
Yeah its true
simply fit it the back of the garden on a pole. it common practice where the house is shaded by trees that the dish is fitted in the garden facing the satellite. or on top a shed. even better get ur wife to hold it up.
kash2013

simply fit it the back of the garden on a pole. it common practice where … simply fit it the back of the garden on a pole. it common practice where the house is shaded by trees that the dish is fitted in the garden facing the satellite. or on top a shed. even better get ur wife to hold it up.

She could hold the satellite pole with the other hand ..(_;)
To be fair you couldn't have carried the contract over anyway could you as it would be a new installation?

Phone sky and see what they say, if they say you have to pay until the end of your contract write a letter of complaint about how disappointed you are and they will probably release you from the contract as a gesture of goodwill.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants