Groups

I left my wallet in a corner shop and now...

... They are refusing to show me Cctv footage. I have the exact time and date I went in, and these 2 guys had no idea what they were doing or apparently didn't.

So they spent 24 hours saying the mouse was broke so they couldn't view the Cctv and then the guy fumbled around with the system for 20 minutes trying to access it.

Then he says he's not getting someone out to fix it because it's going to cost him £70 but I basically said I don't care. He has an obligation to show me under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Then he goes into the hard drive settings to see why it's not recording and has no hard disk space so I said "you have a camera without recording facilities?" and he was adamant it would be recording.

If i go back today, is there anything I can do?

Thank you so much misc

49 Comments

Go to the police!

just call the police mate. either they will sort it or just the fact that police will be coming might make them shift their backsides into gear to sort it out.

gov.uk/req…elf

You have the right to request closed circuit television (CCTV) footage of yourself.

The CCTV owner must provide this within 40 days, and can charge up to £10.

You need to make a request in writing to the owner of the CCTV system. The owner’s details are usually written on a sign attached to the camera, unless the owner is obvious (like a shop).

You should tell them you’re requesting information held about you under the Data Protection Act, and provide information to help them identify you, like:

a specific date and time
    proof of your identity
    a description of yourself
    The CCTV owner decides how they provide the footage, and can edit it to protect the identities of other people.

The CCTV owner can invite you to a viewing of the footage, but only if they’re unable to provide you with the footage itself.

They can refuse your request if:

the footage has other people in it
    it would put a criminal investigation at risk

Most footage is only held for up to 30 days etc

Not much you can do though, places can have dummy recordings/no camera or no recording facility. If its not recorded then thats the end of it. Really you should be as polite as possible with them so they want to help you.

Banned

Sounds to me like the shopkeep nicked it and his own CCTV incriminates him.

Call the police from inside the shop. That will make him sweat!

Most CCTV systems overwrite footage, so the disk will show as full but it will overwrite the oldest video when it is. It will still record though.

Banned

KillFelix

Sounds to me like the shopkeep nicked it and his own CCTV incriminates … Sounds to me like the shopkeep nicked it and his own CCTV incriminates him.Call the police from inside the shop. That will make him sweat!

Fully agree - of course the shop owner pocketed it. Otherwise he would be glad to keep a customer happy by helping you out.

Not all shop keepers are thieves, I lost my purse once in a shop and after 4 months I had a call from the Library who said I should go to the supermarket where my purse was returned to me along with the money in it. The shop went to the Library as it contained my library card but they would not give me details to the shop so called my myself. I was truly surprised and so pleased that there is still some kind people about. Jumping to the wrong conclusion can get their back up straight away, don't think they know how to use the system if it is recording.

Are you sure you left it inside the shop?

Is it not possible you dropped it on your way home?

Not a police issue i'm afraid.

it is a police issue infact. If the shop keeper or a member of public found it and kept it then it is classed as theft by finding amd can hold a jail sentance.

duaneco

it is a police issue infact. If the shop keeper or a member of public … it is a police issue infact. If the shop keeper or a member of public found it and kept it then it is classed as theft by finding amd can hold a jail sentance.

There is absolutely no evidence of what you're claiming.

duaneco

it is a police issue infact. If the shop keeper or a member of public … it is a police issue infact. If the shop keeper or a member of public found it and kept it then it is classed as theft by finding amd can hold a jail sentance.

I do hope that you are never called for Jury Service.

duaneco

It's a police issue as the OP will need an incident number for insurance claim and the fact the shopkeeper has refused to provide cctv

philphil61

It's a police issue as the OP will need an incident number for insurance … It's a police issue as the OP will need an incident number for insurance claim and the fact the shopkeeper has refused to provide cctv

Insurance claim? .......

Original Poster

Insurance claim did make me laugh. It's a police matter I think because I am claiming that a crime has taken place e.g they stole the wallet.

I mentioned this to him the other day and he said that's OK go and get the police and they will send an officer in to try and obtain the footage because I can't find it.

I thought who the hell has Cctv without any ability to play it back. I had to laugh when he said the police man would be the one who is responsible for finding the footage.

Legendaryjordan

Insurance claim did make me laugh. It's a police matter I think because … Insurance claim did make me laugh. It's a police matter I think because I am claiming that a crime has taken place e.g they stole the wallet. I mentioned this to him the other day and he said that's OK go and get the police and they will send an officer in to try and obtain the footage because I can't find it. I thought who the hell has Cctv without any ability to play it back. I had to laugh when he said the police man would be the one who is responsible for finding the footage.

Seriously, how do you know 100% that you left the wallet in that shop, secondly how much money was in the said wallet?

Original Poster

You're right transit I'm not 100% sure as I walked to my car (3 minute walk) in the meantime, but I need that closure in knowing they haven't pocketted the £120.

Legendaryjordan

You're right transit I'm not 100% sure as I walked to my car (3 minute … You're right transit I'm not 100% sure as I walked to my car (3 minute walk) in the meantime, but I need that closure in knowing they haven't pocketted the £120.

Have you checked the car thoroughly ?

You do realise the shop owner will only provide you with the footage if you make a written request and he can charge you for the privilege?

Request CCTV footage of yourself

You have the right to request closed circuit television (CCTV) footage of yourself.

The CCTV owner must provide this within 40 days, and can charge up to £10.

You need to make a request in writing to the owner of the CCTV system. The owner’s details are usually written on a sign attached to the camera, unless the owner is obvious (like a shop).

You should tell them you’re requesting information held about you under the Data Protection Act, and provide information to help them identify you, like:

a specific date and time
    proof of your identity
    a description of yourself

The CCTV owner decides how they provide the footage, and can edit it to protect the identities of other people.

The CCTV owner can invite you to a viewing of the footage, but only if they’re unable to provide you with the footage itself.

They can refuse your request if:

the footage has other people in it
    it would put a criminal investigation at risk

CCTV footage of a crime

If the CCTV footage relates to a crime and the police have the footage, they will tell you if you can see it.

If someone come into my shop insisting they'd left their wallet there and that one of the staff must of stolen it and I knew this wasn't the case, I wouldn't let them watch CCTV.

Original Poster

You're right transit I'm not 100% sure as I walked to my car (3 minute walk) in the meantime, but I need that closure in knowing they haven't pocketted the £120.

Original Poster

I know they don't have to show me right now but it solves all the hassle of me writing and why wouldn't they show me if they have nothing to hide. I'm not saying they stole it, maybe a shopper did.

Original Poster

It just seems like they are either pretending to not know how to work the CCTV footage or theyre immoral by not helping me.

Original Poster

iCoxyyyy

If someone come into my shop insisting they'd left their wallet there and … If someone come into my shop insisting they'd left their wallet there and that one of the staff must of stolen it and I knew this wasn't the case, I wouldn't let them watch CCTV.

Not a staff member, maybe a shopper

Banned

iCoxyyyy

If someone come into my shop insisting they'd left their wallet there and … If someone come into my shop insisting they'd left their wallet there and that one of the staff must of stolen it and I knew this wasn't the case, I wouldn't let them watch CCTV.

What shop do you own?

Banned

Legendaryjordan

It just seems like they are either pretending to not know how to work the … It just seems like they are either pretending to not know how to work the CCTV footage or theyre immoral by not helping me.

If you came to me with attitude I wouldn't do much to help you out either.

toshapetriji

Exactly my point, not to be harsh but it's you that's lost your wallet. If you asked politely instead of demanding then they'd probably help you (unless they are crooks). I've had countless phones, car keys, wallets, money left in the cash machine and I take the time before anyone's even returned looking to check the CCTV to see who they belong to as I know I'd feel crappy in their shoes! Just hoping karma will pay me back when I'm on the losing end!

Original Poster

toshapetriji

I obviously didn't go to them with any attitude, in not stupid. I realise they wouldn't help me.

I too work in customer service and like you say, it's natural to not want to help someone who is being a dick so I was really nice and thankful when they said they'd look at the CCTV

Villa

What shop do you own?

Currys

Oh dear. The fact of the matter is that you just admitted you walked to your car and your wallet could have gone missing in that time after you left the shop. That implies that you are not 100% certain that it went missing whilst in the shop, but assumed it. I've witnessed endless customers who have been convinced of similar situations, be it cards, wallets and keys. 95% of the time they find them elsewhere eventually. When personal items have been dropped and found, 99% of the time they are handed in and the shops Manager identifies who they belong to and are placed in the safe until the rightful owner can be contacted. In some cases, the Police have called a store only to find that this has happened. I recall this happening with a ladies handbag. I also recall a woman demanding us to call the Police because she thought her car had been stolen but later found that her partner had a spare set of keys and took it without her knowledge! The point is, things go missing for all sorts of reasons but my view is that most of the time, most people are honest and things work out well in the end. Patience is a virtue but I fully understand how stressful this sort of thing can be. I really hope you get your wallet back.

spaceinvader

Currys

I know this is a serious topic but that has made me laugh sooooooo much!!
    Edited by: "wagamamaluva" 18th Dec 2014

Original Poster

Out of order. Go into the shop and the guys giving me attitude saying he phoned someone and they won't come, and "you can do whatever you want to us so do what you're going to do in not helping you." when I've been as polite and understanding as I can be. I can tell in his voice he isn't even interested so what should I do. Do I have to send a subject access request and pay 10 pounds for them to send it to me in 40 days or less. Can I hand the letter in or do I have to send it in the post? If indeed they have no recording is it illegal to have a camera in a shop without recording features or anything like that? I'm so enraged that now I need to go down a different route because they are absolute ****.

googley2

Not all shop keepers are thieves, I lost my purse once in a shop and … Not all shop keepers are thieves, I lost my purse once in a shop and after 4 months I had a call from the Library who said I should go to the supermarket where my purse was returned to me along with the money in it. The shop went to the Library as it contained my library card but they would not give me details to the shop so called my myself. I was truly surprised and so pleased that there is still some kind people about. Jumping to the wrong conclusion can get their back up straight away, don't think they know how to use the system if it is recording.

I agree, there're some kind people out there
    yeah I popped into an older pal's corner shop and a customer had left a purse with cards behind & he wasn't even sure who it belonged to, anyway I looked at the cards and one of them was a Woolwich Market Traders assos member card. I cycled down to the market the following day .. drew a blank with the first few enquiries ,finally struck gold with one trader , who drew herself to her full height and declared the other woman was not a nice person at all and wasn't on speaking terms , but in this instance would tell me where to find her after casting a few further aspersions. Finding the purse owner thereafter was easy, Not that i expected gratitude but she indeed wasn't particularly nice and wondered who'd directed me to her. I had to be vague! She hadn't even remembered leaving the purse in my friends shop Long story short , I'd done my good deed for the day & the purse had been returned leaving me with a little bit more than a flickering glow

You only have the right to see CCTV footage under the Data Protection act IF you are the only one on camera. If there are other people on it then you have to obtain their permission to see it too. This is the law.

If you report it to the Police, they have the authority to request a warrant to see the recording on your behalf. If then the shopkeeper has not erased it, they will be able to investigate (but probably won't due to the low level of incident from their POV).

Not being awkward, but this is how it is - I work with CCTV every day.

The shopkeeper is under no obligation to show it to you, and could be prosecuted if he did and someone else on the recording found out (unlikely, but true).

Sorry to hear of your problems, especially at this time of year.
    Edited by: "RadicalJack72" 18th Dec 2014

RadicalJack72

Not being awkward, but this is how it is - I work with CCTV every day.

What did you do with the wallet?, and why have you put the price up on a Warburtons toastie loaf?

transit

What did you do with the wallet?, and why have you put the price up on a … What did you do with the wallet?, and why have you put the price up on a Warburtons toastie loaf?

Because it is the tastiest loaf in town.

101 - The police non-emergency number

Looking for something else?

101 is the number to call when you want to contact your local police in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland - when it's less urgent than a 999 call.

Original Poster

RadicalJack72

You only have the right to see CCTV footage under the Data Protection act … You only have the right to see CCTV footage under the Data Protection act IF you are the only one on camera. If there are other people on it then you have to obtain their permission to see it too. This is the law.If you report it to the Police, they have the authority to request a warrant to see the recording on your behalf. If then the shopkeeper has not erased it, they will be able to investigate (but probably won't due to the low level of incident from their POV).Not being awkward, but this is how it is - I work with CCTV every day.The shopkeeper is under no obligation to show it to you, and could be prosecuted if he did and someone else on the recording found out (unlikely, but true).Sorry to hear of your problems, especially at this time of year.

thank you for the advice and support everyone on this thread. It means a lot. Can they not edit other people's identity such as blurring their faces out, like they do in all CCTV footage?

Should have waited until shop put out their rubbish then searched bags for discarded wallet if you believe shopkeeper stole it.

If you believe it was lost in street check nearby hedges or public bins for discarded wallet.

Most thieves will pocket cash and want to dispose of wallet asap.

Have you been left short, mate? Can we organise a whip round via paypal for you?

It's rotten losing a wallet or purse any time of the year, but Christmas is coming up and i'd hate for you/your family to go without.

Haven't read the replies so it's probably been answered - but the shopkeeper is right, he's not allowed to show you any footage. Had the same argument when someone hit my car in a carpark -the authorities can view it but we can't (even though it's us in the CCTV)!

spaceinvader

Currys

Mates rates?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Potential upcoming Argos glitch or buggy app?109
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1851337
      3. Vegan (Non-Dairy) Ben & Jerrys now launched in UK!1827
      4. Apples new update610

See more discussions