Groups

(I hope) Some constructive comments

There are lots of complaints about the site but not all of it is very constructive. I believe that the site needed to change at least at the backend to deal with the demand on the site, however I don't feel the site works as well as it could, but that doesn't mean it can't be at least as good if not better than the old site. All that is needed is constructive feed back to help improve the site.

The Navigation: I noticed that the Admin has had to explain how to use it to people, which shows straight away that it is not doing it's job correctly as navigation should always be intuitive unless only being used by advance and experience users.

First the nav writing is too small and looks cramped especially in comparison to the third level of navigation.

Second a second level of navigation is usually a sub nav of the primary so under sweets you would find chocolate, candy, toffee. not a independent navigation.

Thirds there are 3 navigations on top of each other. 2 would be fine using the above style but if you need a third try and use the left or right of the screen to avoid confusion.

Fourth: the forum navigation . If you look on topics with 10's of pages you will notice that all the following number like 23 24 25 are all joined together such as 232425, this is even worse with really long topics.

Fifth, the look and feel of the forums feels alien to standard convention of forums. Whilst this in the longer terms could be a benefit as it could make the forums easier to use, but right now it leads to a lot of confusion and uncertainty about how to post and whether you are posting into the right area.

Ok that is it for now. Once I have time I will look for some positives of the site, which are often not as easy to spot as negatives. The only question I have for the Admin is to wonder if usability testing was done for example did you give a task (find newly publish deals) to new users (who have never used the old site) to see how easy they found it and also the same for users that were use to the old site? The reason I ask is that some of the issues that I have seen would normally come out of those types of usability sessions.

After all that I hope the team that built the site won't get disheartened with the comments and instead see that it just means people care about the site and want it to work well.

Mark

19 Comments

Original Poster

I apologies for the duplicate post, but I keep getting server error messages and mysql error messages all the time (took me 30 minutes to post that message, I was just glad I copied it before posting just in case something went wrong).

Original Poster

After using the site for a little time it does get easier though I feel it falls more in the expert user category of design as I can see how its 3 tier level navigation can be quick to use. I do think it is confusing to new users which can be a problem for websites as most people are new users at some point and if they struggle to navigate the site they could decide to give up.

Hi wordsworth thanks for the feedback. I think the biggest problem and why we need to explain is that people are very stuck in the old way of doing things and its hard to retrain.

There is obviously tweaking that needs to be done though - but I think the fundamental navigation i.e. finding hot deals is stronger now than before.

when you click on new, its comes up with everything all new posts, need to be sorted out into seperate ones like, deals, requests, freebies etc.

Banned

It now is harder to find Vouchers & Hot deals

and the site is Very Basic and Plain looks like a 10 yr old has designed it

i know it sound bad bu its true

To much Text on the site and should go back to old Design ASAP there was no problems with old site

Original Poster

Sometimes you do have to ride out the storm and look at it in the cold light of day and see what went right and what went wrong.

The only other point I would make that is that would have been ideal to have had both the old and new sites running at the same time and encourage users to try the beta site (maybe a message on the homepage) and then to have looked at the users feedback. I know this is what Yahoo have done with there move to a more advanced My Yahoo and Yahoo email. The real plus is it gives people time to adapt to the changes as well as helps iron out the kinks.

hi, its going to take a while for us all to learn how to get around site, i did find it easier on "text only" alot more like old site.

i am bit muddled as at this moment in time the posters is showing off line but his posts after are showing online! that is with IE , also is their somewhere , where you can find who is online, you had at bottom of page before.

thanks

i see no gain at all , nothing is clear , nothing , i really cant find my way around or see where ive been , ive left an offer on something and cant find the thread , search reveals nothing

a thought is if i were to be here for the first time it would also be the last as i would see it as over complicated and wayyyy to much trouble , i dare say some of the kind people who post thread of deals will do the same thing sadly

evolution also created the dodo remember

Admin;1344971

.....I think the biggest problem and why we need to explain is that … .....I think the biggest problem and why we need to explain is that people are very stuck in the old way of doing things and its hard to retrain. .... There is obviously tweaking that needs to be done though - but I think the fundamental navigation i.e. finding hot deals is stronger now than before.

Admin, please excuse me but I find your first comment very condescending; it is not about the change but the way in which HUKD has mis-managed the implementation of the change. HUKD is a leader in its field however, I would have thought that the powers that be within HUKD would have at least thought about implemementing such a significant change after the Xmas period....and with more notice and testing. Off the soapbox now. :thinking:

Fair enough Splodger101. Hopefully the birthing process is not too painful for all sides.

[QUOTE=Admin;1344971]Hi wordsworth thanks for the feedback. I think the biggest problem and why we need to explain is that people are very stuck in the old way of doing things and its hard to retrain. QUOTE]

I recognise that people by nature don't like change, and it's very easy to blame that on the complaints and problems.
    But there has to come a point where the overwhelming number of negative posts can't be dismissed as this.
    There is definetely an element of "this isn't what I'm used to", but that doesn't change the inherant problems with the new site and layout.
    The old site was so easy to navigate and simple to use - for the more inexperienced/casual user.
    The new site seems to be more aimed at the younger, more internet savvy user - and as such is harder to use.
    Personally, I think that the "ordinary" person in the street that previously used the site on a casual basis, who didn't post and check deals hourly will be driven away from the new site.
    The concern I have is that if the attitude is "people will get used to it", and the overwhelming number of negative comments are ignored then this site will slowly die.
    There has to come a point where you consider that you have made a mistake, and start listening to the users.
    At the end of the day, you are a business - we are your customers. As numerous companies have learned to thier peril - if you don't listen to your customers you don't last very long in business.
    I understand that a lot of work has gone into the new site, and there are probably imporvements in areas I can't see or understand (I am not an internet expert!) It may well be technically superior to the old site - but if people don't USE it what's the point?
    Also, and this is really bugging me - the tag line "deal anarchy for the masses." IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING! It's pithy and doesn't reflect what this site and it's users are, in my opinion, about. It's the sort of thing I would have come up with when I was sixteen, thinking it was cool. IT ISN'T!
    Can I suggest that you give people an opportunity to get used to the new site, maybe a week or so. But that you then take a poll on whether to stay with the new site or return to the old one.Isn't that in the spirit of the site?

Original Poster

Agree with a lot of what elliff said about though I am conscious that this is a pseudo business as it is very volunteer based and even though it does make money it is hard to know if it is that much and whether it just covers costs.

On the point of the strapline "deal anarchy for the masses" I think it might be nice to start a thread on what other names there should be then take a vote on which one is best.

Just an idea

Just get rid of the hideous green!

Banned

Admin;1344971

Hi wordsworth thanks for the feedback. I think the biggest problem and … Hi wordsworth thanks for the feedback. I think the biggest problem and why we need to explain is that people are very stuck in the old way of doing things and its hard to retrain.

Whilst I would agree that people have been asking (me included) for some extra deal forums to seperate things, I'd have to say I think you've probably gone a little too far. An example I posted earlier: Micro SD ram - some might post that in computers, electricals, entertainment or mobiles.My only bug bare in the previous layout was seperating continual "bogof " supermarket type deals. Whilst thats been achieved, I cant help thinking youve made a huge rod in this "retraining" and your own increased involvement in moving to more appropriate areas. I'd imagine its already hard enough as it is!

There is obviously tweaking that needs to be done though - but I think … There is obviously tweaking that needs to be done though - but I think the fundamental navigation i.e. finding hot deals is stronger now than before.

Just an opinion, but I disagree (at least at the moment!) that its easier to navigate. I also think the actual layout itself is really hard on the eyes. Whilst changing the CSS to suit shouldnt be too hard, I just really hope that the comments (which your'll have to conceed are pretty much unanimously negative) are taken on board. I had thought that one of the reasons the changes have been made was to assist the database - but if so, its seemingly made it worse! Several times Ive clicked on a link to find an SQL error coming up! Early days I know, but its gone from a nice and easy on the eye and easy to navigate site, into a retro design and hard to navigate site.

Good luck anyway!

Admin;1344971

Hi wordsworth thanks for the feedback. I think the biggest problem and … Hi wordsworth thanks for the feedback. I think the biggest problem and why we need to explain is that people are very stuck in the old way of doing things and its hard to retrain. There is obviously tweaking that needs to be done though - but I think the fundamental navigation i.e. finding hot deals is stronger now than before.

I'm sorry but this is simply wrong. You have to explain how to use your navigation because your navigation is poorly designed. It's that simple. New and old visitors alike will experience the confusion that has been evident in numerous posts. From an information architecture and usability point of view, the navigation fails, even if its aims are correct.

You should know that usability and interaction data indicates that only a tiny fraction of dissatisfied users will ever make a complaint. The other 98% will simply curse to themselves, leave the site, and a substantial proportion of them will even actively warn other people against using/visiting you service/website.

People aren't just crying about the design, they are complaining about fundamental usability problems, and that is something that I'm surprised is not being taken more seriously. Oh well.

I do get the concept and things do have to move on. I don't like the colours though, it used to feel warm and friendly, now it just feels like I'm at home and still staring at my computer screen at work. it is far to pale.

Also I thought the ease of use of the forums previously was good. That is what made hukd stand out from the rest!

On the positive side. I'm really not used to it yet, but i do like how deals can be sorted and organised to find exactly the areas you are looking for. There is still hope!

I'm not so bothered about the layout/design, that's something I can get used to, like all of us. The thing that's bugging me is the navigation around the site. I used to come on HUKD a lot purely just to click on vouchers and scroll down to the relevant retailer (was in alphabetical order) and get the vouchers I required. However, when I click on vouchers now, it is sorted by what is hottest, not by retailers.

It may be me being totally blonde, but Im having trouble finding my way around now I feel like Im lost in a foreign country, lol

I think wordsworth has posted a lot of good advice, best post ive read all day instead of people moaning. anyway at first i thought the change were bad, taken me a while to get my head round it.

I think incorporating the forum into the main site is what is confusing most people. I don't quite like the hot, new, discussed navigation bar. I think you should have a new tab for "all deals", which is default. then still have the others where you can break them down further.into hot, discussed etc. As it stands the deals feel alienated from each other.

also i think the appearance of the navigation bars need redesigning. like just look so dull, maybe increase the size, change the font.

also the page numbering needs addressing.

when you click "view text only" it resets the navigation bar to the default 'All' and 'All'. This needs to be fixed also.

some of these issues have probably been mentioned. but no harm in reiterating them,

:?:shock::shock::? oh my god wots happened to hduk !!!! it's all gone pear shaped i can't find anything, it all looks wierd & everything gone to the left. why? oh why? oh why? i don't like it . was it something i said ? i've only been away a couple of days please someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy2425
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767171
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047080
      4. word association Game73844452

See more discussions