Groups

I have an interview tomorrow...

for a network analyst position. Any tips on what potential questions I may get? More importantly, what questions I should ask? I also have to give a presentation.
    This will be my first job out of uni (although I don't finish til September), and really want to get it!

Help and advice very much appreciated.

15 Comments

Banned

Expect it to be extremely technical. Look at the job description closely and make sure you know as much as possible about those areas identified as necessary for the role.

Don't be afraid to say you don't know, but give examples of how you would find out.

They'll know if you're bull****ing, and will catch you out - thats my biggest tip

Original Poster

master_chief;8940755

Expect it to be extremely technical. Look at the job description closely … Expect it to be extremely technical. Look at the job description closely and make sure you know as much as possible about those areas identified as necessary for the role.

Have already done that, and did research into various areas. I reckon I have a reasonable knowledge, I am just worried as it is not a specific 'graduate role'

Banned

I overheard a chap having an interview via his laptop a few weeks ago in a bar.
    The questions, and his responses, made me think it was a techie networking type job.

By the sounds of it, they gave him a load of scenarios and asked how he would deal with each one.

Not sure that helps, but I guess problem solving would be top of the list.

Banned

A lot depends on if it's a graduate they're looking for or not.

The ability to communicate well is fairly key these days in any IT position. You should be as comfortable talking in a technical manner to technical staff as well as being able to adapt your language for non-technical staff/clients.

Original Poster

razord;8940794

Don't be afraid to say you don't know, but give examples of how you would … Don't be afraid to say you don't know, but give examples of how you would find out.They'll know if you're bull****ing, and will catch you out - thats my biggest tip

Cool, thanks for the advice :thumbsup:
    JonnyTwoToes;8940806

I overheard a chap having an interview via his laptop a few weeks ago in … I overheard a chap having an interview via his laptop a few weeks ago in a bar.The questions, and his responses, made me think it was a techie networking type job.By the sounds of it, they gave him a load of scenarios and asked how he would deal with each one.Not sure that helps, but I guess problem solving would be top of the list.

Well, the presentation is 'a recent networking job i have completed', but being fresh out of uni, I am taking an example from one of my projects, so I reckon that area is covered. But again, thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

Banned

spic;8940802

Have already done that, and did research into various areas. I reckon I … Have already done that, and did research into various areas. I reckon I have a reasonable knowledge, I am just worried as it is not a specific 'graduate role'

Ah that answers my question about it being a graduate position or not. You're going to have to dazzle them if you have no job experience. You need to show how you can take the theory you know and put it into practice.

As mentioned by JTT, scenarios will come up. You ever done the Transcender exams? I've actually had a couple of interviews where they used actual questions from there. So you have a few lines of scenario and a problem at the end.

I wish you luck as you're going to need it.

Original Poster

master_chief;8940841

Ah that answers my question about it being a graduate position or not. … Ah that answers my question about it being a graduate position or not. You're going to have to dazzle them if you have no job experience. You need to show how you can take the theory you know and put it into practice.As mentioned by JTT, scenarios will come up. You ever done the Transcender exams? I've actually had a couple of interviews where they used actual questions from there. So you have a few lines of scenario and a problem at the end.I wish you luck as you're going to need it.

I have not... What sort of scenarios do they cover?

Thanks for the luck, I really do think I will need it

spic;8940858

I have not... What sort of scenarios do they cover? Thanks for the luck, … I have not... What sort of scenarios do they cover? Thanks for the luck, I really do think I will need it

hey dude, have some self belief and confidence (but not arrogance). I'm a contractor so have to do interviews every few months on average, cliched as it is, you just have to do your best, my golden rule is not to bullsh*t as you will more often than not fall on your face and look a plonker, just try and stay relaxed, dont rush your words, and convey the knowledge (if not industry experience) that you have...

... good luck. ;-)

Original Poster

dt_matthews;8942173

hey dude, have some self belief and confidence (but not arrogance). I'm a … hey dude, have some self belief and confidence (but not arrogance). I'm a contractor so have to do interviews every few months on average, cliched as it is, you just have to do your best, my golden rule is not to bullsh*t as you will more often than not fall on your face and look a plonker, just try and stay relaxed, dont rush your words, and convey the knowledge (if not industry experience) that you have...... good luck. ;-)

Thanks very much, yeah, not gonna bother with lying about anything, as you always get found out in the end. Just going to hope I do OK in the presentation, and that I can convey my knowledge reasonably well.

Original Poster

Just a quick update for you guys who commented, I got the job! Thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated!

congratz!

well done
    http://www.wondercliparts.com/new_job/new_job_graphics_04.gif

Original Poster

numptyj

congratz!

michelleleemoo

well done

Thanks guys!

Well done!
    Post a comment
    @