I Have had a really scary toaster fire... i need some advice!!

Posted 27th Jan
Hi All,
On Thursday I had a toaster fire, it has damaged a large part of my kitchen.
The loss adjuster is due on Tuesday.
Can anyone tell me if the heat/smoke could cause damage to the electrics in my integrated Fridge and freezer, microwave, washing machine etc ? possibly causing another fire at a later date?
There is lots of smoke and heat damage to the outside of the unit.
i am worried that the insurance company (legal and General) will replace the units but leave me with a potentially dangerous appliances although working fine at the moment. I am so scared that it will happen again, my little girl was home poorly from school and is really traumatised with it all!
Thank you in advance for any advice, I am overwhelmed with all this and don't seem to be getting any support from the insurance company!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

33 Comments
Heat can melt the plastic inside of the appliances, but if they are still working it hasn’t happened, and your still using them you can’t be to worried or you would have them turned off...

if your your looking for a reason to replace go in the back and break a few things, then claim new...

im sure the adjuster will help you out..
What brand of toaster did you have?
Curious how a toaster can go on fire, takes s lot for this?
As regards it happening again, best get an alarm that detects heat and a powder fire extinguisher for peace of mind.
The loss adjuster will probably scrap all the appliances for the very reason your worried about, remember they do this on a regular basis, trust their judgment.
esar27/01/2020 07:32

Curious how a toaster can go on fire, takes s lot for this?As regards it …Curious how a toaster can go on fire, takes s lot for this?As regards it happening again, best get an alarm that detects heat and a powder fire extinguisher for peace of mind.The loss adjuster will probably scrap all the appliances for the very reason your worried about, remember they do this on a regular basis, trust their judgment.

I wonder if a mountain of crumbs in the bottom of the toaster and piece of bread stuck inside next to the element could possibly cause a toaster fire?
deleted2100705
You whole kitchen will be looked at, appliances, any structural damage, the electrics of the whole house also as that could have triggered something too, dont do anything dishonest as someone above mentioned as thats just a stupid bit of advice to give, i speak from experience and had to have the kitchen wall rebuilt as it had taken a bit of a beating from the fire, as others have mentioned the adjuster will deal with it, you will probably have a few visits after the adjuster has been from electricians etc
deleted210070527/01/2020 08:08

You whole kitchen will be looked at, appliances, any structural damage, …You whole kitchen will be looked at, appliances, any structural damage, the electrics of the whole house also as that could have triggered something too, dont do anything dishonest as someone above mentioned as thats just a stupid bit of advice to give, i speak from experience and had to have the kitchen wall rebuilt as it had taken a bit of a beating from the fire, as others have mentioned the adjuster will deal with it, you will probably have a few visits after the adjuster has been from electricians etc

I think they were being sarcastic in terms of this looking like someone wanting to eek out the claim to replace everything in the kitchen.... that was my first thought too if I’m being honest. Why would a toaster fire make you worried about everything else? If it’s ring circuit surely it could affect the TV and any other socket if that was the case?
Haircut_10027/01/2020 07:11

What brand of toaster did you have?

Wilkinson’s Wilkinson’s homebrand
Haircut_10027/01/2020 08:07

I wonder if a mountain of crumbs in the bottom of the toaster and piece of …I wonder if a mountain of crumbs in the bottom of the toaster and piece of bread stuck inside next to the element could possibly cause a toaster fire?

I have burnt toast to a crisp before (as i'm sure many of us have) and never had it catch fire - I'm guessing this was some sort of electrical fault?
esar27/01/2020 07:32

Curious how a toaster can go on fire, takes s lot for this?As regards it …Curious how a toaster can go on fire, takes s lot for this?As regards it happening again, best get an alarm that detects heat and a powder fire extinguisher for peace of mind.The loss adjuster will probably scrap all the appliances for the very reason your worried about, remember they do this on a regular basis, trust their judgment.

Actually it doesn’t take a lot if a toaster is left under a cupboard while being used, for example.
deleted8125827/01/2020 08:48

I think they were being sarcastic in terms of this looking like someone …I think they were being sarcastic in terms of this looking like someone wanting to eek out the claim to replace everything in the kitchen.... that was my first thought too if I’m being honest. Why would a toaster fire make you worried about everything else? If it’s ring circuit surely it could affect the TV and any other socket if that was the case?

I think I explained it badly! The fire men had to use hoses to put the flames out, this caused a huge amount of sooty steam I’m worried about it corrosion and soot build up effecting the hidden electrics over time (soot I’m told is corrosive). I would be happy to keep what I have got, as long as it’s all PAT tested.
i love my kitchen ( it’s only a few years old) and had no desire to replace or change any of it, this is a totally traumatic nightmare situation, the worst thing is I’ve lost things that were my mums, that cannot be replaced .
I put toast down and forgot about it looks like the handle got stuck down, just happy no one or dog was hurt!

