I just got an custom charge from Royal Mail - the sender country states Germany?

Posted 3rd Feb
I thought we weren't properly out of the EU till December. Germany is part of the EU.
Is this custom charge right? Are goods from EU now getting custom charged? Thanks

Import VAT £11.32
Handling fee£8.00
Total fee due: £19.32
Community Updates
Buying From Abroad

Groups

14 Comments
Ouch
What website have you bought from ? I’ve been meaning to make an order on bike-Discount.de
whatyadoinsucka03/02/2020 15:12

What website have you bought from ? I’ve been meaning to make an order on b …What website have you bought from ? I’ve been meaning to make an order on bike-Discount.de

Kickstarter... I back a lot of projects on there...
Did you pay VAT on it when you ordered from Germany?
jon81uk03/02/2020 15:14

Did you pay VAT on it when you ordered from Germany?

I don't know, no? I don't think I had to in the past when ordering within the EU?...
deleted1175484
I just had this conversation with backerkit over a board game not out until summer. And they mentioned even though it’s going to come from Germany “it might be hit by customs fees because of Brexit but we will send an email once this information becomes clear”
MRR_ltd03/02/2020 15:18

I don't know, no? I don't think I had to in the past when ordering within …I don't know, no? I don't think I had to in the past when ordering within the EU?...

You pay the German VAT if you ordered in Germany. Basically within the EU you pay the tax of the country the order is placed in.

If you paid no tax at all then it may be that the order was from outside of the EU but just shipped via Germany, in that case tax is collected when it enters the UK.

You mentioned Kickstarter, which I think is generally US based, so I would assume you didn't pay any tax within the EU when you ordered so it is due when goods arrive.
jon81uk03/02/2020 15:21

You pay the German VAT if you ordered in Germany. Basically within the EU …You pay the German VAT if you ordered in Germany. Basically within the EU you pay the tax of the country the order is placed in.If you paid no tax at all then it may be that the order was from outside of the EU but just shipped via Germany, in that case tax is collected when it enters the UK.You mentioned Kickstarter, which I think is generally US based, so I would assume you didn't pay any tax within the EU when you ordered so it is due when goods arrive.

I see, interesting, thanks for sharing that. I've placed orders plenty of times where goods from the EU never got VAT taxed.

Kickstarter is like the middle-man, the creators of the projects can be based all over, and are their own separate company.
I doubt that it was sent from Germany, check the shipping label.
MRR_ltd03/02/2020 15:49

I see, interesting, thanks for sharing that. I've placed orders plenty of …I see, interesting, thanks for sharing that. I've placed orders plenty of times where goods from the EU never got VAT taxed. Kickstarter is like the middle-man, the creators of the projects can be based all over, and are their own separate company.

You wouldn't notice the tax when buying within the EU, its law that the tax must be shown within the sale price.
For example an item is €12 not €10 plus €2 VAT.
So you will be paying the tax of the EU country just not aware of it, so you won't have EU parcels stopped by customs.

I think with Kickstarter, you pay Kickstarter and they send the money on, so the transaction may not be EU based?
Germany is a very common bulk distribution destination. It is highly likely that the item came from outside the EU with taxes therefore to be collected at the point of delivery. I sometimes order from drop.com and they also deliver via Germany but Royal Mail collects the taxes.
jon81uk03/02/2020 15:21

You pay the German VAT if you ordered in Germany. Basically within the EU …You pay the German VAT if you ordered in Germany. Basically within the EU you pay the tax of the country the order is placed in.If you paid no tax at all then it may be that the order was from outside of the EU but just shipped via Germany, in that case tax is collected when it enters the UK.You mentioned Kickstarter, which I think is generally US based, so I would assume you didn't pay any tax within the EU when you ordered so it is due when goods arrive.

You said, "You pay the German VAT if you ordered in Germany. Basically within the EU you pay the tax of the country the order is placed in."

What you said is untrue. The norm is that one pays the VAT rate as applicable for the recipient in the destination country rather than where an order is placed in the original country.

MRR_ltd03/02/2020 15:49

I see, interesting, thanks for sharing that. I've placed orders plenty of …I see, interesting, thanks for sharing that. I've placed orders plenty of times where goods from the EU never got VAT taxed. Kickstarter is like the middle-man, the creators of the projects can be based all over, and are their own separate company.

splender04/02/2020 03:59

You said, "You pay the German VAT if you ordered in Germany. Basically …You said, "You pay the German VAT if you ordered in Germany. Basically within the EU you pay the tax of the country the order is placed in."What you said is untrue. The norm is that one pays the VAT rate as applicable for the recipient in the destination country rather than where an order is placed in the original country.

Ah OK. Sorry I mis-remembered, I just knew that you pay tax when the order is placed if you place the order within the EU, rather than it being stopped at customs checks coming into the UK.
You don’t pay custom charges for items bought in Eu it doesn’t matter about the tax thats included automatically in Eu. What did you buy?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants