Groups

I need a 24" monitor... HELP!

Hello,

I am after a 24" monitor under £400, and I was wondering if anyone has used any of the following before;

ebuyer.com/pro…321

Or I was going to go all out and get;

accessories.euro.dell.com/sna…262

The monitor MUST have an HDMI input, and preferably a Component input.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, or if anyone knows of any great deals on the above please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

33 Comments

get a HD tele for that price

ebuyer and dell are both reliable companies.

But I would recommend scan.co.uk, their CS is quite good.

Original Poster

REDRANGER86;2124589

get a HD tele for that price

I have a 40" Sony V3000, but I want a PC monitor as LCD TV's aren't great at being a dedicated PC monitor. I want a PC monitor with the functionality of a TV, rather than a TV with the functionality of a PC monitor (as I already have that).

The-Ted-Shop;2124857

I have a 40" Sony V3000, but I want a PC monitor as LCD TV's aren't great … I have a 40" Sony V3000, but I want a PC monitor as LCD TV's aren't great at being a dedicated PC monitor. I want a PC monitor with the functionality of a TV, rather than a TV with the functionality of a PC monitor (as I already have that).

good point

Banned

accessories.euro.dell.com/sna…262

get this one you can find it for about £400 on ebay, its what I have my eyes on it, dual DVIs component, HDMI, display port, VGA, USB hub memory card omg what a great monitor omgomg

the panel is great also not a cheap TN one like most of the "hot deals" you find on here will give you,

sure you can get a rubbish HD TV for that price or you can get a bad ass monitor, i tried using a TV as a monitor it turned out pretty badly the resolution is too low for such a large screen even at 1080p you need "1920 x 1200 Display" at least

Proximo;2125647

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=147262get this one you can find it for about £400 on ebay, its what I have my eyes on it, dual DVIs component, HDMI, display port, VGA, USB hub memory card omg what a great monitor omgomgthe panel is great also not a cheap TN one like most of the "hot deals" you find on here will give you,sure you can get a rubbish HD TV for that price or you can get a bad ass monitor, i tried using a TV as a monitor it turned out pretty badly the resolution is too low for such a large screen even at 1080p you need "1920 x 1200 Display" at least

The res seems fine to me? 1080p is 1920x1080 pixels and this is larger, you should have no problem viewing proper HDTV stuff on this if you have a powerfu enought gfx card.

PS: Don't touch any other company other than AG Neovo they make the best monitorrs around!

Banned

rash;2126073

The res seems fine to me? 1080p is pixels and this is larger, you should … The res seems fine to me? 1080p is pixels and this is larger, you should have no problem viewing proper HDTV stuff on this if you have a powerfu enought gfx card.PS: Don't touch any other company other than AG Neovo they make the best monitorrs around!

if you try and prop up a 30" TV and sit close to it even at 1920x1080 it's gona suck,

that dell is the perfect size/pixels ratio

If you want HDMI and component ports then I guess you're going to have a non-PC source like a blu-ray player or game console plugged in? If that is the case then you probably want a monitor that scales properly so your inputs retain their correct aspect ratio and don't get distorted. The 2493 doesn't do this properly: hardforum.com/sho…311 and the dell only does it on it's DVI ports: monitortest.blogspot.com/

You could consider the Benq FP241W which I believe scales properly on units made after july 2007 and the cheapr G2400W mentioned in the comparison above.

Banned

rash;2126073

PS: Don't touch any other company other than AG Neovo they make the best … PS: Don't touch any other company other than AG Neovo they make the best monitorrs around!

I cant find any 1920x1200 monitors made by them?
    EndlessWaves;2126215

If you want HDMI and component ports then I guess you're going to have a … If you want HDMI and component ports then I guess you're going to have a non-PC source like a blu-ray player or game console plugged in? If that is the case then you probably want a monitor that scales properly so your inputs retain their correct aspect ratio and don't get distorted. The 2493 doesn't do this properly: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1298311 and the dell only does it on it's DVI ports: http://monitortest.blogspot.com/You could consider the Benq FP241W which I believe scales properly on units made after july 2007 and the cheapr G2400W mentioned in the comparison above.

wow I was all set to buy the 2408WFP but can't ignore that amazing review about the Benq

Original Poster

Proximo;2126479

I cant find any 1920x1200 monitors made by them?wow I was all set to buy … I cant find any 1920x1200 monitors made by them?wow I was all set to buy the 2408WFP but can't ignore that amazing review about the Benq

Yeah me too. I was just about to put an order in, but then I read about the BenQ. I've seen it here for £247, so is it worth saving £160?

ebuyer.com/pro…277

What really puts me off the Dell, is that I can't find anything about 1:1 pixel mapping. But even after reading all the great reviews about the BenQ, I can't help but be drawn to the Dell! Argh, someone please just tell me which one to get!

Proximo;2126479

I cant find any 1920x1200 monitors made by them?wow I was all set to buy … I cant find any 1920x1200 monitors made by them?wow I was all set to buy the 2408WFP but can't ignore that amazing review about the Benq

OMG, you are right AG Neovo don't make 24" TFT's! I just assumed that they did - I mean everyone else does?

I've just had a really good expereince with mine and think it's brilliant! I'm thinking of getting a 24" TFT but £250 seems a little too expensive.

I can get a 22" widescreen for £140, yet an extra 2" would cost an extra £100!

If you want a monitor for gaming on (consoles) make sure it has 1:1 pixel mapping so it scales right. If you are going to be spending anything over £300 or so, try to get a VA panel. The problem is most of the cheap VA panels that can be had (24") for around £200 have no 1:1 pixel mapping, so they make brilliant monitors for PC gaming but anything else I guess could be troublesome.

If you just want a monitor for your PC have a look here:
    hotukdeals.com/ite…dv/
    I believe Misco still have them in stock, so does Saverstore.

If you want one with 1:1 Pixel Mapping and a VA panel then be prepared to pay, although you may get a good one for around £400.

rash;2129218

I can get a 22" widescreen for £140, yet an extra 2" would cost an extra … I can get a 22" widescreen for £140, yet an extra 2" would cost an extra £100!

It's not the size - it's the resolution. If the extra resolution isn't worth it to you then don't go for it. Although if you are after size you can get a 28" viewsonic for £400 (although that is the same resolution as the 24" monitors).

The-Ted-Shop;2128463

Yeah me too. I was just about to put an order in, but then I read about … Yeah me too. I was just about to put an order in, but then I read about the BenQ. I've seen it here for £247, so is it worth saving £160?http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139277

The VA/IPS panels (2408WFP is S-PVA, FP241W is A-MVA) are supposed to have noticibly better picture quality than the TN panels (2493HM, G2400W) but I've never been able to compare them side by side myself so I don't know how much better.

The-Ted-Shop;2128463

What really puts me off the Dell, is that I can't find anything about 1:1 … What really puts me off the Dell, is that I can't find anything about 1:1 pixel mapping. But even after reading all the great reviews about the BenQ, I can't help but be drawn to the Dell! Argh, someone please just tell me which one to get!

monitortest.blogspot.com/ details the scaling properties of the dell. Short version: Both DVI ports scale correctly but HDMI and the analogue ports overscan. So best to use the HDMI for the PC via DVI and use a DVI to HDMI converter for other devices.

I have a revision A04 Dell 2407WFP, fantastic monitor, can't recommend it enough. I'm sure the 2408WPF is just as good if not better. My monitor does support 1:1 pixel mapping. I use it when my Xbox 360 is connected. Also have my Wii connected via component and PC via DVI.

Great monitor. Get one!

Banned

The-Ted-Shop;2128463

Yeah me too. I was just about to put an order in, but then I read about … Yeah me too. I was just about to put an order in, but then I read about the BenQ. I've seen it here for £247, so is it worth saving £160?http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139277What really puts me off the Dell, is that I can't find anything about 1:1 pixel mapping. But even after reading all the great reviews about the BenQ, I can't help but be drawn to the Dell! Argh, someone please just tell me which one to get!

lol no this is the above one vvvvv

ebuyer.com/pro…982

the one you linked is cheaper and the quality is probably reflective of that

EndlessWaves;2129474

It's not the size - it's the resolution. If the extra resolution isn't … It's not the size - it's the resolution. If the extra resolution isn't worth it to you then don't go for it. Although if you are after size you can get a 28" viewsonic for £400 (although that is the same resolution as the 24" monitors).The VA/IPS panels (2408WFP is S-PVA, FP241W is A-MVA) are supposed to have noticibly better picture quality than the TN panels (2493HM, G2400W) but I've never been able to compare them side by side myself so I don't know how much better.

wait i thought the BenQ was S-IPS

if i were you, i'd go for the samsung at ebuyer, its got 1080p resolution (or at least i think)

Banned

which samsung

The FP241W is a P-MVA Panel. Same panel as what is in the Yuraku but has 1:1 Pixel Mapping (latest revision). Good monitor, whether it is worth the £200+ more for the mapping though is I guess the choice of whoever is paying it. I went for the Yuraku, shame I cannot get a hold of the firmware BenQ used to flash the first batch of the FP241W which had no 1:1 mapping. Otherwise the Yuraku would be an even better buy.. Guess I am just getting greedy lol

Banned

that Yuraku has limited inputs, no HDMI for one thing.....not gonna look into it's colour performance etc im sure its relative to the price

Yeah, there is no HDMI but it does have HDCP over DVI - Colour performance is the same as the FP241W - it is the same panel. Just go read some reviews about the FP241Ws colour reproduction and the same goes for the Yuraku heh. Trust me, it absolutely gorgeous.

Here is a comparison chart between a Yuraku clone and an Eizo Flexscan (one of the most expensive monitor manufacturers around).

digitalversus.com/due…h=6

Look at the colour charts after calibration.

Proximo;2129570

wait i thought the BenQ was S-IPS

No, the only 24" S-IPS monitors availible for purchase new in the UK are the Hazro HZ24W and the screen in the 24" iMac.

The FP241W is an MVA panel (either an P-MVA or A-MVA depending on who's doing the labeling).

PhearFactor;2129801

Yeah, there is no HDMI but it does have HDCP over DVI - Colour … Yeah, there is no HDMI but it does have HDCP over DVI - Colour performance is the same as the FP241W - it is the same panel. Just go read some reviews about the FP241Ws colour reproduction and the same goes for the Yuraku heh. Trust me, it absolutely gorgeous.http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=303&mo1=343&p1=3215&ma2=119&ph=6Look at the colour charts after calibration.

DigitalVersus can be useful but you need to understand the tests. The 'colours after calibration' test is useful for people working professionally with colours as it shows how accurate the monitor can be when calibrated with a £200 colourimeter. If it's very accurate then this allows you to be sure that the colour you see on screen will be the same colour you get in your photo when it comes back from the printers.

For the average user it's not that useful because they're not going to double the cost of the monitor by buying a colourimeter of that standard and the average home printer isn't calibrated for accurate colour either.

Looking at the other charts for the MB24W I see that it's black level doesn't decrease when the brightness gets turned down like most new monitors. I wonder if this is a peculiarity of that screen or whether the BenQ FP241W shares it. (lower black levels means blacker blacks).

Original Poster

I've been doing a LOT of research, so I thought I'd share it with everyone...

The Dell 2408WFP does have some issues, as have been highlighted in some reviews. According to Dell Technical Support - they are aware of this and hardware revision A01 (the current revision is A00) should be out "around the 20th of May" - and would you look at that, it's tomorrow

Now I don't expect it to be out tomorrow, but I can hold out a little while longer as the 2408WFP does seem like the monitor to get, I just hope they've fixed all of the issues.

Regardless, what I've decided to do is buy both the Dell 2408WFP, and both the BenQ G2400W and FP241W. It's costly I know, but I want to get this right.

I will post my findings (likely to be in a couple of weeks time as I move house in a week, so not the best time to buy more junk )

But if anyone finds a great deal on any of the above, or alternatively thinks I'm getting a bad selection of monitors to test - please do let me know! I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!

Banned

The-Ted-Shop;2134326

I've been doing a LOT of research, so I thought I'd share it with … I've been doing a LOT of research, so I thought I'd share it with everyone...The Dell 2408WFP does have some issues, as have been highlighted in some reviews. According to Dell Technical Support - they are aware of this and hardware revision A01 (the current revision is A00) should be out "around the 20th of May" - and would you look at that, it's tomorrow :)Now I don't expect it to be out tomorrow, but I can hold out a little while longer as the 2408WFP does seem like the monitor to get, I just hope they've fixed all of the issues.Regardless, what I've decided to do is buy both the Dell 2408WFP, and both the BenQ G2400W and FP241W. It's costly I know, but I want to get this right.I will post my findings (likely to be in a couple of weeks time as I move house in a week, so not the best time to buy more junk )But if anyone finds a great deal on any of the above, or alternatively thinks I'm getting a bad selection of monitors to test - please do let me know! I would greatly appreciate it.Cheers!

wow that's some insane spending let me know your results as I will probably base my decision based on your comparison, I am all ready to get the BenQ but the dell has more inputs I would love for the panel to be better hope it gets better in the next revision.

The-Ted-Shop;2134326

Regardless, what I've decided to do is buy both the Dell 2408WFP, and … Regardless, what I've decided to do is buy both the Dell 2408WFP, and both the BenQ G2400W and FP241W. It's costly I know, but I want to get this right.But if anyone finds a great deal on any of the above, or alternatively thinks I'm getting a bad selection of monitors to test - please do let me know! I would greatly appreciate it.Cheers!

I don't think you've mentioned exactly what you're doing but if this is for movie watching then those three seem like a good choice. You could perhaps consider the Hazro 24" S-IPS but it's got no HDCP so that may be an issue).

I don't think anyone's posted the LCD24 link yet, so here it is: lcd24-7.info It's a worldwide database of 24" monitors, a large number of them aren't availible here but it can be handy for looking stuff up.

EndlessWaves;2133132

Looking at the other charts for the MB24W I see that it's black level … Looking at the other charts for the MB24W I see that it's black level doesn't decrease when the brightness gets turned down like most new monitors. I wonder if this is a peculiarity of that screen or whether the BenQ FP241W shares it. (lower black levels means blacker blacks).

Yeah the backlight does seem bright but on the Quality of greys test beside the Eizo I think the MB24W panel performs better. The Eizo's seem a little milky. Although they are not 100% accurate, I still think for the price it is an amazing panel.

I will look forward to seeing if The-Ted-Shop goes for the BenQ FP241W over the competition :thumbsup:

digitalversus.com/due…h=8
    Comparison between the FP241W and the MB24W for you Endless, does it suffer from the same backlight issue or is it hard to tell from the tests? I am not sure exactly what I am looking for but the colour charts do look very similar, the Gamut triangle things almost look identical.

PhearFactor;2137386

Comparison between the FP241W and the MB24W for you Endless, does it … Comparison between the FP241W and the MB24W for you Endless, does it suffer from the same backlight issue or is it hard to tell from the tests? I am not sure exactly what I am looking for but the colour charts do look very similar, the Gamut triangle things almost look identical.

It's under the contrast measurements. At the two brightness levels (100 cd/m², 200 cd/m²) the black level is almost identical. If you look at most other monitors like the Dell 2408WFP or the BenQ G2400W the black level nearly halves when the brightness is reduced.

Banned

What do you reckon then, wait for the upcoming revision of Dell 2408WFP (so many inputs omg) or go for the BenQ

I just read somewhere that 1080p on such a small device is pointless. I kind of understand becuse the pixels are so small and so is the screen. The best thing to do would be to SEE the actual thing working!

Original Poster

rash;2152960

I just read somewhere that 1080p on such a small device is pointless. I … I just read somewhere that 1080p on such a small device is pointless. I kind of understand becuse the pixels are so small and so is the screen. The best thing to do would be to SEE the actual thing working!

From what I read, the only people that claim 1080p to be "pointless" are from the people who only have 720p/1080i monitors / tv's.

For anyone to buy a non-1080p TV in this day an age, in my view is a bit of a waste of money. 1080p just future-proofs your purchase that little bit better, regardless of screen size.

Banned

uhh you notice 1080p when you are using it as a monitor maybe not on a TV

Proximo;2155933

uhh you notice 1080p when you are using it as a monitor maybe not on a TV

Yes, the comment may or may not be true for a TV but it's certainly not true for a monitor - there a big difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1200 for PC use.

If you didn't get one yet this Belinea o.display is on sale for £205. Has HDMI

oyyy.co.uk/pro…te_
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?2292
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917257
      3. Sad news about Barcelona2396
      4. Xbox One X pre order £449.99 @ Game (out 9th Nov)2457

See more discussions