Groups

I have no hot water :(

Woke up this morning to find, we have no hot water. The pilot light is trying to kick in on the boiler but not going anywhere.

British Gas's website says £168 for a one off repair. I was hoping the good people of HUKD would be able to recommend me someone cheaper!!

38 Comments

Phone a gas/boiler man?

Banned

much more info required

e.g. heating working, bolier make / model / type etc etc

Original Poster

thesaint;8336151

Phone a gas/boiler man?

If i knew of any i would.... unfortunatly OH's brother is on holiday :x

i got a number for a man if you near batley

Original Poster

robertkay;8336182

i got a number for a man if you near batley

I'm in Leeds

Is the pilot light on all the time?

Original Poster

greg_68;8336227

Is the pilot light on all the time?

Nope

Banned

This site is a better option than a friend of a stranger on a shopping forum!

checkatrade.com/

Original Poster

csiman;8336271

This site is a better option than a friend of a stranger on a shopping … This site is a better option than a friend of a stranger on a shopping forum!http://www.checkatrade.com/

Never heard of that site before, thanks.

Banned

inb4 the advice to remove the boiler cover............................

Becksdawe;8336267

Nope

Could well be your thermocouple then that detects the pilot light, if it does not detect the pilot light flame it cuts the gas supply to stop a build up.

Cheap and easy to replace.

csiman;8336271

This site is a better option than a friend of a stranger on a shopping … This site is a better option than a friend of a stranger on a shopping forum!http://www.checkatrade.com/

or one I use is diynot.com

Becksdawe;8336163

If i knew of any i would.... unfortunatly OH's brother is on holiday :x

Who/what is your boyfriend/husband brother?

see if you have a gas leak by using a light go around the boiler to look for leaks, if it explodes you have a leak

Original Poster

thesaint;8336279

Who/what is your boyfriend/husband brother?

Qualified Heating Engineer - corgi registered... disappeared to Sunny climate yesterday for a fortnight

Original Poster

csiman;8336275

I really don't know what to look for :oops:

Banned

greg_68;8336277

or one I use is diynot.com

me too for DIY but checkatrade is to locate vetted trademen :?

boiler repairs isnt really a DIY job in most instances. I think its even illegal to remove the cover off a boiler unless you are gas safe registered.

Banned

Becksdawe;8336292

I really don't know what to look for :oops:

Thats my point - do NOT remove the cover and attempt a fix yourself.

wickedteen;8336280

see if you have a gas leak by using a light go around the boiler to look … see if you have a gas leak by using a light go around the boiler to look for leaks, if it explodes you have a leak

Grow up.:x

Original Poster

csiman;8336309

Thats my point - do NOT remove the cover and attempt a fix yourself.

No fear of that :-D

Hair washing in the bathroom sink with water from the kettle..... fun :w00t:

csiman;8336275

csiman;8336305

me too for DIY but checkatrade is to locate vetted trademen :?boiler … me too for DIY but checkatrade is to locate vetted trademen :?boiler repairs isnt really a DIY job in most instances. I think its even illegal to remove the cover off a boiler unless you are gas safe registered.

You are allowed to remove your own boiler cover, for DIY purposes. It is only against regulations to remove the cover if you are charging for it in a customers house.

If you have a hot water cylinder then turn the immersion heater on, you can live without heating now. Then when he gets back from holiday sort it then

Original Poster

pinkleponkle;8336658

If you have a hot water cylinder then turn the immersion heater on, you … If you have a hot water cylinder then turn the immersion heater on, you can live without heating now. Then when he gets back from holiday sort it then

We don't

Ok so we are getting somewhere, it's a combi so what's the error code?

What happens if you turn the heating on?

Make?

Model?

Do you have a combi boiler?

We have a number dial on ours and when it drops below 1 we can only get hot water by putting the heating on then re-setting the boiler to get the pilot light to try and go, our neighbour has the hose to fix it, its kinda like bleeding the boiler, he was left it when the boilers installed, seems some got it and some didn't, he just puts the pressure back up to 1.5ish and its fine again for a while.

Banned

AshleyRFC;8338275

Do you have a combi boiler?We have a number dial on ours and when it … Do you have a combi boiler?We have a number dial on ours and when it drops below 1 we can only get hot water by putting the heating on then re-setting the boiler to get the pilot light to try and go, our neighbour has the hose to fix it, its kinda like bleeding the boiler, he was left it when the boilers installed, seems some got it and some didn't, he just puts the pressure back up to 1.5ish and its fine again for a while.

maybe you should buy one yourself. They are only about £15 from any plumbing merchants

csiman;8338316

maybe you should buy one yourself. They are only about £15 from any … maybe you should buy one yourself. They are only about £15 from any plumbing merchants

To be honest never really thought that it was something you could buy, will look into it, thanks. :thumbsup:

Banned

AshleyRFC;8338339

To be honest never really thought that it was something you could buy, … To be honest never really thought that it was something you could buy, will look into it, thanks. :thumbsup:

its called a filling loop :thumbsup:

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/COMBIPRESS.jpg

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;8338275

Do you have a combi boiler?We have a number dial on ours and when it … Do you have a combi boiler?We have a number dial on ours and when it drops below 1 we can only get hot water by putting the heating on then re-setting the boiler to get the pilot light to try and go, our neighbour has the hose to fix it, its kinda like bleeding the boiler, he was left it when the boilers installed, seems some got it and some didn't, he just puts the pressure back up to 1.5ish and its fine again for a while.

Yup - we have the same :thumbsup: Not sure on the make - not obvious.....

Becksdawe;8340578

Yup - we have the same :thumbsup: Not sure on the make - not obvious.....

Can you see a pressure dial?

Is there not a make on the front of the boiler?

Original Poster

Foxy102;8340599

Can you see a pressure dial?Is there not a make on the front of the … Can you see a pressure dial?Is there not a make on the front of the boiler?

Yup.

It's an Ideal Mini

OP I think your maybe confused between a Pilot light and electronic ignition.
    Could well be a mountain of things, gas vavle, pressure switch, PCB, non running fan etc.
    It's not something you can fix yourself and would have to call a heating engineer.

Original Poster

Broxy;8342926

OP I think your maybe confused between a Pilot light and electronic … OP I think your maybe confused between a Pilot light and electronic ignition.Could well be a mountain of things, gas vavle, pressure switch, PCB, non running fan etc.It's not something you can fix yourself and would have to call a heating engineer.

I'm not trying to fix it myself LOL

Is there a red light on the boiler anywhere probably flashing but dependent on boiler? if so have a look for the reset button and press it.

Original Poster

Broxy;8342982

Is there a red light on the boiler anywhere probably flashing but … Is there a red light on the boiler anywhere probably flashing but dependent on boiler? if so have a look for the reset button and press it.

Nope - have tried the reset button but no joy
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846185
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1929
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764269
      4. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…47

See more discussions