I like seeing these figures that say things like, illegal downloaders costing record industry £5 billion a year, or illegal gamers costing £3 billion a year, well...

As for the music industry I remember just 10 years ago a CD single costing anywhere from £1.99 to when it came out to £4.49 when it was in the charts, now you can get them for around 29p to 49p.

As for Gaming, you really think that someone that has a dodgy DS or Wii and has 50 games for it really was going to out and spend £30 a game on 50 games? they are only getting it as its free to a maximum couple of quid.

Obviously you would expect them to go out and buy 1 or 2, but not 50.

I in no way Condone, recommend or have any items relating to the above illegal activities.

34 Comments

Banned

Same old story which is going to attract the same old arguments from both sides.

I disagree with illiegal downloading, but it annoys me that these companies make so much money in the first place. I also think the figure is total rubbish. It assumes that people who download an album where going to buy it anyway. I have three or four friends who just download music, and before they where able to download it they just never bought the albums. Mostly they just listened to music on the radio.

yeah I do disagree with piracy but you have to laugh at comments like this:-

He said: "When people play a pirated game that money goes to a criminal, not to the industry."

NO! it was downloaded and no money was exchanged, they do seem to be complete idiots with the geekery community, when they do it for free. I mean it must a really difficult concept for them to understand...............
Edited by: "Alfonse" 21st Jan 2011

Banned

I hope they increase the prices, then I can claim my stash has made me a multi-millionaire.

master_chief

Same old story which is going to attract the same old arguments from both … Same old story which is going to attract the same old arguments from both sides.

Yes...

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…169 ]

BFN,

fp.

Banned

Strong database usage ITT

guv

Strong database usage ITT

Just a good memory.

BFN,

fp.

Agreed. There is some lost revenue, but no where near as much as they claim.

I always laugh when they come out with these figures, its totally made up. I agree with what has been said so far. I dont own a console and never have, but the real reason why is because I just couldnt afford to pay £45 or so for a game, so I never bought one. Its a rip off.

Something else I just thought of. Tesco for example, make billions a year but they always want more, its greed. Even if these software companies where selling double what they sell now, theyd still moan and want more.
Edited by: "apduk" 21st Jan 2011

Does anyone else think that movie executives are putting everything into 3-D in order to stop piracy in the film industry?

DragonChris

Agreed. There is some lost revenue, but no where near as much as they … Agreed. There is some lost revenue, but no where near as much as they claim.

Maybe of a similar scale to the revenue lost with selling pre-owned items in a trading forum.

The introduction of "online pass" codes in some recent video game titles to make pre-owned titles less attraction should have prompted a reduction in retail price of the original items, but it hasn't.

For example, if you could buy "FIFA 2012" for £15 on the day of release, but then had to buy the "online pass" as an optional extra for, say, £20, would that entice more sales... or less?

The "online pass" code would be unique to one user, so that a re-sale of the game disc would require the new owner to buy another "online pass" code.

The retailer gains revenue on each pre-owned sale, if the new owner wishes to play online.

Or... is paying for online multiplayer gaming a bad thing? For example, "DC Universe Online"?

BFN,

fp.

dungavel

Does anyone else think that movie executives are putting everything into … Does anyone else think that movie executives are putting everything into 3-D in order to stop piracy in the film industry?

Did you mean with regards recording movies showing in a cinema to upload to a sharing site (or similar) for everybody else to download, thus losing revenue for the movie industry?

Or, did you mean in relation to pre-recorded media sales?

I have just bought "Resident Evil Afterlife 3D" (Blu-ray Disc) because it also includes the 2D version. It is still available in the "2 for £20" offer at MyMemory.co.uk if anybody else is interested.

If I ever buy a 3D TV (assuming in the future I will still have a choice; although I appreciate one day that will not be the case), then I do not have to re-buy it. I probably would not have done, but I may have wanted to.

If the Blu-ray Disc release had only been available with the 3D version I would not have bought it at all.

BFN,

fp.

master_chief

Same old story which is going to attract the same old arguments from both … Same old story which is going to attract the same old arguments from both sides.

I usually post this

http://www.ilgiraresole.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/piracy.jpg

Then some wise ass posts the reply.........(wait for it......)

It is a tough one, and i agree that the figures they spout are nonsense.

Lets say for arguments sake i have a maximum budget of £50 per month for games, however, i keep the cash and illegally download £2000 worth of games in that month, has the game industry lost £50? or £2000?

I would say technically the £2000 was never there to be lost.

Edited by: "jayjayuk1234" 21st Jan 2011

Banned

fanpages

Yes...[http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/usb-dongle-being-released-so-you-ca/741556?p=9253169 ]BFN,fp.

Not sure what the point is there my good friend?

fanpages

Did you mean with regards recording movies showing in a cinema to upload … Did you mean with regards recording movies showing in a cinema to upload to a sharing site (or similar) for everybody else to download, thus losing revenue for the movie industry?Or, did you mean in relation to pre-recorded media sales?

My thinking was that they may believe that by making things in 3D is cuts the amount of piracy as a consequence of people recording in cinemas. Which does have a knock on effect on post cinema sales.

have a butchers at this

I think a lot of people don't realise that the second hand market is terrible for developers too, they don't see a penny of it

PIRACY FUNDS TERRORISM!

TERRORISM IS BAD!

Hang on, the bloke down the car boot was terrorist? Didn't look like one.

peodude

PIRACY FUNDS TERRORISM!TERRORISM IS BAD!Hang on, the bloke down the car … PIRACY FUNDS TERRORISM!TERRORISM IS BAD!Hang on, the bloke down the car boot was terrorist? Didn't look like one.

You forgot one,

Piracy also causes cancer

jayjayuk1234

You forgot one, Piracy also causes cancer

If there is one thing I hate it's piracy. If there are two things I hate it's piracy and getting cancer.

Say a person wasnt going to buy a game/cd/dvd in the first place, that means the industry doesnt get that persons money. So how is pirating costing the industry money, if that person wasnt going to buy said item in the first place and instead choose to get a digital copy of a game/dvd/cd?

Do the entertainment industries seriously think that all humans on this planet are bound to buy there products, if so then they are mistaken.

Civic EG6

Say a person wasnt going to buy a game/cd/dvd in the first place, that … Say a person wasnt going to buy a game/cd/dvd in the first place, that means the industry doesnt get that persons money. So how is pirating costing the industry money, if that person was going to buy said item in the first place?

The only thing with that, is if someone doesnt buy a game as they know they can easily pirate that is still different than them buying loads of games though.

I.e they pirate as said £2000 worth of games, but if they couldnt pirate they would of spent something like £200.

The industry has lost that £200 not £2000 which does mount up though.

But there are people that always buy the physical copy and those that never will. So the industry will never make money from the latter people whether they pirate or not.

The music, movie and gaming industries should do a trial for say, 6 months, where they slash the prices of all their products.

I'd put money on increased sales. Yes, less profit per sale for them but hopefully they'd still make the same amount of money due to the increased sales.

£5 for a CD or DVD, £10 for a game? I'd buy a lot more of all of those if that were the case!

They need to get with the times really. Piracy has been around for years (Don't Copy That Floppy!! youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI) ... their tactics of shutting down pirate websites and suing customers won't work. For every PirateBay shutdown, there'll be another site pop up to replace it. When OiNK got shutdown, I remember that 2 more sites were created to fill its place. And then they failed to prosecute the OiNK webmaster after 1 or 2 years of dragging the case out in the courts!
Edited by: "oldmanhouse" 21st Jan 2011

I don't understand this. I can buy a dvd for 3 pounds from play, someone has to make the case, make the dvd, burn and print the dvd, wrap the dvd, ship it to play's warehouse. Play then sort and pack it, pay for shipping. I get it, rip it to my server and leave the dvd on a shelf. All for 3 pounds. Or I could download it in half an hour or so.

If you could pay, say 50% less and just download, legally, then I would probably not pirate again. It's not like the infrastructure isn't there

sancho1983

If you could pay, say 50% less and just download, legally, then I would … If you could pay, say 50% less and just download, legally, then I would probably not pirate again. It's not like the infrastructure isn't there

And there is one of the major problems with legal downloads, prices are the same, if not higher in some cases, than the physical copy.

Or netflix, crucially at the same price (about 5 pounds per month), would also work well

Anyone downloaded anything from Bandcamp? I think it's a really good idea... totally eliminates record labels and all that manufacturing bloat by letting artists sell their songs directly to fans.

And the quality doesn't suck! You can even download FLAC for the same price as a lower quality MP3. If labels expand their digital distributional - you can bet anything they'll charge a premium for downloading lossless quality files.

Basically it all boils down to stupidity and greed with teh same old arguments being made.

Costs of downloads are roughly equal to the cost of a physical copy and more often than not are DRMed.
Costs are getting ridiculous for games (especially with the likes of EA who are starting to kill resales with online codes needed, whilst still charging the same amount for the game. Seriously bad mojo IMO)

As has been said earlier I feel quite often when i see something like a cd, film or a game @ £10 or whatever thatr i would buy that at £5 or so (replace values as applicable) and others thinking the same, leading me to think they would be more likely to sell a higher volume at a low price than at a slighly higher.

TBH the argument has been raging for years with no major change in approaches, just a change in behaviour from consumers.

The real idiocy is... The people who actually DO pay for the media are the ones who get burned by either DRM, Incompatibility, Low resale values etc. Its just not right.

Jetpac

The real idiocy is... The people who actually DO pay for the media are … The real idiocy is... The people who actually DO pay for the media are the ones who get burned by either DRM, Incompatibility, Low resale values etc. Its just not right.

That's my real gripe:-
I hate the fact that on all my legitimate DVD / Blu-rays I have to sit through trailers telling me piracy is wrong when I could have downloaded the same quality for FREE and not have my time wasted.
And don't get me started on copy-protected discs that won't play on half your CD players...

Certainly the figures on lost revenue as massive inflated; I do think there are a large number of people who won't pay no matter how low the price; but equally I quite believe that many folks will still buy their £20 a month of material even if they 'pirate' another £200 worth.

Edited by: "wombat6025" 22nd Jan 2011

peodude

PIRACY FUNDS TERRORISM!TERRORISM IS BAD!Hang on, the bloke down the car … PIRACY FUNDS TERRORISM!TERRORISM IS BAD!Hang on, the bloke down the car boot was terrorist? Didn't look like one.

That actually used to be true, and still might be. Time was, the IRA used to derive some of their funding from commercial piracy. Nowadays, I like the idea that Al Qaeda are working to bring down Western capitalist society and to destroy the Western entertainment industry by maintaining really, really good seed ratios, so I'm going to present it as fact.

wombat6025

That's my real gripe:- I hate the fact that on all my legitimate DVD / … That's my real gripe:- I hate the fact that on all my legitimate DVD / Blu-rays I have to sit through trailers telling me piracy is wrong when I could have downloaded the same quality for FREE and not have my time wasted.And don't get me started on copy-protected discs that won't play on half your CD players...Certainly the figures on lost revenue as massive inflated; I do think there are a large number of people who won't pay no matter how low the price; but equally I quite believe that many folks will still buy their £20 a month of material even if they 'pirate' another £200 worth.

It's something that makes me really angre, loose all sympathy for the companies and download media.
I know its not the greatest attitude to have I know. But i refuse to have the limitations imposed on me.

Piracy Happens, it is inevitable. It will not and more to the point CANNOT be stopped. The best and only option is to reduce the occurance of piracy. This is not done by imposing massive fines to those who download a few files, nor is it by draconian control methods. It is by making products accessible in ways people want with no limitations at affordable prices.

i mean seriously £40 retail for an xbox/ps3 game? i buy maybe 1 new game a year the rest are second hand. Drop the price to £20.... thats pretty much impulse buy territory for a brand new game for most

I have to disagree about the pricing strategy. I don't think it will work in the same way that a pay rise is not considered motivation in business. It will help in the short term, but in the long term, the prices will become 'normal' so back to square one.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. A Nigerian prince and bit coins scam44
    2. How dangerous is Donald trump?1121
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846127
    4. Sad news about Barcelona2185

See more discussions