I have Asthma and have the flu jab every year.Should I be self isolating?

Posted 25th Mar
I know there’s loads of info on this but I can’t seem to find a definitive answer.
I suffer from asthma.I regularly (about once every couple of months) have a course is steroids and sometimes antibiotics.I contracted the Swine flu several years ago and was in isolation for 5 days.I have the flu jab every year.I work in a multi manned office environment but can’t work from home.My work place is ok with me self isolating but do I fall into the category of this 12 weeks isolation?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I’m asthmatic, been in icu twice, multiple asthmas attacks and admissions. I haven’t received a letter and I work in a pharmacy. I’m carrying on for as long as I can help others.
scorpio.iscariot25/03/2020 20:14

I DID speak to my GP the other day and he said it was advisable that I …I DID speak to my GP the other day and he said it was advisable that I stay at home because of the large amounts of courses of Prednisolone I have and the side effect that it lowers my immunity

Then do it
If your not sure do it anyway - anybody who might have too should if they can, stay safe.
35 Comments
Didn’t they contact everyone in the 12 week category?
_Whatever_25/03/2020 19:57

Didn’t they contact everyone in the 12 week category?

I haven’t had a letter but this advice was issued before the letter announcement anyway...I think
I’m asthmatic, been in icu twice, multiple asthmas attacks and admissions. I haven’t received a letter and I work in a pharmacy. I’m carrying on for as long as I can help others.
I'm asthmatic and not had a letter. Last I heard they said severe asthma. What they mean by that I'm not sure. Perhaps brittle asthma
scorpio.iscariot25/03/2020 19:59

I haven’t had a letter but this advice was issued before the letter a …I haven’t had a letter but this advice was issued before the letter announcement anyway...I think

I know people who have been contacted by either text or a letter to advise them they are high risk and should self isolate for various time frames
If your not sure do it anyway - anybody who might have too should if they can, stay safe.
I DID speak to my GP the other day and he said it was advisable that I stay at home because of the large amounts of courses of Prednisolone I have and the side effect that it lowers my immunity
scorpio.iscariot25/03/2020 20:14

I DID speak to my GP the other day and he said it was advisable that I …I DID speak to my GP the other day and he said it was advisable that I stay at home because of the large amounts of courses of Prednisolone I have and the side effect that it lowers my immunity

Then do it
I got the text. They told me to stay in for 12 weeks, but graciously said I could open a window. Hanging the washing out is going to be fun.
From what you have said, you seem to be worse off than me physically.
bogglebrain25/03/2020 20:21

I got the text. They told me to stay in for 12 weeks, but graciously said …I got the text. They told me to stay in for 12 weeks, but graciously said I could open a window. Hanging the washing out is going to be fun.From what you have said, you seem to be worse off than me physically.

I’m just so confused.Before the letter was announced it was advised that anybody who receives the free flu jab each year are the ones who should stay at home.But does the letter supersede that advice now? i.e. If you get the flu jab but have NOT got a letter are you supposed to go back to work
This is a joke thread right?

People need to use common sense..

if you you don’t think you need to stay in go out. I don’t think it will be a great loss..
scorpio.iscariot25/03/2020 20:27

I’m just so confused.Before the letter was announced it was advised that a …I’m just so confused.Before the letter was announced it was advised that anybody who receives the free flu jab each year are the ones who should stay at home.But does the letter supersede that advice now? i.e. If you get the flu jab but have NOT got a letter are you supposed to go back to work

Just follow your GP's advice until you hear differently.
You should stay at home, the letter is for the ones are considered very high risk people on chemo, imuno suppressed, transplant pt's ect ect. It basically informs them of the immediate risk to their life & has helplines to access food meds ect. As they mean for them to not leave the house for those 12 weeks.
But the advice to all who received the flu jab for medical reasons to self isolate for 12 weeks. Only going out if you have no one who can help you with shopping ect.
theguardian.com/wor…eks I presume you will be getting a letter soon. You should be enquiring about your rights re. employment. The lowering of my immune system was the only thing that really set me on edge during my cancer treatment. I had plenty of warnings from the consultants about how it would be hard to fight off infections during that time.
You stay at Home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just make sure you get your rescue pack from the gp
Yes is the answer!

Not everyone on the list has had their letter yet; I’m immunocompromised due to strong steroid medication but since I haven’t had post for 5 days I’ve received no letter....but no doubt it will arrive soon.
Scotland131425/03/2020 20:46

You stay at Home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL... It couldn't be simpler... But apparently it's so complicated for everyone.

The point is... No matter how healthy you are you could give it to countless others who have conditions...

EVERYONE is to SELF ISOLATE to protect EVERYONE ELSE.

Why did the housing stock market crash happen... Cos Everyone thought they were the only one playing the system.
as far as i understand the letters are only sent to very severe cases so only to those with very severe asthma. not only were the letters sent out, text messages were sent even before then so anyone whom their GP deemed to fall into this group should have received the letter or text message by now I think as the tv news clips already showed the NHS volunteers delivering food to these 1.5m as they get food delivery from the NHS.

if you haven't received the letter then your GP had not identified you as falling into the shield group as the GPs are the ones telling the NHS who belongs to this group and they are the ones who has your mobile phone number for the text messages.

however anyone with asthma, even if it is not severe, is in a higher risk category as that is a respiratory condition and covid 19 attacks the lungs. it is therefore recommended that as you fall into the higher risk group that you take even more precautions than others, in a similar way to anyone with underlying health condition or who is elderly. i saw an article which states elderly means anyone over 60.
I would stay in. I lost my mum last month, she had Asthma which made her more prone to the likes of pneumonia which further damaged her lungs eventually leading to her death. It’s not worth the risk so please consider staying in if you can.
Ive been asthmatic all my 28 years of life. On immunosuppressant therapy since last summer. Got a text and letter telling me to stay indoors for 12 weeks. Unsure if its because im asthmatic or if its the immunosuppressants
mutley125/03/2020 22:58

as far as i understand the letters are only sent to very severe cases so …as far as i understand the letters are only sent to very severe cases so only to those with very severe asthma. not only were the letters sent out, text messages were sent even before then so anyone whom their GP deemed to fall into this group should have received the letter or text message by now I think as the tv news clips already showed the NHS volunteers delivering food to these 1.5m as they get food delivery from the NHS.if you haven't received the letter then your GP had not identified you as falling into the shield group as the GPs are the ones telling the NHS who belongs to this group and they are the ones who has your mobile phone number for the text messages.however anyone with asthma, even if it is not severe, is in a higher risk category as that is a respiratory condition and covid 19 attacks the lungs. it is therefore recommended that as you fall into the higher risk group that you take even more precautions than others, in a similar way to anyone with underlying health condition or who is elderly. i saw an article which states elderly means anyone over 60.

Well they’ve forgotten me then as my asthma is severe......
Easy answer yes, it's easy to find out just look at the governments at risk list.
Bargainhead25/03/2020 20:30

This is a joke thread right? People need to use common sense.. if you you …This is a joke thread right? People need to use common sense.. if you you don’t think you need to stay in go out. I don’t think it will be a great loss..

Great loss to those who are infected by this person going out.

You comment is not sensible.
If you get the flu jab annually due to health care recommendations. Then STAY in the house.
The advice is clear.

The flu jab is to keep you safe from respiratory tract infections every year. This one is a level or 10 above that.
aturner12326/03/2020 05:15

Ive been asthmatic all my 28 years of life. On immunosuppressant therapy …Ive been asthmatic all my 28 years of life. On immunosuppressant therapy since last summer. Got a text and letter telling me to stay indoors for 12 weeks. Unsure if its because im asthmatic or if its the immunosuppressants

when did you receive the letter and the text message? did the text message come even before the letter? the news clip said the text message would do as the letter has to go in the post, whereas the text message is instant.
ndyanem26/03/2020 06:41

Well they’ve forgotten me then as my asthma is severe......

i think it depends on the severity. i don't know what would be deemed serious enough for this shielding from the NHS. but i believe that anyone with asthma is recommended to take exteme precaution. here is information for anyone with asthma

thesun.co.uk/new…on/
rimalpatel00726/03/2020 08:17

Great loss to those who are infected by this person going out. You comment …Great loss to those who are infected by this person going out. You comment is not sensible.

Pmsl, look up sarcasm..
mutley126/03/2020 10:13

i think it depends on the severity. i don't know what would be deemed …i think it depends on the severity. i don't know what would be deemed serious enough for this shielding from the NHS. but i believe that anyone with asthma is recommended to take exteme precaution. here is information for anyone with asthmahttps://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11194893/asthma-coronavirus-symptoms-nhs-self-isolation/

I think mine would be classed as server. Infact it’s was known as brittle type 2
ndyanem26/03/2020 19:29

I think mine would be classed as server. Infact it’s was known as brittle t …I think mine would be classed as server. Infact it’s was known as brittle type 2

if it's brittle I wouldn't be risking it. Far too dangerous
psychobitchfromhell26/03/2020 19:39

if it's brittle I wouldn't be risking it. Far too dangerous

Well unless there is a letter I will keep ploughing on until I’m told to stop
ndyanem26/03/2020 19:41

Well unless there is a letter I will keep ploughing on until I’m told to s …Well unless there is a letter I will keep ploughing on until I’m told to stop

be very very careful. That could kill you
Just an update.I spoke to somebody at my GP surgery and she told me that this whole “letter” thing is for those with the most severe underlying issues such as chemo,heart transplants etc.These people are to be instructed NOT to leave the house under ANY circumstances.But the 12 weeks isolation STILL stands with those who have other underlying conditions such as asthma,diabetes etc.Only difference is these people CAN go out under the restrictions like everybody else.
scorpio.iscariot26/03/2020 19:58

Just an update.I spoke to somebody at my GP surgery and she told me that …Just an update.I spoke to somebody at my GP surgery and she told me that this whole “letter” thing is for those with the most severe underlying issues such as chemo,heart transplants etc.These people are to be instructed NOT to leave the house under ANY circumstances.But the 12 weeks isolation STILL stands with those who have other underlying conditions such as asthma,diabetes etc.Only difference is these people CAN go out under the restrictions like everybody else.

Well that’s not be handed down to pharmacy team staff. However with all the precautions we have in place I’m sure I’ll be alright
I have chronic kidney disease but its not in late stages. Im home anyway but only since Wednesday, I don't have the luxury of a boss who allows me any freedom in my non essential but to his pocket job.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants