I miss gun games - Wii Zapper, any good?

Found 7th Jan 2013
I was discussing with a mate of how much we used to enjoy Time Crisis, Duck Hunt etc.

After coming to the conclusion that Time Crisis 4 is naff on the PS3 and otherwise there is no other option… The Wii seems like the only choice.

Has anyone used the Wii and the ‘Wii Zapper’?

What are the games like which are available and how do you find the accuracy of the Wii in rail gun shooting games like Time Crisis. On par with the old style games when we all used CRT televisions.

I’d appreciate some honest opinions
Community Updates
20 Comments
Used the wii zapper ages ago think it was the crossbow training & if i remember right one of the medal of honours

Pretty i rubbish imo very jumpy
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 7th Jan 2013
Original Poster
I've not tried any - i'm looking at on rail shooters like Ghost Squad, The House of the Dead: Overkill, Dead Space: Extraction etc

Basically before i go out and buy the games and the Wii Zapper, want to know whether it's worth it. Whether it's as accurate as Time Crisis as a light gun was on old CRT TVs. Don't want to be waiting for a cursor to move slowly, just want to quickly aim, shoot and it's dead.

Only looking to play on rail shooters with it though, not full on Call of Duty type games where ive got to move the character about.

Edited by: "spritey" 7th Jan 2013
Original Poster
Yeah i know but i've not never a point and shoot game with a Wiimote anyway, i've only really played Wii Sports on the Wii. So unsure how the tech translates in terms of accuracy for an on rail shooter.
Original Poster
But how accurate do you find it compared to say Time Crisis for an on rail shooter?
Point Blank is my all time favourite gun game, would love to see a reboot of that
Original Poster
Na as i keep saying fanpages Time Crisis from the CRT days.

I want to know how people find the accuracy when playing the games with the Wii Zapper.
Original Poster
Jesus christ fanpages, you really are one of the most annoying people even when trying to help. Just go away, stop 'trying' to help. You bore me. You have my permission to go elsewhere and no longer post on here.

The original question and post:

What are the games like which are available and how do you find the accuracy of the Wii in rail gun shooting games like Time Crisis. On par with the old style games when we all used CRT televisions.

Also on comment 3.

The reason i want to ignore Time Crisis 4 and have said it's 'Naff' is due to it also being based on sensor technology

I want to know how the current technology on Wii, based on the sensor translates in terms of accuracy. The reason i use the Wii Zapper in the questions is thats what i intend to use.

As the original post says (whole post of me posting), i want to relive the action i had in the old days of Duck Hunt and Time Crisis with CRT televisions. If the current sensor tech does not have the same level of accuracy, i wouldn't bother buying the games or zapper because it would just feel inferior.
spritey

Jesus christ fanpages, you really are one of the most annoying people … Jesus christ fanpages, you really are one of the most annoying people even when trying to help. Just go away, stop 'trying' to help. You bore me. You have my permission to go elsewhere and no longer post on here.

lol, catch up, he is a )*(@$"*&^*

agreed
Lol spritley

Buy a wii zapper ffs how much are they now less than a fiver at a guess ?
Banned
Hi spritey. Yes it's just as good as time crisis on the ps1. House of dead overkill is a good game! But its short. I completed it in one sitting and I dont even play games much.

I havent got a wii zapper. I got a gun from deal extreme that has a nunchuck built into it. I felt better quality to the zapper.
Lol are you all just winding up Spritey?

He doesn't have a wii, but is considering buying one. But first, he wants to know if the shooters are comparable in accuracy and playability to (for example) Time Crisis on the PSX.

And Spritey, calm down :P
jaybear88

Lol are you all just winding up Spritey?He doesn't have a wii, but is … Lol are you all just winding up Spritey?He doesn't have a wii, but is considering buying one. But first, he wants to know if the shooters are comparable in accuracy and playability to (for example) Time Crisis on the PSX.And Spritey, calm down :P

What's he want a zapper for if he hasn't got a wii ?

Bit worried his telly ain't up to the mark also
OldEnglish

What's he want a zapper for if he hasn't got a wii ?Bit worried his telly … What's he want a zapper for if he hasn't got a wii ?Bit worried his telly ain't up to the mark also

Behave yourself, stop being a windup merchant :P
Fanpages, secretly trolling since December 2006.
I miss playing the Virtua Cop games on my Saturn. House of the Dead on Dreamcast brings back fond memories too.

Had a Philips CD-I with various FMV based shooters on it too (Mad Dog Mcree / Thunder in Paradise / Crime Patrol / Who shot Johnny Rock).
In fact that used a sensor that sat on the TV so it might work with modern screens.

Edited by: "MBeeching" 7th Jan 2013
Original Poster
I'm easily wound up today, headache from hell due to an ear infection.

I miss Virtua Cop and Time Crisis loads.. It wasn't about the story line, it was just about having a good shoot. Was something you could pickup for 20 mins and then put down, didn't feel like you had to reach any step. Also, with two people it was perfect.

I'm actually considering just buying the Wii U, wife won't 'Green Light' more than two consoles under the TV and the fact i play my 360 more than PS3, i may aswell get rid of that. To be honest, i dont think the Wii U is that great but if Zelda is like ocarina of time then i'll be sold.. Still doesn't make the console any good though, i'm just a sucker for that game.
spritey

I'm easily wound up today, headache from hell due to an ear infection.I … I'm easily wound up today, headache from hell due to an ear infection.I miss Virtua Cop and Time Crisis loads.. It wasn't about the story line, it was just about having a good shoot. Was something you could pickup for 20 mins and then put down, didn't feel like you had to reach any step. Also, with two people it was perfect.I'm actually considering just buying the Wii U, wife won't 'Green Light' more than two consoles under the TV and the fact i play my 360 more than PS3, i may aswell get rid of that. To be honest, i dont think the Wii U is that great but if Zelda is like ocarina of time then i'll be sold.. Still doesn't make the console any good though, i'm just a sucker for that game.

In that case your going to need a bigger zapper
To answer your question spritey, which everyone seems to have ignored. The Wii (with or without zapper) doesn't offer accuracy on par with the CRT technology simply due to the fact you could aim the old guns at the exact point on the TV you wanted to shoot at whereas with the Wii technology you have to aim slightly above or below dependant on where the sensor bar is. Even then the tracking isn't quite as good.
Original Poster
Damn r3tract, really?

It really seems a shame they just because the tech doesn't work on plasma / LCD TVs that they havent found a suitable replacement, on rail shooters were epic.
SNES superscope , that was an epic game.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions