Groups

I keep getting a blue screen dump on startup Win7, can anyone help?

I have just deleted a virus (security tool) off of the laptop using superantispyware then malwarebytes using a guide online. I then deleted the norton that was on it and downloaded MSE. Ran a scan and all came back fine.
    Rebooted the laptop and now I get a blue screen dump that disappears before I can even read it.
    I can boot in safe mode but I have no idea what to do now?
    Any help highly appreciated?
    Thanks

13 Comments

Boot in safe mode.
    Type in the start bar "view event logs".
    Click Windows and then system in the left hand side.
    Scroll down til you find the error message (it will be proceeded by bugcheck in the message)
    Use Google to see if you can come up with anything.

(I use a mac, so some of these steps may be a little different as I cant remember the exact terms, but that is the gist)
    Edited by moderator: "Nov 29, 2010 23:01" 29th Nov 2010

Original Poster

Ok it says
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was 0x000000d1 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x87e67b02). A dump was saved in C:\windows\memory.dmp

What do I google?

Original Poster

Ok I think I need to disable/uninstall MSE as that's the only new thing installed, but it won't allow me to do it in safe mode and I can't get inot the laptop in normal mode?
    I can see the screen dump now as I stopped it from auto restarting it says driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
    If I try & do a system restore will that put the virus back on?
    Edited by: "louiseb84" 29th Nov 2010

Update your drivers (specifically gfx card drivers). BSOD is often down to a hardware fault/driver issues

Original Poster

oldmanhouse

Update your drivers (specifically gfx card drivers). BSOD is often down … Update your drivers (specifically gfx card drivers). BSOD is often down to a hardware fault/driver issues

Thanks, is that in device manager?
    I can't find gfx card drivers? And I can't connect to the internet in safe mode either

Original Poster

If I do a system restore will the viruses reappear?

yes, go to device manager and look under "display adapters" (think that what its called) and you should see the make & model of your gfx card. Note that down and look up the latest drivers on the internet using a working pc. Put them on a USB stick and install them (in safe or normal mode.. shouldn't matter)

System restore only brings back old system files. Thing is... if the virus was masquerading as a legitimate Windows system file, System Restore might bring it back mistaking it as an accidentally deleted system file... I'm not 100% sure on this though - anyone else got any thoughts?
    Edited by: "oldmanhouse" 30th Nov 2010

Original Poster

Thank you for your help, I done a system restore. It's driving me mad tbh, It's not even my laptop. The viruses are back on there so I'm going to remove them again and try again. The problem with the blue screen only happened when I uninstalled norton and installed MSE & there were no question marks in device manager

Original Poster

dcx_badass

USe Safe mode with networking to have internet access in it.Also disable … USe Safe mode with networking to have internet access in it.Also disable the reboot on error messages option, will let you see the BSOD properly then,

Disabled the reboot so have seen the message. It wouldn't let me reboot with networking, only safe mode on it's own.
    Hopefully it won't happen again this time round

Problem with persistent viruses is that they'll actively try and undo your efforts to remove them. I've had problems with such viruses and the only way that I could get rid of them was using a Linux-based anti-virus boot disk (see article here: raymond.cc/blo…sk/ )

Have had success with the BitDefender boot CD before. It's not foolproof though - my brother managed to get a virus so persistent I just reformatted in the end cos I'd spent so many hours trying to remove it! Think it was one of those fake anti-virus viruses.... such a pain in the ar*e!!

Original Poster

Well I seem to have gotten rid of the virus again, since system restore there were only a handful of threats compared to 172 initially.
    Now I've uninstalled Norton Internet Security but it's still showing in the program list and in the start menu, how do I get rid of it?
    Ok I downloaded a removal tool, removed it which prompted a reboot and then the blue screen came up again so it must be to do with Norton as I've not installed anything else since the last successful reboot?
    Edited by: "louiseb84" 30th Nov 2010

Original Poster

oldmanhouse

Problem with persistent viruses is that they'll actively try and undo … Problem with persistent viruses is that they'll actively try and undo your efforts to remove them. I've had problems with such viruses and the only way that I could get rid of them was using a Linux-based anti-virus boot disk (see article here:http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/12/11/13-antivirus-rescue-cds-software-compared-in-search-for-the-best-rescue-disk/ )Have had success with the BitDefender boot CD before. It's not foolproof though - my brother managed to get a virus so persistent I just reformatted in the end cos I'd spent so many hours trying to remove it! Think it was one of those fake anti-virus viruses.... such a pain in the ar*e!!

Ok, do I just dl the boot disc and burn it then put it in the infected laptop & let it do it's work?
    Thanks
    Edited by: "louiseb84" 30th Nov 2010
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. TechInTheBasket?22
      2. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710946
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!543737
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767113

See more discussions