You whole kitchen will be looked at, appliances, any structural damage, …You whole kitchen will be looked at, appliances, any structural damage, the electrics of the whole house also as that could have triggered something too, dont do anything dishonest as someone above mentioned as thats just a stupid bit of advice to give, i speak from experience and had to have the kitchen wall rebuilt as it had taken a bit of a beating from the fire, as others have mentioned the adjuster will deal with it, you will probably have a few visits after the adjuster has been from electricians etc

Some comments need to be ignored! How long did it take to sort yours out? I just want to get back to some type of normal!!
999smiles27/01/2020 12:22

I think I explained it badly! The fire men had to use hoses to put the …I think I explained it badly! The fire men had to use hoses to put the flames out, this caused a huge amount of sooty steam I’m worried about it corrosion and soot build up effecting the hidden electrics over time (soot I’m told is corrosive). I would be happy to keep what I have got, as long as it’s all PAT tested.i love my kitchen ( it’s only a few years old) and had no desire to replace or change any of it, this is a totally traumatic nightmare situation, the worst thing is I’ve lost things that were my mums, that cannot be replaced .I put toast down and forgot about it looks like the handle got stuck down, just happy no one or dog was hurt!

The handle is held down by an electromagnet, the timer cuts off all power when finished, so even if it was stuck it should have cut out, perhaps the toaster has a fault that you can claim from Wilko's for
999smiles27/01/2020 12:22

I think I explained it badly! The fire men had to use hoses to put the …I think I explained it badly! The fire men had to use hoses to put the flames out, this caused a huge amount of sooty steam I’m worried about it corrosion and soot build up effecting the hidden electrics over time (soot I’m told is corrosive). I would be happy to keep what I have got, as long as it’s all PAT tested.i love my kitchen ( it’s only a few years old) and had no desire to replace or change any of it, this is a totally traumatic nightmare situation, the worst thing is I’ve lost things that were my mums, that cannot be replaced .I put toast down and forgot about it looks like the handle got stuck down, just happy no one or dog was hurt!

That sounds better... well, not "better" but I get where you're coming from now. As someone else said, the Loss Adjuster SHOULD take all that into account BUT it can depend on the Insurer and the LA. See what they say, point out your concerns and make sure they are noted! When we had a kitchen flood from the bathroom, the LA was great, he pointed out stuff we'd not seen, but some wont.

I feel for you, fire is awful, it'll get better over time but try not to dwell on the "what if's" (easier said than done)
Edited by: "frakison" 27th Jan
esar27/01/2020 13:22

The handle is held down by an electromagnet, the timer cuts off all power …The handle is held down by an electromagnet, the timer cuts off all power when finished, so even if it was stuck it should have cut out, perhaps the toaster has a fault that you can claim from Wilko's for

Agree, they are a pretty decent company, worth a letter I'd think?
deleted8125827/01/2020 13:44

Agree, they are a pretty decent company, worth a letter I'd think?

The toaster is going to be tested then my insurers will try to claim everything back from Wilkinson’s if they can, just relieved that I only have to deal with one lot of insurance rather than two!
deleted8125827/01/2020 08:48

I think they were being sarcastic in terms of this looking like someone …I think they were being sarcastic in terms of this looking like someone wanting to eek out the claim to replace everything in the kitchen.... that was my first thought too if I’m being honest. Why would a toaster fire make you worried about everything else? If it’s ring circuit surely it could affect the TV and any other socket if that was the case?

I didn’t explain it well,... fire brigade had to hose down, this caused a lot of dirty steam due to the heat
Oh crumbs.
As usual pedant mods have removed my comment, but left others asking the same thin, HUKD mods really have some selective myopia.

I asked because, as someone else said, unless it is parked up where it shouldn't be (under a cupboard that then acts as an ignition source) then toasters don't often cause fires, toast tends to carbonise (black & stinky) rather than set itself aflame, which leaves us with the mechanics of the toaster...
(not to mention that the OP didn't write with much context in their opening statement).
OP, did the F. Brigade deem it a small appliance fire / small kitchen fire or anything beyond that & how quickly was it out from point of ignition? ..smoke is harsh, it tends to affect circuit boards & the guts of electronics, & then there is water damage to electricals, so its a double damage die throw (technically).

Please get a fire blanket as a back up to whatever you already have in a kitchen, in our family we know where the roasting dish is for things aflame & have a protocol that we've followed for years (in case of this sort of thing / to stem a chimney fire by removing source material) & a fire blanket it a handy bit of kit to have to use, surprised they are not standard house kit these days.
obviously they quell flames & suppress smoke / spitting melted plastic etc too!
sounds like you got a faulty toaster. you should be fine if the integrated appliances are still working. if the toaster is faulty, you may have a claim against the manufacturer.

It was sarcasm as the way op explained it sounds like they want to claim...
Tyne and Wear FRS have been posting on Twitter recently about fires from toasters and the build up of crumbs causing them. Seems they've been out to a spate of them. Certainly made me clean mine out!

@999smiles - I wonder if its worth asking your white goods manufacturers if they have any guidance around tolerance for the units in terms of heat/moisture etc. to see if the fire has taken them outside of those? Especially things like the washer if its from somewhere like Hotpoint which are not the best for being fire-friendly!
Ask the insurers to pay for someone to test the appliances to see if they need replacing.

Toasters should never be left unattended.

You shouldn't be naming the toaster company either unless advised to do so by the authorities.
markmc99927/01/2020 19:00

Tyne and Wear FRS have been posting on Twitter recently about fires from …Tyne and Wear FRS have been posting on Twitter recently about fires from toasters and the build up of crumbs causing them. Seems they've been out to a spate of them. Certainly made me clean mine out!@999smiles - I wonder if its worth asking your white goods manufacturers if they have any guidance around tolerance for the units in terms of heat/moisture etc. to see if the fire has taken them outside of those? Especially things like the washer if its from somewhere like Hotpoint which are not the best for being fire-friendly!

i will go and empty my toaster immediately as it is full of crumbs. good point
markvirgo27/01/2020 19:48

Ask the insurers to pay for someone to test the appliances to see if they …Ask the insurers to pay for someone to test the appliances to see if they need replacing.Toasters should never be left unattended.You shouldn't be naming the toaster company either unless advised to do so by the authorities.

i am frightened to be in the same room when my toaster is on as when the toast pops up, the sudden sounds gives me a fright, lol
markmc99927/01/2020 19:00

Tyne and Wear FRS have been posting on Twitter recently about fires from …Tyne and Wear FRS have been posting on Twitter recently about fires from toasters and the build up of crumbs causing them. Seems they've been out to a spate of them. Certainly made me clean mine out!@999smiles - I wonder if its worth asking your white goods manufacturers if they have any guidance around tolerance for the units in terms of heat/moisture etc. to see if the fire has taken them outside of those? Especially things like the washer if its from somewhere like Hotpoint which are not the best for being fire-friendly!

That’s a great idea, thank you! Iwill get on to that first thing in the morning!
What a rough situation and stressful.

I hope it’s sorted out and you aren’t too traumatised; a house fire of any sorts can make you feel wobbly!
We had the fire brigade come and do an assessment of our property. The toaster was commented on as it was under a cupboard.

My partner mentioned a fire blanket and they actually advised against one, as their advice was to get out and call them, as the response time of the fire brigade is so good, by the time you’ve messed about with the fire blanket, they could’ve already been there and put it out, and you also could’ve hurt yourself.
Edited by: "choccie32" 27th Jan
Bargainhead27/01/2020 18:42

It was sarcasm as the way op explained it sounds like they want to claim...

Maybe you would, however I am not sure why anyone would put themselves and their family through this hell just to save a few quid
choccie3227/01/2020 20:31

We had the fore brigade come and do an assessment of our property. The …We had the fore brigade come and do an assessment of our property. The toaster was commented on as it was under a cupboard. My partner mentioned a fire blanket and they actually advised against one, as their advise was to get out and call them, as the response time of the fire brigade is so good, by the time you’ve messed about with the fire blanket, they could’ve already been there and put it out, and you also could’ve hurt yourself.

The fire brigade were amazing, they were with me within 5 minutes, they told me they prefer people to call them out than take it on unless it’s really small, to be honest I didn’t at that point care if the whole house burnt down, I just wanted to get my little girl and dog outside tosafte
999smiles27/01/2020 20:43

Maybe you would, however I am not sure why anyone would put themselves and …Maybe you would, however I am not sure why anyone would put themselves and their family through this hell just to save a few quid

Not at all, plus I never said you set the fire on purpose, but the way you explained it sounds like you wanted advice on scamming more out of insurance. It made more sense later when you said the full story..
The fire brigade turned up at my house once and insisted I had a fire. Transpired they had gone to the wrong village! Same street name! Fortunately I don't think anyone died etc..
Bargainhead27/01/2020 21:12

Not at all, plus I never said you set the fire on purpose, but the way you …Not at all, plus I never said you set the fire on purpose, but the way you explained it sounds like you wanted advice on scamming more out of insurance. It made more sense later when you said the full story..

Think you are the only one who thinks that.
Looks like a truly genuine post to me.

Where do you think the scamming bit was?
Jumpingphil28/01/2020 01:56

Think you are the only one who thinks that.Looks like a truly genuine post …Think you are the only one who thinks that.Looks like a truly genuine post to me.Where do you think the scamming bit was?

5th poster down thought the same. People see things different.. plus if op was that worried about other appliances going up because of damage op wouldn’t be still using them and asking advice on here while there still on... that’s what didn’t make sense...
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 28th Jan
Make sure you post a scathing review if still being sold and its found to be faulty

wilko.com/en-…er+
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants