I Need a New Boiler!

Posted 1st Apr
Hi. I hope everyone is well!

My boiler has been on its way out for a good few months now but it has finally given up whilst we are isolating (none of us are ill)!

The thing that has always put me off getting a new boiler is that there are so many different ones available and whenever I ask about a make or model I get polar opposite answers. I suppose everyone has their own first hand experiences with a boiler.

My question:

Given that I am on a budget and want a reliable boiler for the cheapest price available (don't we all), what do people think of the following deals that I have been offered?

Ideal Logic Combi 30kW- £1300.00

Heatline Capriz 28c- £1,500

Worcester Bosh Greenstar 25i- £1,845

Baxi 630- £2100

All these boilers are from either Boxt or Local Heroes and include installation, a system flush, a wireless thermostat and some sort of warranty, ranging from 4 to 10 years.

I'd love to go for the first option, as it's the cheapest but I don't want to regret it 2 years down the line.

Any comments or opinions will be very gratefully received. I will have to go for one of these options in the next few days.

Thanks in advance

Andy
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

54 Comments
All depends on the size of your house, how many radiators are being fed, your hot water requirements, how your showers are fed etc.
dont go with the cheapest, go with a one with the best warranty, we bought from Boxt, had a few issues after installation but would use them again and they were much cheaper.
What's the 30kW Worcester price for a fair comparison?

There's very little difference in build quality between them all. Work out how much extra per year you are paying for warranty and decide which works out best value for money (assuming you will maintain the annual service requirements).

A local independant installer will easily be able to provide a quote for similar costs, but probably installed to a much higher standard (because they care about retaining a customer, not selling the finance package).
fearghalg01/04/2020 16:12

All depends on the size of your house, how many radiators are being fed, …All depends on the size of your house, how many radiators are being fed, your hot water requirements, how your showers are fed etc.

Well these have all been recommended by the sites after I gave them these details.
My house is a 3 bedroom semi detached. 1 bath, 1 power shower, 8 radiators (2 very small ones)
We have an Ideal Logic with a 10 year warranty ( you have to have an annual service for this). Had it over 3 years now and it's always run smoothly. Both my Son and Son in Law are Gas fitters and use these boilers.
eslick01/04/2020 16:15

dont go with the cheapest, go with a one with the best warranty, we bought …dont go with the cheapest, go with a one with the best warranty, we bought from Boxt, had a few issues after installation but would use them again and they were much cheaper.

The Boxt options are the Heatline Capriz and the Worcester Bosh.

The cheapest option has a 10 year warranty which surprised me.
Had an ideal fitted 2 years ago no issues so far.

But would pay more for one with 10 year warranty.
Look on ebay lots on there fully fitted.
Where are you derby for eg.
Then someone on her might be able to recommend a fitter.
I use these people to service my boiler as needed the CP12 cert as well only £60.
homesosnetwork.co.uk/lan…ces
aandyr12301/04/2020 16:24

The Boxt options are the Heatline Capriz and the Worcester Bosh.The …The Boxt options are the Heatline Capriz and the Worcester Bosh.The cheapest option has a 10 year warranty which surprised me.

If the Logic has a ten year warranty I would bite their arm off.
themorgatron01/04/2020 16:19

What's the 30kW Worcester price for a fair comparison?There's very little …What's the 30kW Worcester price for a fair comparison?There's very little difference in build quality between them all. Work out how much extra per year you are paying for warranty and decide which works out best value for money (assuming you will maintain the annual service requirements).A local independant installer will easily be able to provide a quote for similar costs, but probably installed to a much higher standard (because they care about retaining a customer, not selling the finance package).

The Worcester 30i is £1,970.

I would like to go through a local independent installer but I'm not sure how easy this would be in this current climate. Getting people to come out and give me a quote? Also, do I buy the boiler and then they install it or do they usually do an 'all-in' service?

Thank you
bigwheels01/04/2020 16:27

Had an ideal fitted 2 years ago no issues so far.But would pay more for …Had an ideal fitted 2 years ago no issues so far.But would pay more for one with 10 year warranty.Look on ebay lots on there fully fitted.Where are you derby for eg.Then someone on her might be able to recommend a fitter.I use these people to service my boiler as needed the CP12 cert as well only £60.https://www.homesosnetwork.co.uk/landlord-services

Thanks for that. So the ideal has a 10 year parts and labour included. Does that make this a good deal in your opinion?

I'm from Bolton.
themorgatron01/04/2020 16:28

If the Logic has a ten year warranty I would bite their arm off.

Really?

That was my thinking. If I get it serviced every year, they'll have to sort it, even if it went wrong. I just don't always want to be dealing with problems.
aandyr12301/04/2020 16:30

Thanks for that. So the ideal has a 10 year parts and labour included. …Thanks for that. So the ideal has a 10 year parts and labour included. Does that make this a good deal in your opinion? I'm from Bolton.

Sorry, No it has 2 year.
Thats why I said go for one with 10 year warranty and pay a bit more.
I will look on ebay an see if I can find one close to you.
bigwheels01/04/2020 16:32

Sorry, No it has 2 year.Thats why I said go for one with 10 year warranty …Sorry, No it has 2 year.Thats why I said go for one with 10 year warranty and pay a bit more.I will look on ebay an see if I can find one close to you.

I meant the ideal that I have been quoted has a 10 year guarantee.

Thanks very much for having a look. I would much appreciate that. It's very kind of you
aandyr12301/04/2020 16:32

Really? That was my thinking. If I get it serviced every year, they'll …Really? That was my thinking. If I get it serviced every year, they'll have to sort it, even if it went wrong. I just don't always want to be dealing with problems.

Are you sure the ten years isn't just the heat exchanger? Logic normally has a 2 year warranty, with the Logic + 7 years.

The Logic+ boiler and flue alone comes to £1000, add a magnetic filter and chemicals at £100, another £50 for a thermostat and there's not much left for labour!
Ebay closest to you first

ebay.co.uk/sch…p=7

Baxi 825 supplied and fitted with 10 years guarantee , ebay £1300 174052342937
Not sure if they cover your area.
I went with Make combo boiler combo for £700 two years ago.
No issues so far. Comes with 5 year warranty.
Main is subsidiary of Baxi.
themorgatron01/04/2020 16:36

Are you sure the ten years isn't just the heat exchanger? Logic normally …Are you sure the ten years isn't just the heat exchanger? Logic normally has a 2 year warranty, with the Logic + 7 years.The Logic+ boiler and flue alone comes to £1000, add a magnetic filter and chemicals at £100, another £50 for a thermostat and there's not much left for labour!

You're right , just had the paper work out for ours which is a plus and it is 7 years warranty and 10 years for the heat exchanger. Son paid £930 , 3 years ago at trade , for boiler flue and filter , so your pricing is about right too. Could be they have got a special price for bulk buying?
themorgatron01/04/2020 16:36

Are you sure the ten years isn't just the heat exchanger? Logic normally …Are you sure the ten years isn't just the heat exchanger? Logic normally has a 2 year warranty, with the Logic + 7 years.The Logic+ boiler and flue alone comes to £1000, add a magnetic filter and chemicals at £100, another £50 for a thermostat and there's not much left for labour!

40251225-kkema.jpg40251225-KuNHG.jpg40251225-DUBwN.jpg
These are screenshots of my quote
bigwheels01/04/2020 16:44

Ebay closest to you …Ebay closest to you firsthttps://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=combi+boiler+fitted&_sacat=0&_stpos=BL1+1RU&_fcid=3&_sop=7Baxi 825 supplied and fitted with 10 years guarantee , ebay £1300 174052342937Not sure if they cover your area.

Another one to look at 222817046427
Edited by: "bigwheels" 1st Apr
bigwheels01/04/2020 16:44

Ebay closest to you …Ebay closest to you firsthttps://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=combi+boiler+fitted&_sacat=0&_stpos=BL1+1RU&_fcid=3&_sop=7Baxi 825 supplied and fitted with 10 years guarantee , ebay £1300 174052342937Not sure if they cover your area.

Thanks.

I'm going to have a look at this later. I really appreciate the time you have spent having a look for me. Have you used a service off ebay before? I wouldn't normally have considered this!
aandyr12301/04/2020 16:55

Thanks. I'm going to have a look at this later. I really appreciate the …Thanks. I'm going to have a look at this later. I really appreciate the time you have spent having a look for me. Have you used a service off ebay before? I wouldn't normally have considered this!

No, But most are a local company so can look for feedback online first.
aandyr12301/04/2020 16:52

[Image] [Image] [Image] These are screenshots of my quote

I would confirm that warranty, It's not even a Logic + so reckon they are deliberately being misleading.

Please take a moment to have a brief look at some of the past installs by anyone advertising on ebay. The company in the first link don't give 2 hoots about making anything look even remotely neat, and they are fitting very cheap and nasty filters to save money.
themorgatron01/04/2020 17:03

I would confirm that warranty, It's not even a Logic + so reckon they are …I would confirm that warranty, It's not even a Logic + so reckon they are deliberately being misleading.Please take a moment to have a brief look at some of the past installs by anyone advertising on ebay. The company in the first link don't give 2 hoots about making anything look even remotely neat, and they are fitting very cheap and nasty filters to save money.

Oh no!

See this is what worries me. I have no idea about things like that.

Misleading warranties... Cheap and nasty filters 😳
Edited by: "aandyr123" 1st Apr
My personal boiler choices based on owning 3 boilers
> Worcester Bosch

Which? choice
> Worcester Bosch

My mate who owns over 12 boilers
> Worcester Bosch
aandyr12301/04/2020 16:28

...Also, do I buy the boiler and then they install it or do they usually …...Also, do I buy the boiler and then they install it or do they usually do an 'all-in' service?Thank you

Would suggest only consider installer-supplied-and-fitted, otherwise there is potential for the supplier to blame the installer for any subsequent faults and vice-versa.
aandyr12301/04/2020 16:28

...Also, do I buy the boiler and then they install it or do they usually …...Also, do I buy the boiler and then they install it or do they usually do an 'all-in' service?Thank you

Also find out which supply+fit installers accept direct credit card payment. Paying as little as 1p (one penny) on credit card directly to trader would satisfy one qualification for separate S75 protection in addition to and to replicate whatever warranty was supplied by the trader, just in case the trader and / or manufacturer ceased to be able to meet warranty obligations during the warranty term.
AndyRoyd01/04/2020 17:57

Also find out which supply+fit installers accept direct credit card …Also find out which supply+fit installers accept direct credit card payment. Paying as little as 1p (one penny) on credit card directly to trader would satisfy one qualification for separate S75 protection in addition to and to replicate whatever warranty was supplied by the trader, just in case the trader and / or manufacturer ceased to be able to meet warranty obligations during the warranty term.

A most excellent idea on any shopping day but especially now.
Id would go for a Valliant and then second Worcester Bosh
both under £1000 to buy and then installation and flush £500-£600. Do a little bargaining
Edited by: "Sandy1012" 1st Apr
I don't know if this will help or not, but worth a look? Discounts, grants and advice. moneysavingexpert.com/fam…ng/
ccnp01/04/2020 17:16

My personal boiler choices based on owning 3 boilers> Worcester …My personal boiler choices based on owning 3 boilers> Worcester BoschWhich? choice> Worcester BoschMy mate who owns over 12 boilers> Worcester Bosch

So you recommend Worcester Bosch

They are the go to boiler so I've heard. It's just more expensive, but maybe there is a reason why they are!!!!
aninginaneana01/04/2020 18:59

I don't know if this will help or not, but worth a look? Discounts, grants …I don't know if this will help or not, but worth a look? Discounts, grants and advice. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/grant-grabbing/

Wow! Thank you to everyone for your help. I'll have a look at it now.

Sometimes, the people using this website can be very quick to shoot other people down. I'm very grateful to anyone who has commented.
Sandy101201/04/2020 18:42

Id would go for a Valliant and then second Worcester Bosh both under £1000 …Id would go for a Valliant and then second Worcester Bosh both under £1000 to buy and then installation and flush £500-£600. Do a little bargaining

It's the buying one, going getting it, then picking out a local tradesman that puts me off! Usually, I wouldn't think twice but in this current climate, I think I'd rather just pay one company to come and do the whole thing!

Thank you very much for the help though. Much appreciated!
Op, you live near me, and I can recommend a contractor- I’ve been using them 20 years. They told me they don’t rate the Worcester Bosch anymore as the full boiler has to come off the wall to get to the back, if that makes sense. They recommended and fitted a new valiant for me last year, 5 year parts and labour warranty. It’s amazingly good. House warms up so quickly now. I have hive with it too
juggler101/04/2020 19:43

Op, you live near me, and I can recommend a contractor- I’ve been using t …Op, you live near me, and I can recommend a contractor- I’ve been using them 20 years. They told me they don’t rate the Worcester Bosch anymore as the full boiler has to come off the wall to get to the back, if that makes sense. They recommended and fitted a new valiant for me last year, 5 year parts and labour warranty. It’s amazingly good. House warms up so quickly now. I have hive with it too

How much was that, if you don't mind me asking? Who is the contractor?
Vaillant combi.
bigwheels01/04/2020 16:27

Had an ideal fitted 2 years ago no issues so far.But would pay more for …Had an ideal fitted 2 years ago no issues so far.But would pay more for one with 10 year warranty.Look on ebay lots on there fully fitted.Where are you derby for eg.Then someone on her might be able to recommend a fitter.I use these people to service my boiler as needed the CP12 cert as well only £60.https://www.homesosnetwork.co.uk/landlord-services

That’s a great price for the service and certified. Will save the link
Edited by: "njl30" 1st Apr
aandyr12301/04/2020 19:58

How much was that, if you don't mind me asking? Who is the contractor?

Ive pm’d you
I'll probably be in the market for a new boiler and most likely will go with a WB all in Boxt.
Get it repaired. This is not a time to get contractors in to install a new boiler.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions