I have the new 360 dashboard!

Found 3rd Nov 2008
I read on joystiq.com that you can download the 'NXE' (new xbox 360 dashboard) on torrent. So I did and installed it.

It's pretty cool, already installed Fifa 09 to my hard drive to stop the drive spinning up whilst playing.

The only problem is, it won't let you connect to xbox LIVE until the official release (19th Nov) and pretty much all of the new dashboard is xbox LIVE centric meaning you can't access some of the features yet.

Just thought I'd let people know in case they want to get a preview of it as well.

And no, they haven't banned me from xbox LIVE (as far as I know), it just doesn't let you connect to the servers until 19th!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
66 Comments

I have it too, but no XBOX Live Yet

A bit pointless then :).

So you don't have xbox live for 2 weeks, but you have an updated dashboard?...I'd rather have live, and get the dashboard updated when everybody else does...

You might not be able to connect to live fullstop. The rumours are that microsoft are banning people who download it without permission.

how do you play games from harddrive without the disc

you have to keep disc in drive, some sort of verify

Backups work fine via the hard drive method too

I'm going to remember these usernames, and the excitement of getting NXE early by downloading via torrent (or other source) early, and when they are on here after the 19th moaning about being banned, I reserve a massive LOL!

Not because you got it early, I couldn't care less, but because you were so naive as to think anybody else would care.

Original Poster

You still need the disc in to play the game because of piracy, but it cuts down on loading times and disc noise if you install it.

I haven't been using live at all recently anyway, just havent got the time for it so 2 weeks without it is no big deal. I reckon I'll be ok, I don't think they'll ban us for that. They generally ban people who copy games and try to go on live, it's not like I've taken something that wasn't going to be free anyway.

And anyway, I was just curious!!

They wont ban anyone, then i will laugh at you.

Original Poster

I knew this post would provoke negative comments. Pretty much anything provokes negative comments on this forum. I really couldn't care less if you cared or not MunkiMadz, I just enjoy chatting with people who share the same interests. If this is of no interest to you, why post?

strike;3360809

cool so people with already banned boxes can just install it and get the features?

what do you put it on? a standard memory stick?

Upload some pics

DudeyGeeza, burn it on CD, how will micrsoft ban you if your online. hOwever most of the content is via XBOX Live. You cant play xvid files etc yet but there will be updates for it

http://www.gamerfreakz.net/forum/imagehosting/1490c23c5d7ad5.jpg

http://www.gamerfreakz.net/forum/imagehosting/1490c23eabf4ad.jpg

http://www.gamerfreakz.net/forum/imagehosting/1490c23da8a9d0.jpg

Honestly if the only improvement was a quicker dashboard I'd be happy - the current one is so sloooow.

The avatars are a total Wii rip off.

strike;3360809

Why would you laugh at me if they dont ban anyone? I can play on live for the next 2 weeks...gears of war 2 is out in a week. lol.

strike;3360857

DudeyGeeza, burn it on CD, how will micrsoft ban you if your online. … DudeyGeeza, burn it on CD, how will micrsoft ban you if your online. hOwever most of the content is via XBOX Live. You cant play xvid files etc yet but there will be updates for it

ok cool, is there a way of uninstalling it? obviously the dashboard has always been on internal memory (no HDD or Memcard needed) so does this update get applied to the internal or a storage device?

If you then remove that storage device, is the new dashboard still there?

Original Poster

Yeah download from torrent (7mb!), extract it, and stick the extracted folder on a memory stick. Put it in your xbox and it will update!

Dudey its like the psp when you upgrade the firmware similar so if you remove the memory card the firmware is still there although u upgrade by memory card.

wow ur teh awesome.

I already got Gears 2 so Shame mate.

I think you will have to keep the update as it installs over the internal, but not too sure. It may be permanant or maybe not.

vialli25;3360811

I knew this post would provoke negative comments. Pretty much anything … I knew this post would provoke negative comments. Pretty much anything provokes negative comments on this forum. I really couldn't care less if you cared or not MunkiMadz, I just enjoy chatting with people who share the same interests. If this is of no interest to you, why post?

Hey sorry I wasn't being negative towards you specifically, just you made a thread/a big deal of downloading something that was meant for a select amount of people (who i presume are also now not able to play live?) so it has ruined it a little for others.
It is an interest to me, I don't don't care much for people bragging about it (no offence, its how it seemed/is/maybe/i dunno - delete as applicable)

Original Poster

This is non reversable. Updates the xbox firmware im guessing.

strike;3360906

I already got Gears 2 so Shame mate.

Shame indeed. Look forward to giving you a game on it....when you can play on live again...if you can play on live again.

If i do get banned, then time to learn to swap liteon drive which would be good exp and fun

MarzBarz;3360903

Dudey its like the psp when you upgrade the firmware similar so if you … Dudey its like the psp when you upgrade the firmware similar so if you remove the memory card the firmware is still there although u upgrade by memory card.

strike;3360906

I think you will have to keep the update as it installs over the … I think you will have to keep the update as it installs over the internal, but not too sure. It may be permanant or maybe not.

hmm, not too happy about that, so when they release the actual one will it update an already updated one or just say "sorry, the version of dashboard you are currently using cannot be determined" then exit out, leaving you stuck with the non live one.????

MunkiMadz;3360921

Shame indeed. Look forward to giving you a game on it....when you can … Shame indeed. Look forward to giving you a game on it....when you can play on live again...if you can play on live again.

people can have 2 xbox 360s

This is a beta dashboard, not the final iirc.

DudeyGeeza;3360939

hmm, not too happy about that, so when they release the actual one will … hmm, not too happy about that, so when they release the actual one will it update an already updated one or just say "sorry, the version of dashboard you are currently using cannot be determined" then exit out, leaving you stuck with the non live one.????

Well since uve already updated it wont do anything. Either a ban will come or it will let you play online.

Original Poster

DudeyGeeza;3360939

hmm, not too happy about that, so when they release the actual one will … hmm, not too happy about that, so when they release the actual one will it update an already updated one or just say "sorry, the version of dashboard you are currently using cannot be determined" then exit out, leaving you stuck with the non live one.????

I'm pretty sure you won't be stuck with it, because this was intended to be a beta version of the dashboard, so it will have an update function for when the real one comes out.

MarzBarz;3360946

people can have 2 xbox 360s

People, as far as I know, can have as many xbox 360's as they want...but well done on providing that fact, it's people like you that keep quiz shows going.

It will update normally Dudeeyl, if not tell microsoft u downlaoded the update off their site as you never had xbox live and then decided to get it, see what they say.

I have firm belief it will update normally when they release the update

You have to connect to live to get the auto update though right? So if they keep the beta banned from live...then you might have to burn the update onto a disk to update the 360?

They wont ban the beta LOL.

strike;3361006

It will update normally Dudeeyl, if not tell microsoft u downlaoded the … It will update normally Dudeeyl, if not tell microsoft u downlaoded the update off their site as you never had xbox live and then decided to get it, see what they say.I have firm belief it will update normally when they release the update

I understand what you are saying, i have been part of many beta processes, like this one from microsoft, the beta team will be given an update to update thier beta versions. But that will be a beta only update not one released to the public, so may require you waiting till it is released / leaked in the same way this one was for you to get full functionality.

True say, but the update will most likely be available VIA Microsoft website

to the ppl who have installed it....is it better then the current dashboard or crapper? can u change between the old and new dashboard?

killabyte;3361442

to the ppl who have installed it....is it better then the current … to the ppl who have installed it....is it better then the current dashboard or crapper? can u change between the old and new dashboard?

no it will overwrite the old one, making it lost forever!

Original Poster

It's a better dashboard. You can get to everything on the dashboard even whilst your in a game by pressing the xbox button. It gives you a lot more options than it currently does.

i was jus curious...from the reviews looks like its gonna be a success
Post a comment
@
    Text